A player who would like to ask if something would be tasteful enough to be used at the table.


GM Discussion


I understand that most players have had a character who was a drunk, their are even archetypes that pertain to being a drunk. What I'm asking is, what if I had a character who used another substance?

My idea is kind of me just being silly but it's the only druid backstory I've come up with I find entertaining.

"I was studying to become a botanist. On one of my excursions I encountered a grove full of a plant I had never seen. I take it back to camp and began inspecting it. After I had determined it wasn't poisonous I began searching for any practical applications. After several fruitless tests I decided to ingest some. Nothing happened for a while and it was late so I retired for the night. I began to have a strange, good feeling as I was readying for bed, and was given a vision by Gozreh. I am now a druid and commune with Gozreh by smoking or eating this plant."

The only way this will affect gameplay is if I ever perform the augury, I will simply roll and smoke this plant, like a joint or something.

Would this be an acceptable character to bring to a society table, a certain amount of discretion can be involved if there are children at the table btw.

4/5

Look into flayleaf.


Ok I can do that, doesn't answer the question tho. Also I should mention this is for society play.


Shame Flayleaf damages wisdom, oh well, it is for a good cause.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would just describe it as being a pungent tobacco, if anyone asks say it's got a strong skunklike smell. No need to take wisdom damage for the sake of roleplay.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

pot druid #40305025


I disagree dwayne, I disagree. I may not be the best role-player, but nothing is so boring to be seen played or play alongside of, a character with no character. Their needs to be more emphasis on role-play me thinks.


Sorry Lamontius, Druids have a terrible pitch for character ideas, just terrible, so instead of something cool, I decided to make it funny because that is much easier.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jack of Nothing wrote:
I disagree dwayne, I disagree. I may not be the best role-player, but nothing is so boring to be seen played or play alongside of, a character with no character. Their needs to be more emphasis on role-play me thinks.

You misunderstand me. You want your chracter to be smoking weed and there is no reason that your character can't do that. But marijuana isn't in the rules of the game, so you can smoke flayleaf and take wisdom damage when you do, (so not that often unless you want to be casting lesser restoration on yourself) or you can call it a strong smelling tobacco and make it obvious what you are doing, but have it be a part of your character (he smokes so much he isn't negativly impacted anymore or This is a part of the characters core being and his god doesn't let him loose wisdom from smoking it) whatever you choose. As long as you gain no benefits from your character smoking it then you shouldn't have to take penalties either.

On the other hand if you just want your character to use flayleaf and get the benefits and wisdom damage from it then that's fine too. It's your character. I'm not saying only do things that are mechanicly beneficial for your character, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have this character be the biggest stoner ever. I'm just pointing out that you can decide how big of an impact it has on the game. It can be purely a flavorful part of RPing him or it can bring all the mechanics with it too. If you don't think you can have flavor without a mechanic, then certainly do it that way, but I disagree that it is nessecary.


It would only be smoked during the adventure if I cast augury lol. Also it has a fairly easy save to negate the bad effects. Worst thing that's gonna happen is that I'm gonna be able to say my character died cuz he got stoned. :)

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver aka roll4initiative

Jack of Nothing wrote:
Sorry Lamontius, Druids have a terrible pitch for character ideas, just terrible, so instead of something cool, I decided to make it funny because that is much easier.

O.O Whaaat? How do druids have a terrible pitch?

Sovereign Court 5/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
roll4initiative wrote:
Jack of Nothing wrote:
Sorry Lamontius, Druids have a terrible pitch for character ideas, just terrible, so instead of something cool, I decided to make it funny because that is much easier.
O.O Whaaat? How do druids have a terrible pitch?

Well compared to a bard, druids tend to have terrible pitch


Ah that was priceless.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kigvan wrote:
roll4initiative wrote:
Jack of Nothing wrote:
Sorry Lamontius, Druids have a terrible pitch for character ideas, just terrible, so instead of something cool, I decided to make it funny because that is much easier.
O.O Whaaat? How do druids have a terrible pitch?
Well compared to a bard, druids tend to have terrible pitch

Except for plant druids

Shadow Lodge 4/5

the adventurer's armory player companion has a section on herbs and black market items (pesh, flayleaf, etc), which are all legal for pfs play.


Doesn't it defeat the purpose of black market items if they are legal?

hue hue hue

The Exchange

I think this is acceptable at tables. Even if you didn't describe what you were doing (maybe age or other concerns at the table) you can still use the items for mechanical effects.

The Alchemy Manual has some pesh related things. Real men use Daemon Seed legal from Horseman of the Apocalypse and use some Amp to double the effects.

1/5

Also in "MANY" cultures taking mind enhancing substances was essential for shamanistic rituals. I find your idea to incorporate this not only cool, but applaudable.

Sczarni 4/5

@Jack of Nothing

While I would say that concept is "cool" I would advise you to refrain yourself from doing it near young minors and children at the table.

Scarab Sages 4/5 ⦵⦵

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

WOO! Smoke leaf every day!

Grand Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Great Lakes aka TwilightKnight

1 person marked this as a favorite.

In most cases, if you have to ask "Would this be offensive" it probably will be to at least some number of players. Therefore, its best not to play it outside of your own local group (if at all) where you already know their level of acceptance and comfort.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 Venture-Captain, Virginia—Richmond aka Slothsy

All of the stores I organize game days for stress that they are family stores. As such, our behavior guidelines explicitly call out that drug use in-character is not acceptable for public game days. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Grand Lodge 3/5

We have a Kinetisist in our area that has taken ranks in slight of hand and a day job of herbalist. Guess what he does when someone wants to enjoy their adventure? It was funny, watching him trying to sell some Pesh in front of party members who abstain from most vices..... Instead we traded with the fact that he helps the Dwarf Battlerager fight things, he can give it away to the other characters for his safety.

Dark Archive 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My Ranger Eliza is a Pesh dealer. This has actually helped us through a few roleplaying encounters, because a doped up guard is a happy, complacent guard. I wouldn't take her to a table where I don't know the regular comfort level, but she's great fun at our local tables.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
dwayne germaine wrote:
I would just describe it as being a pungent tobacco, if anyone asks say it's got a strong skunklike smell. No need to take wisdom damage for the sake of roleplay.

If you're going to do this at my table I WILL impose the collatreal effects. You're either taking drugs, or you are not. Deduct appropriate costs from your chronicle earned gold and roll the appropriate saving throws.


LazarX wrote:
dwayne germaine wrote:
I would just describe it as being a pungent tobacco, if anyone asks say it's got a strong skunklike smell. No need to take wisdom damage for the sake of roleplay.
If you're going to do this at my table I WILL impose the collatreal effects. You're either taking drugs, or you are not. Deduct appropriate costs from your chronicle earned gold and roll the appropriate saving throws.

He doesn't need to be smoking a listed drug in the game. It could easily be an herb with no effect at all. I would be surprised to see a druid smoking oak leaves or something.


Lamontius wrote:
pot druid #40305025

Lamontius numbered comment #64884278

The Exchange

Quote:
He doesn't need to be smoking a listed drug in the game. It could easily be an herb with no effect at all.

I'd be pretty disappointed if someone made a character such as this and wasn't using a listed drug with all the side effects. I feel like there's no reason to halfheartedly use the flavor of something but back down when the rules come into play.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The only thing I'd ask... is keep it at an adults table.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

We had a bawd at one table. I told the kid I didn't know what it was either.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Ragoz wrote:
Quote:
He doesn't need to be smoking a listed drug in the game. It could easily be an herb with no effect at all.
I'd be pretty disappointed if someone made a character such as this and wasn't using a listed drug with all the side effects. I feel like there's no reason to halfheartedly use the flavor of something but back down when the rules come into play.

The addiction rules are rather harsh.

Scarab Sages 5/5

pauljathome wrote:
Ragoz wrote:
Quote:
He doesn't need to be smoking a listed drug in the game. It could easily be an herb with no effect at all.
I'd be pretty disappointed if someone made a character such as this and wasn't using a listed drug with all the side effects. I feel like there's no reason to halfheartedly use the flavor of something but back down when the rules come into play.
The addiction rules are rather harsh.

actually - I've been using Clearear for...errr (twitch)... 11 levels now - every scenario - every game - 3 doses a day.

Adddiction isn't ...errr(twitch).... a problem. Withdrawl can be a real bummer though.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

pauljathome wrote:
Ragoz wrote:
Quote:
He doesn't need to be smoking a listed drug in the game. It could easily be an herb with no effect at all.
I'd be pretty disappointed if someone made a character such as this and wasn't using a listed drug with all the side effects. I feel like there's no reason to halfheartedly use the flavor of something but back down when the rules come into play.
The addiction rules are rather harsh.

apparently they were taken from a home brew based on 1980s public service announcements.

Sovereign Court 5/5

I know several PCs that seem to be adicted to Cure Light Wounds spells - Potions or from a Wand.

Just saying....

Silver Crusade 5/5 ⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Germany—Bavaria

Muse wrote:

I know several PCs that seem to be adicted to Cure Light Wounds spells - Potions or from a Wand.

Just saying....

You haven't seen my Hunter and her wand of heighten awareness, she really can't get out of bed without at least one charge ^^

Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / A player who would like to ask if something would be tasteful enough to be used at the table. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in GM Discussion