50 Shades of Prudishness


Off-Topic Discussions

351 to 393 of 393 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It also alienates people who could have been your allies.


What does? Writing plays about nebbishy liberal dorks who make fun of their own (correctly perceived or not) privilege? (I've now read the article.)

Another article with a more fleshed out summary of the plot: My Three Sons and All Their Troubles

(Slightly edited)

Liberty's Edge

Frankly I have no idea what they're on about.

You comment on your friends remarks that otherwise great leftist men are worthless in the sack. I mention it reminds me of comments I heard Ms Lee make about a character in one of her plays.

Then, much like the comments on that article, people start talking about other stuff entirely.


Freehold DM wrote:
I wouldn't call this hateful in the slightest, but it isn't helpful either- throwing centuries of know-your-place-type thought back into the faces of the decendents(who certainly benefited from it in earlier points of their life and continue to do so in the long run, but are not necessarily responsible for it) provides visercal satisfaction, but doesn't really address anything.

Also, making a very bad argument undercuts your ability to make good ones, especially since discrimination arguments have to rely in no small part on personal experiences. If someone is going to see the manifestation of the zeitgeist in a cheese sandwich I'm going to add a little more salt to their claims that they've experienced discrimination.


Krensky wrote:

Frankly I have no idea what they're on about.

You comment on your friends remarks that otherwise great leftist men are worthless in the sack. I mention it reminds me of comments I heard Ms Lee make about a character in one of her plays.

Then, much like the comments on that article, people start talking about other stuff entirely.

I think I see the problem -you posted without replying, so it looked unconnected to the earlier post. I thought it was a point on its own, not connected to earlier ones. Sorry about that!

Viewed from the correct lens, yes, you have a damn good point-and an interesting one.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Last couple of days have been pretty harsh as La Principessa alternately rages and cries about her freeloading alcoholic previously undocumented Northern Irishman estranged husband and his unwillingness to pay his fair share of the taxes. As Comrade Omar once told me, "You gotta get rid of this clown; if anyone should be mooching off of her, it oughtta be you!" Comrade Omar, of course, is an incurable romantic.

Anyway, I was bored earlier today, waiting for her in-between class phone calls and wandered through the Gay Gamers thread, which I haven't visited in a while. While there, found an interesting article with an interesting inset. Wondered how I'd do, so, lessee:

For men male humanoids who haven't a clue

Spoiler:

1) Check, although it was only this morning that she told me that you're supposed to take out the teabag prior to serving. Apparently, she's been swallowing a lot of bitter tear for love, but ironically, she hasn't once made me a cup of coffee. Also, instant coffee with almond milk and honey is terrible.

2) That's what I use Facebook for. I've also found that copying out Petrarchan sonnets with "Laura" crossed out and replaced with "Francesca" will work in a pinch. Other details sometimes have t be altered. For example, she's never worked as a shepherdess.

3) Being sartorially challenged myself, I need to work on this one. Although I often tell her how much I like seeing her in boots...and nothing else.

4) I tag along when she walks the dog. Nothing says romance like "Penny, do business!"

5) Hug, kiss, fondle, fornicate. Check.

6) She doesn't have a dishwasher. But I do at least 75% of the dishes.

7) I'm broke. Although we did go see Mockingjay together. It kinda blew.

8) We're both not terribly good cooks, but today I chopped the onions for the chicken tacos and the other day I had to visit three bodegas to find tomato paste. Why are there so many poorly stocked bodegas in Brooklyn?

9) Yeah, no. She's thirty-eight and was trapped in a sexless marriage for years. I can't even touch her shoulders without her wanting to do it.

10) Her car wash is on strike. Also, I'm terrified of driving in NYC.

11) She thinks manicures, spas, etc. are "bourgie."

12) Fifty times a day at least.

Gonna have to find another list.


Oxytocin Production Experiment #1: Roasted Brussel sprouts with grape and chicken sausages, Andrei Tarkovsky flicks and cunnilingus = success!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The way to a woman's heart is through her feet, specifically by applying gentle rhythmic pressure over their entirety.


On the 2006 SAT, a United States post-secondary education entrance exam, only 15 percent of the students wrote their essay answers in cursive.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
On the 2006 SAT, a United States post-secondary education entrance exam, only 15 percent of the students wrote their essay answers in cursive.

Oddly enough, my son's penmanship is better than mine & has been for several years.


Ms. Pleiades wrote:
The way to a woman's heart is through her feet, specifically by applying gentle rhythmic pressure over their entirety.

Yes. Quite so. I like high heels as well.


Sissyl wrote:
Ms. Pleiades wrote:
The way to a woman's heart is through her feet, specifically by applying gentle rhythmic pressure over their entirety.
Yes. Quite so. I like high heels as well.

Uncomfortable, can't run, and do long term damage to your feet.

Why? Just.. why? I have the feeling in 100 years they'll be seen the same way we do corsets.


I don't know, high heels seem to have a better historical track record than corsets thus far...


They are not worn for comfort, and it is absolutely possible to run in them. :-)


Not very well though. And what I meant by the track record is that from what I know, they are a far older invention than corsets and has survived till the modern days.


Except they were originally used by men. Probably to gain a few inches, of course.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Corsets do still exist today in a niche market popular in certain circles...

(But, man, I cannot wait until the day ties fade into obscurity...)


Corsets have gotten a serious revival these days. Since the early nineties or so.


Were corsets formerly worn by men as well?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

They were - certainly in the 18th and 19th centuries. If you had let yourself go a bit but still wanted to look soldierly and dashing on the ballroom floor, you could get a bit of artificial assistance that way. See here for a contemporary advert

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I could kind of stand one myself. :(

I'm mostly in good shape, but everything goes right to my midriff. And I'm very self-conscious about my body shape.

looks in mirror

sighs

:(


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is a pretty good feeling to wear one. Best part is that if you have back pains, they vanish.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I love corsets. And high heels. And women. Especially when they exist in some combination thereof.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I just love the look of corsets. Even if they're on a plump woman. I especially love the pink and black cloth-ribbed number my fiance has. Gives the look of a corset with a bit of that beautiful figure.... What can I say? I like a woman with meat on her bones.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I like guys in corsets. Specially latex ones....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tarinia Faynrik wrote:
I like guys in corsets. Specially latex ones....

Alright alright, I'll buy a new one... Might just have to wait a bit for me not to break this one too.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Fifty shades of mediocrity

Fave lines: "IF THE popularity of Fifty Shades reveals anything, it's the deep hunger for depictions--any depictions--of female sexual pleasure outside of the framework of porn aimed at straight men. Given the Motion Picture Association of America's puritanical standards on nudity and sex, and particularly on images of women enjoying sex, the film gets away with quite a lot. It's occasionally funny, and once or twice, it's even clever."


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Thank you, Comrade. That review manages something I thought might be impossible, pointing out both the positive & negative about the movie.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
Except they were originally used by men. Probably to gain a few inches, of course.

Like a lot of mens fashion they had a practical use in the military: they were for mounted (ie, rich) soldiers to help hold their feet in the stirrups.


Teacher gets tricked into showing ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ by her West Virginia high school students


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Don Juan de Doodlebug wrote:
Teacher gets tricked into showing ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ by her West Virginia high school students

Would have been scandalous...before phones that could fit in their pocket came with unlimited porn access.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

You mean my smartphone can show porn.....?

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

It sure can!

...

I'm told.

...

flees


1 person marked this as a favorite.

places safe, introductory porn on sissyls and kalindlaras smartphones


mind blown. dies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
You mean my smartphone can show porn.....?

Why would phone screen size be steadily growing for the last few years while in the past the cell phones were constantly shrinking if not for viewing porn?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Don Juan de Doodlebug wrote:
Teacher gets tricked into showing ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ by her West Virginia high school students
Would have been scandalous...before phones that could fit in their pocket came with unlimited porn access.

When I was waiting yesterday to register for dentist visit, a boy, maybe five years old was playing with plastic toy looking like an iphone. I wonder how long it will take him to switch to an actual smartphone...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Don Juan de Doodlebug wrote:
Teacher gets tricked into showing ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ by her West Virginia high school students
Would have been scandalous...before phones that could fit in their pocket came with unlimited porn access.
When I was waiting yesterday to register for dentist visit, a boy, maybe five years old was playing with plastic toy looking like an iphone. I wonder how long it will take him to switch to an actual smartphone...

My niece isn't quite 2 and she can hit the buttons to skype her sister.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
My niece isn't quite 2 and she can hit the buttons to skype her sister.

When my Eldest was the same age, he taught me several new tricks on my iPad that I hadn't figured out, yet. He was... already familiar with them. :I


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
My niece isn't quite 2 and she can hit the buttons to skype her sister.
When my Eldest was the same age, he taught me several new tricks on my iPad that I hadn't figured out, yet. He was... already familiar with them. :I

reminds me of the time I was able to program the vcr at 7 and my (great) uncle was utterly amazed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

:D


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
My niece isn't quite 2 and she can hit the buttons to skype her sister.
When my Eldest was the same age, he taught me several new tricks on my iPad that I hadn't figured out, yet. He was... already familiar with them. :I
reminds me of the time I was able to program the vcr at 7 and my (great) uncle was utterly amazed.

I remember being 5 and showing my dads friend how to tap a keg...

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
My niece isn't quite 2 and she can hit the buttons to skype her sister.
When my Eldest was the same age, he taught me several new tricks on my iPad that I hadn't figured out, yet. He was... already familiar with them. :I

Might of learned them in the First World. :3

351 to 393 of 393 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / 50 Shades of Prudishness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.