Melee caster


Advice


Hi, I'm wondering what suggestions people have about making a Melee 9th lvl arcance caster. So we have witch, wizard, arcanist, and sorcerer. Max 1 lvl dip in a full-bab class if needed for a prestige. But if you can do it solo-class even better.


I've been at a table with a guy who a playing a wizard that runs around in mock armor, slashing people with his sword and on occasion will take a break to cast a spell so it can certainly be done with a bit of thought.

Really, I think a better motivation for taking a dip with a build like this is for weapon proficiency unless you're playing a race that will give access to some nice arms or you're willing to get by on simple weapons.

Witch would probably be the hardest to pull off for a melee caster if only for the fact that witches don't have quite the same options for buffing their AC. Then again I'm currently playing a monk/witch. Insanely suboptimal but a fair bit of fun.

Sovereign Court

I have a half-orc scarred witch doctor who is a pretty solid natural attacker. Con as your casting stat makes you less MAD (just really need Con and Str)
Nails and prehensile hair plus orc trait for a bite attack gives 4 natural attacks. Or you can wield a falchion and have the bite and hair as secondary attacks.
Strength patron gives a lot of the nice cleric self-buffs. Divine favor, fate's favored, and arcane strike grant +2 to hit, +3 damage to each of your multiple attacks.


GralphidB wrote:

I have a half-orc scarred witch doctor who is a pretty solid natural attacker. Con as your casting stat makes you less MAD (just really need Con and Str)

Nails and prehensile hair plus orc trait for a bite attack gives 4 natural attacks. Or you can wield a falchion and have the bite and hair as secondary attacks.
Strength patron gives a lot of the nice cleric self-buffs. Divine favor, fate's favored, and arcane strike grant +2 to hit, +3 damage to each of your multiple attacks.

Just for reference, CON is your Hexing stat, but it isn't actually your casting stat. Extra spells, spell DC and anything else about the spell is still based on INT score.

That said, a Scarred Witch Doctor can dip Barbarian and not lose much if they focus on Hexes, which can be cast during Rage and benefit from CON increases.

To be sure, as long as they have the spells and the pre-buff time, full casters can certainly be effective in melee. It's not as optimal compared to ending battles with a single spell, but it is certainly still capable, even with a low STR score. In fact, the higher your spell level goes, the less you need your physical abilities.

Once you can cast 8th level spells you can basically increase your strength by +40.

Makes it really useful once you get wish...>.>


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Scryer Wizard 1/Full BAB 1/Eldritch Knight 10/Wizard +X works all right. Better if you could replace the later wizard levels with Hellknight Signifer of course.

Supernatural abilities aren't affected by ASF. So, you could do something with a witch who uses hexes and maybe a few stilled spells in combat, but saves most of her spells for use outside combat. A one level fighter dip to get proficiency in full plate + tower shield would be advised.

Inspired Blade Swashbuckler 1/Blade Adept Arcanist 6/Eldritch Knight 10/Arcanist +X should be fun. It reaches 9th level spells dead on 20th and the BAB suffers a bit in the mid-levels.

Eldritch Scrapper Sorcerer ... might be made to work. Take the Amateur Swashbuckler feat (Opportune Parry and Riposte) to give you a chance to survive long enough to cast spells. The Martyred bloodline arcana seems worthwhile. With both traits devoted to it quickened true strike is a 3rd level spell, which would help once the poor BAB starts hurting.


Kaouse wrote:
GralphidB wrote:

I have a half-orc scarred witch doctor who is a pretty solid natural attacker. Con as your casting stat makes you less MAD (just really need Con and Str)

Nails and prehensile hair plus orc trait for a bite attack gives 4 natural attacks. Or you can wield a falchion and have the bite and hair as secondary attacks.
Strength patron gives a lot of the nice cleric self-buffs. Divine favor, fate's favored, and arcane strike grant +2 to hit, +3 damage to each of your multiple attacks.
Just for reference, CON is your Hexing stat, but it isn't actually your casting stat. Extra spells, spell DC and anything else about the spell is still based on INT score.
Scarred Witch Doctor wrote:

Constitution Dependent

A scarred witch doctor uses Constitution instead of Intelligence when determining the highest level of spells she can cast, her spell save DCs, number of spells known at 1st level, and any effects of her hexes normally determined by her Intelligence.

Just saying.

Inspired Blade 1/Scryer Wizard 1/Eldritch Knight 10/Dragon Disciple 8 (qualify with a SLA or Preferred Spell). You only ever get 8th level spells though, which is kinda depressing. Disciple could be swapped with Hellknight Signifier though, if that's more your speed.


Kaouse wrote:


Just for reference, CON is your Hexing stat, but it isn't actually your casting stat. Extra spells, spell DC and anything else about the spell is still based on INT score.
Scarred witch doctor wrote:
A scarred witch doctor uses Constitution instead of Intelligence when determining the highest level of spells she can cast, her spell save DCs, number of spells known at 1st level, and any effects of her hexes normally determined by her Intelligence.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Melee caster All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.