A collection of 5E Resources


4th Edition

1 to 50 of 51 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

9 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd like to start a thread to present more 5e material, whether fan-made or official. If anyone has anything to contribute, please feel free to do so. Here is what I've gathered so far.

60 D&D fan made creations

60 more D&D fan made creations

The Exchange

D to the O to the T.
And Thanks Lorathorn...having a consolidated list of resources is really cool and make life easy. You rock!

Sovereign Court

I am at your service.

Now, please inform me of the significance of the dots. I've seen it used numerous times, and I am still unclear on it's meaning. Is it what some call a "+1" or a "bump"?


DOT means placing a dot next to the name of the thread title, making it easier to find a thread.

And dotting this as well.

Sovereign Court

I'll do my best to continue updating any other free resources. At some point I will also link the web enhancements so that we can just have them all in one place. Regrettably, my time has been spent on other projects, but I don't want to forget this, so bear with me.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lorathorn wrote:
I'll do my best to continue updating any other free resources. At some point I will also link the web enhancements so that we can just have them all in one place. Regrettably, my time has been spent on other projects, but I don't want to forget this, so bear with me.

Another 35 D&D 5E resources!

I figured I would lend a hand Lorathorn...


WotC just released the new Unearthed Arcana article for April, on how to modify classes and make your own. Haven't read it yet, but in it they have a spell-less ranger, and the favored soul already made up.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Subscribing to JBE's newsletter would not be a bad idea. Just throwing that out there.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm hoping that soon I can compile all of the relevant articles from the WotC site for easy reference. The site itself is not easily navigable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
Subscribing to JBE's newsletter would not be a bad idea. Just throwing that out there.

How could I pass up something that "wouldn't be a bad idea"? :)

The Exchange

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Lorathorn wrote:
I'm hoping that soon I can compile all of the relevant articles from the WotC site for easy reference. The site itself is not easily navigable.

I agree totally. Their site's layout is difficult to navigate and is confusing. I also find their messageboards to be the same. I wish they could work some of the confusing elements out and make their site work better.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
Subscribing to JBE's newsletter would not be a bad idea. Just throwing that out there.

I subscribed nominating 5th edition interest only a while back (maybe a month?) but havent yet received anything. Is that just due to the license situation still being unresolved and you've had nothing to announce? Or have I possibly screwed something up?

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Steve Geddes wrote:
I subscribed nominating 5th edition interest only a while back (maybe a month?) but havent yet received anything. Is that just due to the license situation still being unresolved and you've had nothing to announce? Or have I possibly screwed something up?

My last (and first) 5e newsletter was, about, a little over a month ago. Right now there is not enough going on for a regular newsletter, but I'll be sending out another one soon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Fake Healer wrote:
Lorathorn wrote:
I'm hoping that soon I can compile all of the relevant articles from the WotC site for easy reference. The site itself is not easily navigable.

I agree totally. Their site's layout is difficult to navigate and is confusing. I also find their messageboards to be the same. I wish they could work some of the confusing elements out and make their site work better.

It used to not be that way. Their site and forums used to be good. Then something happened, and it turned to poo.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:
I subscribed nominating 5th edition interest only a while back (maybe a month?) but havent yet received anything. Is that just due to the license situation still being unresolved and you've had nothing to announce? Or have I possibly screwed something up?
My last (and first) 5e newsletter was, about, a little over a month ago. Right now there is not enough going on for a regular newsletter, but I'll be sending out another one soon.

Cheers. Fingers crossed they sort out the licensing situation soon. >(

Given the "principal publisher" is adopting such a glacial release schedule, 5E has the potential to really bolster a quality 3PP's bottom line, I think.


I just want the conversion guides. Then I won't care about any future release. I have 40 years worth of material (including things I made for 3rd and Pathfinder myself) despite only being 33 and starting in the late 90s. So, once I can ever get a conversion guide of the previous editions to 5th edition, WotC's glacial release schedule won't matter.

But since that is 4+ months away (really, only a single guy can approve these things, and he's on jury duty?), their glacial release schedule annoys me to no end. And as I mentioned in another thread, I see people tossing around "5th edition is soooo easy to convert previous material to!", I just don't see it. I find Pathfinder easier to convert to, where 5th edition I am too afraid of making something too strong despite looking at it and it looks fine. So I need me some conversion guides.


Steve Geddes wrote:


Given the "principal publisher" is adopting such a glacial release schedule, 5E has the potential to really bolster a quality 3PP's bottom line, I think.

Unless some OGL is released by WotC, 3PP will hesitate to make material. A C&D letter is not something anyone wants.

I wonder how harder it is to make compatible material without the an OGL?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

That's what I was referring to, although I don't think there's any need for a new OGL - there are several books in the works "for 5E" being released under the OGL already.

As I understand it, what's missing is a separate license to minimise compliance risk in relation to the "mustn't indicate compatibility with a trademark..." clause.

Sovereign Court

Well, it does make me wonder what parameters there are for companies that are releasing 5th edition compatible products. Many seem to simply do that by skirting around mentioning copyrighted names and such, which seems sneaky in an amusing sort of way.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Lorathorn wrote:
Well, it does make me wonder what parameters there are for companies that are releasing 5th edition compatible products. Many seem to simply do that by skirting around mentioning copyrighted names and such, which seems sneaky in an amusing sort of way.

There's alot that can be done without any license. (Note: IANAL. Do NOT take this as legal advice. At all. Consult a lawyer or you are dumb.)

First off, you cannot copyright a system. The game, at its core, is d20 roll + modifiers, compare to predetermined number to determine success or failure. No one can stop you from using that in much the same way that no one can stop you from describing how to add 2+2. However, you can be sued by the presentation of that information. That is plagiarism. So if you take the core concept of everything and reword it, you are good.

Next, you can't copyright the names of monsters that are from folklore and real world animals. So if you have an adventure where you fight lions and banshees, you're good. If you fight beholders, you have a problem.

While you can't claim compatibility, you can say that it can be used with something. Nothing wrong with that. Just like there is nothing wrong with baking recipe saying to use a blender, or a hot pocket says to use a microwave over a certain wattage.

There are a number of other things that a publisher can do that are perfectly legal, but they all similar to those above.


Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
Lorathorn wrote:
Well, it does make me wonder what parameters there are for companies that are releasing 5th edition compatible products. Many seem to simply do that by skirting around mentioning copyrighted names and such, which seems sneaky in an amusing sort of way.

There's alot that can be done without any license. (Note: IANAL. Do NOT take this as legal advice. At all. Consult a lawyer or you are dumb.)

First off, you cannot copyright a system. The game, at its core, is d20 roll + modifiers, compare to predetermined number to determine success or failure. No one can stop you from using that in much the same way that no one can stop you from describing how to add 2+2. However, you can be sued by the presentation of that information. That is plagiarism. So if you take the core concept of everything and reword it, you are good.

Next, you can't copyright the names of monsters that are from folklore and real world animals. So if you have an adventure where you fight lions and banshees, you're good. If you fight beholders, you have a problem.

Even more than that: Anything released in the OGL during 3.x is also fair game. So you can use 3.x monsters from the OGL, with the uncopyrightable stat mechanics from 5E. Same with spells and other things.

That's how most of the OSR stuff got released. Reworkings of AD&D and BECMI.

Liberty's Edge

I've been doing some 5e content for a while over on my blog/webcomic:
http://www.5mwd.com/gaming-blog/5e-content

Always happy for more feedback!

Sovereign Court

Jester David wrote:

I've been doing some 5e content for a while over on my blog/webcomic:

http://www.5mwd.com/gaming-blog/5e-content

Always happy for more feedback!

Sorry for waiting so long to reply to this, but I can't check that link where I usually do most of my computer activity.

I did recently look at your content, and it is great! I'd love to give you a shout out on my blog if that is agreeable.

Liberty's Edge

I did a Ravenloft creature on my blog.

Mike

Sovereign Court

Where may I find this blog? I'd love to see your creation.

Liberty's Edge

Lorathorn wrote:
I did recently look at your content, and it is great! I'd love to give you a shout out on my blog if that is agreeable.

I'm always happy to be shouted out at.

Sovereign Court

Next blog post, I will make sure to mention you, among other shout outs.

Also, as an update, I have amended the first post with further resources. I am still hoping to aggregate relevant D&D articles.

Edit: Darn, I thought I could edit older posts, but here we go. I may soon post all the links in one go.

Another 36 Resources for D&D


Don't forget that WotC have published their fourth or fifth free Unearthed Arcana PDF, with the latest issue about Krynn Minotaurs and the Swashbuckler (Rogue) archetype.

Sovereign Court

Indeed. I will eventually add that to the list, but it has its own thread, so I figured that interested parties had seen it there. I am pretty impressed with it, though. Minotaurs are amongst my favorite!

Publisher, EN Publishing

Lorathorn, if you're linking to my 5E fan resources compilations, it may be easier to just link to the overall page. You've missed out two-thirds of them!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/list.php?category/22-5E-Fan-Creations

That currently includes all 14 of my fan creation compilations. I do them roughly once a month.

Sovereign Court

Oh my. Well yes, that helps tremendously. I appreciate the assist.

Sovereign Court

Jester David wrote:
Lorathorn wrote:
I did recently look at your content, and it is great! I'd love to give you a shout out on my blog if that is agreeable.
I'm always happy to be shouted out at.

I nearly forgot, but I wanted to let you know that I did give you a shout out. I'm pretty happy with the content of your site!

Blog post shout out is here!

Sovereign Court

Ok, here are some of the more important WotC resources, collected.

All Sage Advice Articles
All Unearthed Arcana Articles

For some strange reason, the Sage Advice link does not bring up the more recent article on feats.

I hope that you find this helpful, at any rate.


Both of those link to the same page, that lists every article on the site, not seperated into the different categories.

Sovereign Court

oh crumb. Maybe that way wont suffice. Ill link the individual articles instead.

Sovereign Court

Aha!

Unearthed Arcana Index

Now just to collect the Sage Advice articles...

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Here you go! Sage advice compiled into one nice neat PDF!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Link to Sage Advice Rules Roundup with the following PDFs

- Sage Advice Compendium (version 1.0)

- D&D Spell Lists (version 1.0)

- Player’s Handbook Errata (version 1.1)

The spell list is very neat :)

Sovereign Court

Excellent!


Sage Advice Rules Roundup has been updated with Sage Advice Compendium (version 1.1)

Also check out The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that will be released this Fall

wizards wrote:


Here are just a few of the features you’ll find in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide:
•Immersive Adventuring: This campaign sourcebook provides players and Dungeon Masters material for creating vibrant fantasy stories along the Sword Coast.
•New Character Options: The book offers new subclass options, such as the Purple Dragon Knight and the Swashbuckler, for many of the classes presented in the Player’s Handbook, as well as new subraces and backgrounds specific to the Forgotten Realms.
•Adventure in the Forgotten Realms: Discover the current state of the Forgotten Realms and its deities after the Spellplague and the second Sundering. You’ll also get updated maps of this area of the Realms.
•Compatible with Rage of Demons storyline: Make characters for use with the Out of the Abyss adventure and fight back the influence of the demon lords in the Underdark below the Sword Coast.
•Insider Information: Learn the background behind locations, such as Luskan and Gracklstugh, featured in the upcoming digital RPG, Sword Coast Legends, from n-Space.

With new character backgrounds and class options, players will love the storytelling possibilities of playing a noble of Waterdeep, an elf bladesinger, or one of the other new options, while Dungeon Masters will relish a book full of mysterious locations and story hooks to keep players adventuring on the Sword Coast for years to come.

Look for the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide to be available on November 3.

Cool stuff


Both your links point to the same place, Zark.


Arakhor wrote:
Both your links point to the same place, Zark.

Sorry.

Even if the Sage Advice Rules Roundup has a spoiler and a link to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, your catch still a good since the content on the Sage Advice Rules Roundup change over time.

Now with the correct link :D
check out The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that will be released this Fall!

Sovereign Court

So, here is a blog where someone is actively running Iron Gods in 5th edition. It looks like he is doing an amazing job at running it, and converting a metric ton of monsters and items. The shame so far is that it isn't compiled, but there is a lot to draw from if you need something new for your table.

Magic Items

Menace Manual (Monsters)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*coughputtingthisbackuphereforfolkscough*


What a bad cough you have there. :)


Must be the sudden shift in the Earth's axis...

Freaking autumn >.<


Equinoctial coughing, clearly. Comes on suddenly at the start of spring and autumn. :p

Sovereign Court

http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/

This is an excellent place to go.

Linkified for your convenience.


Dot

Sovereign Court

Also, this. A summary of rules variants in the Dungeon Master Guide

1 to 50 of 51 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Gaming / D&D / 4th Edition / A collection of 5E Resources All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.