Free Highlanders respond to our chaotic neighbors.


Pathfinder Online

Goblin Squad Member

4 people marked this as a favorite.

On Monday, Jan 26th, companies belonging to Freevale and Aragon attempted to take core towers belonging to Ozem's Vigil.

On Tuesday, Jan 27th, the Free Highlanders responded by launching an attack on the towers belonging to Freevale and Aragon, including their core towers.

Over 20 players from at least four settlements participated in this action, perhaps the largest coordinated PVP action in PFO to date.

No one from Freevale or Aragon showed up to defend their holdings, and the result was at least 5 towers taken from Freevale, and at least 4 towers taken from Aragon.

The Free Highlanders would prefer to return to good-natured squabbling over outlying towers, however, we do attach special significance to core six towers, and we will respond in force if any of our core six hexes are attacked.

link to image showing one of our mustering points one hex south of Aragon:
http://imgur.com/yYXLlAW

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

1st Comment.

"was wondering if you needed any grenades??"

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Thoughts on the event:

We really wanted to get in some fights, and were disappointed at the lack of resistance.

I miscalculated one tower attack, and missed capturing it by 50 points.

Out of 6 Forgeholmers that actively participated, we lost one to the blue screen character lockout bug, and one had persistent disconnection problems.

Other than that, there was little lag or other server problems, even when we had 20+ people in the same area.

The length of the PVP window felt right.. it was an hour for Freevale and 4 hours for Aragon, based on their tower holdings. The lower window for Freevale gave them some protection, it felt like a race to get the towers capped, and even slight resistance could have thrown off our timetable.

Same with the length of tower capture. With 5-6 people at each tower, it felt like the defenders had a chance to respond, without being too tedious for the attackers.

Enjoyed coordinating with everyone, including our southern neighbors, thanks for the show of support!

I know you've heard this before, but top of our wish list for implementation: Company tags, or some way to identify strange characters. Improved company or settlement chat options. Targeting fixes.

The night was fun, and a glimpse of the good things PFO can provide. Lots of dreaming about PoIs and Siege engines once they are implemented.


Purty please, can you be more specific which settlements participated?

I'm not up to speed on which settlements in the north have people playing and which don't.

Sincerely sorry no one showed up to provide some content for you, we don't really have control of the settlement tower stuff. I know capping undefended towers afk is boring. :(

Goblin Squad Member

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Forgeholm and the Everbloom Alliance have my sword any time they need when I'm online.

Long Live Ozem's Vigil!
Long Live Forgeholm!
Long Live the Everbloom Alliance!

Goblin Squad Member

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Doc || Allegiant Gemstone Co. wrote:

Purty please, can you be more specific which settlements participated?

You'll have plenty of time to see when you're recapturing your towers.

Goblin Squad Member

I won't speak for Aragon and Freevale leadership, but as leader of Allegiant Gemstone Company I will flatly say, without reservation or agenda, that I love this reaction.

This was the sort of reaction I was anticipating to see in response to a certain groups desire to hit Ozem's towers. And speaks volumes to the entanglements, be it negative or positive, where the actions of a few can potentially impact the many.

From AGC perspective, we have very little interests in towers, be it attacking or defending them. Sure, we'll participate in pvp fights that may include actions in and around towers from time to time, but it will be a rarity to see it.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Goblin Squad Member

Atheory wrote:
...we have very little interests in towers, be it attacking or defending them. Sure, we'll participate in pvp fights that may include actions in and around towers from time to time...

Freevale has grown to share the same sentiments. The response and activity is something that should be a part of the game. Holding any of our towers is far less interesting than this.

Goblin Squad Member

Atheory wrote:

I won't speak for Aragon and Freevale leadership, but as leader of Allegiant Gemstone Company I will flatly say, without reservation or agenda, that I love this reaction.

This was the sort of reaction I was anticipating to see in response to a certain groups desire to hit Ozem's towers. And speaks volumes to the entanglements, be it negative or positive, where the actions of a few can potentially impact the many.

From AGC perspective, we have very little interests in towers, be it attacking or defending them. Sure, we'll participate in pvp fights that may include actions in and around towers from time to time, but it will be a rarity to see it.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

See this I'm not understanding, so maybe you can explain this to me. I keep reading that you guys attacked our core 6 to generate more PVP. What's odd about that is plenty of PVP was heating up already. We've been fighting with you guys and GPunk almost every night over the border towers to the east. What did the core 6 attack do other than give the same result?

side note- a random company took the border towers last night while we were away. So there's that mystery to solve I guess.

Goblin Squad Member

Towers are about worthless to really defend at the moment. Taking them is really in gesture.

We need something that isn't going to generate PvP, but the right kinds of PvP. The latter is what we don't have, because these free for all hexes aren't really doing their job on the grand scale of things. Furthermore, reputation is so highly regenerating that the war of towers hexes, they just don't really matter.

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.
TEO Cheatle wrote:
We need something that isn't going to generate PvP, but the right kinds of PvP. The latter is what we don't have, because these free for all hexes aren't really doing their job on the grand scale of things.

I think the WoT is doing okay for a stopgap measure.

The type of PVP I don't want to participate is killing of gatherers in random hexes at random times.

WoT gives us some places and times to say: "at this time, in this hex, both sides will be ready and prepared to fight," with enough uncertainty that it doesn't become a pre-arranged duel.

Honestly, what would fix the WoT for me, is to reduce the number of towers to 50 or so.
Either remove the others, or cover them with a server-wide NAP. If the 16 active settlements were fighting over only 50 towers instead of 300, you'd see a lot more engaging fights and a lot less afk capping.

Even if the towers gave no training or settlement advantages, the people that wanted to PVP would do it just for the bragging rights and the practice.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In my (likely unpopular) opinion, a settlement with 0 towers should be less functional than a starter settlement. The War of Towers began, what, two weeks ago? We're only now reaching the point that people need better training to advance, and most of that advancement is only symbolic for yet *another* week while we wait for crafters to reach proper Tier 2 equipment.

In short, the towers have been active, but they have yet to mean anything. It's my hope that having a few towers becomes (more or less) essential soon.

Goblin Squad Member

11 people marked this as a favorite.
TEO Cheatle wrote:
Taking them is really in gesture.

Do you cap that tower at us, sir?

I do cap that tower, sir.
Do you cap that tower at us, sir?
(Is the NAP of our side, if I say ay?)
(No.)
No, sir, I do not cap that tower at you, sir, but I cap that tower, sir.
Do you quarrel, sir?
Quarrel sir! no, sir.

Goblin Squad Member

@Guurzak,

LMAO


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We should simply pick a tower and do KING OF THE HILL.

If we simply declare it to be the most important thing in the game, it will be.

Now comes the intrigue when people propose their neighbor's tower as the one we'll all fight over. ;-)

Goblin Squad Member

Gaskon wrote:
TEO Cheatle wrote:
We need something that isn't going to generate PvP, but the right kinds of PvP. The latter is what we don't have, because these free for all hexes aren't really doing their job on the grand scale of things.

I think the WoT is doing okay for a stopgap measure.

The type of PVP I don't want to participate is killing of gatherers in random hexes at random times.

WoT gives us some places and times to say: "at this time, in this hex, both sides will be ready and prepared to fight," with enough uncertainty that it doesn't become a pre-arranged duel.

Honestly, what would fix the WoT for me, is to reduce the number of towers to 50 or so.
Either remove the others, or cover them with a server-wide NAP. If the 16 active settlements were fighting over only 50 towers instead of 300, you'd see a lot more engaging fights and a lot less afk capping.

Even if the towers gave no training or settlement advantages, the people that wanted to PVP would do it just for the bragging rights and the practice.

Nice suggestion. I like the WoT in theory. We just don't have the population to play it correctly with that many towers and windows open every day. With half the towers and windows open 2-3 times a week, this would be a blast.

Goblin Squad Member

My proposition:

Every Friday GW announces: "The Towers in hexes x1,y1; x2,y2; and x3,y3 will drop a Tier 3 recipe to the companies that hold them at the end of the PvP window at xx:xx GMT on Saturday dd/mm."

Hmmmmm....then those towers would have meaning, the "winners" would have a challenge, and the bandits have something to try to loot.

But the Tower capture mechanics need to be fixed first.

Goblin Squad Member

Gaskon wrote:
Over 20 players from at least four settlements participated in this action, perhaps the largest coordinated PVP action in PFO to date.

A small thing to ping on I know, but was this 20 people total or 20 people from EACH settlement? Before WoT Golgotha sent about 16-18 people down and we hit Hammerfall. The EBA responded with about as many people then countered with even more. so a ruff estimate of 40-50 people participated in the battle.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Tough to tell how many defenders there were since they were hiding in Marchmont.

Goblin Squad Member

Seems like a zero then.

Goblin Squad Member

Gol Tigari wrote:

A small thing to ping on I know, but was this 20 people total or 20 people from EACH settlement? Before WoT Golgotha sent about 16-18 people down and we hit Hammerfall. The EBA responded with about as many people then countered with even more. so a ruff estimate of 40-50 people participated in the battle.

20 total. That's a low estimate, because I know people participated that I didn't have a direct count on.

I didn't realize how many people were in the Hammerfall dust-up. Your southern conflicts are a lot bigger than ours in the north. :)

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hiding? excuse me, I was AFK watching the movie "Fury" on demand. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Atheory wrote:
Hiding? excuse me, I was AFK watching the movie "Fury" on demand. :)

LOL! Was it any good?

Goblin Squad Member

For a war movie, it was solid, a few things/goofs to nit-pick at, but the war scenes/effects were well done. The characters/acting I felt was pretty solid. I was somewhat disappointed with the predictable ending. And that's all I'm gonna say.

Goblin Squad Member

Fury:
Everybody dies...except the one a#@%&!@ you wanted to die.

Goblin Squad Member

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Really, Kathalphas?

Nothing? You didn't even bother to scout our towers to see which ones we were defending?

Did you at least take Aragon's core tower back? We weren't watching that one at all.

If you don't care about the War of Towers, how about this:

The carebear mobile resource nodes of Forgeholm will be in your hex, taking your resources. Come get us.

The hex north of Freevale. 9pm to 11:30pm eastern US time.

I guarantee we walk out of there at the end of the evening with more tansy leaves than you do.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gaskon wrote:
more tansy leaves

Oh no you di'int.

Goblin Squad Member

Gaskon,why you still on this man? This was so like yesterday or something.

We're talking about the movie Fury now. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Jakaal wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Shia Labeouf:
Except his death I hate that guy. ...even though he didn't suck balls THIS time.
Goblin Squad Member

oh and I'll totally be after your yew and maple...

Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Digital Games / Pathfinder Online / Free Highlanders respond to our chaotic neighbors. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Online