Charging Magus question


Advice and Rules Questions


I know that, under normal circumstances, a character must make a melee attack at the end of a charge, and cannot do other actions such as cast a spell. The Magus, via spell strike, substitutes the free touch attack granted by casting the spell for a swing with its melee weapon. I'm aware that this, by normal rules, still does not allow the Magus to cast at the end of the charge. However, there is a feat (name escapes me at the moment, and I'm at work so I cannot check) from the Might of the Magus pdf (a pdf with 30 feats for use with the Magus, some accessible to other classes) that allows a Magus to cast a spell at the end of a charge.

Now, assuming this feat was taken, the Magus could charge at an enemy and cast Shocking Grasp. Because of the way Spell Strike works, I could substitute the free touch attack for a melee swing. Meaning, with that feat, I could actually Spell Strike at the end of a charge. Am I missing something? Yes, I'm aware it's a 3rd party feat, so not every DM would allow it. But assuming its allowed, that's how it would work, correct? I only ask because I have a mounted Magus concept I'd like to make, using an archetype from the Into the Breach series to get an animal companion to ride, and I like the idea of charging at an enemy with an electrified sword.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Without the text of the feat in question, I wouldn't have the faintest idea. By the standard rules, (which means this should be in the 3rd Party/Homebrew forum, the answer is you can't do it.


It is a 3pp feat so the forum May be wrong. But i Think your Reading of the feat is ok.

Dark Archive

Without being able to see the feat we cannot give you an accurate answer, but since that feat, as you describe, was designed for Maguses I would have a hard time believing it wouldn't work exactly like that.

If you ever get a chance to post the feat so we can look at it we can give you a more definitive answer.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

No comment on the feat.

However, anytime you catch a touch spell you get a free touch attack. A Magus can make it a melee attack instead of a touch attack with spell strike.

So assuming your feat works, yes a Magus could charge, cast his spell, and deliver it with his melee attack.

Of course, anyone without any feats can cast a spell, move, and then deliver their free touch attack, meaning you probably really don't need to bother with charging.


Ahh, apologies if this is the wrong forum. I figured as a feat/rules interaction, this would be the place to post it. If need be, I'll ask there. But thank you all for the answers. When I get home, I'll add the full text of the feat as well.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Dave Justus wrote:

No comment on the feat.

However, anytime you catch a touch spell you get a free touch attack. A Magus can make it a melee attack instead of a touch attack with spell strike.

So assuming your feat works, yes a Magus could charge, cast his spell, and deliver it with his melee attack.

Of course, anyone without any feats can cast a spell, move, and then deliver their free touch attack, meaning you probably really don't need to bother with charging.

...... Da heck?

So I can cast Shocking Grasp, move up to 30 ft, and just grab a guy for free? I've been misreading something. Is this a FAQ response or right out of the book?

Dark Archive

It's an FAQ. It's always been that way but they clarified it in this FAQ.


Shane LeRose wrote:
Dave Justus wrote:

No comment on the feat.

However, anytime you catch a touch spell you get a free touch attack. A Magus can make it a melee attack instead of a touch attack with spell strike.

So assuming your feat works, yes a Magus could charge, cast his spell, and deliver it with his melee attack.

Of course, anyone without any feats can cast a spell, move, and then deliver their free touch attack, meaning you probably really don't need to bother with charging.

...... Da heck?

So I can cast Shocking Grasp, move up to 30 ft, and just grab a guy for free? I've been misreading something. Is this a FAQ response or right out of the book?

it is in the book. Under touch spells i belive.

Liberty's Edge

What Dave Justus is talking about is the fact that once you cast a touch spell you get a "charge" that you hold. During the same round that you cast a touch spell you are granted a free action to deliver said charge as a touch attack.

The Magus improves upon this by then being able to deliver that touch attack with spellstrike.

Ergo
Standard Action: Cast Shocking Grasp
Move Action: Move to the Fool
Free Action: Deliver Touch Attack (w/ or w/out spellstrike)

Edit: What they said above me ^
I forgot to refresh my page when I responded.


For those that wanted the full text.

Prerequisite: Combat Casting

When performing a charge you may cast a touch spell instead of making a melee attack. You may cast the spell before or after moving and the touch attack is made at the end of the charge.

This is one of the feats that the creator commentary even says "This is inspired by the magus, but not limited to only that class. A wizard probably wont want it, but no reason to exclude them." It also makes no mention of the interaction with Spell Strike. So I would imagine that it would allow you to Spell Strike at the end of a charge.

Dark Archive

Yep, this definitely does what you think then. Have at it!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
DHAnubis wrote:

For those that wanted the full text.

Prerequisite: Combat Casting

When performing a charge you may cast a touch spell instead of making a melee attack. You may cast the spell before or after moving and the touch attack is made at the end of the charge.

This is one of the feats that the creator commentary even says "This is inspired by the magus, but not limited to only that class. A wizard probably wont want it, but no reason to exclude them." It also makes no mention of the interaction with Spell Strike. So I would imagine that it would allow you to Spell Strike at the end of a charge.

Since the feat states "instead of making a melee attack", it would seem to rule out using spell strike for this maneuver.


LazarX wrote:
DHAnubis wrote:

For those that wanted the full text.

Prerequisite: Combat Casting

When performing a charge you may cast a touch spell instead of making a melee attack. You may cast the spell before or after moving and the touch attack is made at the end of the charge.

This is one of the feats that the creator commentary even says "This is inspired by the magus, but not limited to only that class. A wizard probably wont want it, but no reason to exclude them." It also makes no mention of the interaction with Spell Strike. So I would imagine that it would allow you to Spell Strike at the end of a charge.

Since the feat states "instead of making a melee attack", it would seem to rule out using spell strike for this maneuver.

Except, spellstrike and the FAQ specifically lets you replace your touch attack with a melee attack... so it depends which ability you parse first. In which case, you should probably parse it the obviously RAI way.


You don't get the standard melee attack at the end of the charge. Instead you get to cast a touch spell. All touch spells include delivery of said spell with a touch attack. For a Magus this is via Spellstrike. The RAW seems rather straightforward here honestly.

Realistically, it doubles your 'threat' range from 30' to 60' with touch spells, but that's about it. Especially with that pre-req I wouldn't call it worthwhile and you should find a way to pick up Mounted Skirmisher early instead, but you're using it right there.


I had forgotten that Combat Casting was the prereq, and I had thought about ways to get Mounted Skirmisher early, though now I wonder. Would Mounted Skirmisher actually allow the mount to move and me to still use Spell Combat? I know it allows full attacks, and Spell Combat is considered a full attack for things like Haste... hmm.. That may be a better idea.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Advice and Rules Questions / Charging Magus question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Advice and Rules Questions