80s & 90s Tech, games & other stuff you loved back then.


Technology

101 to 123 of 123 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

I've been working my way through Quantum Leap lately.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wow. Only the stuff from the 80s and 90s eh... lets see...

1980: Crazy Climber, Pac Man

1981: Intellivision's Astrosmash, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Snafu

1982: Bump N Jump, Burgertime, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong Jr, Moon Patrol, Ms Pac Man, Paratrooper, Pitfall, Pole Position, Qbert, Robotron 2084, Tron

1983: Buzz Bombers, Crystal Castles, Dragon's Lair, Spy Hunter, Star Wars Arcade, Tapper

1984: 1942, duck hunt, excitebike, karateka, montezuma's revenge, space ace, star rider, tetris

1985: Gauntlet, Carmen sandiego

1986: Defender of the crown, Gauntlet II, Ikari Warriors

1987: Double Dragon, Ninja warriors, Shinobi, Street fighter, Test drive, Time soldiers

1988: Battle Chess, Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl

1989: Budokan, Final fight, Golden axe, Super Offroad, Shadow Dancer, Sim City, UN Squadron, Test drive 2 The Duel., Curse of the Azure Bonds

1990: Centurion Defender of Rome, Super Mario World, Test drive 3, Wizardry vi: Bane of the cosmic forge,

1991: Arcus Odyssey, Scorched earth, Street fighter 2, Streets of Rage

1992: Fatal Fury 2, Jill of the Jungle, Mortal Kombat, Street fighter II hyper fighting, Streets of Rage 2

1993: Eternal champions, Final fight 2, Metal and Lace, Ogre Battle, Samurai Showdown, Street Fighter 2 turbo hyperfighting, Super street fighter 2, virtua fighter, World heroes 2, national lampoon's chess maniac 5 billion and 1

1994: Darkstalkers Night warriors, Ninja Warriors again!, Samurai showdown 2, Streets of Rage 3, Super Street fighter 2 turbo, Tekken, Virtua fighter 2, xmen COTA, xmen mutant apocalypse.

1995: Battle arena toshinden, Battle arena toshinden 2, Fighting vipers, Final fight 3, Marvel super heroes, nightwarriors: darkstalkers revenge, soul edge, street fighter alpha, tekken 2, twisted metal, world heroes perfect, xmen 2: clone wars,

1996: Battle arena toshinden 3, dead or alive, fighter's megamix, samurai showdown 4, star gladiator, street fighter alpha 2, street fighter ex, tomb raider, twisted metal 2,
virtua fighter 3, xmen vs streetfighter

1997: Darkstalkers 3, final fantasy 7, gran turismo, marvel super heroes v street fighter, street fighter 3 and 2nd impact, tekken 3, tomb raider 2

1998: Fighting vipers 2, gauntlet legends, Ridge Racer 4, Soulcalibur, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter EX2, Tomb Raider 3, Twisted Metal 3

1999: Airforce Delta, Dead or alive 2, Final fantasy 8, Gran turismo 2, Hydro thunder, Silent scope, Space channel 5, Street fighter 3 3rd strike, Tokyo xtreme racer, Tomb raider the last revelation


Vincent Takeda wrote:
1981: Intellivision's Astrosmash

THIS! A thousand times this! Oh, lordy, I miss Intellivision! Those whippersnappers think they spend a lot of time on their WiiBoxes and X-Stations. I spent more hours playing on the Intellivision than I had any right to.

By the way, does anyone else remember the D&D game for Intellivision? If I remember right, there were two, but the first was officially licensed.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Readerbreeder wrote:


By the way, does anyone else remember the D&D game for Intellivision? If I remember right, there were two, but the first was officially licensed.

Oh sure! Who could forget it? Looking for both pieces of the crown... :-)


Readerbreeder wrote:
Vincent Takeda wrote:
1981: Intellivision's Astrosmash

THIS! A thousand times this! Oh, lordy, I miss Intellivision! Those whippersnappers think they spend a lot of time on their WiiBoxes and X-Stations. I spent more hours playing on the Intellivision than I had any right to.

By the way, does anyone else remember the D&D game for Intellivision? If I remember right, there were two, but the first was officially licensed.

I don't, But this might help.


Yeah. I still have my intellivision (black and gold), my intellivision 2, about 60 cartridges, and it all still works. Still have all the game boxes, and all the controller inserts....

Course I was at sams club the other day and they had a retroclone intellivision selling for 20 bucks with 60 games programmed into it, so there wouldnt be much need for me to crack this thing open and hook it up anymore, but those were good times.


Vincent Takeda wrote:
Yeah. I still have my intellivision (black and gold), my intellivision 2, about 60 cartridges, and it all still works.

You, sir, are one lucky man. Play some Space Spartans this weekend for me, OK?

Hello, commander. Computer reporting...


I remember saving up and buying a GameBoy with Tetris back in the day.. still have it, still works - I fire it up now and again to check :).

Also - turn based / play-by-email games.. played a lot of 'Stars!' back in the 90s. But alas, what with all those MMOs out there, turn-based multi-player games seem to have mostly gone the way of the dodo..


Scythia wrote:
stuff... Parents being willing to let kids play outside, out of sight & unsupervised, as long as they were back by dinner. Those were the little adventures that inspired me to think about big adventures.

So this is where I adamantly deny that my, apparently more recent, childhood was just like that to insure that my parents don't get arrested for neglect.

;)


Creating this list inspired me to do similar lists for tabletop rpgs and even one for cars... So now i've got a written list of every tabletop game, videogame or car that I like ever made... Its kinda neat now knowing that after 155 years, I only actually love about 120 models of car. Surprisingly short list in retrospect. In a wierd way it feels kinda nice to have sorted that out on paper... Frankly kind of surprised that my game list is bigger than my car list. 205 games on the list in only 35 years...

If my dvd collection is any indication making a list of all the movies I like could number well over 600... Not sure I'm ready to tackle that kinda list yet. Took me like 3 days to get through the cars list... If I tried this with movies and tv shows i'd probably start from 2015 and work my way back year by year, and could probably only get through one year per day... That kinda project could take 2 months or more... Still. Even if I've seen a movie a week and thought every single one of those movies were great... which clearly isnt true... That list would still be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 titles... It could be done...

Maybe one of these days...

Even cracked open my intellivision box to see if there were any great games i'd forgotten, so added 2 to my list... Space armada and Tron deadly disks. Played the first until we looped the colors of the borders so the entire field... *every enemy ship* was invisible the entire time... while throwing ship seeking krull stars and the ufo would come down and eat your shields... Space invaders taken to a truly rediculous level... And it wasnt a good game of tron unless you hit 1 million points and got the orange guys with the white light sabers... Man, that game required skill, strategy, and dedication. Tron was tough, but space armada was obscene. Hillariously ludicrous.


Scythia wrote:
Talisman, the hours long RPG board game (did anybody play without houseruled leveling?)

There were house rules for leveling?

Actually I am addicted to Talisman now. Can't get enough of that computer game... learning all the ways to level and what items are best.


anyone ever play a game for the snes called "the secret of mana"? Great game back in the day. And as for the 80's it was all about the cartoons. Akira and Vampire Hunter D were some old faves I seen by accident on one of the movie channels I think when we first got cable and spent years looking for em. Living in the country there wasn't a mall or video store locally where I could get stuff.
Then there was always having to order books/modules from the Mail Order Hobby Shop. Always a good experience there.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There isn't any past tech that comes close up to the sentimental meter as those portable radios that used 9 volt batteries. The most important thing about that radio and the earphone plugged into it, was how it liberated me from the music choices of my parents.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@ OldSkul
I had that movie on videotape. Probably one of the first movies i watched that weren't on PC.


I got Talisman back in the mid 80's when I was in college (after 1985) I got the City, Timewarp and Dungeon. I got many of the lead figurines (not plastic back then). I had a room mate paint them. I still have the set. Talisman was played like once a year because it took so long. When we had nothing else to do, I would always say, "soooo, do you want to play Talisman?" Back then everyone wanted to. These days, everyone just wants to play Arkham Horror. We never had a leveling rule. I do know that there were like three different versions of the game, so that might have to do with it.

Video games: Had a friend in college who played Galaga (sp) A LOT! I don't know where he got all the quarters. But he filled up the machine with his name and one night we found him there playing the game and again the next morning. We assumed that he had played the game all night!


Aranna wrote:
Scythia wrote:
Talisman, the hours long RPG board game (did anybody play without houseruled leveling?)

There were house rules for leveling?

Actually I am addicted to Talisman now. Can't get enough of that computer game... learning all the ways to level and what items are best.

It's been about 16 years now, so I can't remember the details all that well, but yes the people I played with (my university's gaming society) had house rules to level, something like every three (it could have been more) fights you won you could add a point to a stat.

They also had custom character choices in addition to the original ones, complete with character art on stat cards and little paper standees. Those had been found online, and were decently balanced.

Liberty's Edge

Quark Blast wrote:
Scythia wrote:
stuff... Parents being willing to let kids play outside, out of sight & unsupervised, as long as they were back by dinner. Those were the little adventures that inspired me to think about big adventures.

So this is where I adamantly deny that my, apparently more recent, childhood was just like that to insure that my parents don't get arrested for neglect.

;)

I remember those days! Back in 84-85, the best my mom could have said to anyone was that I was probably somewhere within a 5 or 6 mile radius, and I'd come home by dinner.

Now, in 2015, one of the key requirements for a house is that it have a fenced-in back yard, because I'm 100% unwilling to let the kids wander the wilds until they're 30.


Scythia wrote:
Aranna wrote:
Scythia wrote:
Talisman, the hours long RPG board game (did anybody play without houseruled leveling?)

There were house rules for leveling?

Actually I am addicted to Talisman now. Can't get enough of that computer game... learning all the ways to level and what items are best.

It's been about 16 years now, so I can't remember the details all that well, but yes the people I played with (my university's gaming society) had house rules to level, something like every three (it could have been more) fights you won you could add a point to a stat.

They also had custom character choices in addition to the original ones, complete with character art on stat cards and little paper standees. Those had been found online, and were decently balanced.

What version of Talisman did people play? I know I played Second Edition (square board interlocking pieces) for those who are not sure, I found a video that reviews Different Editions of the game.

In the game I played, I remember there was a rule (not a house rule) where you killed 5 strength monsters and you got one strength. I think the only one who could get Craft from craft monsters (ghosts and demons) was the Paladin. And if he got the Cross item then he auto killed those monsters.

.....can ya tell I still love the game? :D


I remember being offered to join a talisman game in 87 or 88... We never got around to actually playing it and I've never seen the game books themselves.


I played 4th edition (or is it 5th edition) Talisman most recently. I can remember that pretty clearly.

I also played 2e and 3e but my memories of those are MUCH more hazy.


ngc7293 wrote:
Scythia wrote:
Aranna wrote:
Scythia wrote:
Talisman, the hours long RPG board game (did anybody play without houseruled leveling?)

There were house rules for leveling?

Actually I am addicted to Talisman now. Can't get enough of that computer game... learning all the ways to level and what items are best.

It's been about 16 years now, so I can't remember the details all that well, but yes the people I played with (my university's gaming society) had house rules to level, something like every three (it could have been more) fights you won you could add a point to a stat.

They also had custom character choices in addition to the original ones, complete with character art on stat cards and little paper standees. Those had been found online, and were decently balanced.

What version of Talisman did people play? I know I played Second Edition (square board interlocking pieces) for those who are not sure, I found a video that reviews Different Editions of the game.

In the game I played, I remember there was a rule (not a house rule) where you killed 5 strength monsters and you got one strength. I think the only one who could get Craft from craft monsters (ghosts and demons) was the Paladin. And if he got the Cross item then he auto killed those monsters.

.....can ya tell I still love the game? :D

It was either first or second, I can't remember which. It was in our gaming society collection, which had things like the original deities and demigods, so who knows. Watching that video you linked, I just know it was the first board.


In case it isn't obvious, the version I play is the computer game version which came out within the last year or so. The AI has been getting better with each patch and the computers no longer alchemise their entire inventory when given the chance. In fact they now actively work against you and each other making them far more exciting to play with.


I just found the Talisman Digital Edition App for my ipad. It sort of works. There isn't a means to save the game which would be nice. With the board game, if you decide to break for food, there are no worries about the battery on the tablet.

I thought about getting the extras, but this is 4th edition which I am not used to.

Also, some of the items that I got during the game didn't add in during combats which was strange. I will have to play it more to be sure.

101 to 123 of 123 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Technology / 80s & 90s Tech, games & other stuff you loved back then. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Technology