Gold Plated Weapon


Rules Questions


I am creating a character and want it to have a masterwork gold plated dagger (just for bling purposes). Gold plating is stated to be three times the base cost and have the same properties as the base weapon. However the description is somewhat confusing as it also gives the stats for pure gold.
I want to be sure of everything and make a definitive thread as I couldn't find one elsewhere.

Masterwork Gold plated item =(base cost x 3) + Masterwork
same properties as base item

Pure gold item =base price x 10
light, -2 damage/-2 armor, +50% weight, ACP +2, hardness 5, fragile.

It also states that Gold can be magically hardened to steel-like consistency but no price is listed.


Don't forget the fragile quality.

Magic...the only specific ones I know of are the spell which increases hardness (called Hardening) and the spell which removes the "fragile" quality called "reinforce armaments".

They are level 1 and level 6 respectively, and still don't technically remove the damage penalties, but I'm sure if you are willing to burn that kind of money getting the effects rendered permanent that a GM would let it slide.

Alternatively, just have someone put a permanent minor image spell on it to make it pretty (still crazy expensive) and roll with it.

While on the topic: 50 coins of any substance = 1 pound, so don't worry too much about the rules making sense in real-world terms.


Earl of Essex0 wrote:
Gold plating is stated to be three times the base cost and have the same properties as the base weapon. However the description is somewhat confusing as it also gives the stats for pure gold.

As I understand it a gold plated weapon (or armor) just triples the cost of the item. It does not change anything else about it.

A solid gold item, on the other hand, changes significantly.

First off, only light piercing or slashing weapons can effectively be made of solid gold. Any other kind of solid gold weapon such as a two-handed sword, a morningstar, or a light mace cannot effectively be made from solid gold. Such a weapon would require Dungeon Master adjudication as to how it would work.

Second, only light and medium armors can effectively be made from solid gold, however they take a -2 to their armor class rating. The rules seem to indicate that shields can also be made from solid gold, but due to the -2 penalty they would not provide any armor class benefit. (I would rule that tower shields cannot effectively be made of solid gold.)

Earl of Essex0 wrote:

Masterwork Gold plated item =(base cost x 3) + Masterwork

same properties as base item.

I think this is correct.

Earl of Essex0 wrote:

Pure gold item =base price x 10

light, -2 damage/-2 armor, +50% weight, ACP +2, hardness 5, fragile.

I think this is generally correct, but remember that medium armors (and shields) can be made from solid gold too. Also, only light piercing or slashing weapons can effectively be made from solid gold.

Earl of Essex0 wrote:
It also states that Gold can be magically hardened to steel-like consistency but no price is listed.

I think this is because anything can exist, yet not everything has a price. A magical solid gold two-handed sword as hard as steel that is as effective as a normal magical sword can exist simply 'because'. Probably something the devil would use to tempt a sovereign into Damnation.

On the other hand there may be a spell that makes gold as hard as steel, I don't know.


Earl of Essex0 wrote:
It also states that Gold can be magically hardened to steel-like consistency but no price is listed.

I took this to mean that if you enchant the weapon, it loses Fragile and gains hardness as steel rather than gold.


Milo v3 wrote:
Earl of Essex0 wrote:
It also states that Gold can be magically hardened to steel-like consistency but no price is listed.
I took this to mean that if you enchant the weapon, it loses Fragile and gains hardness as steel rather than gold.

I agree.

So for a solid gold weapon you would need to add an additional 2,300 gp to magically make it equivalent to steel. This would be in addition to 10 times the price of the original weapon.

So a magically hardened solid gold bling dagger would cost 2,320 gp; it would have a +1 enchantment bonus and in all other ways it would be just like a normal dagger.


I was fairly certain about the properties, though I can see how it could be argued otherwise. I pretty much wanted to make sure that I didn't have to multiply the masterwork price by three along with the base price; that and start a thread which was clear about the Gold Special Material.

Scarab Sages

Lakesidefantasy wrote:
Earl of Essex0 wrote:
Gold plating is stated to be three times the base cost and have the same properties as the base weapon. However the description is somewhat confusing as it also gives the stats for pure gold.

As I understand it a gold plated weapon (or armor) just triples the cost of the item. It does not change anything else about it.

A solid gold item, on the other hand, changes significantly.

First off, only light piercing or slashing weapons can effectively be made of solid gold. Any other kind of solid gold weapon such as a two-handed sword, a morningstar, or a light mace cannot effectively be made from solid gold. Such a weapon would require Dungeon Master adjudication as to how it would work.

Second, only light and medium armors can effectively be made from solid gold, however they take a -2 to their armor class rating. The rules seem to indicate that shields can also be made from solid gold, but due to the -2 penalty they would not provide any armor class benefit. (I would rule that tower shields cannot effectively be made of solid gold.)

Earl of Essex0 wrote:

Masterwork Gold plated item =(base cost x 3) + Masterwork

same properties as base item.

I think this is correct.

Earl of Essex0 wrote:

Pure gold item =base price x 10

light, -2 damage/-2 armor, +50% weight, ACP +2, hardness 5, fragile.

I think this is generally correct, but remember that medium armors (and shields) can be made from solid gold too. Also, only light piercing or slashing weapons can effectively be made from solid gold.

Earl of Essex0 wrote:
It also states that Gold can be magically hardened to steel-like consistency but no price is listed.

I think this is because anything can exist, yet not everything has a price. A magical solid gold two-handed sword as hard as steel that is as effective as a normal magical sword can exist simply 'because'. Probably something the devil would use to tempt a sovereign into Damnation.

On...

Of course that doesn't mean you can't outfit your personal guard in ceremonial solid gold armour and weaponary for the bling factor. You could probably even do a rainbow effect with enough wealth afterall if you can make gem golems you can make Ruby, (orange gem of some sort) Topaz, Emerald, Saphire, Amethyst armour and weapons.


I am now tempted to create an encounter with an ogre who wields a solid gold club, just to watch my players' characters get beaten with their own loot.

Maybe the club would be treated as a fragile improvised weapon with a -2 to damage.


sounds like a good decisions, though I don't see why it would need to be improvised.

Unless the added weight made it count as oversized.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Senko wrote:
Of course that doesn't mean you can't outfit your personal guard in ceremonial solid gold armour and weaponary for the bling factor. You could probably even do a rainbow effect with enough wealth afterall if you can make gem golems you can make Ruby, (orange gem of some sort) Topaz, Emerald, Saphire, Amethyst armour and weapons.

And then they all climb into their color coordinated Apparatus's of Kwalish to battle evil.


boring7 wrote:

sounds like a good decisions, though I don't see why it would need to be improvised.

Unless the added weight made it count as oversized.

Improvised simply because an effective bludgeoning weapon can't technically by made out of solid gold.

I'm open to other suggestions, like perhaps the added weight does make it virtually oversized, in which case the penalty to attacks would be -2 rather than -4 for an improvised weapon and the ogre would need to use two hands to wield it.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
kikidmonkey wrote:
Senko wrote:
Of course that doesn't mean you can't outfit your personal guard in ceremonial solid gold armour and weaponary for the bling factor. You could probably even do a rainbow effect with enough wealth afterall if you can make gem golems you can make Ruby, (orange gem of some sort) Topaz, Emerald, Saphire, Amethyst armour and weapons.
And then they all climb into their color coordinated Apparatus's of Kwalish to battle evil.

I know it sounds power rangerish but there's a lot of fantasy that refers to a ruby knight, a black knight or the like.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Earl of Essex0 wrote:


It also states that Gold can be magically hardened to steel-like consistency but no price is listed.

From Ultimate Equipment:

"The following section presents general rules for armor and weapons made of bone, bronze, gold, obsidian, and stone. Most of these materials aren't as strong as steel and refer to the fragile quality for weapons and armor.

Items made from these materials can be magically strengthened at an additional cost of 100 gp per pound. See the individual material descriptions for the effect this has on the material's properties."

Grand Lodge

Lakesidefantasy wrote:

I am now tempted to create an encounter with an ogre who wields a solid gold club, just to watch my players' characters get beaten with their own loot.

Maybe the club would be treated as a fragile improvised weapon with a -2 to damage.

From Ultimate Equipment:

"Magically strengthened gold is the equivalent of steel and can be made into any armor or weapon that can be made of steel."

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Also, a gold-plated club is free! (0 gp x 3 = 0)

:-D

Scarab Sages

Phosphorus wrote:

Also, a gold-plated club is free! (0 gp x 3 = 0)

:-D

And then you scrape the gold off and buy another one I assume.


Hmmm...

A solid gold club is free. It weighs 4.5 pounds.

Gold is worth 50 gp per pound.

Woo Hoo! We found a new money machine!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Gold

Typically only used for ceremonial weapons and armor and for display, metal equipment made from gold is fragile, heavy, and expensive.

Often golden armor is gold-plated rather than constructed entirely from gold. Gold-plated items triple the base price of weapons and armor and have the same properties as the item the gold is plating. Items constructed purely of gold cost 10 times the normal price for items of their type. Gold items weigh 50% more than typical weapons or armor of their type.

Gold is often too soft to hold a decent edge, but light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be constructed of gold or some nearly gold alloy. They take a –2 penalty on damage rolls (minimum 1 damage).

Gold weapons have half the hardness of their base weapons and also have the fragile quality.

Gold can be fashioned into light or medium metal armor. The softness and the weight of the metal decrease the armor/shield bonus by 2,

It mentions that gold is to soft to hold an edge, and that light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be made of gold, and that they take a -2 penalty on damage rolls. That means, that blunt gold weapons and non-light gold weapons suffer no such damage penalty.


So, to answer the original question- gold PLATED?

Then don't worry about material rules. At all. Because the only one that is relavent here is the one about how you determine a weapon's properties based off of the material it is mostly made out of (ie- what happens if I have a spear with a mithral head and a wyroot shaft?)

Since this dagger is only gold PLATED, then it is mainly made out of normal steel/iron. Ergo, it is a normal weapon with slight embellishments. Maybe require it to be masterwork to reflect the quality of the workmanship for the gold bits.


Avildar wrote:
Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Gold

Typically only used for ceremonial weapons and armor and for display, metal equipment made from gold is fragile, heavy, and expensive.

Often golden armor is gold-plated rather than constructed entirely from gold. Gold-plated items triple the base price of weapons and armor and have the same properties as the item the gold is plating. Items constructed purely of gold cost 10 times the normal price for items of their type. Gold items weigh 50% more than typical weapons or armor of their type.

Gold is often too soft to hold a decent edge, but light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be constructed of gold or some nearly gold alloy. They take a –2 penalty on damage rolls (minimum 1 damage).

Gold weapons have half the hardness of their base weapons and also have the fragile quality.

Gold can be fashioned into light or medium metal armor. The softness and the weight of the metal decrease the armor/shield bonus by 2,

It mentions that gold is to soft to hold an edge, and that light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be made of gold, and that they take a -2 penalty on damage rolls. That means, that blunt gold weapons and non-light gold weapons suffer no such damage penalty.

This line of thinking makes me desperately wish that the devs would go back and make clarifications for this and alchemical silver to read: "Gold/alchemical silver is too soft to hold a fine edge, and takes a -2 penalty to damage as a result; due to the same softness the prevents the material from taking a sharp edge, gold/alchemical silver cannot be used to make bludgeoning weapons, as the weapons would dent and break easily." The very clear RAI of this is that you can't make bludgeoning weapons from gold, as if it's too soft to hold an edge, if you were to make a gold hammer and beat someone with it it would dent itself into uselessness after a few battles at best. The same with two-handed weapons; they aren't mentioned because unless they're magically strengthed, you either can't make them or they would be useless and too soft to be used as weapons.

Now, if you were to magically strengthen the gold item as you're crafting it, then it could be made into whatever you want. Note that "magically strengthen" is different from "make magic"; the rules for that sort of thing were changed from Ultimate Combat to Ultimate Equipment.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lakesidefantasy wrote:

Hmmm...

A solid gold club is free. It weighs 4.5 pounds.

Gold is worth 50 gp per pound.

Woo Hoo! We found a new money machine!

*head explodes*


Lakesidefantasy wrote:

Hmmm...

A solid gold club is free. It weighs 4.5 pounds.

Gold is worth 50 gp per pound.

Woo Hoo! We found a new money machine!

No! No! NoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOOooooO!

Dont sell it! You will end the entirety of all existece in an infinity recursion loop!

It will summon the 5th Rider of the Apocalypse. Beyond War, Pestillence, Famine and Death comes Broken Economy, Oblitterer of Campaigns! Woe to those that encounter him!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Ashram wrote:
Avildar wrote:
Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Gold

Typically only used for ceremonial weapons and armor and for display, metal equipment made from gold is fragile, heavy, and expensive.

Often golden armor is gold-plated rather than constructed entirely from gold. Gold-plated items triple the base price of weapons and armor and have the same properties as the item the gold is plating. Items constructed purely of gold cost 10 times the normal price for items of their type. Gold items weigh 50% more than typical weapons or armor of their type.

Gold is often too soft to hold a decent edge, but light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be constructed of gold or some nearly gold alloy. They take a –2 penalty on damage rolls (minimum 1 damage).

Gold weapons have half the hardness of their base weapons and also have the fragile quality.

Gold can be fashioned into light or medium metal armor. The softness and the weight of the metal decrease the armor/shield bonus by 2,

It mentions that gold is to soft to hold an edge, and that light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be made of gold, and that they take a -2 penalty on damage rolls. That means, that blunt gold weapons and non-light gold weapons suffer no such damage penalty.
This line of thinking makes me desperately wish that the devs would go back and make clarifications for this and alchemical silver to read: "Gold/alchemical silver is too soft to hold a fine edge, and takes a -2 penalty to damage as a result; due to the same softness the prevents the material from taking a sharp edge, gold/alchemical silver cannot be used to make bludgeoning weapons, as the weapons would dent and break easily." The very clear RAI of this is that you can't make bludgeoning weapons from gold, as if it's too soft to hold an edge, if you were to make a gold hammer and beat someone with it it would dent itself into uselessness after a few battles at best. The same with two-handed weapons;...

Alchemical Silver

A complex process involving metallurgy and alchemy can bond silver to a weapon made of steel so that it bypasses the damage reduction of creatures such as lycanthropes.

Alchemical Silver weapons are not solid silver, they are a silvered steel alloy of sorts.

Silver is also harder than gold, I believe in earlier editions solid gold weapons and armors had more than twice the penalties that solid silver weapons and armors had.


Queen Moragan wrote:
Ashram wrote:
Avildar wrote:
Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Gold

Typically only used for ceremonial weapons and armor and for display, metal equipment made from gold is fragile, heavy, and expensive.

Often golden armor is gold-plated rather than constructed entirely from gold. Gold-plated items triple the base price of weapons and armor and have the same properties as the item the gold is plating. Items constructed purely of gold cost 10 times the normal price for items of their type. Gold items weigh 50% more than typical weapons or armor of their type.

Gold is often too soft to hold a decent edge, but light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be constructed of gold or some nearly gold alloy. They take a –2 penalty on damage rolls (minimum 1 damage).

Gold weapons have half the hardness of their base weapons and also have the fragile quality.

Gold can be fashioned into light or medium metal armor. The softness and the weight of the metal decrease the armor/shield bonus by 2,

It mentions that gold is to soft to hold an edge, and that light weapons that deal piercing or slashing damage can be made of gold, and that they take a -2 penalty on damage rolls. That means, that blunt gold weapons and non-light gold weapons suffer no such damage penalty.
This line of thinking makes me desperately wish that the devs would go back and make clarifications for this and alchemical silver to read: "Gold/alchemical silver is too soft to hold a fine edge, and takes a -2 penalty to damage as a result; due to the same softness the prevents the material from taking a sharp edge, gold/alchemical silver cannot be used to make bludgeoning weapons, as the weapons would dent and break easily." The very clear RAI of this is that you can't make bludgeoning weapons from gold, as if it's too soft to hold an edge, if you were to make a gold hammer and beat someone with it it would dent itself into uselessness after a few battles at best. The
...

My headcanon as to why alchemical silver takes that damage penalty is because silver is softer than steel and the alchemical process that alloys the silver with the steel makes it weaker as a result. Which is why alchemical silver bludgeoning weapons aren't mentioned.


I'm pretty sure that Fragile is how its bludgeoning weakness is represented.

Scarab Sages

I'd really like it if some way were incorporated to give normally-impractical/inferior materials (such as gold, bone, obsidian, etc) interesting properties that made them worthwhile in a "situational," "niche," or "weird-tradeoff" sort of way.


Guru-Meditation wrote:
Lakesidefantasy wrote:

Hmmm...

A solid gold club is free. It weighs 4.5 pounds.

Gold is worth 50 gp per pound.

Woo Hoo! We found a new money machine!

No! No! NoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOOooooO!

Dont sell it! You will end the entirety of all existece in an infinity recursion loop!

It will summon the 5th Rider of the Apocalypse. Beyond War, Pestillence, Famine and Death comes Broken Economy, Oblitterer of Campaigns! Woe to those that encounter him!

I only ask that if my misguided attempt to grow money off trees becomes a full-blown wheel of cheese, you name it after me.

Lakesidefantasy's Golden Nugget, or Lakesidefantasy's Trump Club.


I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
I'd really like it if some way were incorporated to give normally-impractical/inferior materials (such as gold, bone, obsidian, etc) interesting properties that made them worthwhile in a "situational," "niche," or "weird-tradeoff" sort of way.

Have daywalking vampires that are weak to gold, like in American Vampire.


Well gold is pretty non-reactive. It isn't in RAW but you could make a gold weapon immune to rust monsters, acid, oozes, things like that. Probably, a solid gold weapon is also not effected by magnetism.


Come on, you all are now thinking of THIS now. 'Which class is this?' 'LOTS.'

And while a gold club is tempting as a rules abuse ... come on. The best possible gold weapon is an earthbreaker.

Scarab Sages

Baba Ganoush wrote:
Well gold is pretty non-reactive. It isn't in RAW but you could make a gold weapon immune to rust monsters, acid, oozes, things like that. Probably, a solid gold weapon is also not effected by magnetism.

It's also one of the most conductive of all elements (as are silver and copper, but I've read/heard conflicting reports on what the exact hierarchy is) - you could, to name only one possibility, make golden weapons both cost a bit less if enchanted with electrical damage properties, and contribute more damage than those properties normally deal on other weapons.

You could, of course, also draw on mythology and superstition about gold's properties, which include virtues like protection from disease and good luck - so golden armor could grant a small luck bonus to all saving throws that gets much bigger in the particular case of saving throws versus disease, and a golden weapon could deal more damage to disease-carrying creatures and/or offer a built-in +1 luck bonus to an attack roll with it 1/day (or once per day per point of effective enhancement bonus).

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Gold Plated Weapon All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.