Reincarnate for non-humanoids


Advice


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Being a Fetchling, I thought it would be nice to have a suitable table for the reincarnate spell.

The humanoid table, sorted by %, looks like this:
1 .. Bugbear (3d8+3)
1 .. Gnoll (2d8+2)
1 .. Lizardfolk (2d8+2)
1 .. Other (GM's choice)
1 .. Troglodyte (2d8+4)
4 .. Goblin (Advanced Race Guide Goblin) (1d10+1)
4 .. Kobold (Advanced Race Guide Kobold) (1d10)
4 .. Orc (Advanced Race Guide Orc) (1d10+1)
10 .. Half-elf (1d10+1)
10 .. Half-orc (1d10+5)
12 .. Dwarf
12 .. Elf (1d8)
12 .. Gnome
12 .. Halfling
15 .. Human (1d10+3)

The text is the Bestiary HD for the creature.

So, you have 1% chance for 3HD, 4% chance for 2HD or GM Choice, and 95% for 1HD or core race.

Here is my suggestion for Outsider (native):
1 .. Raktavarna (3d10+6)
1 .. Shikigami (3d10+3)
1 .. Spirit Oni (3d10+3)
1 .. Triton (3d10+3)
1 .. Urdefhan (3d10+9)
1 .. Other (GM's choice)
5 .. Suli (1d10+1)
5 .. Shabti (1d8+4)
12 .. Oread (1d10+2)
12 .. Sylph (1d8+1)
12 .. Undine (1d8)
12 .. Ifrit (1d6+2)
12 .. Aasimar (1d8+3)
12 .. Fetchling (1d8+2)
12 .. Tiefling (1d8+2)

These are all the native outsiders I know about with 3 or less HD. [I used the PF Community Bestiary DB.]

This adds up to 100%, so should be OK. I did not go all Outsiders, as many are truly linked to the planes, and I do not think reincarnating as a devil, demon, or azata as being reasonable.

Anyone want to contribute tables for other types? Or another one for native outsiders?

/cevah


In some of the older D&D settings reincarnate had its own quirky behavior. In Planescape for instance, on certain planes a character could get utterly corrupted by the spell and transformed into a true fiend by it. In Ravenloft there was a small chance of it going wrong and bringing you back undead (that was with all spells that could bring people back to life though).

So there's some precedent for weirdness, even really horrible weirdness, but, it was more circumstantial and tended to be a bad thing to be avoided (kids, don't cast reincarnate when you are adventuring in the Abyss, unless you want to fight your old friend when he comes back as a demon).

I've wanted to make more charts like this, but, never have gotten around to it, and in my current game handle it totally differently anyways.

I think it would be interesting to have reincarnate influenced by where and how you died though... like if you died a firey death coming back as an ifrit. If you died valorously fighting demons coming back as an aasimar. Granted, I don't think that sort of thing could be handled as a chart.


Update with +/- modifiers:
% .. Roll .. Race .. Base HD .. Size .. Notes
1 .. 1 .. Raktavarna .. (3d10+6) .. Tiny .. Stat Problem
1 .. 2 .. Shikigami .. (3d10+3) .. Tiny .. Stat Problem (+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int)
1 .. 3 .. Spirit Oni .. (3d10+3) .. Tiny .. Stat Problem
1 .. 4 .. Triton .. (3d10+3) .. Medium Stat Problem (+2 Dex, +2Cha, -2 to one other)
1 .. 5 .. Urdefhan .. (3d10+9) .. Medium .. Stat Problem
1 .. 6 .. Other .. (GM's choice)
5 .. 7-11 .. Suli .. (1d10+1) .. Medium .. +2 Str, -2 Int, +2 Cha
5 .. 12-16 .. Shabti .. (1d8+4) .. Medium .. +2 Con, +2 Cha
12 .. 17-28 .. Oread .. (1d10+2) .. Medium .. +2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
12 .. 29-40 .. Sylph .. (1d8+1) .. Medium .. +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int
12 .. 41-52 .. Undine .. (1d8) .. Medium .. -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Wis
12 .. 53-64 .. Ifrit .. (1d6+2) .. Medium .. +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha
12 .. 65-76 .. Aasimar .. (1d8+3) .. Medium .. +2 Wis, +2 Cha
12 .. 77-88 .. Fetchling .. (1d8+2) .. Medium .. +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha
12 .. 89-100 .. Tiefling .. (1d8+2) .. Medium .. +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha

The ones with a stat problem have a significant problem going from the Heroic NPC array to the Bestiary entry. The two with suggested +/- are best guess at what it should be. The others were taken from the ARG.

I think that by the time Regenerate comes on-line, the problem entries won't pose much of an issue for most campaigns.

/cevah

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Reincarnate for non-humanoids All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.