Arcane Strike oversight?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


2 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arcane Strike wrote:
As a swift action, you can imbue your weapons with a fraction of your power. For 1 round, your weapons deal +1 damage and are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. For every five caster levels you possess, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

Note the bold section. It looks like the bonus you get is dependent on all of your caster levels combined rather than just your highest arcane caster level, and this includes divine caster levels. At least that's what RAW appears to be.

For instance, a Bloodrager 4/Warpriest 16 gets a +5 bonus from Arcane Strike, or a Magus 9/Sorcerer 1 gets a +3 bonus. (Don't ask why I used these, they're just for examples)

So is this what was intended for the feat, or is this a massive oversight?


Looks like an Unintentional positive side effect of the wording.Cool find! Doesn't seem broken if true,and definitely unworthy of nerfing.


The only possible way I can figure to break it is by taking something with a racial SLA + an arcane class. That'd get you to the full +5 at level 10.


Not sure why you think that's an oversight.


HyperMissingno wrote:
Arcane Strike wrote:
As a swift action, you can imbue your weapons with a fraction of your power. For 1 round, your weapons deal +1 damage and are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. For every five caster levels you possess, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

Note the bold section. It looks like the bonus you get is dependent on all of your caster levels combined rather than just your highest arcane caster level, and this includes divine caster levels. At least that's what RAW appears to be.

For instance, a Bloodrager 4/Warpriest 16 gets a +5 bonus from Arcane Strike, or a Magus 9/Sorcerer 1 gets a +3 bonus. (Don't ask why I used these, they're just for examples)

So is this what was intended for the feat, or is this a massive oversight?

I think what is more interesting is that a mystic theurge can max out the feat quicker than most.

Wizard 3/cleric 3/MT 7 would have +5 by level 13.


Marroar Gellantara wrote:
HyperMissingno wrote:
Arcane Strike wrote:
As a swift action, you can imbue your weapons with a fraction of your power. For 1 round, your weapons deal +1 damage and are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. For every five caster levels you possess, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

Note the bold section. It looks like the bonus you get is dependent on all of your caster levels combined rather than just your highest arcane caster level, and this includes divine caster levels. At least that's what RAW appears to be.

For instance, a Bloodrager 4/Warpriest 16 gets a +5 bonus from Arcane Strike, or a Magus 9/Sorcerer 1 gets a +3 bonus. (Don't ask why I used these, they're just for examples)

So is this what was intended for the feat, or is this a massive oversight?

I think what is more interesting is that a mystic theurge can max out the feat quicker than most.

Wizard 3/cleric 3/MT 7 would have +5 by level 13.

As much as people hate on the mystic theurge for not being powerful enough, things like this would make the prestige class worth taking.


Wizard 3/ Cleric 3/ Theurge X with a racial SLA gets it maxed at level 9 by my count (total of 21 caster levels).


kestral287 wrote:
Wizard 3/ Cleric 3/ Theurge X with a racial SLA gets it maxed at level 9 by my count (total of 21 caster levels).

I wonder if each SLA counts as having it's own caster level?


Marroar Gellantara wrote:
kestral287 wrote:
Wizard 3/ Cleric 3/ Theurge X with a racial SLA gets it maxed at level 9 by my count (total of 21 caster levels).
I wonder if each SLA counts as having it's own caster level?

Doubtful. You could try to swing it but that's a lot wonkier.


This amuses me. It also means that the new psychic classes could use it with 1 arcane spell level haha

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Arcane Strike oversight? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.