Did you find Star Wars 7 new lightsaber great or ridiculous?


Movies

101 to 150 of 268 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
yellowdingo wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Last I checked, Idris Elba isn't mentioned for the cast of this movie, so that's a really weird exception to make. That's like going "oh it's probably Gwyneth Paltrow because she walks with legs."

Sovereign Court

@Rynjin

Not true. I like chocolate. And girls. I like girls a lot. And food. And gaming. And myself.

But I just found the crossguard completely impractical. There was a fan revision that makes so much more sense. This seems like it could easily get chopped off.


Maybe. It could be made of super-indestructium or something.

I admit I'm only passingly familiar with the Star Wars lore. My knowledge is basically limited to half-assed viewings of the movies, and KoTOR.

Sovereign Court

Lightsabers can, basically, cut through everything. Except another lightsaber's blade. And if you bring in the EU in, a mineral called corthosis, can resist it for a short period of time. But it is incredibly rare and hard to come by. Also, JJ tossed the entire EU aside so it's probably not corthosis.

Although, the rule of cool and willing suspension of disbelief...

I miss my childish wanderlust.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Charles Scholz wrote:

I like it.

Think about this. How many times have you seen a jedi/sith battle in which they press their lightsabers together and their faces and bodies are only 6" apart. The lightsaber crossguard would keep that sort of thing from happening.

I will practically guarantee you that you'll still get those close ups, no matter what kind of lightsabers are involved. It's called dramatic effect.


Since apparently there is some sort of magnetic field that encloses the plasma (see Hama's link in the C3P0 thread) couldn't that field be extended to the cross piece so that the plasma can't cut through it?

In fact, now that I think of it, why hasn't someone come up with body armour that creates that field making it impervious to a light sabre?


why don't the guns they use shoot lightsaber bullets?

Sovereign Court

Magnetic field just holds the plasma in place. But I guess that could work.


GregH wrote:

{. . .}

In fact, now that I think of it, why hasn't someone come up with body armour that creates that field making it impervious to a light sabre?

Not to present this as a shining example (the movie was pretty bad), but somebody did: Those droids seen in The Phantom Menace that rolled for fast movement and then unrolled and walked for combat had forcefields all around themselves to keep from being hit by lightsabres.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rynjin wrote:
Yeah, but you don't like anything.

Hey! That's MY bag!!!

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The lightsaber crossguards were cool imo. They aren't practical, and your're likely to cut off your own arms with them, but a lightsaber is already impractical, and you're likely to decapitate yourself with a normal one.

The red blades indicate it's a sith, and that means they are there for intimidation and to display mastery of the force. Any actual use of them for offence or defense is going to be incidental.

The Exchange

Slaunyeh wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
Last I checked, Idris Elba isn't mentioned for the cast of this movie, so that's a really weird exception to make. That's like going "oh it's probably Gwyneth Paltrow because she walks with legs."

Tell me I was wrong a year from now...I simply see something in the scene about how the character walks and moves that makes me think holy crap...its him.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm normally not a fan of Stephen Colbert... but this just cracked me up. Plus, it's relevant to the discussion. I'll take his explanation as to how it works over anything else I've seen... because it actually makes sense.


Blayde MacRonan wrote:
I'm normally not a fan of Stephen Colbert... but this just cracked me up. Plus, it's relevant to the discussion. I'll take his explanation as to how it works over anything else I've seen... because it actually makes sense.

He has a point. Well, as much of a point as anyone talking about theoretical physics in a fantasy/sci-fi setting with quasi-religion/magic has.

Edit: Plus he called them/some of you nerfherders, which is awesome.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Regardless of what I think of the lightsaber (or light-longsword), I've got to admire the fact that they got everyone talking about it. Same with that bowling droid; whoever made this teaser gave us enough material to talk in every forum of discussion that exist on the internetz.

So despite the histrionics, this teaser (and the lightsaber) is a true masterpiece!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Electric Wizard wrote:

The new cross-guard is stupid. It represents yet another Elitist's hatred for Star Wars Fans, because we all know *what* a light saber can do and showing this cross-guard to us is basically the same as flipping us the bird, and yelling, "F.U. Star Wars Fans, I can do whatever I want to your icons, and I know you'll still pay me off handsomely, with ca$h, in the end... b1tches."

Yep.

We Star Trek fans warned you.

Sovereign Court

I'll wait for the entire movie to commence with the hatred.

Sovereign Court

Jaelithe wrote:
Electric Wizard wrote:

The new cross-guard is stupid. It represents yet another Elitist's hatred for Star Wars Fans, because we all know *what* a light saber can do and showing this cross-guard to us is basically the same as flipping us the bird, and yelling, "F.U. Star Wars Fans, I can do whatever I want to your icons, and I know you'll still pay me off handsomely, with ca$h, in the end... b1tches."

Yep.

We Star Trek fans warned you.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If they had made the crossguard more V shaped, like that of a scottish claymore and put a couple of little things below it, that the wielder can safely slide his hand against, it would probably the best lightsaber design in the franchise concerning functionality.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So after I found out this guy actually existed, I am for more willing to forgive any seemingly absurd choice of weaponry in a movie.


Would be more cool with a ring emitter to mimic a tsuba...

...but I can dig it. It looks cool.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Churchill actually captured an entire squad just with his sword. And he charged Normandy with a broadsword.


I liked the new ST movies.
I will probably like the new SW movies.

I don't get the GRAWR.


Who would have thought that the coolest Churchill during the war wasn't Winston?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Churchill and broadsword, at Normandy.

Scarab Sages

Lord Snow wrote:
So after I found out this guy actually existed, I am for more willing to forgive any seemingly absurd choice of weaponry in a movie.

I'd love to see a movie set in WW2 about him. Although I'm sure there would be people calling it a Captain America rip off.


Kryzbyn wrote:
Churchill and broadsword, at Normandy.

Who the Hell said you could make a pre-JJ Trek reference?

Surrender yourself to the nice men at the door when you hear the knock.


Lord Snow wrote:
So after I found out this guy actually existed, I am for more willing to forgive any seemingly absurd choice of weaponry in a movie.

Trench weapons are also interesting. You have the first mechanized warfare, and ironically it pushes a segment of soldiering back a hundred years into needing a dedicated melee weapon.

The Exchange

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Hama wrote:
Churchill actually captured an entire squad just with his sword. And he charged Normandy with a broadsword.

You exaggerate, he wasn't all that under equipped.

Spoiler:
He also had a bagpipe.


Actually, tabletop RPGs have this. Was reading through some Star Wars Saga Edition rulebooks recently, and in one of them (I believe it's the Jedi Academy Training Manual), they have stats for a crosssguard lightsaber.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Threeshades wrote:
If they had made the crossguard more V shaped, like that of a scottish claymore and put a couple of little things below it, that the wielder can safely slide his hand against, it would probably the best lightsaber design in the franchise concerning functionality.

would those be consummate V's?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kryzbyn wrote:

I liked the new ST movies.

I will probably like the new SW movies.

I don't get the GRAWR.

IMO Into Darkness tried to pilfer emotional impact it hadn't earned from Wrath of Khan and suffered greatly for it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lord Snow wrote:
So after I found out this guy actually existed, I am for more willing to forgive any seemingly absurd choice of weaponry in a movie.

Awesome. Little by little, "Rasputin Must Die!" becomes incrementally more probable.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Terquem wrote:
Threeshades wrote:
If they had made the crossguard more V shaped, like that of a scottish claymore and put a couple of little things below it, that the wielder can safely slide his hand against, it would probably the best lightsaber design in the franchise concerning functionality.
would those be consummate V's?

{in an alternate reality, Disney execs greenlight "Strongbad Wars VII: The Trogdor Awakens"}


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I've given this some thought (likely more than it deserves) but if I can suspend my disbelief in order to accept beings that use an invisible energy to augment their abilities or do other amazing things I can suspend it for a lightsaber with quillons.


Also keep in mind that things COULD change appearance between the teaser and the finished film. One example that jumps to mind is an early teaser for The Incredibles that showed Mr. Incredible flying Superman-style, which he never did in the finished film. (That teaser was pretty funny, by the way, even though that particular scene didn't fit into the finished film.)

Dark Archive

Blayde MacRonan wrote:
I'm normally not a fan of Stephen Colbert... but this just cracked me up. Plus, it's relevant to the discussion. I'll take his explanation as to how it works over anything else I've seen... because it actually makes sense.

I give the man kudos for being a Star Wars fan two weeks longer then me.

The Exchange

baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Blayde MacRonan wrote:
I'm normally not a fan of Stephen Colbert... but this just cracked me up. Plus, it's relevant to the discussion. I'll take his explanation as to how it works over anything else I've seen... because it actually makes sense.
I give the man kudos for being a Star Wars fan two weeks longer then me.

Okay. Oddly logical. Assuming that Lucas doesnt screw it up 365 days from now.


yellowdingo wrote:
Tell me I was wrong a year from now...I simply see something in the scene about how the character walks and moves that makes me think holy crap...its him.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that dismissing my comment by going "except it's Idris Elba" is a bit... premature. You are certainly welcome to your personal theories.

The Exchange

Slaunyeh wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
Tell me I was wrong a year from now...I simply see something in the scene about how the character walks and moves that makes me think holy crap...its him.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that dismissing my comment by going "except it's Idris Elba" is a bit... premature. You are certainly welcome to your personal theories.

It him.


yellowdingo wrote:
It him.

If you know this to be true, there's even less reason to be an arrogant jerk about it. Just leave those of us without precognition to our hopes and dreams, eh?

The Exchange

Slaunyeh wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
It him.
If you know this to be true, there's even less reason to be an arrogant jerk about it. Just leave those of us without precognition to our hopes and dreams, eh?

I'm not being an arrogant jerk about anything. It just happens that on this sinking boat, telling you why I think its him will lighten the despair of the moment. And loser swims.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Spoiler:
There have been rumors that Gwendoline Christie has been practicing with lightsabers.

source

video of Christie's first lightsaber duel

Brienne of Darth!


< - - - - - >
Aim any old how, goto the dentist.

Now I'm wondering if a light saber weighs more when it's turned on than when it's off?

.

Sovereign Court

Maybe infinitesimally more.


Only if a light saber is a matter/energy converter (nuclear reactor), no?

Admittedly I'm in way over my head...maybe a resident physicist could shed some light (rimshot).

Edit: And if there were energy->matter conversion, wouldn't we would expect the blade to remain around when the power is cut off...?

Scarab Sages

bugleyman wrote:


Edit: And if there were energy->matter conversion, wouldn't we would expect the blade to remain around when the power is cut off...?

The blade is plasma, it reverts back to gas and disperses when the saber is powered off.

Sovereign Court

Also, Colbert explained it pretty nicely.


Imbicatus wrote:
bugleyman wrote:


Edit: And if there were energy->matter conversion, wouldn't we would expect the blade to remain around when the power is cut off...?
The blade is plasma, it reverts back to gas and disperses when the saber is powered off.

And lets not talk about the amount of energy required to turn room temperature gas into an ionized plasma or the temperatures that it would create...


All of that energy is supplied by the magic (sorry, Force-rich) crystals.

101 to 150 of 268 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Did you find Star Wars 7 new lightsaber great or ridiculous? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.