If you could have one mid-level super power....


Gamer Life General Discussion

1 to 50 of 83 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

None of that universe unraveling stuff.

I would love to have super strength, and the toughness that comes with it. I know it's not too much of a super power considering flight or super speed, but I just like it for some reason.

Being able to stop an armored truck with a punch would be awesome.

Although I would also love to be able to punch someone through the internet :)


Super speed is actually one of my favorites, but if I had to choose just one power, it would probably be shapeshifting. Unlimited, partial or complete, shapeshifting.

Being able to grow wings and fly, or getting a bird of prey's eyes, or a tiger's claws, etc.

For more mundane uses, would likely allow a limited amount of stretching, or changing gender just for giggles, or disguising myself as other people.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Healing touch would be awesome because I have friends and family that could use it.

Also I'd love to be able to close my palm, activate my power, and when I open my hand it has gummy bears in it.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Teleportation, hands down. I hate wasting time in transit.
Edit: I've also never understood why teleportation doesn't heal, since you're basically reconstructing yourself somewhere else, why not build yourself healthy.

If not teleportation, cryomancy. I like to imagine myself chilling a glass of lemonade on a warm summer day.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Sign me up for Shapeshifting classes.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Flight.

Specifically, being able to fly like Superman.

That would be amazing.


(Movie) Mystique-level shapeshifting.


Duplication. I'd love to be able to be 2 or 3 (or more!) places at once.


Shape shifting into anything /but/ humans.
Or mushrooms.

Sovereign Court

Man, I am so mundane compared to you guys :D


That's what you get for asking a madman a question.

An answer.

Scarab Sages

Telekinesis, including the telekinetic flight, force field, and direct telekinetic blast bit (I'd say that's all appropriate for "mid-level superpower").


The ability to heal others. Preferably including the ability to heal congenital defects (even if it was very straining upon me, or injured me to do so).

If I was able to choose a suite, I'd have others, but if we're going with just one, this is it.


Telepathy.

...

MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!


{continues stuffing thyme in a bottle} After this summer's superhero movies, I'm surprised no one has picked superspeed yet.


It might be considered universe shattering.

But I'd like the teleportion power as someone already suggested. But I want it without limits.

Across the universe. To other dimensions. To different times.

Basically if I want to do lunch after fighting dinosaurs, I go to fin de siecle Paris. Later I'm going to pop over to Barsoom to say hi to John and Deja (it's all real somewhere).

Absolutely no limits. I can go anywhere, any time. And what the heck I want to be able to take people with me too.

Scarab Sages

Fast healing / supernatural health - seriously - as prone to small injuries and sickness as I am, that would be beyond useful.


Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
{continues stuffing thyme in a bottle} After this summer's superhero movies, I'm surprised no one has picked superspeed yet.

Because, you also need super-perception, super-balance, super-foot grip, and super friction to use that properly.


Perfect shapeshifting.
You know the power to actually become anything else.
I want to be a dragon... ~poof~ I am a real dragon complete with innate magic, a breath weapon, flight, and dragon armor. Want to try out being an elf ~poof~ play in the forest all day long. Want to earn some cash as a body double for some actress ~poof~ I am her.


Hama wrote:
None of that universe unraveling stuff. . . .

Define mid-level.

I'd say Spiderman is kind of a mid level hero, but his danger sense + ridiculous agility should keep him relatively untouchable... but it doesn't because he is such a slacker.

icehawk333 wrote:
Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
{continues stuffing thyme in a bottle} After this summer's superhero movies, I'm surprised no one has picked superspeed yet.
Because, you also need super-perception, super-balance, super-foot grip, and super friction to use that properly.

Boo.

Quicksilver has one power. Period.

He just uses it creatively.


No, all super speedsters have a number of required secondary powers.

Many others do as well.

They need some kind of resistance to friction. Or they would burn at those speeds.

They need superior balance to avoid slamming into s*%& when moving t mach 5 on foot.

Super traction, for obvious reasons.

Super mental speed, so your brain can keep up with your body.

All of these, and more (super lungs, so you can breathe, for instance) are necessary for speedsters like the Flash or Quicksilver. Less so for ones like Sloth of FMA (he is unable to see or change direcctions when he moves), but ones with control over their speed like that? Yeah. No amount of "creativity" overcomes those physical imitations.


Much like you need some level of invulnerability to go with your superstrength or you can't actually use it for much. Doesn't really make any sense to be able to lift a 10 ton boulder and have it crush you in the process.

At super-speed you need more than friction resistance or the smallest bit of anything in the air would go right through you. The air itself can't get out of your way fast enough, so it would be like running into a brick wall. Meanwhile, you've still got to be able to breath this air that's rushing past you at mach.

Personally, just for the fun of it: If it's strictly only one power - flight.
With something closer to a full set, enough of Spiderman's abilities to be able to move like he does - clinging, agility, enough strength to jump. Despite all his angst nobody has more fun just moving around.

More practically, telepathy would probably be the most useful and unobtrusive, but creepiest.
Healing - of myself and others, but that leads to complications and spending your whole life doing nothing but healing people.

Shadow Lodge

It's safe to assume that you get required secondary powers with whatever power you select.

Sovereign Court

Yep. Like I said, I want super strength. And super toughness that comes with it.

Scarab Sages

Another one I thought of, if we're going to be all "pragmatic" and crap: The ability to force people to tell the truth!


Kthulhu wrote:
It's safe to assume that you get required secondary powers with whatever power you select.

This.

You adapt to the power. :P

If I were building a character for Aberrant, yes, I'd stat out Mega-Dexterity and Enhanced Speed as well as Mega-Stamina to represent surviving the stress of high speeds and speed healing and Mega-Wits to think fast and a host of other abilities to go with the super speed theme.

But it's still based in one thing, the ability to change your frame of reference. :)


Weather Control
My friends and I put together a character with Champions and she could do a lot more than Storm. Plus, living in my own personal snow free temperate environment would be nice. :D

Edit: If not the above, my other favorite is similar to Teleport. It comes from Dark Horse Comics, Comic's Greatest Heroes. and she was called Grace. She had the ability to create Gateways to where ever she wanted to go. She used them as weapons too. She sent some bad guy to the bottom of the Marianas Trench

Silver Crusade

Mid-level? How do we define that?

Teleport is up there, but how about Immortality?

A similar mental exercise would be, 'What fictional superhero's superpowers would you like to have, while still living the life you have now?' So, you wouldn't be fighting crime or saving the world, just living your life.


It is a question of how you define "mid level" and how you define "one power". My favorite is super metabolic efficiency. Something that makes you about six times as good at everything...strength, speed, healing, senses.


Sorry, not playing.

Oh man, if you all KNEW what you really are. This game would be seen as pointless.

:)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
EltonJ wrote:

Sorry, not playing.

Oh man, if you all KNEW what you really are. This game would be seen as pointless.

:)

Shhhhh! Ix-nay on the acked-jay into the atrix-may laad-say arvae-lay cubators-inay!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Immunity to the common cold.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

::Thinks about 23 month old daughter, 1 week old son, and recovering wife, and his never ending list of chores:: Duplication sounds pretty good right, especially if the original retains memories from all the copies (those episdoes of NCIS and PRPG books aren't going to view themselves you know....

::Thinks about commute when returning to work:: Then again, teleportation sounds pretty nifty too...


Superhuman health for me, I think. I don't need to have regeneration, but simply knowing that I'm not going to get sick, develop any infections and generally grow old gracefully would be good for me. If I could get a reduction in the need to eat and sleep as well into the bargain, maybe even with a slightly longer life, that would be cool too.


Immunity to ice cream headache would be nice.

I've long since wished I has the ability to deflate tires or cause car batteries to die with my mind to deal with jerks on the road.

Traveling ahead in time so I could binge watch pop culture then travel back to our current time and troll the internets with spoilers. Muahahaha, I'd be unstoppable!


Just enough of a damage shield to stun irritating bugs before they bite me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I'd like either Reed Richards level of intelligence or Tony Stark level of engineering ability. Ideally a combination of both.

I'd be solving problems all day and everyday.

Clean, Renewable energy sources? Done.

Non-Lethal Weaponry? Done.

Faster than Light Travel capabilities? Done.

Curing diseases (Cancer, HIV, Parkinsons, etc)? Done.

Building moon based Mass Drivers aimed at the earth? Done.

Wait...did I say that last bit out loud?


ShinHakkaider wrote:

I'd like either Reed Richards level of intelligence or Tony Stark level of engineering ability. Ideally a combination of both.

I'd be solving problems all day and everyday.

Clean, Renewable energy sources? Done.

Non-Lethal Weaponry? Done.

Faster than Light Travel capabilities? Done.

Curing diseases (Cancer, HIV, Parkinsons, etc)? Done.

Building moon based Mass Drivers aimed at the earth? Done.

Wait...did I say that last bit out loud?

Sorry, both of those come with the Reed Richards is Useless limitation. No actually changing the world with your brilliance.

You could probably so the moon based Mass Drivers though. That's more a Von Doom level of intelligence though. Comes with its own set of problems.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well if super intelligence is out, is super charisma allowed? Give a charming smile, convince world leaders to work together sort of thing?


thejeff wrote:

Sorry, both of those come with the Reed Richards is Useless limitation. No actually changing the world with your brilliance.

You could probably so the moon based Mass Drivers though. That's more a Von Doom level of intelligence though. Comes with its own set of problems.

Yeah, and the current Stark has turned Insufferable Genius past 11, past Jerka**, and deep into a**hole territory. Doom may be a megalomaniacal tyrant, but he isn't a supreme a**hole about it.

Silver Crusade

I'd pick long-range telepathy.


Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
thejeff wrote:

Sorry, both of those come with the Reed Richards is Useless limitation. No actually changing the world with your brilliance.

You could probably so the moon based Mass Drivers though. That's more a Von Doom level of intelligence though. Comes with its own set of problems.

Yeah, and the current Stark has turned Insufferable Genius past 11, past Jerka**, and deep into a**hole territory. Doom may be a megalomaniacal tyrant, but he isn't a supreme a**hole about it.

I totally want to see Doom be accused of something and be all "Good GOD! Do I look like that much of a a-hole to you?"


I would want something subtle but incredibly useful, like some mutants used to have back in the day. A superhuman sense of balance for insane cycling ability, polylanguage(especially AOA/Reborn Cypher level), superhuman acuity for near unbeatable senses, that kinda thing. Stuff out of Alphas, essentially.


Once again, I'd go with polymorphing. I'd love the ability to change my body at will... but how far can i go?

-Can i modify my brain chemistry at will? Natural prozac, getting all the effects of drugs without the bad parts...

-Is duplication off? Can't i use my mass to produce two thinner "me"s?

If not, Watchmen's Ozymandias' level of inteligence would be neat too...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Shapeshifting. Gain the benefits of almost any other superpower, and look like an idealised version of yourself without pesky exercise.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Definitely telekinesis since it's pretty much a dozen or so powers in one if used right.


Efreeti wrote:

Once again, I'd go with polymorphing. I'd love the ability to change my body at will... but how far can i go?

-Can i modify my brain chemistry at will? Natural prozac, getting all the effects of drugs without the bad parts...

-Is duplication off? Can't i use my mass to produce two thinner "me"s?

If not, Watchmen's Ozymandias' level of inteligence would be neat too...

interesting...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Efreeti wrote:

Once again, I'd go with polymorphing. I'd love the ability to change my body at will... but how far can i go?

-Can i modify my brain chemistry at will? Natural prozac, getting all the effects of drugs without the bad parts...

-Is duplication off? Can't i use my mass to produce two thinner "me"s?

If not, Watchmen's Ozymandias' level of inteligence would be neat too...

interesting...

Polymorph is the power you wish your girlfriend had...!


Efreeti wrote:
-Is duplication off? Can't i use my mass to produce two thinner "me"s?

Ugh. On most days, I can barely stand one of me.

Also, I'm pretty clumsy. More than one of me just increases the odds that all the me's die together in some horrible crit fumble.


So... if someone loses weight enough to make a whole person, is that murder?

1 to 50 of 83 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / If you could have one mid-level super power.... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.