polish government to tax internet


Off-Topic Discussions

The Exchange

A nifty tax on internet use


Online iron curtain tax provokes mass protests in Hungary

Since I can't read the entire article, how does Hungary = Poland?

BTW, my payment to my cable company contains taxes, so this is far from the first tax on the Internet.

Found the article (I think) here.

No mention of Poland in the article.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hungary and Poland are actually two separate countries, thank you very much.

And I am disappointed, such level of geographical ignorance is beholden to the Yankees, it's sad to find it among Kangaroos.


Don't scare me like that!


Vod, don't be rude with Yellowdingo, he has reading and understanding difficulties. Moreso, you can easily confuse countries like Poland, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal or Finland as they share the same borders, culture and language...

Shadow Lodge

Err... I'm pretty sure most Irish people speak Irish primarily, and most Portuguese speak Portuguese, at least. I have no doubt many of them know English and Spanish, respectively, but I'm still pretty sure they have their own languages.

I'm not quite as familiar with the others on your list but I'm fairly sure their situation is similar.

... unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case it's too early in the morning for my sensor to be active...


Beware. Polish scientists invented blasters.


As an Australian, I can tell you that the Australian map has two labels on it: Us, and Foreigners.

[just to be entirely clear, this is a joke. Not sure how YD got Poland out of Hungary.]


Orthos wrote:
... unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case it's too early in the morning for my sensor to be active...

I'm pretty certain Citoyen Spawn's post was sarcasm, but please forgive the pedantry:

Spoiler:
The majority of residents of the Irish Republic speak English primarily with Irish as their second language. Only a minority of the population speaks Irish primarily.

Wiki

Shadow Lodge

Doodlebug Anklebiter wrote:
Orthos wrote:
... unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case it's too early in the morning for my sensor to be active...

I'm pretty certain Citoyen Spawn's post was sarcasm, but please forgive the pedantry:

** spoiler omitted **

Huh. Learned somethin' today. Thanks.

Liberty's Edge

Gorbacz wrote:

Hungary and Poland are actually two separate countries, thank you very much.

And I am disappointed, such level of geographical ignorance is beholden to the Yankees, it's sad to find it among Kangaroos.

According to the dingo theory of cosmic quantum strings all countries are mere superpositions of the same country which is just a superposition of a quantum scale mango.

Silver Crusade

Orthos wrote:

Err... I'm pretty sure most Irish people speak Irish primarily, and most Portuguese speak Portuguese, at least. I have no doubt many of them know English and Spanish, respectively, but I'm still pretty sure they have their own languages.

I'm not quite as familiar with the others on your list but I'm fairly sure their situation is similar.

... unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case it's too early in the morning for my sensor to be active...

Technically Gaelic is the official language of the Republic of Ireland but English prevails most of the time!

and of course there are the countries of Avalon (right next to Camelot) the land of Nod and I am reliably informed some Americans believe in the Easter Bunny

Of Note Hungary fought for a couple of century's against the Ottomans (but were eventually conquered) and the Winged lancers of Poland were instrumental in breaking the siege of Vienna

Silver Crusade

Also Polish code breakers managed to capture an enigma machine and get it to Britain so helping Bletchley Park break the German codes and likely shortened the war by between 1-2 years


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Man, is it a good thing Norman Davies doesn't read these forums. He'd have popped a vein at someone confusing Poland with another nation.


Gorbacz wrote:

Hungary and Poland are actually two separate countries, thank you very much.

And I am disappointed, such level of geographical ignorance is beholden to the Yankees, it's sad to find it among Kangaroos.

Not all yankees...some of us actually pay attention in school, for all the good it does with our educational system. In any case, it's not ignorance so much as apathy, at least from my very limited perspective, which is by no means indicative of anyone else.


Heh.


Javin Swifthand wrote:
Orthos wrote:

Err... I'm pretty sure most Irish people speak Irish primarily, and most Portuguese speak Portuguese, at least. I have no doubt many of them know English and Spanish, respectively, but I'm still pretty sure they have their own languages.

I'm not quite as familiar with the others on your list but I'm fairly sure their situation is similar.

... unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case it's too early in the morning for my sensor to be active...

Technically Gaelic is the official language of the Republic of Ireland but English prevails most of the time!

and of course there are the countries of Avalon (right next to Camelot) the land of Nod and I am reliably informed some Americans believe in the Easter Bunny

Of Note Hungary fought for a couple of century's against the Ottomans (but were eventually conquered) and the Winged lancers of Poland were instrumental in breaking the siege of Vienna

Well, we had one king and one queen female king that technically were Hungarian...

Silver Crusade

please tell me more

to my shame Hungarian history is not my strong point

if it was Byzantine that's another matter....


Jadwiga Of Poland and her father Louis I of Hungary.


Americans suck at geography... then again, I don't think I could place more than fifteen American states correctly.

Shadow Lodge

Think it's safe to say that unless you're an unusual outlier, you're not much familiar with geographical and geopolitical boundaries and features outside your immediate area, and that applies everywhere =P


I'd be hard-pressed to screw up any of Europe too badly if at all (maybe Slovenia), and I might still be able to get all 50 states. Asia would be slightly harder for me because I always want to think that Singapore is part of Malaysia, and because of all the Stans now being independent countries. Africa... I could maybe get 50% of them right, although most of the countries have changed names at least once since I was learning them as a wee lad.

Mrs Gersen is way better than I am -- I think she'd score 95% for identifying every nation on Earth, plus the capitals. But she works in aviation support, so she has an unfair advantage.

EDIT: Screwed up the Stans royally. Also, Brunei? Still, 81% for Asia.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've notified our Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Prepare for a sudden drop in vodka import, filthy koalas.


Javin Swifthand wrote:
Orthos wrote:

Err... I'm pretty sure most Irish people speak Irish primarily, and most Portuguese speak Portuguese, at least. I have no doubt many of them know English and Spanish, respectively, but I'm still pretty sure they have their own languages.

I'm not quite as familiar with the others on your list but I'm fairly sure their situation is similar.

... unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case it's too early in the morning for my sensor to be active...

Technically Gaelic is the official language of the Republic of Ireland but English prevails most of the time!

and of course there are the countries of Avalon (right next to Camelot) the land of Nod and I am reliably informed some Americans believe in the Easter Bunny

Of Note Hungary fought for a couple of century's against the Ottomans (but were eventually conquered) and the Winged lancers of Poland were instrumental in breaking the siege of Vienna

We almost always refer to it as Irish rather than Gaelic, but you're right.

The Exchange

Angstspawn wrote:
Vod, don't be rude with Yellowdingo, he has reading and understanding difficulties. Moreso, you can easily confuse countries like Poland, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal or Finland as they share the same borders, culture and language...

Now you is just insulting. I swear the article said Poland and Warsaw before I linked it.


Not insulting Yellowsweetie, maybe there was a bit of irony or pedantry (as underlined by our educated Anklebiter) but nothing more.

Anyway, it's always better to post a bit less and check a bit more...

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / polish government to tax internet All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.