General Discussion: Kineticist


Rules Discussion

1,901 to 1,950 of 4,774 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

When was it said we won't get a second draft?


Perhaps what they need to do is not multiply the burn the way they do. If, for instance, it increased only every two levels, the class would last a lot longer.

Shadow Lodge

Apparently there's been over 200 posts since last I looked in, and for some reason when I use the search function it's not showing me posts I know are (were?) there before, so apologies if any of these have been answered in the interim:

Do we know if:

1 - Can Metamagic feats affect blasts/talents? (Force Blast + Toppling Spell would be a nice combo)

2 - Can Telekinetic Haul be used on a willing creature (other than self) as well as an object? If not, can it be used on an object that a creature is standing on top of?

3 - Would racial alternative traits that affect elemental/ish bloodline powers/spells also apply to Wild Talents and Blasts? For example:

Advanced Race Guide wrote:


Some dwarves’ affinity for the earth grants them greater powers. Dwarves with this racial trait are treated as one level higher when casting spells with the earth descriptor or using granted powers of the Earth domain, the bloodline powers of the earth elemental bloodline, and revelations of the oracle’s stone mystery. This ability does not give them early access to level-based powers; it only affects the powers they could use without this ability. This racial trait replaces stonecunning.

(emphasis mine)

Thanks!


For kicks:

Level 20
Con 34+8 (Kinetic Form: Huge Water Elemental)
Average HP
Toughness
FCB into HP

453 HP, burn cap is 19 with 73 HP remaining, cap in terms of expendable HP would be 22 with 13 HP remaining.

That's insanely impractical because you can't hit the broad side of the barn between Huge and the Dex penalties, but it does amuse me. More practically, 373 HP with an Air Elemental form and a Burn cap of 15.

I don't think I've seen anybody argue for raising the Burn-per-day limit though? Pretty much the only arguments I've seen about Burn have been "find a way to make it hurt less".

Which is fair. I hope we either get a more generic reduction, some sort of (limited, mind) Burn pool, or just less damage off of Burn. Or some combination of the above.


There are two conclusions I have reached so far via this class and this thread (beside liking it):
1) The class could use 4+Int skill points, and a boost on to-hit with blast - though how is uncertain.
2) When people get upset that the burn mechanic exists, I feel like a good portion of them don't actually like the class as a concept, and instead are looking for something they can crack open like an egg - because burn presents a good means to prevent that. Is burn a good thing? No, and it's not supposed to be - but it is an interesting and unique way to handle something like this. Unique is good. If the burn mechanic makes you hate this class, then clearly this class isn't for you. There are plenty of other options that can be bent to whatever GM-twitch-inducing purpose you want. =P

This is just my opinion based interpretation. I just hope people can be reasonable, and let the limitation exist. It must.
I don't need another class getting banned from games, PFS or otherwise (I'm looking at Summoner - particularly Synthesist).

Grand Lodge

CanisDirus wrote:

1 - Can Metamagic feats affect blasts/talents? (Force Blast + Toppling Spell would be a nice combo)

They cannot. Metamagic feats explicitly cannot be used with SLAs.

Rageling wrote:
2) When people get upset that the burn mechanic exists, I feel like a good portion of them don't actually like the class as a concept, and instead are looking for something they can crack open like an egg - because burn presents a good means to prevent that. Is burn a good thing? No, and it's not supposed to be - but it is an interesting and unique way to handle something like this. Unique is good. If the burn mechanic makes you hate this class, then clearly this class isn't for you. There are plenty of other options that can be bent to whatever GM-twitch-inducing purpose you want. =P

First, unique isn't good. Unique is unique. They're two completely separate concepts. A class that can only activate its abilities at 2 in the morning before a full moon while wearing a dead pig as a hat would be unique, but it certainly wouldn't be good.

And to say that the only reason people dislike burn is because they want another broken class is stupid, especially when other opinions have been stated in this very thread.


I'm liking the flagellant feat, actually... as a solution it works well to harshly penalize the burned out, but it doesn't guarantee you die if you burn up and still don't kill the current encounter. Rarely do unconscious party members get dragged out of a TPK scenario, so the option to at least hobble away is far better. I was seeing it from the point of actually taking the feat, which I don't have feat slots for and couldn't bother with the worship prerequisite even if I did, but as a class feature I'd be okay with it.

For that matter, I'm sure I'd not be the first to smile big seeing flagellant as a class feature and die hard as a talent (to save the endurance feat tax) or endurance as a bonus feat for that same reason.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Honestly, I don't really have any problem with the Burn thing. The thing people are missing is you're not supposed to take any burn, beyond your Feel the Burn cap, at least. The class is set up, I believe, assuming the following:

1) You will have form/substance specializations that, when combined with the move action Burn reduction, will cover any attack you make other than Composite Blasts (at least until the endgame when all you're using are Composite Blasts with Move actions and Composite Specialization).

2) You will start the day accepting Burn equal to your level's Feel the Burn cap by buffing your special defense and/or Kinetic Form

3) The non-attack abilities that cost Burn are not intended to be used much, if at all. Slick is supposed to be a "you can do this all day, but it eats your actions" Grease. The option to extend it is basically a trap. Same with Water Manipulator, Spark of Life, etc.. Flame Shield, Jagged Flesh, Shimmering Mirage, etc. meanwhile, are intended to be treated like the all-day defense buffs for Feel the Burn.

4) Feel the Burn is a roundabout way to grant a portion of Constitution to hit/damage and defense buffs without making Kineticists especially tougher than other d8 classes. I bet that if you compare HP for typical d8 Classes and the effective HP of Kineticists spending excatly their Feel the BUrn level of Burn each morning across various levels, you'll find they end up with similar numbers.

5) Kinetic Healer is special--it's a resource extender. You can really make your party last longer, and make sure everyone is fully healed for the next day, as long as your blast averages more damage than your party's level (which it always should unless you're multi-classing).

Again, everything is very cleverly set up so that you are only taking Burn at the beginning of the day or during the ultimate, obvious "Boss Fight" when you whip out your Composite and/or Metakinetic Blasts (other than Empowered, which you are basically always using).


3 people marked this as a favorite.

You see clever, I see unnecessary.

If you're not supposed to take Burn, it shouldn't be a mechanic.

On 1: Which is a bad option, because the damage does not keep up to any par without Burn.

On 2: If the intent is for the class to HAVE to utilize Feel the Burn to be effective, you may as well just add a clause saying "The Kineticist reduces his HP per day by his character level (increasing to 2x and 3x at X and Y levels" because that's what it amounts to. Cut out the middle man.

On 3: If you can use the words "trap" in reference to an option provided, it is an option that is not needed.

On 4: If the intent was that, then having Con be their "caster stat" was a bonehead move in the first place. Having a class favor a stat and then building in a mechanic intended to make that stat less desirable is poor design. It is the equivalent of imparting a Will save penalty on all Wisdom based classes, or a penalty to Iniative for characters with high Dex to "not make them especially better than other classes at a thing".

Though, you are correct on that:

By level 10, most d8 classes will have 8+5*9+3*9 (16 Con) HP, not factoring in FCBs and Feats. That's 80 HP.

A Kineticist of the same level will substitute in a Con modifier of around 6. So, 110 HP. -30 for Feel the Burn's cap of 3, and 80 HP.

Which is ridiculous. A class with double the investment in Constitution should NOT have the same amount of HP as the baseline class. Again, Monks don't gain a scaling Will save penalty for every point of Ki they spend to put them on par with a Fighter. The Kineticist should not receive a scaling HP penalty to put them on par with a Bard.


mplindustries wrote:
Honestly, I don't really have any problem with the Burn thing. The thing people are missing is you're not supposed to take any burn, beyond your Feel the Burn cap, at least.

Just capping FTB eats away at your hit die badly. You effectively have an unprecedented d2 hit die at level 9, and it keeps dropping. If FTB was replaced with a static bonus there'd be less issue.


Rageling wrote:

There are two conclusions I have reached so far via this class and this thread (beside liking it):

1) The class could use 4+Int skill points, and a boost on to-hit with blast - though how is uncertain.
2) When people get upset that the burn mechanic exists, I feel like a good portion of them don't actually like the class as a concept, and instead are looking for something they can crack open like an egg - because burn presents a good means to prevent that. Is burn a good thing? No, and it's not supposed to be - but it is an interesting and unique way to handle something like this. Unique is good. If the burn mechanic makes you hate this class, then clearly this class isn't for you. There are plenty of other options that can be bent to whatever GM-twitch-inducing purpose you want. =P

This is just my opinion based interpretation. I just hope people can be reasonable, and let the limitation exist. It must.
I don't need another class getting banned from games, PFS or otherwise (I'm looking at Summoner - particularly Synthesist).

#1 is truth.

#2... not really. I love the concept of Burn, it's themeatic and interesting so long as there are sufficient class abilities to counteract it for the class to maintain its steam.

I want Burn to stay, but I do want it to be patched up. I've tossed around options, and my original thought was a feat that gave a limited Burn pool. I'm debating between wanting it as a feat or wanting it inbuilt to the class or just wanting Burn to deal half the damage it does now... but I do know that I want something.

mplindustries speaks a lot of truth in that the class seems to be intended to take no Burn beyond day's start and the nova attack, but that leaves a fair few options out in the cold-- Metakinesis is the big one. Which is now getting me to wonder about the option of instead having the move action to gather Burn scale with level instead. At the level you get Maximize it jumps to +2, Quicken +3, Double +4.

... That might even solve the Ranged/Melee disparity at the same time. Something to ponder.


But, other classes don't get a +6 to hit, +6 to damage, and +6 shield. Or 16 DR. Or 75% miss chance vs ranged weapons, a very attractive option on a class with inherent range. Yes, you drop down to normal class health levels when you max FtB, but you basically treat that investment in Con as now being a massive +6 hit / +12 dmg (remember, con adds once for con and once for the FtB) and a major defense ability for the health you have left. So instead of Barbarian level health, you have rogue health with potentially way better ways to keep said health.

Of all the things that can be said of burn and of the damage and accuracy of this class... FtB is worth every point I sink into it, if I get a lasting benefit out of the burn as well.


Non-lethal damage from Burn should be limited to the equivalent spell level of the infusion that grants the burn.

I also think that the equivalent spell level of the blast should default to the spell level of the base blast, or that of the Infusion that modifies it, whichever is higher.

So, come 10th level, your base blast is treated as a 5th level spell, so if you use a Burning Infusion, it's still treated as a 5th level spell, not a 1st level spell.

==============================

Maybe, perhaps, the infusions should act as spell level increases? Kind of like metamagic, only there is no limit on how high a level you can increase your blast.

So, at 16th level, you can use Explosion + Burning Infusion to modify your Blasts effective spell level by +10, giving you an 18th level spell. Each point of burn on such a spell deals 18 points of damage.

This means that, sometimes you will take more damage than your level than the current burn system, but, at the same time, you can also take less damage too.

Kind of just random ideas popping into my head here, sorry if it's a little confusing.


Shiroi wrote:

But, other classes don't get a +6 to hit, +6 to damage, and +6 shield. Or 16 DR. Or 75% miss chance vs ranged weapons, a very attractive option on a class with inherent range. Yes, you drop down to normal class health levels when you max FtB, but you basically treat that investment in Con as now being a massive +6 hit / +12 dmg (remember, con adds once for con and once for the FtB) and a major defense ability for the health you have left. So instead of Barbarian level health, you have rogue health with potentially way better ways to keep said health.

Of all the things that can be said of burn and of the damage and accuracy of this class... FtB is worth every point I sink into it, if I get a lasting benefit out of the burn as well.

There are a few classes which can get many of those things...and at the same time as well.

Al of the 3/4 BaB classes get nifty stuff. Many get Medium armor and Shield proficiency (armor advantage: Gone).

Many get proficiency with the Longbow (damage advantage: gone).

Many also get ways to raise their attack/damage significantly (damage advantage: left in teh dust and laughed at by its peers).

The DR is a trap as well, honestly.

To get 16 DR you need to (besides being level 20) eat 5 points of Burn. That's not counting any other Burn you need to spend that day.

16 damage off each hit is nice, but when the Inquisitor can cast Stoneskin by level 10 (when you're sitting at DR 5/Adamantine and need 5 Burn to even GET THERE), it's wimpy.

The class compares unfavorably to the Inquisitor in a lot of ways, actually.

I'll take a longbow Full Attack over a single hit at like 5d6+5 any day of the week. Throw in Stoneskin (Earth's DR Adamantine), Bane (Feel the Burn+), Judgement (now you're just sad), and spells (emulating many if not all of the other Element loked abilities) and the Kineticist doesn't come out looking so hot.

Certainly not hot enough to need Burn to negate its one advantage over that class (HP).


Rynjin wrote:

You see clever, I see unnecessary.

If you're not supposed to take Burn, it shouldn't be a mechanic.

On 1: Which is a bad option, because the damage does not keep up to any par without Burn.

On 2: If the intent is for the class to HAVE to utilize Feel the Burn to be effective, you may as well just add a clause saying "The Kineticist reduces his HP per day by his character level (increasing to 2x and 3x at X and Y levels" because that's what it amounts to. Cut out the middle man.

On 3: If you can use the words "trap" in reference to an option provided, it is an option that is not needed.

I agree with you in theory, but in practice, including bad choices is a core aspect of 3rd edition's design. Every class has options that are terrible. Most feats are terrible. It's designed that way on purpose. Played optimally, you only take burn in the morning for your day long buffs and for composite blasts in boss fights. But people are given the option to play less optimally--you don't see Fighters being forced to take Iron Will, Rogues barred from dual wielding, or Magi being restricted to using only whips, prehensile hair, and 18-20/x2 crit weapons.

Rynjin wrote:

On 4: If the intent was that, then having Con be their "caster stat" was a bonehead move in the first place. Having a class favor a stat and then building in a mechanic intended to make that stat less desirable is poor design. It is the equivalent of imparting a Will save penalty on all Wisdom based classes, or a penalty to Iniative for characters with high Dex to "not make them especially better than other classes at a thing".

Though, you are correct on that:

By level 10, most d8 classes will have 8+5*9+3*9 (16 Con) HP, not factoring in FCBs and Feats. That's 80 HP.

A Kineticist of the same level will substitute in a Con modifier of around 6. So, 110 HP. -30 for Feel the Burn's cap of 3, and 80 HP.

Which is ridiculous. A class with double the investment in Constitution should NOT have the same amount of HP as the baseline class. Again, Monks don't gain a scaling Will save penalty for every point of Ki they spend to put them on par with a Fighter. The Kineticist should not receive a scaling HP penalty to put them on par with a Bard.

Well, you can sort of look at it differently--you're kind of trading the HP you get from Constitution and putting it, instead, into transformations, AC, DR, a damage shield, THP buffers, etc.

While I agree that Kineticists are pretty gimpy offensively without Kinetic Whip + Vital Strike + Power Attack + Furious Focus + Move Action to Empower or some melee combo like that, they have ridiculous survivability--they get defensive buffs combined with the ability to skip buying a weapon entirely, allowing them to pour that much more cash into protective magic items. Plus, when they drop, they are just unconscious, not at risk to die.


I see what you're saying there, but feel you could instead say "all attacks use an amount of burn equal to the total effective spell level of the attack. Your simple blast is free. Each infusion, meta, and Composite adds an amount of burn. So you can now add Composite +2. Snaking +2. Pure flame +4. Maximized +2. You are using a 10 burn blast, take 10 points of Burn. Not 10 points of burn per hd. Just 10 points of burn. (Or even double the burn to deal 20, depending on how you balance it)

So at this point, your blast is free, and strong enough to get you through an encounter as a passable damage dealer, ranged or physical. But if you want to do more, be exceptional, you spend HP.

You could then spend a move action to gather, and reduce the burn by your spell level. In this case, 5. So now because you spent the move, the above example costs 5 burned HP. (Or 10 if that balance is better, and I think it is.)

Yes, I know you don't have Pure Flame yet, examples.


mplindustries wrote:
I agree with you in theory, but in practice, including bad choices is a core aspect of 3rd edition's design. Every class has options that are terrible. Most feats are terrible. It's designed that way on purpose.

Core aspects can still be poorly designed, and I would hope designers would try to do better moving forward.

mplindustries wrote:
Played optimally, you only take burn in the morning for your day long buffs and for composite blasts in boss fights. But people are given the option to play less optimally--you don't see Fighters being forced to take Iron Will, Rogues barred from dual wielding, or Magi being restricted to using only whips, prehensile hair, and 18-20/x2 crit weapons.

Played optimally, if you wanted to fill the same party role as a Kineticist, you would pick...basically any other class in the game. That's a problem. There's still time to fix it.

mplindustries wrote:

Well, you can sort of look at it differently--you're kind of trading the HP you get from Constitution and putting it, instead, into transformations, AC, DR, a damage shield, THP buffers, etc.

While I agree that Kineticists are pretty gimpy offensively without Kinetic Whip + Vital Strike + Power Attack + Furious Focus + Move Action to Empower or some melee combo like that, they have ridiculous survivability--they get defensive buffs combined with the ability to skip buying a weapon entirely, allowing them to pour that much more cash into protective magic items.

Which would be a good trade-off if other classes didn't already get all of those things and more. But they do.

mplindustries wrote:
Plus, when they drop, they are just unconscious, not at risk to die.

I would consider "One full round away from instant death" at risk to die, myself.


The spell level increases could get too wonky, especially when it comes to save DCs. Good luck making a save against that 18th level spell.

I do kind of like the idea of non-lethal damage = spell level, but it might turn into a case of overcomplexity. If you have one Infusion giving you one Burn and 4 damage while another gives one Burn and 8 damage, would you still track the Burn separately and say you have two Burn?

Just seems like it could get more complex than it's worth. Basing it off level (in some way, half level, third level, twice level, whatever) solves a problem of Burn staying relevant and being easy to track.

Or I might be thinking too much into things.


No, no. I was suggesting making burn = 1 (or maybe 2) damage. Period. Not 1 burn per hd. At low levels your using small amounts of burn for small effects. At high levels, bigger burn for bigger effect. It scales itself, it doesn't also have to go off number of hit dice. So when I was saying you take x burn and x damage, I was being literal. These are the same (or a multiple thereof) number.

As for his 18th level spells, saves would be based off the blast level, before mods, if you used that system.


I pretty much like Feel the Burn. I just wish you could activate it without chunking out your hp. but. I think that's fairly because I like being able to "burst" blast more than once a day effectively. One reason I sorta like the semi free burn concepts. but that is mostly so I can use the shield or kinetic form (especially if they alter it so you don't transform into an elemental and just get a buff) in the morning to get FTB. Then have a few extra free points to heal with kinetic heal. I don't mind burning my hp or con to "mega blast" but it would be nice if I could use heal without taking almost an equal amount of HP off.
(Since it heals class level but burns for character level)

I guess I still am a supporter of limited amount of burn yo ucan use, and from that point it burns in unhealable con damage (that heals when you sleep as per normal mechanic). with or without the daily limit of burn spent. since in this one the more you burn the more is many things are affected. but more usuable because limited free amount (either con mod or 3+con)

but i'm not terribly bothered by the current burn since I've almost always done it ranged..
but I can see it being problem if I was stuck in the 30ft range of a non increased range ones


6 people marked this as a favorite.

As-is there's really nothing the class has that justifies Burn as a balancing mechanic.

So Burn needs to either be chucked, or the class needs to get something that makes it a worthwhile trade-off, along with Burn being re-tooled to be more reasonable.


Shiroi wrote:

No, no. I was suggesting making burn = 1 (or maybe 2) damage. Period. Not 1 burn per hd. At low levels your using small amounts of burn for small effects. At high levels, bigger burn for bigger effect. It scales itself, it doesn't also have to go off number of hit dice. So when I was saying you take x burn and x damage, I was being literal. These are the same (or a multiple thereof) number.

As for his 18th level spells, saves would be based off the blast level, before mods, if you used that system.

I was responding to Tels' idea. Lots of people posting tonight, I should probably be making better use of the quotes button.

Honestly your idea goes way too far, and will ramp the Kineticist's damage off the high end when we know that's not going to happen.

Dark Archive

Does weapon finesse work with Kinetic Blade?


So long as you create it as a Light weapon, yes.


I almost wish it didnt' specify "melee attack" I would love to make blades and throw them. Just the visual reasons haha. but that is b asically the current normal blasts.


Reflavor Kinetic Whip as you throwing Electric Shuriken?

... Actually that sounds pretty awesome.

Scarab Sages

Zwordsman wrote:

If people can assume there is a magic item like that (even if we don't know the cost and just kinda guess around the above items costs) it might help people figure out how it looks with it..

A comparison has already been done. Everyone chose to ignore it.

Link.


Because Mark has nether confirmed or denied whether there will be an item like that yet.


kestral287 wrote:

I was responding to Tels' idea. Lots of people posting tonight, I should probably be making better use of the quotes button.

Honestly your idea goes way too far, and will ramp the Kineticist's damage off the high end when we know that's not going to happen.

With those specific numbers, perhaps. It's concept, a way to make burn dependant on specific things you add, regardless of your level.


Could someone like or quote where it was said that there would be no round 2 for the playtest? I have been looking, but without knowing who posted it or where I can't find it. I'm really hoping that's not the case...

Dark Archive

Dexion1619 wrote:
Could someone like or quote where it was said that there would be no round 2 for the playtest? I have been looking, but without knowing who posted it or where I can't find it. I'm really hoping that's not the case...

Mark said this


Just stepping in to say that getting to nearly 2,000 posts in under two weeks is kind of impressive. If you give me a couple days to catch up on the thread I'll throw in my input as well ;)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Someone made a comment earlier that essentially we've playtested all we could with the info we currently have.

Maybe at this point we need a new direction?

Maybe Marc can ask up to playtest some new Wild Talents?
Playtest some variables like: What if full BAB? What if Vital Strike? What if everything was a touch? What if iteratives? What if we had X item? What if we ignored SR? What if X?


Good idea Insain Dragoon.

and Marc, that Kaioken... make it happen! XD

To be serious.. Yes, make something like it happen. Using a move action to reduce burn by 1 sounds like it should have an upgrade for 1 full round action or more.


Took a while to read through 2000 posts, but here I am! Playtesting a level 4 Pyro, and while the dice have betrayed me so far; it's been fun!

It's nice to have a potentially solid blaster on the horizon. (Just make sure it can out DPR being a bow-Kineticist)

Finally, I just wanted to say: Thank you for creating this class.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The more I think about burn, the more I think it needs to be changed. Having a pool of burn before taping into hp would solve it in the best way IMO. Give the kineticist 1/2 lvl. + Con to spend / day, and keep the mechanics the same. Each point spent contributes to feel the burn, while keeping him effective and every time closer to the damaging threshold.
The idea of a kinetic rage mechanic also seems right. Think about it: Almost every kineticist reference in fiction has a rage mechanic:
-Jedi avoid tapping into rage, for it leads to the dark side, but when they do, they have a destructive rush of power. Sith do it on ragular basis.
-In Carrie, the peak of her power is her moment of greatest rage, when she's humiliated and laughed at. She just flip out.
-In avatar, benders reach the peak of their powers in moments of emotional breakthrough. Rage, extreme sadness, sudden comprehension, any intense emotion works.
-kineticists in DC/Marvel comix do the same, having their greatest powers in raging surges.
-Anime references do it as well.
Of course, there are other issues to consider, as the lack of physical combat support, skills, utility powers, viable defenses against spells and attacks, ways to deal with resistances/immunity, effective control of the element. However, I think fixing burn should be a priority, since it impacts on the survivability and effectiveness of the character.


I would love an ability or feat or something that lets you use your blast without provoking or having to make a concentration check. Not just for being a spell power but for being a ranged attack. Maybe giving you a melee/melee touch attack options at the start for no burn would be nice as well.

I said a while back about a psychic rage mechanic, I wouldn't mind if it is part of base class or done as an archetype.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Perhaps Burn will go the way of Rage Points?


CanisDirus wrote:


3 - Would racial alternative traits that affect elemental/ish bloodline powers/spells also apply to Wild Talents and Blasts? For example:
Advanced Race Guide wrote:


Some dwarves’ affinity for the earth grants them greater powers. Dwarves with this racial trait are treated as one level higher when casting spells with the earth descriptor or using granted powers of the Earth domain, the bloodline powers of the earth elemental bloodline, and revelations of the oracle’s stone mystery. This ability does not give them early access to level-based powers; it only affects the powers they could use without this ability. This racial trait replaces stonecunning.

I really want to run a Terra/Geo/etc, but touch attacks just seem like the better method at the moment. If I could give the abilities a shot in the arm with Stonesinger, it might be more worthwhile. I can definitely understand the long-term balance implications, but I wouldn't mind a clarification to help me decide what to do for the playtest =)

Also - is the SR against fire really that prevalent? If I went fire instead, would I run into a lot of SR issues before level 7 in PFS play where I wouldn't be of any use? I mean, I can diversify at 7 to a different element, but until then would I really be screwed as often as the cursory posts in this thread seem to suggest for Pyrokineticists?

Scarab Sages

Rynjin wrote:
Because Mark has nether confirmed or denied whether there will be an item like that yet.

Which does not invalidate a comparison to see what impact said hypothetical item would have.

People are looking for ways to increase the kineticist accuracy and damage . A numerical breakdown of various proposals is an important of finding a solution.


Kahb00m wrote:
I really want to run a Terra/Geo/etc, but touch attacks just seem like the better method at the moment.

While I expected the same to be true, in my own analysis (when I compared blasting to a kineticist archer and gunman), the numbers came out nearly identically, and in fact, the physical blasts come out ahead now that Mark confirmed weapon focus and improved critical can apply.

The issue with touch attacks is that they are practically auto hits. They do so much less damage, though, that their near perfect accuracy doesn't compensate. Touch attacks get a bad rap because of gunslingers, but they are scary because they get to cheat. They get their full attack stat to damage (which archers do not get, they use Strength for damage), and they can leverage their nearly automatic hits by trading accuracy for damage (deadly aim, for example, which explicitly breaks its own rules for firearms, and rapid shot, which most touch attacks don't qualify for).

Without those options, the damage is so much lower on the touch blasts that it just doesn't matter that they auto hit. At level 11, you're doing 1.5(6d6+6+Con) vs. 1.5(6d6+.5Con). With, say, +7 con, which I think is fair to assume by then, the physical blast has +10 damage (empowered makes that 15) on the energy blast, which is a lot to dpr. Plus, when low AC targets rear their heads, the physical blaster can use deadly aim for more oomph.

Honestly, I think fire is the weakest because they can only touch with weak damage and are always subject to energy and spell resistance (and energy resists tend to be much higher than dr), while Earth actually has the ability to overcome all material dr--they only suffer against alignment, x/- and epic dr.

So, yeah, though I think the kineticist's damage is not well balanced against other striker types, the two kinds of blasts available are remarkably well balanced against each other.


After last night's session, I think I can say I like this class. A: Good concept, fills needed niche, and has interesting, novel, and understandable mechanics

The kineticist ended up doing all the heavy lifting in the game last night and made an extremely effective glass cannon. The focus on a single element makes it a tad overspecialized, but given how extremely effective it is in its element ("in its element," get it? Thanks, I'll be here all week; don't forget to tip your server) that's good for overall balance and design.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I think the thing this class needs is access to options, a feat that grants them spells at a lower progression that matches their element. something like this:

Expanded Elemental Control
Your control over the elements allows you to imitate spell effects with your chosen element.

Prerequisites: Kineticist level 3+

Benefit: Choose 2 spells that share the same elemental subtype as your blast and whose level is no gretaer than your Kineticist level divided by 3(So a sixth level Kineticist could take up to second level spells and a 18th level Kineticist could take 6th level spells). Your caster level for these spells is your Kineticist level -3.

Special: You can take this feat multiple times, each time you take this feat it applies to a new set of spells effectively adding more spells to your list.


Can the blast spell equivalent level be reduced when casting a kinetic blast?
For instance can an 8th level aerokineticist still cast his electric blast (equivalent of 4th level) in a spellstoring +1 spiked gauntlet?


I could see using spells like that, especially for utility features the class lacks right now. I would personally make them the only 8 spell level casting class, you get 0 level spells at 2nd CL, 1st level spells at 4 CL... so at 18 you get 8th level spells. I see no reason to severely cap the powers of the class within its own element, even if they decide not to make full 9th level spells available.


Christopher Van Horn wrote:

I think the thing this class needs is access to options, a feat that grants them spells at a lower progression that matches their element. something like this:

Expanded Elemental Control
Your control over the elements allows you to imitate spell effects with your chosen element.

Prerequisites: Kineticist level 3+

Benefit: Choose 2 spells that share the same elemental subtype as your blast and whose level is no gretaer than your Kineticist level divided by 3(So a sixth level Kineticist could take up to second level spells and a 18th level Kineticist could take 6th level spells). Your caster level for these spells is your Kineticist level -3.

Special: You can take this feat multiple times, each time you take this feat it applies to a new set of spells effectively adding more spells to your list.

How many spells per day does he get? That could be extremely overpowered if you're getting 3rd level spells as (effectively) cantrips.


If this is implemented (selecting spells as talents), it would surely be limited. Probably costing non-reducible burn and with the restriction of not selecting direct damage spells.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Orfamay Quest wrote:
Christopher Van Horn wrote:

I think the thing this class needs is access to options, a feat that grants them spells at a lower progression that matches their element. something like this:

Expanded Elemental Control
Your control over the elements allows you to imitate spell effects with your chosen element.

Prerequisites: Kineticist level 3+

Benefit: Choose 2 spells that share the same elemental subtype as your blast and whose level is no gretaer than your Kineticist level divided by 3(So a sixth level Kineticist could take up to second level spells and a 18th level Kineticist could take 6th level spells). Your caster level for these spells is your Kineticist level -3.

Special: You can take this feat multiple times, each time you take this feat it applies to a new set of spells effectively adding more spells to your list.

How many spells per day does he get? That could be extremely overpowered if you're getting 3rd level spells as (effectively) cantrips.

I'm not sure it would be, he already has access to infinite blasts per day and this wouldn't allow him to swap out spells he would simply know them. At a certain point looking at it at will versus a sorcerer's 10/day with low level spells it doesn't make that much of a difference. Most of his things are at will anyways so I don't think it will be more effective as a major source of damage since blasts can be empowered/maximized and these spells will have no interaction with that.

They already get most of the spells at will so I don't think a reduced caster level and highly focused spells a few times per day is no better than an extra infusion or talent from a feat. In fact since you can still make talents for other spells of higher level this just allows for utilities that they don't get that way. The real point is to design a feat for versatility to open up page count for more new unique things instead of a bunch of talents that just copy utility spells.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Heladriell wrote:
If this is implemented (selecting spells as talents), it would surely be limited. Probably costing non-reducible burn and with the restriction of not selecting direct damage spells.

The burn thing I could see, but It doesn't need to be too restrictive, they are already limited by having to select them as a feat and having a reduced caster level, and since they aren't talents or blasts they wouldn't be able to use their other mods on them. I could see 1 burn but allowing it to be reduced by the move action reduction as an extra balance but damage should always be more efficient from the blast with the metas than any spell they would get (hopefully, but then again if a low level spell is that effective it's even better for the other casters who could get it.)


Does anyone know if we will get a second version of the class for the playtest like most of the other playtest have had?

1,901 to 1,950 of 4,774 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Occult Adventures Playtest / Rules Discussion / General Discussion: Kineticist All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.