what class will work best in this party?


Advice


I'll be starting a campaign soon with a Skald, Hunter, and a divine NPC played by the GM. What class would work best with this combo?
Originally I was going to make a wizard but I want to take what will work best with this party.


Wizard sounds like a winner to me. I'd suggest conjurer, get some extra bodies out there, control the battlefield, maybe teleportation subschool for swift action shift teleport movement. I think that's probably the most useful fit in this party, but since it's so small nearly anything could work, but you wanted to be a wizard, this party can use arcane support. I say go for it.


Mr. Pitt is right you can't go wrong with a well-designed Wizard and you wanted to play one anyhow.


I'd actually suggest magus, because they also don't really have any straight up fighting classes, so there might want to be anyone to charge into the battle so that the rest of you can stay back and support.


I was wondering if we might need a tank/DPs. The ability score generation is up there, so I could even make a MAD type class work if needed.

@ Mr. Pitt: I my original plan was a divination wizard, with conjuration feats. The teleportation school is great but I really like winning initiative.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Summoner with a front line eidolon might be nice here.


Nu'Raahl wrote:

I was wondering if we might need a tank/DPs. The ability score generation is up there, so I could even make a MAD type class work if needed.

@ Mr. Pitt: I my original plan was a divination wizard, with conjuration feats. The teleportation school is great but I really like winning initiative.

A wizard with a focus on summons would be fantastic, especially with the skald. Inspired rage gives nice bonuses and your summons would greatly benefit from it while the drawbacks (-AC, skill limits) won't affect your summons much.


a full arcane caster of some kind. and I do agree that some summoning would do VERY well. where I digress from the others above is that I would rather go sorcerer, abyssal most likely. MY reasoning is that a sorcerer has a nice advantage in being able to mass very large amounts of strength and thus be a very good back up melee combatant when needed whereas most other arcane casters should not pursue this.

Secondly, an abyssal bloodline sorcerer can field more summons with less effort than almost any non master summoner can. taking augmented summoning as one of your free feats, superior summons, and getting to your 15th level power allows for a possible 7 demons in one spell use (YIKES!!!). This can be achieved even sooner with the robe of arcane heritage at level 11 while simultaneously aiding your strength gain.

there are other reasons but these are my main points so ill leave em at that. good luck


If you want to play a conjuror, please for the love of the other players, please print out monster stat sheets before summoning!

One of the players at my tables tried to play a summoner a couple months ago. Literally every one of his turns took over 15 minutes, not to mention his summons outshined half the party. He was never prepared, always having to scour the bestiary for the best thing to summon each turn, always loosing his page on the bestiary...

The GM made it his mission to kill the summoner, so the summoner died. Then the GM banned anyone else from summoning anything at his table.


I would suggest a Bloodrager. Unlike the wizard it will be able to use the Skalds rage song more effectively. Also whit a blood rager you can fill a tank roll.


Depends. Are the hunter and the NPC front line material? If not the skald could look rather useless without someone (except the animal companion) to give rage to.
Play a slayer or cavalier or some other melee without own rage. That way you benefit most from the skald.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

For a small party light on melee, I'd go with a Synthesist summoner. You can tank with the best of them, and while merged with your eidolon, you won't be summoning extra monsters to suck up other people's playing time. Plus, when the monsters actually work through your eidolon's temporary hit points and hurt you, you get to look shocked and say "You made me bleed my own blood!"


Umbranus wrote:

Depends. Are the hunter and the NPC front line material? If not the skald could look rather useless without someone (except the animal companion) to give rage to.

Play a slayer or cavalier or some other melee without own rage. That way you benefit most from the skald.

Actually a Barbarian or Bloodrager would benefit greatly from rage song. They use their own rage stats (+4Str, +4Con, -2AC, +2Will) instead of the rage song stats (+2Str, +2Con, -1AC, +1Will)and the rounds from rage song don't count against a Barbarians or Bloodragers rage rounds per day. Now they can't use their rage powers, but they can jsut enter their own rage in order to do that.

Sovereign Court

Sarrah wrote:
The GM made it his mission to kill the summoner, so the summoner died. Then the GM banned anyone else from summoning anything at his table.

That seems like overkill. I've just always ruled that if they don't have the stats at their fingers, then their character doesn't know the creature well enough to summon them and the spell fails.

There's really only 1-2 monsters which are generally the best for each spell level anyway.


Christopher Dudley wrote:
For a small party light on melee, I'd go with a Synthesist summoner.

A synth is never a good suggestion. In fact a summoner never is. Two games with summoners, both broke the game.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Gingerbreadman wrote:
Christopher Dudley wrote:
For a small party light on melee, I'd go with a Synthesist summoner.
A synth is never a good suggestion. In fact a summoner never is. Two games with summoners, both broke the game.

OK


Thank you all for the advice. I've decided to stick with the wizard.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / what class will work best in this party? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.