Why Do You Want to Play a Catfolk?


Product Discussion

1 to 50 of 144 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Link to Image
I'd like to hear your thoughts. If you want to play a catfolk, why do you want to play one?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

*starts singing*

Do you want to play a catfolk?
Maybe chase a bugbear through the woods?

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

3 people marked this as a favorite.

*snorts a laugh*

keeps the song going
No one ever sees me when I hide,
Its like they died
In a most peculiar way.


22 people marked this as a favorite.

Because a Catfolk Swashbuckler could be called Puss in Boots and be totally 100% awesome.

The Exchange

3 people marked this as a favorite.

3 words-
Elder Scrolls Khajiit.

I never cared much before playing that series, never got into the almost disturbing "furry", manga, toony bull**** that seems to surround people that tend to like catfolk but after playing a Khajiit as a stealthy assassin and enjoying the role, and seeing how seriously the Elder Scrolls took them, I now like them. And I even stopped naming them things like "Mittens" and "Snowball".....lol


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
*snorts a laugh*

I want to claim sleep deprivation as a mitigating circumstance.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:
Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
*snorts a laugh*
I want to claim sleep deprivation as a mitigating circumstance.

You gave voice to a similar thought I had. :)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

They don't interest me much, but here are a few possible reasons:

  • Because they're exotic.
  • For an excuse to make "purr" and "meow" based speech jokes.
  • Liked playing Khajit in Skyrim.
  • Think of cats as graceful and agile, wants character to be likewise.
  • Think they look cool.


  • 9 people marked this as a favorite.

    Play a catfolk, express yourself only with cat gifs.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    I like the idea of playing as Ajani Goldmane from the MTG Universe of Lion-O from Thundercats.

    Scarab Sages

    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Umbral Reaver wrote:
    Play a catfolk, express yourself only with cat gifs.

    Thank you sooooo much for that image of a catfolk dropping a half eaten orc on someone they like.


    8 people marked this as a favorite.

    Because I haven't gotten sick of them like I have of the core races. Also, I really enjoy the Thundercats, both the cheesy original and much superior remake versions.

    Umbral Reaver wrote:
    Play a catfolk, express yourself only with cat gifs.

    LOLCat memes, like a feline version of Tamarian?


    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
    Because I haven't gotten sick of them like I have of the core races.

    I second this one, though it goes into a more general 'why do you not play a core race' rather than specifically to the Catfolk.

    And, frankly, I'm a furry. I like to play furry races, I just find them cooler than other things.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    Because I randomly got a Catfolk mini in one of my Shattered Star miniatures boosters, and it would be a shame not to use it?


    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

    I am ashamed because now for some reason I want to play a catfolk who talks like the i can has cheezeburger cat...

    Silver Crusade

    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

    Because I haven't gotten sick of them like I have of the core races. Also, I really enjoy the Thundercats, both the cheesy original and much superior remake versions.

    Umbral Reaver wrote:
    Play a catfolk, express yourself only with cat gifs.
    LOLCat memes, like a feline version of Tamarian?

    How about a Grumpy Cat-folk?

    Shadow Lodge

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Zhayne wrote:
    Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
    Because I haven't gotten sick of them like I have of the core races.
    I second this one, though it goes into a more general 'why do you not play a core race' rather than specifically to the Catfolk.

    Thirded.


    7 people marked this as a favorite.

    FOR THE GLORY OF THE CTARL CTARL EMPIRE!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    I think my wife decided to play a catfolk recently because we just got a cat.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

    Because I haven't gotten sick of them like I have of the core races. Also, I really enjoy the Thundercats, both the cheesy original and much superior remake versions.

    Umbral Reaver wrote:
    Play a catfolk, express yourself only with cat gifs.
    LOLCat memes, like a feline version of Tamarian?

    What about Caitians?

    As to the OP: My wife was playing a catfolk bard because she simply loves cats. You can imagine what the singing sounded like.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    All this mention of Catfolk Bards and not ONE Josie & The Pussycats reference...


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    So I can say, "Nyaa~ Oniichan says you're a meanie!" And then backstab people.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    For me, it comes from the Khajiit in the Elder Scrolls series. And it's just fun to be something different. (It's also why I like kitsune.)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    Fake Healer wrote:

    3 words-

    Elder Scrolls Khajiit.

    I never cared much before playing that series, never got into the almost disturbing "furry", manga, toony bull**** that seems to surround people that tend to like catfolk

    100% THIS.

    Khajiit-style? Yes! Other (but I'm so cute!) - No thanks


    6 people marked this as a favorite.

    Perverse sexual lust.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    I prefer Carolina Eade's catfolk to the more anthropomorphic examples, because it makes for a nice elf-replacement without also taking on the inventors-of-magic-and-all-around-superior tag. If I had to use a more feline look, I'd go with D&D miniatures book artwork for a more "Khajiit" feel.

    As for why I'd choose catfolk regardless of aesthetics? The whole bestial-but-not-furry nomadic hunter aspect. On the other hand, if it's an urban campaign, I go for the curious, absent-minded athlete-turned-thief.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    RJGrady wrote:
    Perverse sexual lust.

    Made me think of Tigra from Marvel Comics.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    current thread barometer reading-
    ...because of jokes and/or sex


    7 people marked this as a favorite.

    The most logical answer would be to control the ratfolk population.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats


    Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
    Umbral Reaver wrote:
    Play a catfolk, express yourself only with cat gifs.
    LOLCat memes, like a feline version of Tamarian?

    Now that I think about this a bit more, this could work for a subrace of psionic/"psi-touched" catfolk that "spoke" in floating illusionary rebuses, like the dabus did in 2ed Planescape.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Actually, I don't really want to play a Dogfolk. One reason dogs are greater than cats: their owners aren't weird and don't want to BE them. They just want to be with them, because they're awesome companions.

    I'll say it again, and I don't care how bad it derails, or how many arguments it causes: Dogs > Cats

    EDIT: Great idea - catfolk druid or ranger or whatnot with a dog companion?


    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats

    Hound Archon? Then you're a dog-folk with cool celestial abilities.

    President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

    thegreenteagamer wrote:
    EDIT: Great idea - catfolk druid or ranger or whatnot with a dog companion?

    *chuckle* that's actually pretty funny.


    Randarak wrote:
    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats

    Hound Archon? Then you're a dog-folk with cool celestial abilities.

    Possible in some games, and a great point-out, but unfortunately not available from level 1 without house rules or conversions.

    But, then, as I said in my second post, I don't -really- want to play a dog person, as like most people who are fans of dogs, I'm not obsessed with them like fans of cats tend to be obsessed with cats.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats

    If you want to play a dogfolk in a game that allows non-Paizo races, you can always grab Clan of the Dog in the Paizo store.

    Also, you'll be pleased to know that my current sales data support your assertion that dogs > cats. It's close, but as of this post, Clan of the Dog is outselling its feline counterpart, Clan of the Cat.

    The Exchange

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    thegreenteagamer wrote:


    But, then, as I said in my second post, I don't -really- want to play a dog person, as like most people who are fans of dogs, I'm not obsessed with them like fans of cats tend to be obsessed with cats.

    But you could be a gambling addicted dogman who sits around playing poker....and has an uncontrollable urge to hump the leg of every giant humanoid he sees....yeah, nevermind....best to let sleeping dogs lie.

    The Exchange

    Epic Meepo wrote:
    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats

    If you want to play a dogfolk in a game that allows non-Paizo races, you can always grab Clan of the Dog in the Paizo store.

    Also, you'll be pleased to know that my current sales data support your assertion that dogs > cats. It's close, but as of this post, Clan of the Dog is outselling its feline counterpart, Clan of the Cat.

    I'm holding out for Clan of the Hedgehog....or Koala....or Raccoon...


    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    Actually, I don't really want to play a Dogfolk. One reason dogs are greater than cats: their owners aren't weird and don't want to BE them. They just want to be with them, because they're awesome companions.

    I'll say it again, and I don't care how bad it derails, or how many arguments it causes: Dogs > Cats.

    I prefer ratfolk. :)

    Shadow Lodge

    thegreenteagamer wrote:
    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Lupin from Dragon Compendium Vol. 1 in 3.5. Funny enough, despite the name, they're described as more doglike than wolflike. Bonus, they're basically humanoid wolfhounds - they get bonuses against Werewolves.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Thunder . . . Thunder THUNDERCATS HOOOOOO!

    That is pretty much it.


    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats

    May I point you at Eric Morton's Animal Races supplements? Clan of the Dog was the first or second. Two bucks well spent.


    Fake Healer wrote:
    Epic Meepo wrote:
    thegreenteagamer wrote:

    I don't. I want to play a Dogfolk, but they don't exist.

    Not a wolf person/werewolf. Not a hyena person/gnoll. A dogfolk.

    Dogs > Cats

    If you want to play a dogfolk in a game that allows non-Paizo races, you can always grab Clan of the Dog in the Paizo store.

    Also, you'll be pleased to know that my current sales data support your assertion that dogs > cats. It's close, but as of this post, Clan of the Dog is outselling its feline counterpart, Clan of the Cat.

    I'm holding out for Clan of the Hedgehog....or Koala....or Raccoon...

    Clan of the Raccoon is out. :) so far, there's cat, dog, turtle, raccoon, and pig, with Bat coming later this month, according to Mr. Morton.


    Fake Healer wrote:
    I'm holding out for Clan of the Hedgehog....or Koala....or Raccoon...

    He's got your Raccoons covered right here.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Because some jerk stole my sweet roll.

    Shadow Lodge

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Because thundercats ho!!!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    chbgraphicarts wrote:
    All this mention of Catfolk Bards and not ONE Josie & The Pussycats reference...

    Enh. I've got no time for purrs and pats.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Because they are one of my favorite playable races.

    Because Thundercats is awesome!!!

    Because I love catgirls especially from anime.

    Because of other stuff like Swat Kats, Marvel's Tigra, Puss N' Boots, etc.

    Because meow, meow, meow, meow, meow;)


    Necromancer wrote:

    I prefer Carolina Eade's catfolk to the more anthropomorphic examples, because it makes for a nice elf-replacement without also taking on the inventors-of-magic-and-all-around-superior tag. If I had to use a more feline look, I'd go with D&D miniatures book artwork for a more "Khajiit" feel.

    As for why I'd choose catfolk regardless of aesthetics? The whole bestial-but-not-furry nomadic hunter aspect. On the other hand, if it's an urban campaign, I go for the curious, absent-minded athlete-turned-thief.

    Why can I not favorite this OVER 9000 times?

    Also I like both for different situations as detailed out, but favor the Carolina Eades approach purely on a Thundercats/Breath of Fire level. The ARG version is nicely Khajiit though.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    I don't.

    Once you set the animal-people precedent then you have to start allowing squirrel-people, and giraffe-people, and aardvark-people, etc. While magic can be used to take on such forms they just don't exist as species in my world.

    1 to 50 of 144 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / Why Do You Want to Play a Catfolk? All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.