Why Do You Want to Play a Catfolk?


Product Discussion

101 to 144 of 144 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

*snirk*


It's not that I don't like the idea of catfolk. It's oddly enough similar to some complaints people have made about elves, dwarves, and humans in this thread.

Most animal races, across the board, kind of bore me.

I've been around a lot of internet, a lot of webcomics, a lot of settings, and for far too many of them, being anthropomorphic tells me nothing that's really interesting about the character. Settings that feature animal races are typically either tribal caricatures of their respective animal tropes, or indistinguishable from humans apart from this across-the-board expression of being repressed and hated by everyone else. By comparison, elves and dwarves, even at their blandest, usually have some sense of culture and attitude that informs me about their characters, even if it's simply how a specific elf or dwarf doesn't fit within the expectations of their society.

This isn't to say that anthromorphs can't appeal to me--there are several webcomics, video games franchises, and other settings that have sold me on cool races with heavy animal features. But Paizo hasn't really gotten there just yet with the catfolk for me. There is a good start in the ARG, but I'd really like to see more features with them before I can really invest in them as a race I would choose specifically to be that race. Stuff that isn't explicitly "Catfolk behave this way because kids TV told us this is what cats do."

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Marco Polaris wrote:
But Paizo hasn't really gotten there just yet with the catfolk for me.

So you should try out ours once we get that far.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I have replaced gnomes with small catfolk in my homebrew world, as the race of adorable nutcases.

Cats are weird! :3


1 person marked this as a favorite.

And indeed I might!

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alzrius wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:

Cats and hyenas are more closely related to each other than either are too dogs, but it still really isn't accurate to refer to them as cats

With similar logic, if you are going to call hyenas cats, than you should also be referring to walruses, seals, bears, and skunks as dogs, since all of those are in Caniformia.

...and trying to cross-breed them is what's known as Canifornication.

Ba dum tish!


christos gurd wrote:
RJGrady wrote:
It's a stretch to call them cats, unless you want to call a mongoose a cat.
seeing as civets are pretty much the halfway point between mongoose and cat, i find i can make that stretch.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi would make a pretty awesome PC, especially in something like the Serpent's Skull AP.

But whenever the party visits the town of civitsfolk, they now know to never drink the coffee.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Zhayne wrote:
Arikiel wrote:

I don't.

Once you set the animal-people precedent then you have to start allowing squirrel-people, and giraffe-people, and aardvark-people, etc. While magic can be used to take on such forms they just don't exist as species in my world.

Your logical fallacy is: Slippery Slope.

This article will explain why mentioning a Logical fallacy is not a rebuttal to a argument.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-common-argument-tactics-that-need-to-die/

"Look at it this way: saying "you made a logical fallacy" by itself doesn't hurt their argument, and it doesn't strengthen yours. All you did is change the topic of the conversation so that now you're having a meta-argument about how arguments should be made -- a topic far more robust and intimidating than even the mightiest dick. Also, there's a big difference in saying, "There's a flaw in your argument, and it's relevant for this reason," and, "You are making a stupid error, and here are some Latin words to make you feel stupider."


Sorry, but Cracked's argument is essentially "well, aren't you so smart, throwing dem logicky terms around!". It's neither convincing nor warranted. Saying "and it's relevant for this reason" is often redundant, but even when someone goes out of their way to explicitly point out why the fallacy in question damages their argument, it doesn't make them look any less like a "dick" to determined supporters of the fallacious argument.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Could we take the slippery slope discussion elsewhere, maybe? Please?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
Could we take the slippery slope discussion elsewhere, maybe? Please?

Yeah, there's no place for a slippery slope discussion in a catfolk thread.

<Goes to look for the otterfolk discussion>


thejeff wrote:
Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
Could we take the slippery slope discussion elsewhere, maybe? Please?

Yeah, there's no place for a slippery slope discussion in a catfolk thread.

<Goes to look for the otterfolk discussion>

Be careful. Otterfolk sailors are often having slippery sloop discussions.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alzrius wrote:
...and trying to cross-breed them is what's known as Canifornication.

Those damn hippies from Canifornia are at it again.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
RJGrady wrote:
It's a stretch to call them cats, unless you want to call a mongoose a cat.
seeing as civets are pretty much the halfway point between mongoose and cat, i find i can make that stretch.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi would make a pretty awesome PC, especially in something like the Serpent's Skull AP.

But whenever the party visits the town of civitsfolk, they now know to never drink the coffee.

I have a homebrew race of Mongoose folk that really really really hate the serpentfolk, for certain events that happened in their distant past.


11 people marked this as a favorite.

First they ask for anthropomorphic lizards, then anthropomorphic cats. Next thing you know, they'll be demanding anthropomorphic chimpanzees. How outlandish is that? Like a chimp, only standing up-right, and with less fur. And TALKING. And it will probably look outrageously unrealistic like this. That's just way too wuxia anime to ever be allowed in a fantasy game. No anthropomorphic chimps!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Because I actually like anime and wuxia in my Pathfinder.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

1 person marked this as a favorite.
137ben wrote:
First they ask for anthropomorphic lizards, then anthropomorphic cats. Next thing you know, they'll be demanding anthropomorphic chimpanzees. How outlandish is that? Like a chimp, only standing up-right, and with less fur. And TALKING. And it will probably look outrageously unrealistic like this. That's just way too wuxia anime to ever be allowed in a fantasy game. No anthropomorphic chimps!

*snorts a laugh*


2 people marked this as a favorite.

For my next game, players will only be allowed to be catgirls.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well I very much enjoy learning different mindsets than my own natural one.

The question of what a civilization that doesn't have a need to develop weapons initially and the psychological differences that come with natural weaponry, and heighten senses is one I like exploring. Another example would be how different a troll would view violence because of his natural regeneration and the inability to comprehend why everything else doesn't just heal like he does.

Add to this a curiosity and natural affinity for animals (most specifically rodents and felines) I do tend to find a bit of a kinship in some part of me for the race.

Also I would have to say the Cheshire cat is probably one of my favorite characters in all of literature.

Fun story:

So I was a bit sick and out of it at the same time my wife was playing league of legends. She was playing ashe bottom lane with a cassiopeia against bots. Cass wasn't completely in the bush and my wife verbally states, "Oh honey your tail is showing."

To which I give a very startled look at her and start searching for my tail (okay I was a bit more than a little out of it). My wife takes one look at me and bursts out laughing at what has happened and then explains she hadn't been talking to me.

Though on occasion she will through that line at me again when I am being more than a little mischievous.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Umbral Reaver wrote:
For my next game, players will only be allowed to be catgirls.

I'd also like my next group of players to be catgirls - though I don't really care what sort of characters they'd make.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because... Cats!

Silver Crusade

Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
Could we take the slippery slope discussion elsewhere, maybe? Please?

Yeah, there's no place for a slippery slope discussion in a catfolk thread.

<Goes to look for the otterfolk discussion>

Be careful. Otterfolk sailors are often having slippery sloop discussions.

This sounds especially dirty if you are familiar with the usage of "otter" to refer to a hairy-but-thin gay man.

Sczarni

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So a female cat folk and a succubus walk into the same room...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Celestial Healer wrote:
This sounds especially dirty if you are familiar with the usage of "otter" to refer to a hairy-but-thin gay man.

Ha! I learned something new today.

The More You Know ☆彡


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The reasons possible are numerous -

1. Player just likes Thundrcats, Tigra, or any other cat-like character from comics or anime

2. Player likes cats

3. Player likes any furry race

4. Player wants any race that sticks out in a crowd, especially if it is super rare or last of its kind trope

5. Group supports Paizo efforts to make additional playable races to justify other Bestiaries

6. GM wants to justify purchase of advanced race guide

7. GM compromise for not allowing a player to create a weretiger PC

Someone mentioned the special snowflake effect inverted, that if a game world was mostly catfolk would people play humans? The answer is yes. I tried running a variant fantasy anthro campaign using Palladium's TMNT and Fantasy before. The player that always wanted to pay an oddball wanted to play a human that was dimensionally transported into the world that never saw humans before; and was the only time he wanted to play a human.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
KestrelZ wrote:
Someone mentioned the special snowflake effect inverted, that if a game world was mostly catfolk would people play humans? The answer is yes. I tried running a variant fantasy anthro campaign using Palladium's TMNT and Fantasy before. The player that always wanted to pay an oddball wanted to play a human that was dimensionally transported into the world that never saw humans before; and was the only time he wanted to play a human.

Yeah, there are some people who's ideal is playing something that's different from everything else, regardless of what the "everything else" is.


Ulfen Death Squad wrote:
So a female cat folk and a succubus walk into the same room...

...anime fanboys explode.


The world will not fall apart because of some cat folk of any gender or stripe... or does it?

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

KestrelZ wrote:
6. GM wants to justify purchase of advanced race guide

This one made me snort a laugh.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It was mentioned before, but I like the Khajiit from the elder scrolls series, and see the catfolk in pathfinder very similar.


Well, with people wanting such a mixed bag of furry races, why not just swi... borrow, I was gonna say borrow, the Furrikin from Lusternia. In the backstory, the Gods basically fought Great Old Ones and were on the verge of losing so they splintered their essence to create the sentient races of the world (these sentient races subsequently sealed away said GOOs). This involved focusing on a particular physical form but the first one to attempt this loved all the animals of the world so much that he couldn't focus on a single one of them over the others so the race he fractured into, the Furrikin, became all different kinds of small mammals; rabbits, coons, foxes, cats, dwarf bears, etc. There were other animal-based races that were more focused; a cat race (Aslaran), a dog race (Loboshigaru), a bull race (Taurian), and a bear race (Tae'dae). But the furrikin are a race of all the furries.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

1 person marked this as a favorite.

We are getting ready to release the Book of Heroic Races: Advanced Favored Class Options. Check out all the classes that we are giving favored class options over at JonBrazer.com.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

1 person marked this as a favorite.

In a wild ride of races, we announce the final list of races getting favored class options next week, as well as getting racial development next year. Check it out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Why do I want to play a catfolk?

Because then my interest in catgirls wouldn't seem so creepy.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Since this thread has had raise dead cast upon it, I should mention that Book of Heroic Races: Advanced Catfolk comes out in February.

Dark Archive

Because I want to be able to lick myself clean.


Because who needs water to take a bath;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That's not always a good thing.


Because they live inside the Rule of Cool!

Not to mention they have great dex, low light vision, fabulous fur and always land on their feet.

However, they are easily distracted by shiny things.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Brother Fen wrote:
However, they are easily distracted by shiny things.

*Stops looking at the bauble* I'm sorry, what were you saying?


The original Dropbox image leads to a 404. Are we talking more like the Khajiit catfolk, or the anime "human with tail and ears" catfolk?

That said, if I ever did play a catfolk of either kind, I'd probably go for a wise-cracking mobile hunter type. That, and it's fun to play an unconventional race once in a while.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Libertad wrote:
The original Dropbox image leads to a 404. Are we talking more like the Khajiit catfolk, or the anime "human with tail and ears" catfolk?

Funny you should ask that. We just shared the artwork from Book of Heroic Races: Advanced Catfolk just this morning at JonBrazer.com

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Book of Heroic Races: Advanced Catfolk is now available for Pathfinder at DriveThruRPG/RPGNow, d20PFSRD, and of course Paizo.com.

Shadow Lodge

There is an interesting build using a Catfolk as a Moon Oracle. Take the alternate racial trait that gives them 2 claw attacks and then take the revelation that gives them a bite attack 3+charisma modifier times per day. At level 1 your character gets 3 natural attacks. If you can get a permanent Greater Magical Fang spell you've got a pretty tough melee character, especially if you specialize in buff based spells.

101 to 144 of 144 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / Why Do You Want to Play a Catfolk? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Product Discussion