What feats do you wish existed?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion

301 to 325 of 325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Trogdar wrote:
JiCi wrote:


3)A feat that boosts spellcasting according to the caster level
A 10-th level sorcerer with Cha 20 (+5) casting a 5th-level spell now has a DC of 25 (base 10 + spell level 5 + cha mod 5 + 1/2 caster level 5). I'm so sorry, but spell-casting SHOULD take in consideration the actual caster level, or half of it.

This would break the game. Spellcasting DC's are already really hard to save against. Increasing spell DC's across the board by 10 points at level 20 would make character save progression basically irrelevant.

For a limited use feat, it could work...

Also, I always thought it was dumb that the ONLY thing that makes the spell different between 2 casters is their key ability score modifiers, NOT their actual level.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
snickersimba wrote:
Seriously? No one wants to help me balance a monk using someones internal organs as a whip? I am totally aware that this might be a bad topic while eating spaghetti and meatballs.

Ask and thee shalt receive!

Rip and Tear
Your opponents are Huge; therefore, their guts must be Huge.

Prerequisites: Str 17; Catch Off-Guard; Improved Unarmed Strike; base attack bonus +6, monk level 4, or brawler level 4

Benefit: When you reduce an opponent to 0 or fewer hit points with an unarmed attack, you may describe to your DM, in excruciating detail, the horrifyingly over-the-top means by which you fatally mutilate your opponent. You can use your target's shorn-off body parts as improvised weapons as follows:
Eyes: As a shuriken, except they deal bludgeoning damage.
Head: As a club, except it does bludgeoning damage.
Arm or Leg: As a longsword, except it does bludgeoning damage and has a critical threat range of 20/x2.
Tail: As a nunchaku.
Intestines: As a whip, except it deals bludgeoning damage, can be used against targets wearing armor or natural armor, and lacking the Disarm ability.
Thoracic organs, genitals, or testicles: Too ridiculous to warrant developer opinion.
Blood: You may make one free dirty trick maneuver against an adjacent opponent. No matter how big your former opponent was, there is only enough blood in his system for one dirty trick.

These improvised weapons, not surprisingly, are destroyed if you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll made with them.

Special: If your Troma-inspired combat description causes one fellow player to visibly retch (at the very least), you gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls made with these "truly natural weapons."


JiCi wrote:
Trogdar wrote:
JiCi wrote:


3)A feat that boosts spellcasting according to the caster level
A 10-th level sorcerer with Cha 20 (+5) casting a 5th-level spell now has a DC of 25 (base 10 + spell level 5 + cha mod 5 + 1/2 caster level 5). I'm so sorry, but spell-casting SHOULD take in consideration the actual caster level, or half of it.

This would break the game. Spellcasting DC's are already really hard to save against. Increasing spell DC's across the board by 10 points at level 20 would make character save progression basically irrelevant.

For a limited use feat, it could work...

Also, I always thought it was dumb that the ONLY thing that makes the spell different between 2 casters is their key ability score modifiers, NOT their actual level.

Dont get me wrong, there is some truth to what you are saying. I would just suggest that you may want to make sure the underlying mathematics are not too heavily impacted. If anything, I would divorce spellcasting from ability scores altogether as it is difficult to balance as it stands. If you eliminate ability scores and then have spell dc's improve through caster level you may get nearer to where you want to be, but then you have to sort out the low level low dc issue.

tldr; Its a little more complicated to implement a fix for the problem that troubles you. :)

Sczarni

Critical Specialization

Prereq: Improved Critical or Weapon Specialization with chosen weapon.

Benefit: You treat all critical hits with your chosen weapon as though its crit multiplier were increased by 1. (a weapon with a x3 multiplier becomes a x4 multiplier, and so on.)

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. For each time you take the feat, you must choose a different weapon.


Didn't read the whole thread, but I'd vote for Telling Blow and Steadfast Determination to return from 3.5.

Liberty's Edge

Actually, tearing a mans heart out could be used like a dart, but deals bludgeoning damage instead of piercing.

All of these attacks can cause the oppenent to become nauseated when preformed, sickened when hit with them.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
JiCi wrote:

1)A feat similar to Superior Unarmed Strike

because you're NOT gonna get far with ONLY 1d3 points of base damage if you're not a monk or brawler.

something like this?


messy wrote:
JiCi wrote:

1)A feat similar to Superior Unarmed Strike

because you're NOT gonna get far with ONLY 1d3 points of base damage if you're not a monk or brawler.
something like this?

Yeah... without being a 3rd-party material... not to say that this is a bad thing though.

I just wished that Paizo would have done this sooner...


JiCi wrote:

1)A feat similar to Superior Unarmed Strike

because you're NOT gonna get far with ONLY 1d3 points of base damage if you're not a monk or brawler.

Somebody posted a Greater Unarmed Strike from Dreamscarred Press above, but keep in mid that if you have a lot of Strength (and potentially Amulet of Mighty Fist enhancements), being stuck with 1d3 base damage is only an annoyance rather than a serious handicap.

JiCi wrote:

2)A feat that allows spellcasters to learn spells from similar classes

such as a paladin learning cleric/oracle spells (I think there is, but I'm not sure), a magus learning sorcerer/wizard spells and whatnot

This is Paladin-specific, but it's from Paizo's own Ultimate Magic: Unsanctioned Knowledge

JiCi wrote:

3)A feat that boosts spellcasting according to the caster level

A 10-th level sorcerer with Cha 20 (+5) casting a 5th-level spell now has a DC of 25 (base 10 + spell level 5 + cha mod 5 + 1/2 caster level 5). I'm so sorry, but spellcasting SHOULD take in consideration the actual caster level, or half of it.

You could do this (although ti wouldn't be a feat) without breaking much(*) if you used the D&D 5th Edition approach and made spell DC depend upon 1/2 caster level (and ability score modifier), but NOT depend upon spell level. This makes more sense than what we have now (inherited from 3.x) where spell DC depends upon spell level (and ability score modifier) but not caster level, although it would require a bit of rework of metamagic (but that needs a rework anyway).

JiCi wrote:

4)A feat that makes 1st-level domain/bloodline/school abilities useable at will

Considering the weak damage output and such, I don't see how making them at will instead of limited per day would be broken.

I wish they would just fix these abilities in the first place so that they are all useful at more than just the lowest levels.

Shadow Lodge

Scaling feats for combat maneuvers


catman123456 wrote:
Scaling feats for combat maneuvers

What is this... scaling of which you speak?


Hero's Strike

You make a single attack that deals damage that can only be generated by a brave hero.

Prerequisites: 6th-level fighter, Bravery Class Feature, Vital Strike, base attack bonus +9

Benefit: When you use this ability with Vital Strike, Improved Vital Strike, or Greater Vital Strike, the bonus on will saves against fear from Bravery is added to your damage roll and multiplied by the number of times (two, three, or four) you roll damage dice for one of those feats. You are immune to all mind-affecting effects from any target you hit with vital strike.

Special: When you are using Sweeping Strike, Champion's path ability of Mythic Hero, while having the feat, Vital Strike (Mythic). You may use this ability with Vital Strike, Improved Vital Strike, or Greater Vital Strike. Then apply it to all opponents hit by the attack.


A feat that is a good stand alone option that is not part of a feat chain. That has a variety of uses, is not over-powered and stacks with level.

Heroic Surge

You can perform additional actions in a round.

Benefit: The character may take an extra move action or attack action in a round, either before or after the character’s regular actions. The character may use Heroic Surge a number of times per day depending on his or her character level (as shown below), but never more than once per round.

Character Level

Times per Day

1st—4th 1
5th—8th 2
9th—12th 3
13th—16th 4
17th—20th 5


Opuk0 wrote:
catman123456 wrote:
Scaling feats for combat maneuvers
What is this... scaling of which you speak?

A feat that gets better as you level up instead of requiring you to spend more feats to take later versions of it. An example would be if the Weapon Mastery revelation of the Oracle's Battle Mystery were a feat instead of a Revelation.


JiCi wrote:

1)A feat similar to Superior Unarmed Strike

because you're NOT gonna get far with ONLY 1d3 points of base damage if you're not a monk or brawler.

Funny thing is I SUSPECT that unless size modifications are used the class that does the most damage with an unarmed strike is a fighter.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Multiclass feats, yeah I know Pathfinder isn't multiclass friendly but to be quite honest, multiclass feats wouldn't be too bad. I personally don't multiclass, but can clearly see some of my friends and players suffering from trying to multiclass.

Scarab Sages

Ughbash wrote:
JiCi wrote:

1)A feat similar to Superior Unarmed Strike

because you're NOT gonna get far with ONLY 1d3 points of base damage if you're not a monk or brawler.

Funny thing is I SUSPECT that unless size modifications are used the class that does the most damage with an unarmed strike is a fighter.

True. Weapon Training + Gloves of Dueling + Brawling armor are worth much more than a monks damage die increases, especially at 20th with the crit multiplier increase.

Shadow Lodge

UnArcaneElection wrote:
Opuk0 wrote:
catman123456 wrote:
Scaling feats for combat maneuvers
What is this... scaling of which you speak?

A feat that gets better as you level up instead of requiring you to spend more feats to take later versions of it. An example would be if the Weapon Mastery revelation of the Oracle's Battle Mystery were a feat instead of a Revelation.

Here is a example from New Paths Compendium by Kobold press

Two-Weapon Fighting (Combat, Scaling):
You are skilled at fighting with two weapons at a time.

Replaces: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two- Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

Prerequisite: Dex 17

Benefit: Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hand lessens by 2 and the one for your off hand lessens by 6. When your base attack bonus reaches +6, you get a second attack (in addition to the single extra attack you normally get), at a -5 penalty, with an off-hand weapon. When your base attack bonus reaches +11, you get a third attack, at a -10 penalty, with your off-hand weapon.
See Two-Weapon Fighting in the Pathfinder RPG
Core Rulebook.

Normal: If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. When fighting in this way you suffer a -6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a -10 penalty to the attack with your off hand. If your off-hand weapon is light, the penalties are reduced by 2 each. An unarmed strike is always considered light.


I wish there were more options for religion-themed abilities for non-clerics. In the Paizo OGL books, I can find really only 2: Believer's Boon (which I think is broken in a does-not-actually-work way) and Deific/Celestial/Demonic Obedience, which is one of my favorites, and contains a lot of options within itself, but...


catman123456 wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:
Opuk0 wrote:
catman123456 wrote:
Scaling feats for combat maneuvers
What is this... scaling of which you speak?

A feat that gets better as you level up instead of requiring you to spend more feats to take later versions of it. An example would be if the Weapon Mastery revelation of the Oracle's Battle Mystery were a feat instead of a Revelation.

Here is a example from New Paths Compendium by Kobold press

** spoiler omitted ** {= Kobold Press version of Two-Weapon Fighting}

Here's an actual Paizo example of a scaling feat: Arcane Strike. Unfortunately, this new FAQ made it inaccessible to a lot of Rogues/Ninjas and Martials who used spell-like abilities to get access to this (including Rogues/Ninjas who actually invested in Rogue Talents for this).

And since the above FAQ nerfed Eldritch Knights, and since on the suggestion that certain Magus Arcana can replicate Eldritch Knight's one unique class feature, I just looked up Critical Strike and Opportune Strike and saw that they are traps, this is a good lead-in to another entry in the feat wishlist:

Critical Strike
You have learned how to work in a spell when you strike an especially good blow.
Prerequisites: Arcane Strike, Quicken Spell, Magus 12 or Base Attack Bonus +12.
Benefit: Whenever you confirm a critical hit, you can cast a spell as a swift action (as if using Quicken Spell, but without raising the level of the spell). The spell must include the target of the attack as one of its targets or in its area of effect. Casting this spell does not provoke an attack of opportunity.


^Actually, might as well make it available to divine casters while we're at it, although that makes the Prerequisites line a lot more complicated, since no Divine Strike feat exists that is equivalent to Arcane Strike. Probably should also make the BAB requirement less stringent, like maybe +9 (otherwise full casters can't get it at all unless they go into epic levels -- BAB +9 still means 19th level for them unless they dipped 2 levels of full BAB or 4 levels of 3/4 BAB).

EDIT: Also make it usable without Quicken Spell if you can cast spells that naturally have Swift Action casting time (most of the Litany series of spells, for example, and a Paladin/Antipaladin or Bloodrager is never going to be able to use Quicken Spell itself unless they get something to lower the metamagic cost).


UnArcaneElection wrote:

^Actually, might as well make it available to divine casters while we're at it, although that makes the Prerequisites line a lot more complicated, since no Divine Strike feat exists that is equivalent to Arcane Strike. Probably should also make the BAB requirement less stringent, like maybe +9 (otherwise full casters can't get it at all unless they go into epic levels -- BAB +9 still means 19th level for them unless they dipped 2 levels of full BAB or 4 levels of 3/4 BAB).

EDIT: Also make it usable without Quicken Spell if you can cast spells that naturally have Swift Action casting time (most of the Litany series of spells, for example, and a Paladin/Antipaladin or Bloodrager is never going to be able to use Quicken Spell itself unless they get something to lower the metamagic cost).

maybe for bloodragers looking to waste a feat on quicken?

Scarab Sages

christos gurd wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:

^Actually, might as well make it available to divine casters while we're at it, although that makes the Prerequisites line a lot more complicated, since no Divine Strike feat exists that is equivalent to Arcane Strike. Probably should also make the BAB requirement less stringent, like maybe +9 (otherwise full casters can't get it at all unless they go into epic levels -- BAB +9 still means 19th level for them unless they dipped 2 levels of full BAB or 4 levels of 3/4 BAB).

EDIT: Also make it usable without Quicken Spell if you can cast spells that naturally have Swift Action casting time (most of the Litany series of spells, for example, and a Paladin/Antipaladin or Bloodrager is never going to be able to use Quicken Spell itself unless they get something to lower the metamagic cost).

maybe for bloodragers looking to waste a feat on quicken?

Easier to just be a blood conduit.


christos gurd wrote:
maybe for bloodragers looking to waste a feat on quicken?

Although Quicken Spell itself (and as far as I remember, all of the Metamagic feats) do not explicitly have a caster level requirement, it makes sense that Rules As Intended (not Written), a prerequisite for each Metamagic feat would be for you to be able to cast spells of high enough level to be able to use the Metamagic feat on some spells that you can cast.

Might be not a bad idea to let Bloodragers in on Critical Strike with some way that doesn't require Quicken Spell, although again this bloats the Prerequisites line, and Bloodragers don't have anything like Magus Arcana to give them a backdoor in without doing so (which, come to think of it, would allow UN-bloating the Prerequisites line a little bit).

Imbicatus wrote:
Easier to just be a blood conduit.

Linkified for you. Good find. Still, would be good to allow other classes to have a way (although an expensive one) to get this, which was sort of what Eldritch Knight did, although that was ** 10+ Levels Expensive **, but it was good for a niche before getting nerfed by the latest SLA FAQ.


Safe. Stand. (i.e. Quick to your feet, hard to fall,etc)

Dex 13

You can simply stand from prone. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. you may recover any weapon next to you as a free action as you stand.

Oddly Enough, Epic hero and villain feat cards cover this.

301 to 325 of 325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / What feats do you wish existed? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.