The Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance ***Spoilers***


Television

51 to 100 of 270 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Freehold DM wrote:
Grey Lensman wrote:

Mako from Avatar: The Legend of Koprra is named after the voice actor who played Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Mako's IMDB page

The FF7 thing is just a coincidence.

thank god I didn't turn the microwave on.

If you had I was going to run into the room screaming "It was a joooooooooke!" as everything behind me went up in flames. Really I was just humorously trying to point out that his name isn't "Marko," was all. No need to get all burny explodinating about it.

Not saying I would have started a fire. Not after what happened last time.


So, uh...

Kuvira.

The Exchange

Whats with all the doubt on tech advancement rate, if you looked at 1850's to 1920's you'd see a similar tech shift in the general tech level, (baring some of the more overtly steampunk stuff such as the shock gloves.).


Great episode but wish Korra herself could have shown up sooner.

I really don't like Kuvira... already.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love Kuvira. FINALLY an earthbending villain that acts like an earthbending villain.


Freehold DM wrote:
I love Kuvira. FINALLY an earthbending villain that acts like an earthbending villain.

Rigid and stubborn with a my way or the high mentality?

Shadow Lodge

It was good for a setup episode. I think Kuvira will make an interesting villain. Definitely not the kind of problem that you can just run up and punch into stopping.


The NPC wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
I love Kuvira. FINALLY an earthbending villain that acts like an earthbending villain.
Rigid and stubborn with a my way or the high mentality?

Dont' forget the private army.


Freehold DM wrote:
I love Kuvira. FINALLY an earthbending villain that acts like an earthbending villain.

Uh-oh. I agree with Freehold on something. Better pop in some Firefly to make certain there's nothing off about the planetary alignments. ;)


Strangely enough, I get a kind of 'Toph' feeling from Kuvira. I wonder if she may be a third daughter of Toph, and the reason why Toph disappeared so many years ago?


Interesting theory there Tels, it is a possibility.

The Exchange

Tels wrote:
Strangely enough, I get a kind of 'Toph' feeling from Kuvira. I wonder if she may be a third daughter of Toph, and the reason why Toph disappeared so many years ago?

funny you say that

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?

The Exchange

Chris Mortika wrote:
So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?

She's looking for purpose. Everyone wants the avatar dead or out of the way and the priest class all look on the avatar as someone who doesnt have a family and children. Maybe she gets pregnant and vanishes from view. Final season will be telling.

The Exchange

Map of world of avatar


yellowdingo wrote:
Chris Mortika wrote:
So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?
She's looking for purpose. Everyone wants the avatar dead or out of the way and the priest class all look on the avatar as someone who doesnt have a family and children. Maybe she gets pregnant and vanishes from view. Final season will be telling.

I agree with most of this. Korra's been built up to have "I'm the Avatar" as the cornerstone of her entire personality. It's how she defines herself. She's known since she was four - she never had the chance to form her personality before being named as such. The entire series has been slowly taking that away from her. Amon tried to take her bending. Unalaq tried to take away Raava. The Red Lotus came extremely close to taking her life. If she's unable to serve as the Avatar, what does she have left?

Final season is almost certainly going to be more about Korra the person than Korra the Avatar.


I think she's still in recovery from the poisoning. It probably did a number on her physically (and mentally) and it's taking her time to get her strength back.

I agree that she's trying to find herself outside of being The Avatar. I also think, with the number of people that have been gunning for her over the years, that she doesn't want to publicly reappear as the Avatar until she has her mojo back, which she very obviously doesn't.

It does concern me that she's been apparently lying to her father about what's going on and the whole prize-fighting thing seems a little sketchy. (I'd have to re-watch, but it looks like she was fighting in a cramped pit-like arena, versus the giant professional wrestling-style arena Toph was doing her Blind Bandit gig in.)

Also, I doubt Kuriva is a secret Toph daughter, considering that would mean she's engaged to her cousin. (Which I imagine a kids' show would avoid.)

The Exchange

Kalshane wrote:

I think she's still in recovery from the poisoning. It probably did a number on her physically (and mentally) and it's taking her time to get her strength back.

I agree that she's trying to find herself outside of being The Avatar. I also think, with the number of people that have been gunning for her over the years, that she doesn't want to publicly reappear as the Avatar until she has her mojo back, which she very obviously doesn't.

It does concern me that she's been apparently lying to her father about what's going on and the whole prize-fighting thing seems a little sketchy. (I'd have to re-watch, but it looks like she was fighting in a cramped pit-like arena, versus the giant professional wrestling-style arena Toph was doing her Blind Bandit gig in.)

Also, I doubt Kuriva is a secret Toph daughter, considering that would mean she's engaged to her cousin. (Which I imagine a kids' show would avoid.)

Avatar is one who journies to be made whole. Korra is just beginning the journey.

Grand Lodge

Scintillae wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
Chris Mortika wrote:
So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?
She's looking for purpose. Everyone wants the avatar dead or out of the way and the priest class all look on the avatar as someone who doesnt have a family and children. Maybe she gets pregnant and vanishes from view. Final season will be telling.

I agree with most of this. Korra's been built up to have "I'm the Avatar" as the cornerstone of her entire personality. It's how she defines herself. She's known since she was four - she never had the chance to form her personality before being named as such. The entire series has been slowly taking that away from her. Amon tried to take her bending. Unalaq tried to take away Raava. The Red Lotus came extremely close to taking her life. If she's unable to serve as the Avatar, what does she have left?

Final season is almost certainly going to be more about Korra the person than Korra the Avatar.

Why do women have to be punished for wanting to be the protagonist of their own stories is what I want to know about Korra. I find it extremely likely right now that the Korra who ends the series will, even if she rebounds from where she is right now, still be severely diminished from the Korra who began the series - in power, in confidence, in strength, in skill.

Every major villain of the series has made it a point of taking her sense of self from her.

Legend of Korra is disappointing to me. What's the legend of Korra? That if a woman dares to be exceptional and self-confident, the world will correct this by any means necessary.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well, she's the Avatar who saved the world from the Dark Avatar and in the process reveresed a decision made by the First Avatar 10,000 years ago reuniting the mortal and spirit worlds.

I think that counts as legendary in and of itself. Ending the Anti-Bender War would as well, and I'm sure that Tensin is going to make sure that her role in reviving the Air Nation isn't going to be forgotten any time soon.

The Exchange

But what does that mean? Aang learned from the lion turtle that everyone were energy benders so I assume some conflict where the winner took energy bending from everyone else and the avatar may have been the winner.

Shadow Lodge

... what?


Orthos wrote:
... what?

At some point in the past, even before the first Avatar, people bent energy instead of the elements. At least according to the Dragon Turtle in A:TLA. It may be possible for Korra to bring about the return of Energy Bending, instead of Element Bending. Or it may be possible for her to use Energy Bending to give non-benders the ability to bend the elements. Maybe even teach the Airbenders how to do it so they can travel the world, giving everyone the ability to bend the element of their choice.


Scintillae wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
I love Kuvira. FINALLY an earthbending villain that acts like an earthbending villain.
Uh-oh. I agree with Freehold on something. Better pop in some Firefly to make certain there's nothing off about the planetary alignments. ;)

I know. I'm scared too....


Scintillae wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
Chris Mortika wrote:
So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?
She's looking for purpose. Everyone wants the avatar dead or out of the way and the priest class all look on the avatar as someone who doesnt have a family and children. Maybe she gets pregnant and vanishes from view. Final season will be telling.

I agree with most of this. Korra's been built up to have "I'm the Avatar" as the cornerstone of her entire personality. It's how she defines herself. She's known since she was four - she never had the chance to form her personality before being named as such. The entire series has been slowly taking that away from her. Amon tried to take her bending. Unalaq tried to take away Raava. The Red Lotus came extremely close to taking her life. If she's unable to serve as the Avatar, what does she have left?

Final season is almost certainly going to be more about Korra the person than Korra the Avatar.

The only Avatar who wasn't into being the avatar was the weird surfer dude.


Freehold DM wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
I love Kuvira. FINALLY an earthbending villain that acts like an earthbending villain.
Uh-oh. I agree with Freehold on something. Better pop in some Firefly to make certain there's nothing off about the planetary alignments. ;)
I know. I'm scared too....

Uh oh. Freehold DM wants to watch Firefly? The world is coming to an end!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Orthos wrote:
... what?
At some point in the past, even before the first Avatar, people bent energy instead of the elements. At least according to the Dragon Turtle in A:TLA. It may be possible for Korra to bring about the return of Energy Bending, instead of Element Bending. Or it may be possible for her to use Energy Bending to give non-benders the ability to bend the elements. Maybe even teach the Airbenders how to do it so they can travel the world, giving everyone the ability to bend the element of their choice.

Actually what the Lion Turtle said that Energy Bending predated Element Bending, not that humans were doing it. The Revelation of Wan revealed that Bending was temporary gift given to Humans who left the Turtle shelters to hunt for food and given back when those Humans return. The Turtles practised Energy Bending to bestow (and take back) those temporary gifts of Bending. So the Turtles were the only known practitioners of energy bending until Aang was given the gift himself.

Wan became the first to take Bending from the Turtles and not give it back, and he swindled it from all four of the Lion Turtles. The reason that the Avatar can master all four elements is that the spirit that bonded with Wan, transfers that gift of stolen bending to all of Wan's successors. It's also why no other mortal can master any but one element.


LazarX wrote:
Tels wrote:
Orthos wrote:
... what?
At some point in the past, even before the first Avatar, people bent energy instead of the elements. At least according to the Dragon Turtle in A:TLA. It may be possible for Korra to bring about the return of Energy Bending, instead of Element Bending. Or it may be possible for her to use Energy Bending to give non-benders the ability to bend the elements. Maybe even teach the Airbenders how to do it so they can travel the world, giving everyone the ability to bend the element of their choice.

Actually what the Lion Turtle said that Energy Bending predated Element Bending, not that humans were doing it. The Revelation of Wan revealed that Bending was temporary gift given to Humans who left the Turtle shelters to hunt for food and given back when those Humans return. The Turtles practised Energy Bending to bestow (and take back) those temporary gifts of Bending. So the Turtles were the only known practitioners of energy bending until Aang was given the gift himself.

Wan became the first to take Bending from the Turtles and not give it back, and he swindled it from all four of the Lion Turtles. The reason that the Avatar can master all four elements is that the spirit that bonded with Wan, transfers that gift of stolen bending to all of Wan's successors. It's also why no other mortal can master any but one element.

Are you saying Lion Turtles aren't people? Wow, didn't know you were a speciest! [/joking]

It's entirely possible that only the turtles bent energy, this is true, but I like to think that, at some point, humans bent energy, but forgot how to do it, possibly due to the events of a harmonic convergence. Or, the classic 'humans didn't understand the power they wielded' bit and after humans forgot how to energy bend, the spirits and creatures like the Lion Turtles opted not to remind them, but gave them limited access to elemental bending instead.


Freehold DM wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
Chris Mortika wrote:
So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?
She's looking for purpose. Everyone wants the avatar dead or out of the way and the priest class all look on the avatar as someone who doesnt have a family and children. Maybe she gets pregnant and vanishes from view. Final season will be telling.

I agree with most of this. Korra's been built up to have "I'm the Avatar" as the cornerstone of her entire personality. It's how she defines herself. She's known since she was four - she never had the chance to form her personality before being named as such. The entire series has been slowly taking that away from her. Amon tried to take her bending. Unalaq tried to take away Raava. The Red Lotus came extremely close to taking her life. If she's unable to serve as the Avatar, what does she have left?

Final season is almost certainly going to be more about Korra the person than Korra the Avatar.

The only Avatar who wasn't into being the avatar was the weird surfer dude.

But they had time to develop as people before having that added on. Aang was told early at twelve - the monks said the Avatar is normally told at sixteen.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Scintillae wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
Chris Mortika wrote:
So, what do you think is up with Our Heroine? Is the poison still affecting her? Are her reactions slowed?
She's looking for purpose. Everyone wants the avatar dead or out of the way and the priest class all look on the avatar as someone who doesnt have a family and children. Maybe she gets pregnant and vanishes from view. Final season will be telling.

I agree with most of this. Korra's been built up to have "I'm the Avatar" as the cornerstone of her entire personality. It's how she defines herself. She's known since she was four - she never had the chance to form her personality before being named as such. The entire series has been slowly taking that away from her. Amon tried to take her bending. Unalaq tried to take away Raava. The Red Lotus came extremely close to taking her life. If she's unable to serve as the Avatar, what does she have left?

Final season is almost certainly going to be more about Korra the person than Korra the Avatar.

The only Avatar who wasn't into being the avatar was the weird surfer dude.
But they had time to develop as people before having that added on. Aang was told early at twelve - the monks said the Avatar is normally told at sixteen.

It's quite likely that there were a fair number of Avatars who had nice easy tenures.

Those aren't the ones that legends are told about.

The Exchange

I have it on good authority that legend of korra isnt as good as legend of aang because new team avatar are just too damn old. Having just picked up the first two seasons i'm high strung about what is going on. Its chaotic. I'm freaking out...yeah that must be it.

Saw sokka in flashback getting blood bended during a trial. And Aang is a neglectful father who favoured his airbender son over the others? Yik.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

OMG they're human!!

The Exchange

Kryzbyn wrote:
OMG they're human!!

Problem is...people only behave like that when they are not human. Hey I get it, writers got to write...probably have issues with own parents being serial killers. Writer Di martino probably got told his dad was a douche by other siblings after Di martino senior kicked bucket at end of legend of aang. Boo hoo. Just dont take it out on the rest of us. Dont hijack the show doing it. No wonder the show tv began sliding and got moved to an online broadcast slot. The final two seasons are gonna turn kids into kids who tear the heads off their sister's dolly.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

. . . . .


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah...I don't...even...?

Shadow Lodge

yellowdingo wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
OMG they're human!!
Problem is...people only behave like that when they are not human.

This couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Human characters are flawed. They make mistakes. They have weaknesses and moral pitfalls.

Frankly I would find it far harder to believe Aang was a perfect father who did nothing wrong and raised all his children in serene bliss. The fact that Tenzin thought that was a heavy - and fairly obvious - hint toward how mistaken he was, and blatantly pointed out his status as favorite child.

That's how real people are. Parents sometimes heavily favor one child over another/the others. Heck, I should know. My sister was the choice child for the grandmother who practically raised us since my parents both had to work when I was a kid. It was very clear she was the favorite one, compared to myself and my brother. Yet if you asked either her or my sister, they'd be quick to deny it and claim we all were loved equally. Maybe so, but we sure didn't get attention and gifts lavished on us like she did.

The Exchange

I guess I have a very different sense of what qualifies as Human. Self sacrificing, just, and not from the chaotic evil end of the pool.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

So not a perfect father = CE? Interesting.

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
yellowdingo wrote:
I guess I have a very different sense of what qualifies as Human. Self sacrificing, just, and not from the chaotic evil end of the pool.

Wow. So the vast majority of the human race in real life doesn't qualify as human to you? Because far and away the great majority of people who have ever lived do not meet these qualifications.

Most people are far from self sacrificing - most won't even sacrifice money or possessions, much less self, for anything other than immediate family and extremely close friends - and suggesting people are just is laughable.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say CE, I would definitely say by your definition you can only be human if you're Good-aligned, and the vast majority of people are Neutral at best.

The Exchange

Orthos wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
I guess I have a very different sense of what qualifies as Human. Self sacrificing, just, and not from the chaotic evil end of the pool.

Wow. So the vast majority of the human race in real life doesn't qualify as human to you? Because far and away the great majority of people who have ever lived do not meet these qualifications.

Most people are far from self sacrificing - most won't even sacrifice money or possessions, much less self, for anything other than immediate family and extremely close friends - and suggesting people are just is laughable.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say CE, I would definitely say by your definition you can only be human if you're Good-aligned, and the vast majority of people are Neutral at best.

Human is so tip of the psycopathic ape iceberg...my issue with avatar is aang doesnt exhibit the 'you are my prefered number one child' psychosis in his childhood personality which is dominated by the whole caring avatar thing...yet come adulthood we are expected to see a collapse of his developed ideology in favour of inequality. A personality shift has apparently occured. Thats not a personality shift you want to see in an all powerful avatar.


The problem I have with Aang as depicted in the show is the extent to which he favored Tenzin. Based off the interactions of the siblings, one might assume Aang never took any child on any trip or vacation other than Tenzin after he was old enough. Ever. Tenzin started rattling off all the different places he'd been that none of the other kids got to see.

At the same time, I'm hard pressed to think that Katara would ever let him get away with that. Katara is way too headstrong to let Aang so badly neglect his other two kids to such an extent. She takes charge in everything and with Aang being so passive, I'm more inclined to think that Katara would force him to take all the kids if he's going to take any of them.

That's not to say I don't think Aang wouldn't favor Tenzin, I totally understand why he did, but I don't think that he would have favored him to the extent that he did.

I also find it hard to believe Tenzin can't remember the fact that none of his family went with him on any of the trips; that it was just him and his Dad. Lack of perception is one thing, but being that thick is something else entirely.


It's also entirely possible that as Aang got older, the thought that Airbender culture would die with him started to weigh heavily on him. But then, I think the extent to which the favoritism was shown was more to service the plot than anything else.

The Exchange

Tels wrote:

The problem I have with Aang as depicted in the show is the extent to which he favored Tenzin. Based off the interactions of the siblings, one might assume Aang never took any child on any trip or vacation other than Tenzin after he was old enough. Ever. Tenzin started rattling off all the different places he'd been that none of the other kids got to see.

At the same time, I'm hard pressed to think that Katara would ever let him get away with that. Katara is way too headstrong to let Aang so badly neglect his other two kids to such an extent. She takes charge in everything and with Aang being so passive, I'm more inclined to think that Katara would force him to take all the kids if he's going to take any of them.

That's not to say I don't think Aang wouldn't favor Tenzin, I totally understand why he did, but I don't think that he would have favored him to the extent that he did.

I also find it hard to believe Tenzin can't remember the fact that none of his family went with him on any of the trips; that it was just him and his Dad. Lack of perception is one thing, but being that thick is something else entirely.

I'm calling 'blame the writers' on this one.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:

The problem I have with Aang as depicted in the show is the extent to which he favored Tenzin. Based off the interactions of the siblings, one might assume Aang never took any child on any trip or vacation other than Tenzin after he was old enough. Ever. Tenzin started rattling off all the different places he'd been that none of the other kids got to see.

At the same time, I'm hard pressed to think that Katara would ever let him get away with that. Katara is way too headstrong to let Aang so badly neglect his other two kids to such an extent. She takes charge in everything and with Aang being so passive, I'm more inclined to think that Katara would force him to take all the kids if he's going to take any of them.

That's not to say I don't think Aang wouldn't favor Tenzin, I totally understand why he did, but I don't think that he would have favored him to the extent that he did.

I also find it hard to believe Tenzin can't remember the fact that none of his family went with him on any of the trips; that it was just him and his Dad. Lack of perception is one thing, but being that thick is something else entirely.

I can't see Katara letting Aang get away with that either, but I can see Aang taking Tenzin on a pilgrimage to the temples to learn airbending traditions and getting sidetracked with penguin sledding


Rubber Ducky guy wrote:
I can't see Katara letting Aang get away with that either, but I can see Aang taking Tenzin on a pilgrimage to the temples to learn airbending traditions and getting sidetracked with penguin sledding

Now THAT would be vintage Aang.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Tenzin
I can see the Air Temple
...
Now I can't. Father, where are we going?

Aang
We have to make a stop


Wow, they're dropping some bombshells early I see.

Dark Archive

This episode was awesome.

Silver Crusade

Actually... I can totally see Aang favoring Tenzin over the others, if only because he was another airbender. Remember, until Tenzin, Aang was the last airbender. Boomie didn't develop any bending at all until last season and the sister is a waterbender. Aang's focus would have been on Tenzin more than the others because he would have placed the hopes of reviving the Air Nation squarely on his eldest son's shoulders.

And today's episode was, in a word, epic.

Dark Archive

Blayde MacRonan wrote:

Actually... I can totally see Aang favoring Tenzin over the others, if only because he was another airbender. Remember, until Tenzin, Aang was the last airbender. Boomie didn't develop any bending at all until last season and the sister is a waterbender. Aang's focus would have been on Tenzin more than the others because he would have placed the hopes of reviving the Air Nation squarely on his eldest son's shoulders.

And today's episode was, in a word, epic.

Tenzin is the youngest of the 3 siblings.

51 to 100 of 270 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / The Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance ***Spoilers*** All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.