Most obnoxious PFS legal rules?


Pathfinder Society

1 to 50 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

What do you think are the most obnoxious PFS legal rules.

It can be for OP.
It can be for illogical.
It can be for time consuming.
It can be because it vexes you (like guns or tech for some people).

Anything.

For me

Spoiler:

Summoning.
It's time consuming.
Extremely powerful to the point of disruptive.
Highly versatile.

Which is a shame because I loved the concept of a summoning druid when I first made it.


For obnoxious adventures
Spoiler:
The golemworks incident, I played this with my paladin and the BBEG who committed acts which would make most demons blush while working with the aspis group was neutral.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dazing channel and slumber hex are up there.

Shadow Lodge

Refuge of Time spoiler:

1. (less important) The ioun stone must be allowed to be used by everyone, because it's on everyone's chronicle sheet, and that's how chronicle sheets work - everyone gets the items in PFS.

Because it's a boon, this is awkward - I can't see why only one person in the party has the opportunity to get it, and the rest automatically get it crossed off. But it's actually been ruled that this is the way it works.

2. (more important) Using the ioun stone can be completely forgiven with an atonement spell, even though it breaks the spell's rules. You just remove the curse, and keep its benefit. Atonement specifically says:

Atonement wrote:
The creature seeking atonement must be truly repentant and desirous of setting right its misdeeds.

so it shouldn't even work if you plan on keeping its bonus.

Atonement for deliberate misdeeds also normally requires a material component of 2,500gp, but for classes where alignment doesn't matter, it's a 2 prestige spend - usually a 750gp value.

Shadow Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Alright, I'll just post all the things I've heard somebody complain about being OP.

Stuff PCs Do:

  • Gunslingers
  • Zen Archers
  • Witches w/Slumber
  • Witches w/o Slumber
  • Two handed Barbarians
  • Two Handed Fighters
  • Enchanters
  • Conjurors
  • Necromancers
  • Control Sorcerers
  • Paladins
  • Pageant of the Peacock
  • Swashbucklers
  • Druids w/animal companions
  • Bow-Rangers
  • Arcanists
  • Hunters
  • Ninjas
  • Characters w/High AC
  • Characters w/High HP
  • Characters w/Good Saves
  • Barbarians
  • Fighters
  • Monks
  • Summoners
  • Bomb Alchemists
  • Mutagen Alchemists
  • Battlefield Control Alchemists
  • Magi w/Shocking Grasp
  • Magi w/Snowball
  • Magi in general
  • Everything else from the ACG
  • Everything else from the APG
  • Everything Else from Ultimate Combat
  • Everything else from Ultimate Magic
  • Everything else from every splatbook ever
  • Show up to the table
  • And the Kitchen Sink.
  • I worked on Baird's review spreadsheet, so I've gotten some good insight into what players do and don't like.

    Stuff Writers Do:

  • Attempt to kill my character
  • Not attempt to kill my character

    (For simplicity's sake I boiled it down to the two main points)

  • /s

    Shadow Lodge

    The kitchen sink really is overpowered, I mean it's an improvised throwing weapon with a range of 15' and 1d6 damage!

    The Exchange Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Austin aka countchocula

    Dylos wrote:
    The kitchen sink really is overpowered, I mean it's an improvised throwing weapon with a range of 15' and 1d6 damage!

    Don't forget it's hardness :3

    Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

    Starfinder Charter Superscriber

    I can't think of any "obnoxious" PFS-specific rules. Everything is really manageable.

    The example in the Original Post about summoning is more a complaint about the PFRPG rules in general.

    Sometimes I wish we could get an answer to a particularly vexing question a bit faster, like everything involving these Faction changes, but sometimes questions are answered quickly, so I can't even say it's a regular complaint.

    Overall I'm really happy with PFS.

    Grand Lodge 4/5

    Nefreet wrote:

    I can't think of any "obnoxious" PFS-specific rules. Everything is really manageable.

    The example in the Original Post about summoning is more a complaint about the PFRPG rules in general.

    Sometimes I wish we could get an answer to a particularly vexing question a bit faster, like everything involving these Faction changes, but sometimes questions are answered quickly, so I can't even say it's a regular complaint.

    Overall I'm really happy with PFS.

    The OP is asking about rules that are legal for use in PFS that you find obnoxious, not PFS specific rules.

    Dark Archive

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    My top three:
    -That 7 player tables are allowed at all. 4-5 is the sweet spot. I am not keen on 6.
    -Guns.
    -Tech.

    Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

    5 people marked this as a favorite.
    Starfinder Charter Superscriber

    Oh, actually, I'll get on board with that.

    7 person tables.

    4-5 is great. 6 is okay. When you get to 7, it's either turn someone away, or force everyone else to play less. There is no win-win. Someone has to lose. And if that 7 person table includes Animal Companions, everyone loses. Including the GM.

    If tables were capped at 6, in the Guide, then everyone would be aware of it. If someone Waitlisted, they'd know in advance that they might not have a table to play at. And there wouldn't be that awkward discussion of whether to add them in or not.

    The Exchange 5/5

    Take 10?


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    nosig wrote:
    Take 10?

    Correction, Take 10 shirts.

    The Exchange 5/5

    Kyle Baird wrote:
    nosig wrote:
    Take 10?
    Correction, Take 10 shirts.

    LOL!

    I've started giving them away now.

    I ordered 10 (wink-wink) in different sizes and colors - and have given 5 away so far... so if you see someone in one, it might not be me! LOL!

    (I think I'll have to take another 10 - so I'll have more to give away as gifts!)

    5/5 Venture-Captain, Massachusetts—Central & West aka Harley Quinn X

    6 people marked this as a favorite.

    Dual-Cursed Oracles using a ability called Misfortune on their allies in hopes that they'll roll higher?

    5/5

    6 people marked this as a favorite.

    Good list Disk Elemental, although I disagree with two of the last three in the PC list.

    Really not sarcastic.

    Most obnoxious? SLA-as-prereqs.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    David Montgomery wrote:
    Dual-Cursed Oracles using a ability called Misfortune on their allies in hopes that they'll roll higher?

    Gotta remember this, thanks.

    Scarab Sages 2/5

    Grappling.

    Shadow Lodge

    Belabras wrote:
    Grappling.

    There's a flowchart for that, it helps tons.

    The Exchange 5/5

    Dylos wrote:
    Belabras wrote:
    Grappling.
    There's a flowchart for that, it helps tons.

    where?

    Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    Swarms.

    4/5

    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    The mask of stony demeanor.

    Breaks the magic item cost/creation guidelines so badly.

    Dark Archive

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    nosig wrote:
    Dylos wrote:
    Belabras wrote:
    Grappling.
    There's a flowchart for that, it helps tons.
    where?

    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat bottom right.

    Scarab Sages Venture-Agent, Washington—Ballard aka WiseWolfOfYoitsu

    Google Pathfinder Grappling flow chart, it's one of the first pictures under images. It's a 2 page (1 sheet) document. Super helpful!

    The Exchange

    EvilMinion wrote:

    The mask of stony demeanor.

    Breaks the magic item cost/creation guidelines so badly.

    But I love My +10 Bluff and my +5 to feint. Goes amazing with my +10 to Disquise as anyone I've met.

    Lantern Lodge

    Avatar-1 wrote:
    ** spoiler omitted **

    Can you provide a citation for that? I can provide you one directly to the contrary.

    Citation


    Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

    For me it would be tech and the inability to play non-neutral characters properly due to no pvp.

    5/5

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    David Montgomery wrote:
    Dual-Cursed Oracles using a ability called Misfortune on their allies in hopes that they'll roll higher?

    Turning an allies failed crit confirmation roll into a success certainly means someone is having a bad day.

    5/5

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Majuba wrote:

    Good list Disk Elemental, although I disagree with two of the last three in the PC list.

    Really not sarcastic.

    Most obnoxious? SLA-as-prereqs.

    Why would you object to making otherwise terrible PrC's into vaguely useful ones that might actually b worth taking?

    Sovereign Court 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    New players who pick a mechanically tricky class that they don't understand yet. Like a Brawler who flexibilizes into Dirty Trick while not understanding what Dirty Trick does. Or new players that pick a Summoner as their first PC ever.

    Can't-believe-they're-not-evil (Chaotic) Neutral BBEGs. (Paladin gripe.) It just feels like cheating.

    Dark Archive 4/5

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    GM's tell me they hate my intensified rime snowballs. But the same GM's when playing a scenario with me, say they love my rime intensified snowballs.

    Seems like a problem with their logic, not my snowballs.

    Silver Crusade

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Ascalaphus wrote:

    New players who pick a mechanically tricky class that they don't understand yet. Like a Brawler who flexibilizes into Dirty Trick while not understanding what Dirty Trick does. Or new players that pick a Summoner as their first PC ever.

    Can't-believe-they're-not-evil (Chaotic) Neutral BBEGs. (Paladin gripe.) It just feels like cheating.

    Sounds like you need a dip into Hellknight.

    Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Mythic

    Shadow Lodge

    trollbill wrote:
    Mythic

    Not exactly pfs legal, that's like saying performance combat.

    Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

    It's PFS legal in at least one adventure and there are multiple boons for getting limited access to it. There are also adventures that make use of Mythic monsters even though the PCs themselves aren't mythic. I am, of course, speaking as a GM. As a player, Mythic is only ever optional.

    Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

    Dylos wrote:
    trollbill wrote:
    Mythic
    Not exactly pfs legal, that's like saying performance combat.

    It's legal in certain cases, and certainly obnoxious to some in said case.

    Shadow Lodge

    trollbill wrote:
    It's PFS legal in at least one adventure and there are multiple boons for getting limited access to it. There are also adventures that make use of Mythic monsters even though the PCs themselves aren't mythic. I am, of course, speaking as a GM. As a player, Mythic is only ever optional.
    TriOmegaZero wrote:
    Dylos wrote:
    trollbill wrote:
    Mythic
    Not exactly pfs legal, that's like saying performance combat.
    It's legal in certain cases, and certainly obnoxious to some in said case.

    Performance combat is legal in at least one scenario as well, hence my comparison.

    Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northwest aka WalterGM

    5 people marked this as a favorite.

    Most obnoxious PFS rule: not being allowed to shave my VL.

    I have beardmares. Those are beard related nightmares.

    Sczarni 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Washington—Pullman aka Coraith

    8 people marked this as a favorite.

    Most obnoxious PFS rule: not being allowed to super glue an epic beard to my VCs face. I weep that he cannot experience the glory of having a sweet beard like mine.

    Shadow Lodge

    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Walter Sheppard wrote:
    I have beardmares. Those are beard related nightmares.

    Thanks for specifying, I thought they were an exotic type of horse.

    Lantern Lodge 5/5

    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    Most obnoxious?

    A table of 5-3-3-3-3 is obligated to play tier 1-2 in a "tier 1-5" season 0-3 scenario.

    Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northwest aka WalterGM

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Dylos wrote:
    Walter Sheppard wrote:
    I have beardmares. Those are beard related nightmares.
    Thanks for specifying, I thought they were a horrifying type of horse.

    FTFY

    Shadow Lodge

    Jayson MF Kip wrote:

    Most obnoxious?

    A table of 5-3-3-3-3 is obligated to play tier 1-2 in a "tier 1-5" season 0-3 scenario.

    If all the players wanted to play subtier 4-5 with circumstances like that, I'd be inclined to throw that "round the APL to the nearest whole number" rule to the wind. Only if they all wanted to do it and accepted the risk.

    There's little fun to be had in subtier 1-2 there; surely the rule didn't intend for this exceptional case.

    The one caveat is that level 3 characters get a good easy-mode from playing 1-2, only at the cost of losing out on the 4-5 chronicle items, which few people care about anyway. Same gold reward regardless of subtier.


    I do have another thing which is PFS legal and still surprises me to no end. Magic Jar. That spell is both horrifically evil and very powerful. It's also a plot breaker sometimes.

    1 to 50 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Most obnoxious PFS legal rules? All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.