2 Questions about 5-99: The Paths We Choose


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Okay we ran The Paths We Choose at our weekly Society game in Little Rock last night and I'm looking at the chronicle sheet for the game and I wanted a bit of clarification (just so I can be absolutely certain that I won't be a cheater maccheaty-face). And the second is about technical difficulties with reporting.

Question #1:
Boon #2 New Recruits: "Your faction's success enables it to recruit and train new members. You may designate one newly created PC under your Pathfinder Society number who shares your faction as a new recruit. This additional training grants that PC one of the faction's traits as a bonus trait, though the PC cannot have more than one faction trait. You must include a copy of this Chronicle sheet with the new PC's records, though that PC gains no additional boons, equipment, or wealth from this Chronicle sheet."

This means 1 new character of my choosing gets a third trait that has to be a faction trait right?

Question #2:
I'm also in charge of reporting the scenarios for our group and every time I select the scenario and hit 'Save Changes' or 'Update' it is deselected and so I'm having issues reporting the scenario. Is anyone else having this issue and possibly have a fix?

The Exchange 5/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Dallas & Ft. Worth aka Belafon

Traskus wrote:

Question #1:

Boon #2 New Recruits: "Your faction's success enables it to recruit and train new members. You may designate one newly created PC under your Pathfinder Society number who shares your faction as a new recruit. This additional training grants that PC one of the faction's traits as a bonus trait, though the PC cannot have more than one faction trait. You must include a copy of this Chronicle sheet with the new PC's records, though that PC gains no additional boons, equipment, or wealth from this Chronicle sheet."

This means 1 new character of my choosing gets a third trait that has to be a faction trait right?

Yes. And it has to be the same faction as the character who received credit for 5-99.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Belafon wrote:
Traskus wrote:

Question #1:

Boon #2 New Recruits: "Your faction's success enables it to recruit and train new members. You may designate one newly created PC under your Pathfinder Society number who shares your faction as a new recruit. This additional training grants that PC one of the faction's traits as a bonus trait, though the PC cannot have more than one faction trait. You must include a copy of this Chronicle sheet with the new PC's records, though that PC gains no additional boons, equipment, or wealth from this Chronicle sheet."

This means 1 new character of my choosing gets a third trait that has to be a faction trait right?

Yes. And it has to be the same faction as the character who received credit for 5-99.

This carries over to the new faction right? I played my Taldan Tower Shield Specialist, so I would make a new Sovereign Court character to apply this boon to?

5/5

Technically, if you played a Taldan character, he was already automatically a Sovereign Court character, unless you used your "once in Season Six" free faction change.

{So yes, it carries over}

Silver Crusade 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—San Francisco Bay Area South & West aka Wendy-Ann

Traskus wrote:

Okay we ran The Paths We Choose at our weekly Society game in Little Rock last night and I'm looking at the chronicle sheet for the game and I wanted a bit of clarification (just so I can be absolutely certain that I won't be a cheater maccheaty-face). And the second is about technical difficulties with reporting.

Question #2:
I'm also in charge of reporting the scenarios for our group and every time I select the scenario and hit 'Save Changes' or 'Update' it is deselected and so I'm having issues reporting the scenario. Is anyone else having this issue and possibly have a fix?

We are having the same problem, it is a known problem and I'm sure the Paizo web crew are working on it. You can work around it by adding a season 5 or earlier scenario as well as 5-99 and just ignore that scenario when you are reporting.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5

Majuba wrote:
Technically, if you played a Taldan character, he was already automatically a Sovereign Court character, unless you used your "once in Season Six" free faction change.

I'm playing this on Sunday. My character sheet currently reads "Cheliax" (I haven't played yet this season) and don't know which of the new factions is the best fit for me (I'm hoping I'll have a clearer picture of the new factions after The Paths We Choose). Until I make my free factions change (which I understand can be done at anytime during the season?), will I be playing as Dark Archive? Or by playing as Dark Archive, does that count as my free faction change? What if I get assigned to a table that isn't running the Dark Archive mission?

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Washington—Seattle aka The Great Rinaldo!

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Unless you choose to change to something else with your free change, you will automatically be playing as Dark Archive. And by your presence, the table will be doing that mission (unless you end up with more than 3 factions at the table, which your organizer should be doing their best to avoid).

5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yes, what Tony said. You can think of it as getting two faction changes - one automatically to your 'matching' new faction, then one at your option at any time (including before ever playing with your new faction).

Grand Lodge

Slight thread jacking here but...

Any advice on how to actually limit the number of factions of the people who sign up? I run most of my games lately online and use warhorn for signups. There is no place in warhorn to list your character's faction so I wont even know what factions are present until I email the people who signed up (and heck, half the time, people wont even put their class or level in). Then I have to somehow tell the 4th (and potentially 5th and 6th) person that signed up, sorry, because the first 3 that signed up all had different factions? I am leaning towards not even bothering trying to run this at this point.

5/5

I would suggest either only running it two or more tables at a time, or have a way to know what factions are signing up and the first three who sign up are the only ones allowed.

I'd suggest modifying the Warhorn entry to say anyone signing up must email you their faction or their signup is null. Once you have the three factions, modify it again to list the factions.

Or plan to run it twice, and pick two sets of three factions (that are roughly as popular) and list them in the first place.


Belafon wrote:
Traskus wrote:

This means 1 new character of my choosing gets a third trait that has to be a faction trait right?

So does that mean you take a faction trait and make it like a trait for your character's race, and then you can stack the faction trait on top of it?

I don't quite understand how that works.

4/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Minnesota—St. Louis Park aka BretI

Golgathar wrote:
Belafon wrote:
Traskus wrote:

This means 1 new character of my choosing gets a third trait that has to be a faction trait right?

So does that mean you take a faction trait and make it like a trait for your character's race, and then you can stack the faction trait on top of it?

I don't quite understand how that works.

It has nothing to do with the character race. Racial traits are different than traits.

On the new character, you pick your normal two traits allowed, plus a third trait that must come from the faction traits listed in Guide to Organized Play for the faction of the sponsoring character.

My understanding is that the new character, since it started in Season 6, doesn't get a free faction change. No starting Silver Crusade and immediately switching to Dark Archives.

Since it is weird, I would suggest making a copy of the 5-99 scenario sheet and bringing both with you to that first session for the recruit so that the GM can fill it out.

5/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

This scenario should be repeatable, but only on members of a different faction.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / 2 Questions about 5-99: The Paths We Choose All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.