Season 6 Lasers?


Pathfinder Society

51 to 91 of 91 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

trollbill wrote:
Summoned Creature wrote:
trollbill wrote:
I was kind of hoping for a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

[pedant]

Think you intended megawatt or at least kilowatt. A measly 40 watts is a not very bright light bulb. Lasers in that range are used for rather slow part marking. Even if you pulsed the beam it's not going to do much damage.
[/pedant]
You, sir, have failed your Knowledge (nerd) check. I intended to say exactly what I said since I was referencing a particular line from a movie. Mistwalker gave a mostly correct response [+1 to Mistwalker]. The exact correct response would have been "Hey, just what you see, pal!"

AHA! No! Please don't take away my nerd card. I'm still a nerd I swear it. I'm just a different kind of nerd! I read obscure books in stead of watching movies. Very, very nerdy I promise.

The Exchange 5/5

trollbill wrote:
Fromper wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Umm, no. I don't know this Might and Magic stuff, because I've never been much of a video gamer, but I just googled it, and I played AD&D 1st edition with lasers and robots before that video game. Deusvalt already provided the link, above.

If you want to go back even further then that I recall an old The Strategic Review (precursor to Dragon Magazine) article on using WWII weapons in D&D. It was a very intriguing article describing how the author had used the rules to get his D&D buddies and his wargaming buddies to play a game against each other without either group initially knowing the other group was playing a different game.

"...you shot a Troll with a Panzerfaust..."

that was a great article. It inspired several games where my regular group did much the same thing - but with WWII Japanesse Troops and an EHP.

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

1 person marked this as a favorite.
nosig wrote:
trollbill wrote:
Fromper wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Umm, no. I don't know this Might and Magic stuff, because I've never been much of a video gamer, but I just googled it, and I played AD&D 1st edition with lasers and robots before that video game. Deusvalt already provided the link, above.

If you want to go back even further then that I recall an old The Strategic Review (precursor to Dragon Magazine) article on using WWII weapons in D&D. It was a very intriguing article describing how the author had used the rules to get his D&D buddies and his wargaming buddies to play a game against each other without either group initially knowing the other group was playing a different game.

"...you shot a Troll with a Panzerfaust..."

that was a great article. It inspired several games where my regular group did much the same thing - but with WWII Japanesse Troops and an EHP.

Indeed. That article inspired me to run a campaign where the party was a multi-national WWII unit that got transported to a D&D world and had to deal with limited ammo and fuel. I also used this when one of my D&D groups jumped into a Well of Many Worlds and ended up on Guadalcanal.

God, we're old.

Silver Crusade

Victor Zajic wrote:
The Fox wrote:
I love chocolate in my peanut butter. But I am going to be avoiding Season 6 scenarios for a while because I don't want to risk any more spoilers to the Iron Gods AP I'm playing in.
If Season 5 is any example, PFS is very careful to avoid spoilers for the AP the season is linked too.

The first time one of my characters fights a robot, or picks up an energy weapon, or experiences a glitch, etc., I want that to be in the AP.

Grand Lodge

FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Take heart! you are not alone...

Although we might be the only 2 here...

oh well...

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, New York—Manhattan aka Natertot

Dumagand Bal'tok wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Take heart! you are not alone...

Although we might be the only 2 here...

oh well...

Don't forget the Gamma World Cross Over rules in the Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters (1st edition) Guide.

Grand Lodge

ElyasRavenwood wrote:

I for one am not excited to see any laser guns in PFS. In my opinion that stuff should stay in Numeria and be isolated to the Iron Gods adventure path. But that is just my opinion. The less robots the better.

On the other hand, I am curious about the Technology guide, and I am interested in at least perusing the Iron Gods adventure path. I most likely won't run it, the majority of my friends don't like the "feel" of it, but who knows I may be surprised. I'll take a look at it. While I don't want any gravity bombs or lasers in my fantasy games, If I say wanted to run a "john Carter of Mars" type game on Akiton, the Technology guide would allow me to do so. So I'm glad it's being published. But I would prefer its contents not be in PFS.

I have played most PFS scenarios, GMed allot too...in addition to being a VO for a few years. ( I have just stepped down because I moved). So if I continue to see lots of technology which I would prefer not to see, like laser guns grenades etc, It may be time for me to play and GM PFS little less, and play a little more in home games. Heck with 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons out, this might give me a nudge to check that game out and give it a try.

PFS has to cater to a wide audience, I realize that. And if I find there is too much Numerian Tech infesting PFS, perhaps it is time to take a year off. Perhaps not. I'm going to wait and see. I'm not going to throw my hands up think the world is ending and go off in a huff. I'm going to take my time see what the scenarios that are being put out are like, and If there is isn't enough tech stuff to really irritate me and I like the story....I'll stick around. If I find there is too much tech stuff....well I will wish people well, and let others enjoy their lasers.

From the ones I've seen so far, it might be tenuous for the initial period, a bit of havoc. I do not see that's the season will be completely ruined by a small amount of tech, but you have a point, if it floods in without anything to check it at the source, it might make PFS a little overwrought.

Either way, with Iron Gods, that should sate the hunger of the tech driven amongst us... if not there is always game time at home...

Grand Lodge

Natertot wrote:
Dumagand Bal'tok wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Take heart! you are not alone...

Although we might be the only 2 here...

oh well...

Don't forget the Gamma World Cross Over rules in the Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters (1st edition) Guide.

My word!

How did I forget that... You've shamed me, Natertot... not your fault however... my useless memory!!

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

Natertot wrote:
Dumagand Bal'tok wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Take heart! you are not alone...

Although we might be the only 2 here...

oh well...

Don't forget the Gamma World Cross Over rules in the Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters (1st edition) Guide.

Where those the ones that gave Gamma World Characters no Magic Resistance (not 0% magic resistance but no magic resistance which meant no saves) and D&D characters no Radiation Resistance? It changed the phrase "Save or Die," to simply "Die."

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, New York—Manhattan aka Natertot

trollbill wrote:
Natertot wrote:
Dumagand Bal'tok wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Take heart! you are not alone...

Although we might be the only 2 here...

oh well...

Don't forget the Gamma World Cross Over rules in the Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters (1st edition) Guide.

Where those the ones that gave Gamma World Characters no Magic Resistance (not 0% magic resistance but no magic resistance which meant no saves) and D&D characters no Radiation Resistance? It changed the phrase "Save or Die," to simply "Die."

TB,

Something like that, I would have to pull out the book to look, which I don't have with me.

Nate

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

Summoned Creature wrote:
trollbill wrote:
Summoned Creature wrote:
trollbill wrote:
I was kind of hoping for a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

[pedant]

Think you intended megawatt or at least kilowatt. A measly 40 watts is a not very bright light bulb. Lasers in that range are used for rather slow part marking. Even if you pulsed the beam it's not going to do much damage.
[/pedant]
You, sir, have failed your Knowledge (nerd) check. I intended to say exactly what I said since I was referencing a particular line from a movie. Mistwalker gave a mostly correct response [+1 to Mistwalker]. The exact correct response would have been "Hey, just what you see, pal!"
AHA! No! Please don't take away my nerd card. I'm still a nerd I swear it. I'm just a different kind of nerd! I read obscure books in stead of watching movies. Very, very nerdy I promise.

Very well. You are forgiven. As penance you must recite 3 Itsonlyafleshwounds, 5 Thesearentthedroidsyouarelookingfors, and 1 Allyourbasearebelongtous.

Liberty's Edge

CigarPete wrote:
There is a laser pistol available for purchase in at least one chronicle sheet. That said, the weapon in question has extremely limited uses and is pretty expensive. They exist, but I don't expect to see much of them on PC sheets.

Yeah there is! CMIX blast a bad guy with it during the scenario even, despite the -4 proficiency penalty even!

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Barrier Peaks somewhat predates Might & Magic

I'm plenty old enough to remember both.

Liberty's Edge

David Neilson wrote:
it felt that the Worldwound and demon fighting were a little slower to get up to speed.

You sir must not have fought at Nerosyan at the Siege of Diamond City. It didn't seem to come on slow to those of us who were there.

One minute we were sitting around discussing Wayfinders and the life of the Murderhobo, and the next we're fighting for our very lives against the hordes of demondom!

CMIX has seen some crap my friend, oh yes. Brave Pathfinders torn limb from limb, and then eaten.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Next year had better be flint knives and bear skins to even it out.

I understand it will include an AP which will have in the process of the storyline a challenge to create a computerized reading device using the technology of 1930's New York.

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

2 people marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Next year had better be flint knives and bear skins to even it out.
I understand it will include an AP which will have in the process of the storyline a challenge to create a computerized reading device using the technology of 1930's New York.

Not unless they want to be sued by Harlan Ellison. And you know he'll do it.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
trollbill wrote:
LazarX wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Next year had better be flint knives and bear skins to even it out.
I understand it will include an AP which will have in the process of the storyline a challenge to create a computerized reading device using the technology of 1930's New York.
Not unless they want to be sued by Harlan Ellison. And you know he'll do it.

If they make Trooper an important NPC ally, Ellison will kiss their feet.

Sczarni

Rene Ayala wrote:

We'll soon see Dire Sharks with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads?

Maybe we'll also experience debates with the Venture Captain who sent us out on who shot first?

I doubt we will see any sharks with laser beams. They will most likely just be ill tempered sea bass. :P


Zahir ibn Mahmoud ibn Jothan wrote:
FiddlersGreen wrote:

Laser pistols and blasters have been a part of the fantasy genre since the Might and Magic rpg series. Get with the program, you nay-sayers! XD

Hopefully I'm not the only person around here old enough to remember that series!

Disclaimer: this comment is meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Barrier Peaks somewhat predates Might & Magic

I'm plenty old enough to remember both.

THAT WAS IT!

I remembered the basic storyline of the crashed ship in the mountains (sound familiar?) but I couldn't remember the name 'Expedition to the Barrier Peaks'. Thanks.

I may have to find a copy of that just for the nostalgia. Looking back, I bet it was pretty horrible, but we loved that as kids.

5/5

Just played my first season 6, and. I have to give kudos to the Paizo team for adding technology without turning PFS into sci-fi. There was a real air of mystery to the scenario (6-01), the technology aspects were flavorful without being too common, and some of the issues we faced were terrifying in a suspenseful way - my PC may not have understood everything, but as a player, *I* knew what [redacted] meant, and it scared the bejeebers out of me!

As a guy who really wasn't looking forward to Numeria stuff, I was very impressed with the treatment and look forward to other scenarios. Well done!

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Huh. I just ran #6-01 myself, and had the opposite experience. People couldn't stop making Star Trek references, and most of them agreed there was too much tech.

I guess it depends on your group.

Lantern Lodge

I just hope there will be an Archtype or PC that allows you to make a Construct and have it work like an AC but only robotic.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All my new PC's are monks so they can dodge lasers!


I'd like to get my hands on a laser pistol but not use it until two or three years down the line, when the PFS season has long moved on from tech and most tech items people have bought have run out.

Cue #8-02: "The Dragon's Evil Tower Lair of Evil"

GM: The dragon leers at you, having snapped your musket in half in its powerful jaws. It's your turn, what do you do?

Me: I pull out my laser pistol and shoot it.

*Cue a flabbergasted GM making triple sure my chronicle sheet allows me to have it*

The Exchange

Lazers, not a big deal really........fun adventure, but plasma skellies......are you for reals, they are gross. By gross I mean really pack a whallop.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento aka FLite

1 person marked this as a favorite.

This argument has been going on for a very long time.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I've played the first two lazer scenarios and had a blast. I guess I'm part of the target audience.

Grand Lodge

Rene Ayala wrote:
Maybe we'll also experience debates with the Venture Captain who sent us out on who shot first?

Drandle Dreng shot first.

Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

*ducks for cover*

Liberty's Edge

Nefreet wrote:

Huh. I just ran #6-01 myself, and had the opposite experience. People couldn't stop making Star Trek references, and most of them agreed there was too much tech.

I guess it depends on your group.

Well, also to be fair, the area that this adventure takes place in was created with all that technology on purpose. I am totally expecting to go into this one and shift worlds essentially. I am looking forward to it.

Also, as has probably been explained, the Laser Pistol is an interesting novelty at best. It only has somewhere around 7 shots, and can only be refilled by a banned archtype, or a banned prestige class. Ontop of that, the weapon is really not that great for anything higher than level 7. It does pure fire damage of the 1d8+1 variety. So if you bring it into Season 5, or a good portion of Season 4 it will be sitting in its holster.

Really cool novelty to say the least...just not exceptionally effective, and requires feats to utilize properly, and hopefully not glitch out.

The Exchange 5/5

FLite wrote:
This argument has been going on for a very long time.

I have been waiting for someone to post a link for that comic sense the start of this thread!

Thank you sir!

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

TriOmegaZero wrote:
I've played the first two lazer scenarios and had a blast. I guess I'm part of the target audience.

I see what you did there.

And I'm kind of disappointed in the rest of the community for not getting it already. ;)

Shadow Lodge 5/5

Right?

I felt bad about one-shotting the BBEG of 6-01 when I was playing down. I really expected to need that enlarged-power attack combo to handle him.

Grand Lodge

How soon Expedition to Barrier Peaks is forgotten (Module S3 I believe from 1st edition AD&D), came out in 1975. Laser guns in d20 really are not a new thing.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

Hey, I already forgot the new TMNT movie and that came out this summer.

No wait, guess I didn't.

The Exchange 5/5

YoshuaG wrote:
How soon Expedition to Barrier Peaks is forgotten (Module S3 I believe from 1st edition AD&D), came out in 1975. Laser guns in d20 really are not a new thing.

bah! Played Empire of the Petal Throne in 1975-76 and Laser guns were in that fantasy setting.

Empire of the Petal Throne:

Empire of the Petal Throne, set in the Tékumel fictional universe, and first published in 1975 by TSR, Inc. In this imaginary world, huge, tradition-bound empires with medieval levels of technology vie for control using magic, large standing armies, and ancient technological devices.

And even played crossover games of Gama World and D&D... Demons with Mutations!

Expedition to Barrier Peaks was just re-hashing old stuff...

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

nosig wrote:
YoshuaG wrote:
How soon Expedition to Barrier Peaks is forgotten (Module S3 I believe from 1st edition AD&D), came out in 1975. Laser guns in d20 really are not a new thing.

bah! Played Empire of the Petal Throne in 1975-76 and Laser guns were in that fantasy setting.

Ah, Tekumel and its magical eyes. Its been a very long time.

Quote:
And even played crossover games of Gama World and D&D... Demons with Mutations!

Bah, Gamma World is new school. I much preferred Metamorphosis Alpha's setting.

The Exchange 5/5

trollbill wrote:
nosig wrote:
YoshuaG wrote:
How soon Expedition to Barrier Peaks is forgotten (Module S3 I believe from 1st edition AD&D), came out in 1975. Laser guns in d20 really are not a new thing.

bah! Played Empire of the Petal Throne in 1975-76 and Laser guns were in that fantasy setting.

Ah, Tekumel and its magical eyes. Its been a very long time.

Quote:
And even played crossover games of Gama World and D&D... Demons with Mutations!
Bah, Gamma World is new school. I much preferred Metamorphosis Alpha's setting.

LOL!

I have always figured that the Silver Mount is just a "Starship Warden" from Metamorphosis Alpha that crashed...

1/5

I'm not exactly thrilled with tech, but that won't stop me from playing tech-heavy scenarios.

I will, however, refrain from running tech-heavy scenarios until a reasonable adjustment is made to the guide to organized play w/ respect to Tech and the Technologist feat. Which isn't really an issue, as there are any number of other scenarios I can run. :)


Laser pistols aren't going to be a very attractive option unless a later chronicle sheet makes ammunition available.

10gp a shot is much more palatable than 500gp a shot.

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

Ring_of_Gyges wrote:

Laser pistols aren't going to be a very attractive option unless a later chronicle sheet makes ammunition available.

10gp a shot is much more palatable than 500gp a shot.

I don't think they are meant to be mechanically attractive as I don't think they want everyone in PFS running around shooting things with a laser anymore than most of us do. I think it's intended to be attractive from a mostly 'cool' aspect, like bow ties and fezzes.


All you kids saying lasers have been in the genre for a long time are so cute. Back in my day the bad guys all carried ray guns. RAY guns I say!
Lasers? Sheesh how 1960's of you.

51 to 91 of 91 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Season 6 Lasers? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Society