What AP would you like to see next? 2016 / 17 edition


Pathfinder Adventure Path General Discussion

101 to 150 of 1,133 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I feel like I'm the only person that wants a colonial Arcadia adventure now... I have run one, which included the less than savory themes.

Course it crashed and burned so maybe that's telling me something...


Odraude wrote:

I feel like I'm the only person that wants a colonial Arcadia adventure now... I have run one, which included the less than savory themes.

Course it crashed and burned so maybe that's telling me something...

Oh, we can totally have a colonial AP. I just want to be the Arcadians, not the Avistans. There is nothing heroic that I can see about taking part in colonizing an inhabited continent.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Dustin Ashe wrote:
Odraude wrote:

I feel like I'm the only person that wants a colonial Arcadia adventure now... I have run one, which included the less than savory themes.

Course it crashed and burned so maybe that's telling me something...

Oh, we can totally have a colonial AP. I just want to be the Arcadians, not the Avistans. There is nothing heroic that I can see about taking part in colonizing an inhabited continent.

Well, how I ran it is that the setting I run is essentially Age of Sail Caribbean. It has native kingdoms based on the Taino and Carib peoples with a lot of liberties taken, as well as colonists that invaded more deserted islands before being beaten into a stalemate after a hundred years of war. There is one deserted island that I used as the base colony by both colonists and the natives. Of course, it was inhabited by drow and lizardfolk, but the players didn't kick them off their lands and were in warm relations with them. Better with the drow.

Course, when I run, I don't really shy away from mature topics like slavery. But, I never show them in a positive light and many times, I don't dwell on them. It's always counter balanced by goodly people that help the players. And ultimately, if people aren't comfortable with it, I dial it back even more.

One day I'll have to upload my document with the information.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Dustin Ashe wrote:


In that vein, here is a list of things I don't want to see:

* an Arcadia AP that assumes that the PCs are Avistan
* an AP that depicts Arcadia as a vast, resource-rich wilderness only sparsely populated
* an AP filled with "good" Arcadians who welcome the Avistan settlers and learn their ways (see: noble savage trope) and "bad" Arcadians who fight against them
* any depiction of natives' cannibalism (largely a disproved myth created by whites)
* any subtle hint that Arcadians are inherently inferior to their Avistan counterparts
* civilizing the savages (bringing wayfinders, Abadar, and firearms to the masses)
* blanket statements about Arcadians in general

I think I'm pretty much on board for all of these, with some caveats.

1) While I think an AP shouldn't *assume* that the PCs are from Avistan, I think it should be open to the possibility, just like it should be open to the possibility of Arcadian PCs. We shouldn't be forced to one side or the other.

2) I agree that Arcadia shouldn't be presented as sparsely-populated (and thus, justify that it's "wide open for the taking"), and indeed it should be presented as largely occupied by the native peoples, BUT I don't think the land should be presented as exactly 100% occupied. It should indeed be tightly occupied, but there should be a few small areas here and there where people from Avistan could settle. An isolated island group or peninsula or something.

Otherwise I think I'm pretty much on board.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I can dig it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Can we move the anti-colonialism into its own thread? I almost forgot which thread this is.

In the Giantslayer thread, Rob mentioned he is all about an Orc vs. Dwarves AP, I would love to have had this in Feb to go with the release of the last Hobbit, but I will take it later, too!


i dunno Kairos, we haven't even gotten to the "is iomedae really lawful good or lawful jerk" derailment yet:)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

YOU FOOL!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?!!!??!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

First what I would like to see.
1. Distant worlds
2. Arcadia/azlant/Casmoran-vudra
3. Geb and Nex
4. Strange environment darklands/underwater.

Azlant-undersea would work well together.

Next what I think they will choose based on past history.

#18 Will be experimental in nature following 2 traditional AP's Possibly something outside the inner sea region. I would guess Vudra since announcement next summer will coincide with release of the new Occult Book.

#19 Back to traditional and back to Innersea maybe Absalom and the much asked for urban AP.

#20 Will be something different/experimental this is the one we can influence the most hopefully they will give us something in a new area this could coincide with a cool hardcover about the rest of Golarion.

#21 This will be the 10th anniversary of pathfinder and they will go back to their roots and revisit Varisa and another runelord.


1. Kaer Maga

2. Arcadia

3. Another Kingmaker/sandbox AP

4. Aucturn Enigma, the invasion of Golarion. Oh wait, isn't that for 2018? I'll pick Mythic Geb/Nex instead.


well i certainly wouldn't care for a Distant Worlds Space Invasion, i would not like a distant worlds space invasion at all.
in fact i would like it less then an adventure path set in Galt, which i also do not want.

so to reiterate i do not want a distant worlds space invasion adventure path


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lithrac wrote:

1. Kaer Maga

2. Arcadia

3. Another Kingmaker/sandbox AP

4. Aucturn Enigma, the invasion of Golarion. Oh wait, isn't that for 2018? I'll pick Mythic Geb/Nex instead.

Kaer Maga...yes!!!


1) Great Beyond
2) Taldor
3) Nex
4) aquatic

Shadow Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.

WHO IS FOR THE STEAMPUNK ADVENTURE, IF YOU ARE +1 THIS POST

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

well i certainly wouldn't care for a Distant Worlds Space Invasion, i would not like a distant worlds space invasion at all.

in fact i would like it less then an adventure path set in Galt, which i also do not want.

so to reiterate i do not want a distant worlds space invasion adventure path

neither do I


There is some discussion about doing an Evil PC AP at some point in the future in the Know Direction AP podcast (around the 23 minute mark).

In sum: It's something that's not entirely off the table, but like many things, would require the right pieces are in place.

Also, there has been talk about doing something with hobgoblins at some point (Rob is a big fan of them).


Aboleths.

Sovereign Court

LASTWALL!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Is it too much to ask for a real horror adventure?

Like, real atmosphere, like they pulled off in Skinsaw Murders and Seven Days to the Grave? None of this campy monster-movie stuff Carrion Crown tries to do.

I'm talking Castle Ravenloft style. Really, gritty horror that players and GMs can really get lost in.

Far as I'm concerned, no other setting matters until they get that nailed down.

And please, never do a Kingmaker adventure again. Ever.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

The problem there, is the only thing stopping Carrion Crown from being a "real horror" adventure is the group playing it. Atmosphere is almost entirely dependent on the players and GM working together to create it. For example, my usual group tends to have a lot of table talk and laughing, this isn't bad, for us, but it makes horror essentially non-starter no matter how the AP is written.


I am hoping for an AP or a PFS year that has a classic feel. Perhaps something with dragons, drow, orcs, or giants.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
GM Harpwizard wrote:
I am hoping for an AP or a PFS year that has a classic feel. Perhaps something with dragons, drow, orcs, or giants.

Well in 2015 you are getting Orcs AND Giants in Giantslayer...

Shadow Lodge

who wants steampunk or lovecraftian?


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I want sword and planet, steampunk, lovecraft, Tarzan/jungle girl, Sherlock Holmes, rescue the princess(or save the dragon), fight/awaken the kaiju, exploration, psychic adventures, Asian adventures, native American(north and south), African, first world, Alice in Wonderland, Gulliver's Travels, H. G. Wells, Australia, India, under the sea, and much, much more.


Mwangi Hexploration please.


i dont want an Occult Adventures adventure path


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I'd like to see an Adventure Path make usage of Ultimate Campaign subsystems. Like hexploration and owning store fronts.

Shadow Lodge

captain yesterday wrote:
i dont want an Occult Adventures adventure path

do you mean you dont want an occult adventure path?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

- Evil PC ap.

- PC as monsters AP.

- Nirmathas / Molthune (kinda has two possibilities).

- Arcadia: the natives "colonize" an unsettled area (and find out why no one live there in the first place).

- "Steampunk".

- Dragon Empire AP (start there and stay there).

- Horror AP (can be mixed with Steampunk, Evil PC and/or PC are monsters).

Shadow Lodge

Guy St-Amant wrote:

- Evil PC ap.

- PC as monsters AP.

- Nirmathas / Molthune (kinda has two possibilities).

- Arcadia: the natives "colonize" an unsettled area (and find out why no one live there in the first place).

- "Steampunk".

- Dragon Empire AP (start there and stay there).

- Horror AP (can be mixed with Steampunk, Evil PC and/or PC are monsters).

I am all for steampunk and horror APs


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Squeakmaan wrote:
The problem there, is the only thing stopping Carrion Crown from being a "real horror" adventure is the group playing it. Atmosphere is almost entirely dependent on the players and GM working together to create it. For example, my usual group tends to have a lot of table talk and laughing, this isn't bad, for us, but it makes horror essentially non-starter no matter how the AP is written.

That's a cop-out. No, Carrion Crown is genuinely badly written. It's just a bunch of campy horror movies, because no matter how hard the DM works, you can't make Frankenstein scary.

Skinsaw Murders did it just fine through straight up creepy factor and providing situations that are easy to sell. Carrion Crown never manages to do this, nor does it ever really try.

Yeah, with enough work, I can make Skulls and Shackles into a "horror" campaign, but it's not an excuse to not just write a real one that's designed for it.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

YMMV then, because I quite enjoyed Carrion Crown, but I have to take issue with saying Frankenstein can't be made scary. Frankenstein was so scary that it invented an entirely new genre.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The big problem with a 'Horror' AP is that genuinely fearsome 'horror' requires ingredients that are very difficult to provide in Pathfinder, uncertainty & a sense of being out of one's element. These are very difficult to maintain over an entire AP. In retrospct, the fact that Carrion Crown shifted so often from one Genre to another over the AP is actually a feature if attempting to maintain these qualities. If I ever wind up running it for a group that really enjoys horror, I think I will do more to ramp up the confusion potential inherent, give the PC's reason to expect one thing when it is really another, that sort of thing...

Shadow Lodge

Squeakmaan wrote:
YMMV then, because I quite enjoyed Carrion Crown, but I have to take issue with saying Frankenstein can't be made scary. Frankenstein was so scary that it invented an entirely new genre.

Carrion crown is my favorite AP too and I never even played it, I just read the players guide and was so happy (and I sorta own a copy of wake of the watcher)


equinoxmaster wrote:
Squeakmaan wrote:
YMMV then, because I quite enjoyed Carrion Crown, but I have to take issue with saying Frankenstein can't be made scary. Frankenstein was so scary that it invented an entirely new genre.
Carrion crown is my favorite AP too and I never even played it, I just read the players guide and was so happy (and I sorta own a copy of wake of the watcher)

WotW aside, CC was more "annoying" than scary.


I know this thread was for wishlists for new Adventure Paths, but talk above over the last couple of days (combined with some of my own ideas from further back, and character concepts I have been developing on my page) got me to thinking about potential for making some of the existing (that is, already out) Adventure Paths do some of what I want (but also still looking towards future Adventure Paths):

If Carrion Crown isn't optimal for classic horror (depending upon what you mean by that), go for full-on camp. For a character concept, I was thinking of a REALLY DUMB character, but he's not your stereotypical Big Stupid Fighter/Barbarian, but a political type, for playing to the mobs . . . now that's REALLY SCARY . . . Build Human Celebrity Bard possibly transitioning into Noble Scion, or maybe to get even more frightening (in the form of Mad Cowboy Disease), some type of Gunslinger (maybe Mysterious Stranger reskinned as a Mad Cowboy) possibly transitioning into Noble Scion. Actually, that's pretty horrifying, just not in the classic way.

For Skull & Shackles, I definitely don't want a to play a character who is going into piracy for profit or for some romanticized idea of piracy, but I do have interest in playing a character who is getting into it for a greater purpose, for instance, an infiltration mission. In another thread, I asked about this, but people in that thread were pretty negative about it, leading me to wonder if Skull & Shackles IS already the Evil PC Adventure Path. Similarly, if an Evil PC Adventure Path were to be released in the future, I would want it to be possible to adapt it to non-Evil PCs without a huge amount of rewriting.

For Mummy's Mask, I have the weird idea of a character who is interested in (and has acquired skills to make a plausible attempt at) starting the Andoren Geographic Society. This character has the weird idea of making this work by befriending the local authorities, by bucking the general trend of legalized-looter-style tomb-raiding, and instead cataloging everything very thoroughly and transparently to the authorities for local curation (preferred), and (if possible and needed as a failsafe) arranging for that which cannot be curated safely in the local area to be shipped back to a trusted museum in Andoran. Of course, I would still even more like to see a future Adventure Path set in Andoran, part of which involves establishing the Andoran Geographic Society, possibly as a reaction goaded by the massive plundering (substantially enabled by the Pathfinder Society) that occurred during Mummy's Mask.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

1. Distant worlds; When the planets align Rovagug will be released upon the world. Work with astronomers and either teleport to Akiton or fly there in a space ship of some kind to blow up whatever device is there that could set the destroyer free. Quite literally a free reign to hit a worm hole and send the party to another planet or even into the Diaspora.

2. Dragon Empires; With the Jade Regent in place the real movers and shakers begin to move and begin the process of reawakening several ancient oni. Oni that could bring the world down should the (insert multiple or singular artifacts of ancient power here) be restored.

3. The Great Beyond; I want planescape... that's really about it for that idea.

4. Kyonin and the First World; Work with Queen Telandia Edasseril and do some fey stuff. I feel like the elves don't have much flavor in Golarion and their queen could use a rewrite.


I would like to see an AP that takes entirely place inside one super dungeon. It will never, ever, ever, ever happen but there you have it. Give me undermountain in golarion and make it an AP.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In decreasing order of likelihood, my picks are:

1) The Dawnflower Heresy. I know that they aren't likely to touch Qadira vs. Taldor until they get the mass combat rules tweaked to their liking, but a good housecleaning wouldn't magically undo the effects of centuries of conflict.

2) A "Dungeons & Dragons" AP. By this, I mean the cartoon. The story opens with the PCs taken to another planet, probably Castrovel or Akiton, and try to get home. Of course, the big concern would be making sure that they couldn't get home until the story is over.

Oh, the iconics would be Harsk, Amiri, Ezren, Merisiel, Alain, and Sajan.

3) An AP set on Golarion that doesn't spend any time in the Inner Sea region. Jade Regent didn't so much scratch my itch as feed my hunger. I really do think we'll get this eventually, but it will probably be some way down the line.

Also, if they ever do an evil AP, I would want it to be in the vein of The Redemption Engine. That way, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to a non-evil party.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Before I get into this, horror does not have to involve terror elements to be considered "true horror".

Askren wrote:
...because no matter how hard the DM works, you can't make Frankenstein scary.

Frankenstein's only dull if you know what to expect.

Offhand, I would handle the Frankenstein story like this:


  • begin with a local bogeyman, an urban myth
  • GM avoids dropping piles of corpses for the party to find and settles on rumors instead
  • casually have one or two NPCs remark that they normally do something else, but since someone hasn't shown up for work recently they have to pitch in
  • before letting the players think about missing townsfolk, provide a mundane distraction (solving a robbery, for instance) that leads to the party wandering the streets after dark or watching for the culprit to reveal themselves
  • during the above activity, carefully tease the party with a glimpse of the bogeyman in the distance (preferably wearing enough old sheets to mimic hooded robes), but just close enough to notice something unsettling
  • complicate the mundane concern and keep the players concerned about their current task
  • have a few missing citizens return to work; some are healthier than before and some are worse off
  • continue to drop rumors and truths surrounding the bogeyman without dwelling on it for too long
  • involve the overreacher (a chirurgeon alchemist) that created the bogeyman in resolving the mundane problem and mention a haunted look or slightly paranoid behavior
  • resolve the mundane problem and draw attention to an NPC's obvious-yet-repressed physical pain
  • further attention reveals that the NPC has had some unexplained surgery recently and can't account for several days of lost time
  • have the party bring the matter to the local alchemist-and-healer-and-bogeyman-creator; the alchemist either pays little attention and dismisses concerns or displays more fear and shock than the occasion warrants
  • bogeyman sighting after hours
  • another missing person returns home with issues similar to the previous NPC
  • party gets a second opinion from priest, mage, etc.
  • party learns that the NPC had some of their organs removed and replaced with inferior parts; investigation into NPCs formerly missing that appear healthier than before reveals an opposite situation (poor parts swapped for better ones)
  • party-bogeyman cat-and-mouse
  • party uncovers a bungalow that used to belong to the local alchemist; party discovers hidden entrance to underground laboratory
  • party finds preserved organs, bones, tissue, etc. and detailed journals describing how to better preserve human life
  • encounter with bogeyman still robed in rags and sheets
  • party realizes the bogeyman is wearing a child's preserved face
  • party encounters the local alchemist entering the laboratory
  • reveals (through diplomacy or violence) that their only child died young and they spent years working on ways to return them to life using parts from dead travelers, inadvertently created the bogeyman, realized the bogeyman was poorly made, and taught the creature how to borrow tissue from others to improve its anatomy
  • further investigation reveals that the bogeyman was abducting townsfolk suffering from health problems, kidnapped and released healthy citizens that were deemed "ungrateful for their anatomy", swapped healthy organs and tissue into unhealthy patients, and experimented on the "ungrateful" ones before patching them up and returning them home
  • party also finds an abnormal fetus-thing alive and floating inside a large glass container; a closer look reveals that the creature has been stitched together from stillborn parts

A new coat of paint works wonders.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would like to see a AP that does not end a great and powerful evil threat to Golarion...again.

I am kinda wanting to a see a...more morally grey AP...too many of them lately...and seemingly the next two have been really...EVIL vs GOOD. And while that can be fun...it is getting a little old for me.


Vikings vs Witches.

Vudra or Jalmeray

Taldor court politics

Absalom or Katapesh trade intrigues.

Elf-centric adventure starting out in the Mwangi Expanse or with the Snowcaster elves, moving on to Kyonin, then Castrovel for three instalments (Lashunta!!!), and finishing off at the Mordant Spire.


John Kretzer wrote:

I would like to see a AP that does not end a great and powerful evil threat to Golarion...again.

I am kinda wanting to a see a...more morally grey AP...too many of them lately...and seemingly the next two have been really...EVIL vs GOOD. And while that can be fun...it is getting a little old for me.

While I don't mind a bit of capital G good getting to kick some evil butt, looking at the list I made makes me at leasr partially agree - pretty much all of them except the elf one would make for good grey vs. grey material.


Kajehase wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:

I would like to see a AP that does not end a great and powerful evil threat to Golarion...again.

I am kinda wanting to a see a...more morally grey AP...too many of them lately...and seemingly the next two have been really...EVIL vs GOOD. And while that can be fun...it is getting a little old for me.

While I don't mind a bit of capital G good getting to kick some evil butt, looking at the list I made makes me at leasr partially agree - pretty much all of them except the elf one would make for good grey vs. grey material.

Why not the elf one? If there's anything Golarion elves did right, it's removing the elf race as the "automatic good race" in the setting. Their primary deity is CN and there've been a lot of examples of morally questionable elves in positions of authority within their own culture and without.

Shadow Lodge

Askren wrote:
Squeakmaan wrote:
The problem there, is the only thing stopping Carrion Crown from being a "real horror" adventure is the group playing it. Atmosphere is almost entirely dependent on the players and GM working together to create it. For example, my usual group tends to have a lot of table talk and laughing, this isn't bad, for us, but it makes horror essentially non-starter no matter how the AP is written.

That's a cop-out. No, Carrion Crown is genuinely badly written. It's just a bunch of campy horror movies, because no matter how hard the DM works, you can't make Frankenstein scary.

Skinsaw Murders did it just fine through straight up creepy factor and providing situations that are easy to sell. Carrion Crown never manages to do this, nor does it ever really try.

Yeah, with enough work, I can make Skulls and Shackles into a "horror" campaign, but it's not an excuse to not just write a real one that's designed for it.

I looked at trial of the beast and it looked awesome

Shadow Lodge

haruhiko88 wrote:

1. Distant worlds; When the planets align Rovagug will be released upon the world. Work with astronomers and either teleport to Akiton or fly there in a space ship of some kind to blow up whatever device is there that could set the destroyer free. Quite literally a free reign to hit a worm hole and send the party to another planet or even into the Diaspora.

2. Dragon Empires; With the Jade Regent in place the real movers and shakers begin to move and begin the process of reawakening several ancient oni. Oni that could bring the world down should the (insert multiple or singular artifacts of ancient power here) be restored.

3. The Great Beyond; I want planescape... that's really about it for that idea.

4. Kyonin and the First World; Work with Queen Telandia Edasseril and do some fey stuff. I feel like the elves don't have much flavor in Golarion and their queen could use a rewrite.

all for the great beyond, first world and distant worlds

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am certain it will never happen, but I would love to see a deep sea adventure path that allows merfolk and similar underwater races as PCs.

Dark Archive

Not in any order but:

1) Andoran or Taldor political thriller

2) Droskar's Crag (there a really really big red dragon there and do something like a "Dragon Mountain" from second edition, since there seems to be alot of kobolds there too).

3) Karamorros returning for revenge


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Vudra
Arcadia either as a Viking Saga go to Arcadia or Arcadia Kingmaker
Nex and Geb
Absalom, time to really do service to the city at the center of the world

As to Arcadia, I personally don't have any problem with a colonial style campaign in Arcadia. This is a fantasy game not a commentary on real world history. Even if it was, I'm not sure why a new world analog should be treated any differently in Golarion than its Africa analog or old world analog. Both portray war/slavery/colonialism/racial conflict/ethnic strife/religious warfare, and many other things that I'm sure some people are uncomfortable with.


Arcadia, So I can play my Ulfen/Skraeling based off Askeladd from Vinland Saga.

Or Molthune/Nirmithas so i can roll up my Soviet Hobgoblin.

Distant Worlds Because I just learned why everybody loves Verces...BECAUSE ITS AWESOME!

And finaly Andoran and/or Galt because off Assassins Creed.

101 to 150 of 1,133 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / General Discussion / What AP would you like to see next? 2016 / 17 edition All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.