How do physical age an reincarnate mesh?


Rules Questions


If an elf comes back as a half Orc, how do you figure out how old the body is for aging purposes? Just curious ." And don't see it anywhere.

Since it can bring back someone that died of old age, it obviously doesn't bring them back at the same age, or they would just immediately die again.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The reincarnate spell says that the created body is a "young adult".
I'd say that you'd use the standard starting age for the new race to determine age.


Age
Reincarnate

Quote:
The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand.

... would mean that the body of the Half-orc is "effectively" 14-29 years old: the youngest adult age is 14, while the youngest middle age is 30; hence 14-29. You could express this as 13+d12+d5-1 (13+1+1-1 or 14 at minimum; 13+12+5-1 or 29 at maximum) if you want to randomize it within the adult category, or, as I often do, just accept it as a generic "minimum adult age" statement, and go with 14. (You could also go with "maximum adult age" idea of 29, or "average adult age" of 21.5, but I find those against the spirit of the intent of the spell, myself.)

I could see "young adult" could apply to, say, the first quarter of their adult life, or 13+d4 years (i.e. 14-17) or the first half of their adult life, or 13+d8 (i.e. 13-21), if you wanted, as well.

Either way, that's all we've got to work with.

Hope that helps!


Tacticslion wrote:

Age

Reincarnate

Quote:
The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand.

... would mean that the body of the Half-orc is "effectively" 14-29 years old: the youngest adult age is 14, while the youngest middle age is 30; hence 14-29. You could express this as 13+d12+d5-1 (13+1+1-1 or 14 at minimum; 13+12+5-1 or 29 at maximum) if you want to randomize it within the adult category, or, as I often do, just accept it as a generic "minimum adult age" statement, and go with 14. (You could also go with "maximum adult age" idea of 29, or "average adult age" of 21.5, but I find those against the spirit of the intent of the spell, myself.)

I could see "young adult" could apply to, say, the first quarter of their adult life, or 13+d4 years (i.e. 14-17) or the first half of their adult life, or 13+d8 (i.e. 13-21), if you wanted, as well.

Either way, that's all we've got to work with.

Hope that helps!

As we don't have anything but "young adult" to work with, we really don't know. This falls under GM discretion I think, as long as it is within the age category of adult. Personally speaking, I'd let my player choose his/her age and/or let them roll starting age.

Silver Crusade

you seem to like complex dice rolls, 1D12+1D5+12 to make it simpler or simpler still 3D6+11.

Lifat wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

Age

Reincarnate

Quote:
The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand.

... would mean that the body of the Half-orc is "effectively" 14-29 years old: the youngest adult age is 14, while the youngest middle age is 30; hence 14-29. You could express this as 13+d12+d5-1 (13+1+1-1 or 14 at minimum; 13+12+5-1 or 29 at maximum) if you want to randomize it within the adult category, or, as I often do, just accept it as a generic "minimum adult age" statement, and go with 14. (You could also go with "maximum adult age" idea of 29, or "average adult age" of 21.5, but I find those against the spirit of the intent of the spell, myself.)

I could see "young adult" could apply to, say, the first quarter of their adult life, or 13+d4 years (i.e. 14-17) or the first half of their adult life, or 13+d8 (i.e. 13-21), if you wanted, as well.

Either way, that's all we've got to work with.

Hope that helps!

As we don't have anything but "young adult" to work with, we really don't know. This falls under GM discretion I think, as long as it is within the age category of adult. Personally speaking, I'd let my player choose his/her age and/or let them roll starting age.


Lifat wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Either way, that's all we've got to work with.
As we don't have anything but "young adult" to work with, we really don't know. This falls under GM discretion I think, as long as it is within the age category of adult.

I may be missing something, but were you disagreeing with me, or just agreeing with me?

The tone sounds like the former, but the words sound like the latter.

If you were disagreeing with me... what were you disagreeing with me on? I'm curious.

The Sleeper wrote:
you seem to like complex dice rolls, 1D12+1D5+12 to make it simpler or simpler still 3D6+11.

Not so much "like" as, "hey, here's a thing that I come up with really quick: closest-largest dice to the target numbers, then fiddle until I come up with the correct range" - I'm quite happy with simplified things, I'm just not good at coming up with them. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Lifat wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Either way, that's all we've got to work with.
As we don't have anything but "young adult" to work with, we really don't know. This falls under GM discretion I think, as long as it is within the age category of adult.

I may be missing something, but were you disagreeing with me, or just agreeing with me?

The tone sounds like the former, but the words sound like the latter.

If you were disagreeing with me... what were you disagreeing with me on? I'm curious.

The Sleeper wrote:
you seem to like complex dice rolls, 1D12+1D5+12 to make it simpler or simpler still 3D6+11.
Not so much "like" as, "hey, here's a thing that I come up with really quick: closest-largest dice to the target numbers, then fiddle until I come up with the correct range" - I'm quite happy with simplified things, I'm just not good at coming up with them. :)

I was partly agreeing with you. I agree with you that we have nothing real to go on, but I didn't like your system of randomizing the age... That was all.


So, if you are in the Old/Venerable age category and are reincarnated, do you keep the bonus to int, wis, and cha?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It specifically does not ever affect mental stats, so yes.

I am however reasonably sure you could not rack up another +3 to each mental stat by aging back up in your new body.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Googleshng wrote:

It specifically does not ever affect mental stats, so yes.

I am however reasonably sure you could not rack up another +3 to each mental stat by aging back up in your new body.

The effect of each aging step are cumulative, so by a very strict RAW reading, then yes you could. But that is why we have GMs, because that is OBVIOUSLY not the intent, and anyone allowing it should have his/her head checked.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lifat wrote:
Googleshng wrote:

It specifically does not ever affect mental stats, so yes.

I am however reasonably sure you could not rack up another +3 to each mental stat by aging back up in your new body.

The effect of each aging step are cumulative, so by a very strict RAW reading, then yes you could. But that is why we have GMs, because that is OBVIOUSLY not the intent, and anyone allowing it should have his/her head checked.

Would be pretty cool for a Samsaran NPC to have cycled through so many lives s/he has triple digit Wisdom or something though. Makes an awesome sage/hermit/monk.


Lifat wrote:
I was partly agreeing with you. I agree with you that we have nothing real to go on, but I didn't like your system of randomizing the age... That was all.

Cool. I was just trying to understand. :)

Lifat wrote:
The effect of each aging step are cumulative, so by a very strict RAW reading, then yes you could. But that is why we have GMs, because that is OBVIOUSLY not the intent, and anyone allowing it should have his/her head checked.

I did. It didn't help. :)

DominusMegadeus wrote:
Would be pretty cool for a Samsaran NPC to have cycled through so many lives s/he has triple digit Wisdom or something though. Makes an awesome sage/hermit/monk.

You misspelled "TOTALLY AWESOME!" :D

... except, I think, don't they start with only vague memories?

Still, I'd run a game for that!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / How do physical age an reincarnate mesh? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Questions