6-02 The Silver Mount Collection [Spoilers]


GM Discussion

51 to 100 of 189 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade 4/5

Yeah, it's pretty tough at subtier 6-7. Hardness is tougher than DR to overcome, since energy damage doesn't do the trick (except electricity in this case). When I played it, we had two people with adamantine weapons, Hasted by my sorcerer, and I was also able to use Create Pit to take two of them out of the fight temporarily. So we only had to fight two at a time, and it was still a long fight.

But I disagree with Nils' suggestion of having them not focus on 1 PC. They are intelligent enemies, so they'll use intelligent tactics. I do agree that they won't pursue, though. Not sure what they'll do if PCs try to snipe at them from outside the doors. I think they're smart enough to just walk up and close the doors.

Of course, that's at 6-7. At subtier 3-4, that hardness 10 might just end the session before it starts. PCs at that level can't afford adamantine unless they haven't been spending their cash on anything else, so you're stuck hoping you have 3 or 4 two handed weapon fighter/barbarian types with Power Attack who can do 15-20 points per hit, so that 5-10 of it will get past the hardness. If nobody, or even if it's only 1 or 2 people in the group can do more than 10 damage per hit consistently, then I just don't see most groups getting past that first room.

As someone pointed out already, the robots don't necessarily need to be killed. Grappling them, pinning them down, and tying them up in 50 feet of rope could be a workable plan, though that 20 CMD could be tough at lower levels. Aid Another and grapple could be the winning tactics here.

4/5 5/55/55/55/5 *** Regional Venture-Coordinator, Central Europe

Regarding the focusing part, the problem i see here is, that with 4 attacks at +10 and an average of 24 damage per hit, one char per round will go down, which will most likely end in an TPK. I consider it my primary duty as a GM to provide a fun experience to my players and killing them all in the first encounter would most likely not be that. Of course if i have a table that is strong enough to handle the damage or deal enough damage themselves to end the encounter in 2 rounds anyway then all bets are off :). It depends a lot how you (the GM) reads the table.
And good point with the door, I had exactly that happen at the table.
After the first few hits the party decided to bottleneck them in the doorway, so they just closed the door in front of their faces.

Silver Crusade 4/5

Well, I'm just suggesting the robots will focus on someone until they're knocked down. Once someone's unconscious, they'll have no reason to continue attacking, so hopefully, they won't kill everyone.

But they do have double digit int and wis scores, which means they're smart enough to focus fire. Most intelligent enemies are.

4/5

My PCs walked through the combat encounters in this scenario. The first encounter with the Gearsmen was somewhat tough, but they had a level 7 paladin and a level 7 barbarian both with adamantine two-handed weapons. Once they realized the Gearsmen could heal themselves, they focused fire and took them down with relative ease.

The toughest fight they had was the last one. I'd dropped hints using Gerva's description of the cyber plasm "infecting" Pendleton so they figured out that the Remove Disease wand might do the trick. However, some unlucky rolls meant it took several rounds to get it to work, but once the Gearsmen were dealt with the barbarian just grappled and pinned Pendleton until they got lucky. They didn't have an arcane caster, however, so finishing off the swarm took a while. They threw every alchemist's fire and acid flask (nobody had any bottled lightning) they had and got it down to 2 hp. I gave them the kill since we were out of time but otherwise they had no way to damage it. I guess it would have eventually infested one of the PCs and once again become susceptible to weapon damage.

Sczarni 3/5

I ran this for 2 different groups this weekend, the first one got decimated while the second one had not much trouble.

The first group was:
6 human fighter (2hander)
6 halfling cavalier
5 elf fighter (ranged)
5 human witch
5 tiefling paladin
4 human monk

Seeing as noone in this group had the adamantine weapons needed to get through the hardness of the robots and were severely lacking damage in general, it was little suprise we had 2 player deaths by the first encounter and the moonflower one respectively. A withdraw from the scenario was unavoidable, because at this point they were already out of resources.

The second party consisted of:
7 aasimar summoner
7 tiefling wizard
6 human cleric
6 tiefling bloodrager
6 human ranger(fav enemy construct)
5 human paladin,

And was significantly more optimised. Also they had access to adamantine weapons, lots of AoE and healing.

All in all this scenario seems to be on the 'hard' side of things, being on the side of severely brutal if playing up and/or unoptimal party comp.

Which I personally, like a lot. The paladin however had a nervous breakdown halfway through the session and most players were complaining on the technology knowledge requirements.

Final verdict:
4/5
Lots of fun and everyone hates Nigel Aldain. Although kind of hard and slightly heavy on the prep side. For roleplayers this is a 3/5, the BBEG is actually talkable out of fighting but you need some kind of obscure ability. Would run again!

Sovereign Court 5/5

Ran this 5 times at GenCon (including Fromper's table) with two parties playing at tier 3-4 and 3 playing 6-7.

Every party had a tough time with the first room and I almost killed one player with an (un)lucky crit at the beginning of the first fight. Kids take note - do not let the wizard go in first, even if he rolls a high initiative.

Two parties nearly TPKed in the first fight (one should have - I incorrectly (although not intentionally) allowed adamantine blanch to overcome hardness. It doesn't. I learn something new every time I GM.)

Every single group, including the one with the barbarian with an adamantine weapon, found the entire scenario challenging. I think every table had fun, but there was some frustration in the less balanced and/or less prepared parties. I like this one - but it can be brutal.

For the first fight - electricity damage output is helpful, as is Create Pit (two parties employed this technique to great success). Knowledge Arcana and/or Knowledge Engineering are a plus throughout the adventure. Creative tactics should be rewarded and given a chance to succeed if they make sense. The robots are intelligent, but limited by programming. They should not pursue the PCs, nor should they coup de grace. In my mind, they are capable of limited threat assessment and will attempt to disable targets of concern first, but they are not bloodthirsty.

For me, their 'programming' was something like: "Anyone who comes through those doors is an intruder. Subdue any intruders in this room." Their basic logic had them address high damage output threats first, based on perceived ability to deliver damage (size, armor, weapon, etc)or based on actual damage dealt. Clever parties can use limitations like this to their advantage.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Carla the Profane wrote:


6 tiefling bloodrager

Human bloodrager with the abyssal bloodline. Small difference :)

Also the paladin was 6 and the ranger 5.

And for the first group, the human monk is actually a half-orc monk :P

Yes I feel the feat tax is a bit ... special. I'm not going to buy the technology guide, so I can never legally get the feat either.

That complaint aside, I've played all three the new season six modules now and enjoyed them quite a lot.

We tried the non-lethal approach, but since we had given Pendelton a normal whack first, when he went unconscious the swarm killed him coming out.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

I was the paladin in the second group of Carla's. I assume the breakdown was the paladin in the first group, although I did have a "the encounter that won't end" moment when it appeared that the swarm and the gearsmen were going to continue to repair each other.

As has been mentioned above, it's quite easy to mistake the Wand of Remove Disease as having been meant for the previous encounter. If the party has a bad time with that encounter that could be a lot of infected PCs.

Since you're in Absalom, it would indeed be possible to step out and shop for necessities. Afterwards I was thinking "we should've done that". However, I've had some mixed experiences with GM previously where it was hinted that leaving the adventure site to restock would fail the mission for sometimes rather arbitrary reasons. Maybe it's good for the GM to be clear about that sort of thing.

On the whole this was a pretty nice adventure; all but the final fight seemed pretty doable with moderate precautions. The plant was pretty scary because saving our unlucky ranger looked likely to kill him in the process.

In the final fight there was the matter of some Arcana checks to get a few useful and very necessary clues. I dunno what the scenario says, but it might be good to offer these checks as a GM, rather than wait for the players to ask for them. After the previous encounters, players might think "Oh, I can't even make that check because it'll require Technologist, again. Or it'll be Engineering, and I don't have that."

Which brings me to Technologist. I'm really not a fan of this. For three scenarios in a row, about every third Knowledge check went "well, you rolled pretty well, but you don't have Technologist, so you can't actually succeed at this check I just asked you to roll". So here's some depth to the scenario that you don't get to see.

I don't like the way a feat from a decidedly non-core book is looking a lot like it's almost required to play this season "normally". I don't have the book, haven't read it either. So I don't know if Technologist is worth having for any other reason. The tech items I've seen so far don't look powerful or cost-effective (or reliable!) enough to make it worth buying a book and spending precious, precious feats.

Finally, in our case the destroyed robots could be repaired by the plasm; apparently even if the robots were completely hacked to bits. While it's cool that the plasm can destroy them, it'd also be nice if there was some way for the PCs to destroy the robots really thoroughly so that repairs become impossible.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

There sort of is, but it isnt even really explained to the DM how to do so. Sunder? Steal? Disarm? Maybe its in the Tech Guide or the Bestiary they are from, or its possible that the hints it suggests to the DM dont even work, cant be sure.

Sczarni 3/5

The technologist feat in combination with disable device ^_^;

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

So, it turns out the reason you can use Arcana on the plasm is because it's so much more sci-fi than the robots that it doesn't have the robot subtype, and by that loophole you don't need Technologist. That sounds a bit cheesy to me.

On the whole this was an enjoyable scenario, and winning at the end felt like a real triumph. But the clues leading up to the end should be emphasized a bit, it's very easy to miss them, or to mistake them for clues about something else.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

I don't know. I ran it rather than played it, and was completely unaware of the rules changes at the time, so obviously didn't use them, and in fact couldn't as none of us owned the book. So I didn't base my review placing this pretty poorly on that, as I didn't even know of it, but I did edit it to mention that as well) .One player really enjoyed it, but that's really because of the loophole in the Chronicle Sheet afterwards and because his tripping/disarming Monk pretty much got to shine the entire scenario.

In my opinion, it sort of failed to live up to a Blakros Museum scenario which all but one of the players had at least 2 prior encounters with. It really bugged the crap out of me that they decided to change the map. As a fan of those scenarios, I have actually made a permanent Blakros Museum Map that I was not able to use, and while the new looks pretty, it's got a lot of confusing issues and unanswered omissions throughout.

I did notice that I as a DM made a mistake, one that ultimately didn't even matter. In fact, as DM seeing it from the outside, it might have partially salvaged an iconic aspect of the scenario's Blakros Museum feel, in B19. There is an encounter, probably the most iconic we get in the scenario that utilizes

Spoiler:
Hungry Fleshes from Bestiary 4 page 152
, totally my mistake, but an honest one. I accidentally used the Hungry Fogs from Bestiary 3, exact same page. Kind of missed opportunity in that room, which would have made an amazing BBEG if the nanoooze had infected something there instead, and an awesome finale as well.
slight spoiler, but if you didn't know:
There is an ionic Blakros Museum encounter involving a skeletal dino in each of the previous one, to the point that the series is known for it.

The other players just where not impressed with it. All of them had decided to go Darkiche, partially for this scenario and partially just because they really don't care for any of the new Factions, so just picked one. They didn't care for that aspect in this one's Faction specific content. All in all, again not even based on the Tech Guide's new rules, they as a group said they are not interested in continuing with any Season 6 scenario based on this one and what they know of the other current ones.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

I haven't played the other museum scenarios (yet!), so that's not such a thing for me.

We really enjoyed the oozes; our Sarenrae-cleric got to toss a fireball that none of the oozes saved against, and then our ranger with adamantine earthbreaker, paladin with silver heavy flail and bloodrager with fauchard and claws held the line. The oozes didn't stand a chance. That just felt totally badass.

I'd been trying very hard to level a Darkive alchemist to get him to level 3 to play, but after the other party's experience, it was very clear that we all wanted to be in the same tier so I instead grabbed my paladin. After seeing the Darkive mission, I don't regret that decision; it was over with one heavy Diplomacy check at the beginning of the scenario and that was all. The rewards for it weren't anything that made my mouth water.

Regarding the other S6 scenarios: the Technic Siege was absolutely awesome at low tier.

Grand Lodge

This boss is gonna cause some problems.

Did the math. At low tier, pregen Kyra has a 20.6% chance of successfully ejecting the swarm from the kid with the wand of cure disease (touch attack, fort save, 50% chance). And then the party has to hit touch AC 23 with splash weapons.

Or, they can leave the swarm in the kid and nonlethal the crap out of him. But at some point they'll have to heal him to keep the damage not lethal. And I expect table variation on whether heals are split between him and the swarm as damage is. Also expect variation on whether selective channels can select out the swarm. And all that is IF the party figures out what's going on (more variation on knowledge checks on the cyberplasm - Arcana, Engineering, Technologist).

At high tier it should be easier to eject the cyberplasm but harder to go the nonlethal route.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but this seems way to hard for a 3-4 encounter, and way too dependent on party composition. I'm running this next Tuesday, and I'm trying to figure out a way to foreshadow this so that it isn't a horribly frustrating encounter.

1/5

I'm running this in two days and am reasonably sure I don't need to prep the whole thing after reading the first encounter. TPK probability is like 80% in the first encounter for a group of nearly all 3s with no adamantine weapons.

It's going to break the heart of the group when I tell them "Weapon blanches don't bypass hardness".

I don't know how an average group would ever complete this at low tier. It seems to be written with power gamers in mind. Even my power game type characters would have a rough time in here. The high tier actually seems reasonable since you have more resources.

Honestly the first encounter is a nightmare at low tier, and getting full prestige from the finale is nigh impossible in some groups. Without the right spells you're going to have a bad time in here.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Have someone advise them to bring nets/tanglefoot bags and suggest sturdy rope/manacles or other ways of tying stuff up?

Edit: Scrolls of Thunderstomp (or Blade Lash if magus or bloodrager) can help in dealing with stuff by tripping them. Sadly needs Advanced Class Guide for those spells.

4/5

Bottled Lighting from Ultimate Equipment is another option that is available to everyone. Yes it is 40gp per attach, but a d8 of electrical damage is really worth it.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

The way Carla GM'ed it, I though the swarm was trying to possess a new victim. This wasn't actually the case - he just said that "it tried to but failed" after someone rolled a good Fort save for something.

But it had me thinking: what if we get the swarm into a PC and put that PC in one of the storage boxes that deactivate Tech. Alternatively, what if we get it into the Eidolon and then dismiss the Eidolon.

Is the swarm alive or a construct? If it's a construct it doesn't get any of the healing applied to the boy, so that could work.

---

Part of the difficulty as a player is that there are so many possible game mechanics at work in this case. Is it a Magic Jar style possession, to be handled with Protection from Evil and just waiting out the duration? Has the boy been completely consumed already and are we basically fighting something with a template? Is it like an unwilling Synthesist?

In this case the winning answer is "disease", but there were many other legitimate possible theories.

I think the GM needs to take some initiative here in calling for skill checks. Ask for a Heal check to let the players know just in what shape the boy is (how much more he can take). If they roll really well, let the players realize that while possessing, the swarm also takes damage when the boy is hit. These are things that the PC might see, but the player might not think to ask.

Dark Archive 4/5 *

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I've only run this once, but between the fact that it's mentioned multiple times that he has been infected and that there is a wand of remove disease picked up along the way, my players went straight to trying to eject it that way.

4/5

CigarPete wrote:
I've only run this once, but between the fact that it's mentioned multiple times that he has been infected and that there is a wand of remove disease picked up along the way, my players went straight to trying to eject it that way.

I stressed the "infected" angle and my PCs picked up on it and used the wand on the cyberplasm. Easy. Another good tactic would be to beat on the kid with weapons while simultaneously healing him. The cyberplasm takes half the damage but doesn't get any of the healing and does little to defend itself until it is ejected, which only happens if Pendleton dies. Since it's not a robot, a decent Knowledge (Aracana) roll could get you that information.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

It was mentioned to us once that he was infected, but I think we focused too much on the hazard crates. It seemed "obvious" that those were supposed to be the way to do it. And the description of a big thing slithering into the boy didn't really sound like a Disease to us.

Meanwhile, all the Hungry Flesh seemed to us to be what the Wand was for. One of us got infected and it took three zaps to cure him. I thought the large number of charges would be for the case when multiple PCs get infected.

I think those clues are a bit "fragile"; too much or too little stress on something and they get misinterpreted.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
runslikeawelshman wrote:
CigarPete wrote:
I've only run this once, but between the fact that it's mentioned multiple times that he has been infected and that there is a wand of remove disease picked up along the way, my players went straight to trying to eject it that way.
I stressed the "infected" angle and my PCs picked up on it and used the wand on the cyberplasm. Easy. Another good tactic would be to beat on the kid with weapons while simultaneously healing him. The cyberplasm takes half the damage but doesn't get any of the healing and does little to defend itself until it is ejected, which only happens if Pendleton dies. Since it's not a robot, a decent Knowledge (Aracana) roll could get you that information.

So, what you are saying is that knocking him unconscious should not have triggered the ejecting?

Also I got the impression of possession from the sniper, not infection. In fact, infection didn't really come up until we spoke about it after it was all wrapped up if my memory serves me right.

The idea we had was to knock Pendleton unconscious, then dump him into a hazard crate to see what happened.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Arizona—Phoenix

Played this at Strategicon Monday morning with my Crypt-Breaker Alchemist. First fight took us a long time thanks to having only one melee guy and a lot of ranged. Overall we were safe, it just ate up a lot of the convention slot.

I made a critical error when leveling Trey, in that I forgot to put a rank in Engineering when taking Technologist. So the party was pretty boned on Knowledge checks thanks to that. :/

The final guy was a bit confusing, and so the other Alchemist bombed him dead, thinking he was the bad guy. Then the real threat appeared and we had a tricky time finishing the scenario on time. I really need to read this scenario to understand things better thanks to being unable to know anything about the creatures.

Sovereign Court 5/5

ok i ran it on sunday. after reading thru it, the tech feat is not reqd. so u dont know robots..wah get over it. as for the bbeg while he is in the boy you have no way to identify him other than the vague rumors that the tech league girl gives you.
this scenario is designed to make players think and consider all possibilities. other than that if the players do kill the boy they can spend the money/resources raising him.
i am known for running tough scenarios due to the lvl of cheese the players in my area use so i run a scenario keeping in mind tactics and the creatures intelligence. with that in mind thier was no tpk, matter fact not even a death. Had 2 characters unconscious and that was it.

over all it is a tough scenario but far from impossible. lvl 3 will be alot harder hope u either have a boom wizard with lucky dice or a power attacking 2 handed melee. all the answers u need to win the scenario are in it, the players just need to ask the right questions.

Silver Crusade 4/5

June Soler wrote:
The Bit about the new map

So my work-around with this new map is simple: They remodeled. I mean it makes sense, it's been two years since we went there last, that easily could have been the reason.

I hope this will be the FINAL map they use for this location. And then make a map pack of it. I'll be having fun trying to draw this bad boy out.

Grand Lodge 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lady Ophelia wrote:

So my work-around with this new map is simple: They remodeled. I mean it makes sense, it's been two years since we went there last, that easily could have been the reason.

I'm not sure that's a work-around when the scenario explicitly says they remodeled. :P

Nigel Aldain wrote:
“I’ve been expanding the Blakros a bit. Our collection has grown over the years, and moving larger exhibits in and out of storage has always been such a chore. It is possible the building now defies the laws of nature, being larger inside than out, but many people would consider that a draw.”

Silver Crusade 4/5

Jeff Merola wrote:
Lady Ophelia wrote:

So my work-around with this new map is simple: They remodeled. I mean it makes sense, it's been two years since we went there last, that easily could have been the reason.

I'm not sure that's a work-around when the scenario explicitly says they remodeled. :P

Nigel Aldain wrote:
“I’ve been expanding the Blakros a bit. Our collection has grown over the years, and moving larger exhibits in and out of storage has always been such a chore. It is possible the building now defies the laws of nature, being larger inside than out, but many people would consider that a draw.”

So the Blakros Museum is a Tardis? Weird.

Scarab Sages 5/5 5/5 * Venture-Captain, Netherlands

Ascalaphus wrote:

It was mentioned to us once that he was infected, but I think we focused too much on the hazard crates. It seemed "obvious" that those were supposed to be the way to do it. And the description of a big thing slithering into the boy didn't really sound like a Disease to us.

Meanwhile, all the Hungry Flesh seemed to us to be what the Wand was for. One of us got infected and it took three zaps to cure him. I thought the large number of charges would be for the case when multiple PCs get infected.

I think those clues are a bit "fragile"; too much or too little stress on something and they get misinterpreted.

I played at Carla's first table.

We started playing up. The first encounter got our fighter killed. After dragging him out by the skin of our teeth, and getting him resurrected, we stocked up on some (expensive) goodies.

We fared much better against the plant creature.
After that, one player had to leave due to exhaustion (it was late in the evening by then). That made the party level exactly 5.

We opted to play down after that at the GMs discretion, as we would not have been able to finish the scenario on up. The Giants that replace the Oozes in high tier would have been mechanically unbeatable for us.

We did have a lot less trouble once we played down. We never found the wand. But hints of a swarm thing and seeing the boy all weird made totally sense for my witch (who regularly vomits up swarms).
We beat the boy uncousious with none lethal and tied him up. Investigating his body made the swarm leave him.

The swarm was a tough little bugger. Luckily I had bought two scrolls of lightning bolt.

4/5 5/55/55/55/5 *** Regional Venture-Coordinator, Central Europe

What giants? The only difference in the ooze encounter is that you get 6 advanced instead of 4 normal oozes, which does not change the mechanic of the encounter at all.

4/5

Damanta wrote:
runslikeawelshman wrote:
CigarPete wrote:
I've only run this once, but between the fact that it's mentioned multiple times that he has been infected and that there is a wand of remove disease picked up along the way, my players went straight to trying to eject it that way.
I stressed the "infected" angle and my PCs picked up on it and used the wand on the cyberplasm. Easy. Another good tactic would be to beat on the kid with weapons while simultaneously healing him. The cyberplasm takes half the damage but doesn't get any of the healing and does little to defend itself until it is ejected, which only happens if Pendleton dies. Since it's not a robot, a decent Knowledge (Aracana) roll could get you that information.

So, what you are saying is that knocking him unconscious should not have triggered the ejecting?

Also I got the impression of possession from the sniper, not infection. In fact, infection didn't really come up until we spoke about it after it was all wrapped up if my memory serves me right.

The idea we had was to knock Pendleton unconscious, then dump him into a hazard crate to see what happened.

It's open to interpretation, I suppose. The host is already considered unconscious (very last sentence, page 18) so knocking him unconscious doesn't seem like it would affect the cyberplasm's ability to control his body. It doesn't explicitly state what happens when the host suffers a sufficient amount of non-lethal damage to render him unconscious, though, so expect table variation dependant on GM interpretation.

4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Actually, it's pretty clear that rendering Pendleton unconscious wouldn't automatically eject the cyberplasm:

"A cyberplasm can end its infestation as a move action, appearing in any space adjacent to the infested creature. If the host is slain, the cyberplasm is immediately ejected and is dazed for 1 round. A remove disease spell has a 50% chance to force a cyberplasm from a host, but the creature receives a saving throw against this effect. Anytime a creature infested with a cyberplasm is subjected to electricity damage, it can attempt another DC 15 Fortitude save to eject the cyberplasm."

Whether or not knocking Pendleton unconscious with NL damage would limit the cyberplasm's ability to control the body is the part that's open to interpretation or GM judgement. If the GM ruled that the body collapsed, the cyberplasm would likely end the infestation of its own volition.

2/5

Lady Ophelia wrote:
So the Blakros Museum is a Tardis? Weird.

Well, you say that because it is capable (now) of bending space... but once it does *both* (time and space), then we can compare it...

Voice in the Void (a possible timey-wimey tentaclular sequel):
The portal which originally appeared in Voice in the Void could become active once again- heeding the droning whispers of it's creators, causing the Blackros Museum to travel back in time 12 million years to the far-off planet of Yuggoth... and taking a few hapless Pathfinders with it. (insert a repetitious grinding noise here)

Then we can pack our Sonic Wayfinders and Fez of Protection +1 and head out for adventure! ;-)

4/5 *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Anyone having trouble extracting the maps from this? They just seem to come out as a black square for me.

5/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Ontario—Ottawa

Came out clean for me.

1/5

I'm worried about the first and last encounter. They seem extremely likely to TPK. I'm unsure what can reasonably be done to not kill the PC's. Outside of hardcore power gamers it seems likely to TPK in the first and last encounters.

Grand Lodge 4/5

Matt Haddix wrote:
Anyone having trouble extracting the maps from this? They just seem to come out as a black square for me.

I had to use a different program rather than Adobe to do it. Specifically I used the pdfimages program from here.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

Undone wrote:
I'm worried about the first and last encounter. They seem extremely likely to TPK. I'm unsure what can reasonably be done to not kill the PC's. Outside of hardcore power gamers it seems likely to TPK in the first and last encounters.

While playing in the low tier, we trooped into the room, our warrior types were all quite a ways in when the encounter started. So we were surrounded and somewhat divided.

However, if you have a lot of adamantine weapons and hit hard and fast, you can quickly reduce the number of enemies. It helps to be strong but it REALLY helps to have adamantine. I think in this scenario it's just about mandatory.

For some reason it felt like the robots in this adventure (6-7 tier) were much stronger than those in the Technic Siege (5-6 tier). About the same amount of HP maybe, but doing 2-3x as much damage.

Shadow Lodge 3/5

Whiskey Jack wrote:
Lady Ophelia wrote:
So the Blakros Museum is a Tardis? Weird.

Well, you say that because it is capable (now) of bending space... but once it does *both* (time and space), then we can compare it...

** spoiler omitted **

Then we can pack our Sonic Wayfinders and Fez of Protection +1 and head out for adventure! ;-)

Another fun thing you can do that I did at my table when I ran this is find out who has played in any of the previous museum scenarios. I then gave them a map of the museum as it was when they were there, with the caveat that it typically will change slightly from time to time depending on the needs of the exhibits.

Granted it's a total red herring, but they took to it like mad men planning on what they were going to do. It wasn't until they got inside that I revealed the actual map.

I also suggest, if you are drawing the map do the outside of it in wet erase markers, and just draw the inside with dry. Since once you are inside the size of the movable space only gets smaller.

1/5

Ascalaphus wrote:


For some reason it felt like the robots in this adventure (6-7 tier) were much stronger than those in the Technic Siege (5-6 tier). About the same amount of HP maybe, but doing 2-3x as much damage.

These have and are intended to use power attack with a two handed spear.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

When I ran it, the first fight (4 players at low tier) took 2.5 hours and went over 25 rounds. Included 9 unconfirmed crits before they finally got a crit to stagger the things. Had no adamantine or elextricity.

When I played it (6 players at low tier), it took about 15 minutes, maybe 3 rounds, for the combo of tripper build and adamantine katana'd barbarian to take them down.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

Undone wrote:
Ascalaphus wrote:


For some reason it felt like the robots in this adventure (6-7 tier) were much stronger than those in the Technic Siege (5-6 tier). About the same amount of HP maybe, but doing 2-3x as much damage.
These have and are intended to use power attack with a two handed spear.

That'll do it yeah.

thistledown wrote:

When I ran it, the first fight (4 players at low tier) took 2.5 hours and went over 25 rounds. Included 9 unconfirmed crits before they finally got a crit to stagger the things. Had no adamantine or elextricity.

When I played it (6 players at low tier), it took about 15 minutes, maybe 3 rounds, for the combo of tripper build and adamantine katana'd barbarian to take them down.

Everything I'm reading suggests the difficulty of the first three S6 scenarios is extremely dependent on adamantine weapons.

Scarab Sages 2/5

thistledown wrote:

When I ran it, the first fight (4 players at low tier) took 2.5 hours and went over 25 rounds. Included 9 unconfirmed crits before they finally got a crit to stagger the things. Had no adamantine or elextricity.

When I played it (6 players at low tier), it took about 15 minutes, maybe 3 rounds, for the combo of tripper build and adamantine katana'd barbarian to take them down.

5 players playing down (6th would had us play up). A conjuration wizard, battle oracle, Adamantine magus-what-cha-ma-call-it, Kitstune Paladin that grappled, and Thundercaller bard.

If we did not had the battle oracle and the magus have adamantine weapons, it would have been more troublesome.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

Well, this season is shaping up to be every paladin's favorite nightmare: lots of neutral constructs.

Oh well, it's still a class with great saving throws and a very easy feat tree.

Silver Crusade 2/5

Power attack + full BAB + adamantine weapon = win for paladins.

Silver Crusade 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Undone wrote:
I'm worried about the first and last encounter. They seem extremely likely to TPK. I'm unsure what can reasonably be done to not kill the PC's. Outside of hardcore power gamers it seems likely to TPK in the first and last encounters.

The first fight definitely shouldn't TPK. The robots are trying to kick out intruders. If the PCs leave the building, the robots shouldn't pursue. That makes running away a very easy option.

When I played it, my sorcerer didn't even enter the building until that fight was over - I spent the whole time casting from just outside the doors. The robots are smart enough that they would have targeted me if I'd kept at it after my teammates went down inside the room, but that never happened, because my teammates were always in the room drawing their fire.

Scarab Sages

We played in this with 5 PCs of level 6,6,6,7 and 7.

We knew it might be hard. Basically we tried going for a perfect run. We had really high AC chars and my ifrit sorcerer lobbing selective fireballs. All went quite smoothly.

We only took some dmg in the last encounter, and that was 9 dmg due to standing in the plasm by someone.

We talked the sniper down, we charmed/dominated the big plant. Then buffed it up. :)

Anyhow the last encounter could have been really difficult, but I managed to get a empowered fireball off that did 70 dmg. Then our fighter archer did 8 more damage and it died before it could do anything.

Still a fun scenario, though the unexplained changes as to how the museum looks is a bit weird. :)

Grand Lodge 5/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Fromper wrote:
Undone wrote:
I'm worried about the first and last encounter. They seem extremely likely to TPK. I'm unsure what can reasonably be done to not kill the PC's. Outside of hardcore power gamers it seems likely to TPK in the first and last encounters.

The first fight definitely shouldn't TPK. The robots are trying to kick out intruders. If the PCs leave the building, the robots shouldn't pursue. That makes running away a very easy option.

Heh, the robots closed the door to the street on us, we couldn't get out even if we wanted to without getting hacked to pieces.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

@Simon: but did you save the boy, or basically just incinerate him?

Scarab Sages

@Ascalaphus: The boy was a few squares away, perfectly fine. Only non-lethal damage.

@Damanta: They tried, but we had a few players who just stepped in and were like... no. :)

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden

Damanta wrote:
Fromper wrote:
Undone wrote:
I'm worried about the first and last encounter. They seem extremely likely to TPK. I'm unsure what can reasonably be done to not kill the PC's. Outside of hardcore power gamers it seems likely to TPK in the first and last encounters.

The first fight definitely shouldn't TPK. The robots are trying to kick out intruders. If the PCs leave the building, the robots shouldn't pursue. That makes running away a very easy option.

Heh, the robots closed the door to the street on us, we couldn't get out even if we wanted to without getting hacked to pieces.

Yeah, but we moved in quite far into the room before they animated. We kinda missed the part where the classical Greek statues you expect in a museum entrance like this were actually killer robots.

51 to 100 of 189 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / 6-02 The Silver Mount Collection [Spoilers] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.