Cthulhu's unspeakable presence question.


Rules Questions

1 to 50 of 444 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Unspeakable Presence wrote:
Unspeakable Presence (Su) Failing a DC 40 Will save against Cthulhu's unspeakable presence causes the victim to immediately die of fright. This is a death and fear effect. A creature immune to fear that fails its save against Cthulhu's unspeakable presence is staggered for 1d6 rounds instead of killed. The save DC is Charisma-based.

The way i read this you have to make a save every round you're within Cthulhu's unspeakable presence or you're going to die. Is that correct? Because if so that seems like it's completely geared to kill front line PC's who already have bad will saves.

Liberty's Edge

11 people marked this as a favorite.

It does not have any text saying that a creature that saves is immune so it would seem that each round can kill you. To be fair I feel like if you are fighting Cthulhu with a poor will save you are asking to die.


Cthulu is meant to embody the end of sanity, and worlds that rely on it. If he was easy, he would be a joke.

If it helps though, being immune to fear renders you only staggered.


Xavier Martin wrote:
Unspeakable Presence wrote:
Unspeakable Presence (Su) Failing a DC 40 Will save against Cthulhu's unspeakable presence causes the victim to immediately die of fright. This is a death and fear effect. A creature immune to fear that fails its save against Cthulhu's unspeakable presence is staggered for 1d6 rounds instead of killed. The save DC is Charisma-based.
The way i read this you have to make a save every round you're within Cthulhu's unspeakable presence or you're going to die. Is that correct? Because if so that seems like it's completely geared to kill front line PC's who already have bad will saves.

Yes.

In other words, my Oracle's f!#&ed. And so is Mikey.

=)

Grand Lodge

16 people marked this as a favorite.

Given that I remember at least one game system where Cthulhu's damage was listed as 1d6 PCs per round...

I think you are getting off easy.


FLite wrote:

Given that I remember at least one game system where Cthulhu's damage was listed as 1d6 PCs per round...

I think you are getting off easy.

Actually, in CoC, that ability (1dX PCs get grabbed and eaten by his mouth tentacles) is *IN ADDITION* to his "normal" attacks.

Plus, if you kill him, he reforms in 2 rounds, fully healed. And pissed.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

You're not actually supposed to win against Cthulu. Also, if you seriously want a chance at winning you're supposed to have mythic tiers. And mythic changes everything.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Claxon wrote:
You're not actually supposed to win against Cthulu.

+1

You're supposed to prevent his coming, not fight him.

Claxon wrote:
Also, if you seriously want a chance at winning you're supposed to have mythic tiers. And mythic changes everything.

I have zero experience with Mythic, so I can't advise here.


9 people marked this as a favorite.
Claxon wrote:
You're not actually supposed to win against Cthulu. Also, if you seriously want a chance at winning you're supposed to have mythic tiers. And mythic changes everything.

No, you need a Steamboat. They are his weakness. It is in the books. Kills him everytime.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Starbuck_II wrote:
Claxon wrote:
You're not actually supposed to win against Cthulu. Also, if you seriously want a chance at winning you're supposed to have mythic tiers. And mythic changes everything.
No, you need a Steamboat. They are his weakness. It is in the books. Kills him everytime.

Well saying it kills him is an overstatement. More like steamboats temporarily inconvenience him while you make your escape.


Falcar wrote:
It does not have any text saying that a creature that saves is immune so it would seem that each round can kill you. To be fair I feel like if you are fighting Cthulhu with a poor will save you are asking to die.

I'd say if you're fighting Cthulhu AT ALL you're asking to die. Just run and hope that he gets full eating everybody slower than you.


Eh? Any level 20 caster should be able to dunk Cthulhu easily. Oh sure it technically won't "kill" Cthulhu but it will be inconvenienced for quite awhile.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Anzyr wrote:
Eh? Any level 20 caster should be able to dunk Cthulhu easily. Oh sure it technically won't "kill" Cthulhu but it will be inconvenienced for quite awhile.

If they can, Cthulhu is either not being played properly or is WAY underpowered.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
JoeJ wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
Eh? Any level 20 caster should be able to dunk Cthulhu easily. Oh sure it technically won't "kill" Cthulhu but it will be inconvenienced for quite awhile.

If they can, Cthulhu is either not being played properly or is WAY underpowered.

In Pathfinder, if it exists and isn't immune to absolutely everything there exists a Wizard 20 build that can trivially get rid of it, for certain definitions of trivial.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Jeff Merola wrote:
JoeJ wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
Eh? Any level 20 caster should be able to dunk Cthulhu easily. Oh sure it technically won't "kill" Cthulhu but it will be inconvenienced for quite awhile.

If they can, Cthulhu is either not being played properly or is WAY underpowered.

In Pathfinder, if it exists and isn't immune to absolutely everything there exists a Wizard 20 build that can trivially get rid of it, for certain definitions of trivial.

Probably. They made a mistake by creating a stat block for Cthulhu in the first place. He's much better used as a Plot Device than a monster, like the deities of Golarion. They can't be fought because there are no stats for them; they work solely by GM fiat.

Grand Lodge

Jeff Merola wrote:
JoeJ wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
Eh? Any level 20 caster should be able to dunk Cthulhu easily. Oh sure it technically won't "kill" Cthulhu but it will be inconvenienced for quite awhile.

If they can, Cthulhu is either not being played properly or is WAY underpowered.

In Pathfinder, if it exists and isn't immune to absolutely everything there exists a Wizard 20 build that can trivially get rid of it, for certain definitions of trivial.

He is pretty darn close... The only real omission I see is that he is not immune to plane shifting, But since he has gate and wish, you would need to succeed a lot of times to send him away just for one day.

Certainly I don't see how you are going to do it without mythic tiers.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Actually, the real question isn't can you kill cthulhu. It is can you kill cthulhu before he reaches the heart of the kingdom and everyone there dies. I'm not sure why Cthulhu would stop to deal with a mere adventuring party of mortals.

Also at a 300 foot radius, his aura isn't taking out the front line fighters, it's taking out pretty much everyone.


I find very little is immune to stacked Explosive Runes being simultaneously detonated by a summon using Greater Dispel Magic (which is guaranteed to fail and thus set them off) especially since it's a damage type Cthulhu has 0 resistance to. Even without that, high level undead are immune to Cthulhu's main tricks and you can always gate in help. Even Cthulhu isn't going to be able to handle 4 Solars raining down divine judgment. Also 774 HP while good won't last that many rounds against a dedicated blaster caster. Best part? Cthulhu isn't immune to Daze making Dazing Spell the bane of his existence. +29 Reflex sounds good until you realize that's only about 50/50 chance of making the save and that's before persistent is factored in. SR 41 is still a joke and 30 Resist while high isn't much when the damage is in the 150 range.

At most Cthulhu will take about 5 rounds to down for a single level 20 caster. Really the bigger concern is that he might teleport away so that first dazing spell is important.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Anzyr wrote:

I find very little is immune to stacked Explosive Runes being simultaneously detonated by a summon using Greater Dispel Magic (which is guaranteed to fail and thus set them off) especially since it's a damage type Cthulhu has 0 resistance to. Even without that, high level undead are immune to Cthulhu's main tricks and you can always gate in help. Even Cthulhu isn't going to be able to handle 4 Solars raining down divine judgment. Also 774 HP while good won't last that many rounds against a dedicated blaster caster. Best part? Cthulhu isn't immune to Daze making Dazing Spell the bane of his existence. +29 Reflex sounds good until you realize that's only about 50/50 chance of making the save and that's before persistent is factored in. SR 41 is still a joke and 30 Resist while high isn't much when the damage is in the 150 range.

At most Cthulhu will take about 5 rounds to down for a single level 20 caster. Really the bigger concern is that he might teleport away so that first dazing spell is important.

Given lots of time to prepare, with a build designed specifically to take him out, and giving Cthulhu no time to prepare, is an unrealistic scenario.

More likely you cast explosive runes, Cthulhu casts summon star-spawn.
You cast explosive runes #2, he casts greater teleport (bringing the star spawn with him), star spawn maul you to death as a squishy caster.

Or you hope you win init and he fails every daze save every round before you run out of spells. And you have to kill him twice to send him back to R'yleh.


Uh... I don't think you understand how Explosive Runes work bbangerter. I stock pile mine. Usually Heightened and metamagiced via Staff of the Master during downtime. They build up quite quickly and are guaranteed to 1 shot Cthulhu. He won't have any time to summon star spawn or teleport. Also Starspawn while scary for their CR, aren't scary to a level 20 caster. They'll literally never manage to hit and will be taken out in a single dazing chain lightning. And I don't think its unreasonable to expect Cthulhu to fail his save against Daze, especially a persistent daze, when you get two dazing spells a round (while still having a move action).

And this isn't specific to fighting Cthulhu this is just general stuff level 20 casters can *do*. And there's no way he's going first. Even if he rolls a 20 he only has a 35. Any level 20 caster that can't get a 36 initiative on a roll of a 1 isn't really much of a level 20 caster.

Grand Lodge

Yes, but the blaster magus is going to have to deal with Cthulhu's quickened feeblemind,

The 4 solars are going to meet 2d4 starspawn coming the other way

It is an interesting question whether a creature immune to mind effecting is immune to daze.

stacking Explosive runes requires you to know his exact path, several rounds in advance. It also requires you to touch each of the objects. God help you if you are still doing it when Cthulhu gets close enough to see what you are doing, and casts greater dispel magic...


The blaster mage is going first. Meaning chances are exceeding high Cthulhu will be dazed. This means no starspawn, quickened feeblemind. A creature that is immune to mind-affecting can be dazed, just ask the undead. Explosive runes don't require you to know his path. Just time stop, toss, summon minion, leave. Once time stop ends the minion greater dispels and both it and Cthulhu die a horrible painful death. While he's reforming toss another set down and resummon minion and leave again. When he resurrects he's in for another world of hurt. It's virtually effortless. Only costs a few 9ths.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

If it has stats, it can be killed.

Sorry, but that's just how it works around here.


Anzyr wrote:
Uh... I don't think you understand how Explosive Runes work bbangerter. I stock pile mine.

Uh... I don't think you understand how Cthulhu's starspawn work. I have him stock pile his. He's the high priest of their race, so when I run him I have him use his at-will astral projection to order a few thousand, minimum, of them to use their 1/day gate ability to go to Golarion before he arrives. How does your blaster wizard fare against Cthulhu and... say, 10,000 star-spawn at once?


bbangerter wrote:
Starbuck_II wrote:
Claxon wrote:
You're not actually supposed to win against Cthulu. Also, if you seriously want a chance at winning you're supposed to have mythic tiers. And mythic changes everything.
No, you need a Steamboat. They are his weakness. It is in the books. Kills him everytime.
Well saying it kills him is an overstatement. More like steamboats temporarily inconvenience him while you make your escape.

Not how it ended in canon.

In the books, a Steamboat decimated him. He reforms, but he realized if we can take him that easily he should give up.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

@ Anzyr:

Okay, sincerely curious now: So your standard practice is have like 700 scraps of paper with explosive runes on them stockpiled, somehow teleport them over to your target, and then set them all off with a flubbed greater dispel?

Man, you must have an incredibly easygoing GM, if he or she just meekly accepts that. Edit: Or does your GM throw that sort of thing right back at you, and you have some sort of Spy vs. Spy game of oneupmanship going?

Also, what critter are you pulling up with a "summon" spell that (a) has greater dispel and (b) won't die from coming within 300 ft of Cthulhu? Or are you gating a nightwalker and it's agreeing to die for you somehow?

Also, claiming that "Any level 20 caster that can't get a 36 initiative on a roll of a 1 isn't really much of a level 20 caster" is incredibly suspect. What's floating around out that that gives all 20th level casters (clerics, druids, sorcerers, etc.) a +35 initiative mod? I assume you're talking about nonmythic.

Sure, a L20 diviner with improved initiative basically has that mod (between a +14 before any other bonuses and always "rolling" a 20), but otherwise, what is out there? Moment of prescience doesn't work on initiative, unless your incredibly generous GM ruled that initiative is an opposed ability check.

Though it's the boards, so maybe the stance is that any character that isn't a 20th level diviner isn't a "real" caster. Can never tell around here.

@OP - yes, the Unspeakable Presence of the various Great Old Ones tick every single round you're in the area; unless you're actually immune to the underlying effects, no number of saves will inoculate you against the effect.

Presumably, any party that knows it's going into a fight with Cthulhu has loaded themselves up for demigod, though the GM is a dope if the party actually knows in character Cthulhu's full combat capabilities.

Seriously, IIRC Big C's been sealed since the Pre-Cambrian Era, and by RAW it'd be a DC 50 knowledge (dungeoneering) check just to go "yep, the unspeakable horror over yonder is Dread Cthulhu itself, not just a really big starspawn."

While I feel that the demi-god/kaiju class creatures are too fragile (I'd probably give any Great Old One I ran quadruple maximum HP, for example, for a number that feels closet to "right" - Cthulhu only having 300 more HP than an average great wyrm dragon doesn't feel right to me; similar issue for the various outsider lords and for kaiju), they're supposed to be catastrophically dangerous.

Grand Lodge

I want to be around the first time Anzyr runs into a greater dispel... How many ERs are you carrying right now?...


If he keeps them all stuffed in a bag or scrollcase that's kept in a bag of holding or equivalent item they'd actually be safe, since the dispel wouldn't hit what's in the bag.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

On the principle that if it exists, a gnome can make it more dangerous, I'd hit that 20th level wizard with the New! Improved! Mecha-Cthulhu!


5 people marked this as a favorite.
FLite wrote:
Actually, the real question isn't can you kill cthulhu. It is can you kill cthulhu before he reaches the heart of the kingdom and everyone there dies.

Actually, if I understand the mythos correctly, it's more along the lines of "Can you keep Cthulhu busy long enough that the Stars Stop Being Right so he can't summon a horde of creatures that make him look like an Ackbar with an attitude problem?"


So how does a 20th level caster overcome SR 41?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
FLite wrote:
Actually, the real question isn't can you kill cthulhu. It is can you kill cthulhu before he reaches the heart of the kingdom and everyone there dies.
Actually, if I understand the mythos correctly, it's more along the lines of "Can you keep Cthulhu busy long enough that the Stars Stop Being Right so he can't summon a horde of creatures that make him look like an Ackbar with an attitude problem?"

Aye, that's the real rub isn't it. I believe you recall correctly, Cthulhu is the weakest of the outer gods, the gatekeeper to all the rest.

Grand Lodge

JoeJ wrote:

So how does a 20th level caster overcome SR 41?

Quite easily, if geared for it. 20 (or higher) Caster Level + 2 Spell Penetration + 2 Greater Spell Penetration + 5 Dweomer's Essence + 5 Penetrating Spell + X Charisma (Deific Obedience for Desna). Throw in Spell Perfection and you can guarantee a single spell to get through SR 41 every time.

Zhangar wrote:

@ Anzyr:

Okay, sincerely curious now: So your standard practice is have like 700 scraps of paper with explosive runes on them stockpiled, somehow teleport them over to your target, and then set them all off with a flubbed greater dispel?

Man, you must have an incredibly easygoing GM, if he or she just meekly accepts that. Edit: Or does your GM throw that sort of thing right back at you, and you have some sort of Spy vs. Spy game of oneupmanship going?

Stockpiled Explosive Runes has been something of a benchmark for killing supposedly super powerful monsters since the 3.5 days.

Zhangar wrote:
Also, what critter are you pulling up with a "summon" spell that (a) has greater dispel and (b) won't die from coming within 300 ft of Cthulhu? Or are you gating a nightwalker and it's agreeing to die for you somehow?

First, any summon with Greater Dispel can be made immune to fear quite easily. Second, using Gate doesn't require you to get them to agree to anything in the short term. It's only if you're trying to get them to do something long term.

Zhangar wrote:
Seriously, IIRC Big C's been sealed since the Pre-Cambrian Era, and by RAW it'd be a DC 50 knowledge (dungeoneering) check just to go "yep, the unspeakable horror over yonder is Dread Cthulhu itself, not just a really big starspawn."

DC 45, actually. And it's not that hard to get your knowledge check at level 20 to be much higher than that.


JoeJ wrote:

So how does a 20th level caster overcome SR 41?

The +1 caster level ioun stone, Greater Spell Penetration and an Otherwordly Kimono (which is a really nice item) will get you another +9 on caster level checks. I'm not sure where the other +10 comes from. Edit: And Jeff just explained where the other +10 came from. I keep forgetting there's now a relatively cheap consumable that gives +5 to beat SR with every spell.

Actually being mythic would probably push you the rest of the way. Without being mythic, it'd be a bit harder.

Edit: Stockpiled explosive runes.. oh, that must've taken over for the duffel bag of fire seeds after fire seeds got nerfed to stop that nonsense. heh.


Claxon wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
FLite wrote:
Actually, the real question isn't can you kill cthulhu. It is can you kill cthulhu before he reaches the heart of the kingdom and everyone there dies.
Actually, if I understand the mythos correctly, it's more along the lines of "Can you keep Cthulhu busy long enough that the Stars Stop Being Right so he can't summon a horde of creatures that make him look like an Ackbar with an attitude problem?"
Aye, that's the real rub isn't it. I believe you recall correctly, Cthulhu is the weakest of the outer gods, the gatekeeper to all the rest.

He's the high priest of Azathoth and the most powerful of the Great Old Ones. He was said to be to an Outer God what the Pope was to the Judeo-Christian God.


Anzyr wrote:
The blaster mage is going first. Meaning chances are exceeding high Cthulhu will be dazed. This means no starspawn, quickened feeblemind. A creature that is immune to mind-affecting can be dazed, just ask the undead. Explosive runes don't require you to know his path. Just time stop, toss, summon minion, leave. Once time stop ends the minion greater dispels and both it and Cthulhu die a horrible painful death. While he's reforming toss another set down and resummon minion and leave again. When he resurrects he's in for another world of hurt. It's virtually effortless. Only costs a few 9ths.

Just wondering how you're giving the minion the order to dispel if your plan is Time Stop, Summon, and GTFO.

Or do you just assume that your minion's in built instinct is "Cast Greater Dispel on random pieces of paper while in front of Cthulhu!"

And all that's assuming the Time Stop doesn't end and the minion immediately die from Unspeakable Presence.

And that he hasn't brought in his Star Spawn already (which he has in this case).

And all that just to "kill" him once, at which point he reforms and his first order of business is probably "Kill that f+&#er with great prejudice".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Cthulhu is billions of years old and has Intelligence of 31...which means he would probably be able to anticipate most wizard tactics, including cheesy ones like exploding runes.

So this tactic seems like one that depends upon a GM playing Cthulhu as incredibly dumb and without any sort of support.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jeff Merola wrote:
JoeJ wrote:

So how does a 20th level caster overcome SR 41?

Quite easily, if geared for it. 20 (or higher) Caster Level + 2 Spell Penetration + 2 Greater Spell Penetration + 5 Dweomer's Essence + 5 Penetrating Spell + X Charisma (Deific Obedience for Desna). Throw in Spell Perfection and you can guarantee a single spell to get through SR 41 every time.

Okay. That just further reinforces my belief that deities and cosmic horrors shouldn't have stat blocks.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It's easy to design a level 20 PC specifically built to tackle Cthulhu. Even easier with Mythic Tiers.

The problem is playing such a character through all 20 levels "just in case", only to find the GM never has such a PC meet Cthulhu.

Seriously, that thing is supposed to defy death, so some force of the universe (GM) will make sure it remains a cosmic constant by making Cthulhu unavailable to meet by PCs "prepared" for it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
MMCJawa wrote:

Cthulhu is billions of years old and has Intelligence of 31...which means he would probably be able to anticipate most wizard tactics, including cheesy ones like exploding runes.

So this tactic seems like one that depends upon a GM playing Cthulhu as incredibly dumb and without any sort of support.

He got beat by a Steamboat. And I'll note the dude never went insane or died.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
KestrelZ wrote:

It's easy to design a level 20 PC specifically built to tackle Cthulhu. Even easier with Mythic Tiers.

The problem is playing such a character through all 20 levels "just in case", only to find the GM never has such a PC meet Cthulhu.

Seriously, that thing is supposed to defy death, so some force of the universe (GM) will make sure it remains a cosmic constant by making Cthulhu unavailable to meet by PCs "prepared" for it.

It would suck if you went to all that trouble to get ready for Cthulhu, only to learn that Cthulhu is still sound asleep, but the Spectre is on another of his rampages.


Rynjin wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
The blaster mage is going first. Meaning chances are exceeding high Cthulhu will be dazed. This means no starspawn, quickened feeblemind. A creature that is immune to mind-affecting can be dazed, just ask the undead. Explosive runes don't require you to know his path. Just time stop, toss, summon minion, leave. Once time stop ends the minion greater dispels and both it and Cthulhu die a horrible painful death. While he's reforming toss another set down and resummon minion and leave again. When he resurrects he's in for another world of hurt. It's virtually effortless. Only costs a few 9ths.

Just wondering how you're giving the minion the order to dispel if your plan is Time Stop, Summon, and GTFO.

Or do you just assume that your minion's in built instinct is "Cast Greater Dispel on random pieces of paper while in front of Cthulhu!"

And all that's assuming the Time Stop doesn't end and the minion immediately die from Unspeakable Presence.

And that he hasn't brought in his Star Spawn already (which he has in this case).

And all that just to "kill" him once, at which point he reforms and his first order of business is probably "Kill that f$&!er with great prejudice".

Simple Time Stop was only swift action (thanks Staff of the Master!) so you just shout at it. I mean you don't have to go that far away. Of course if you did want to go far away and silently give the order since Glabrezu (What the hell are people talking about Nightstalkers for? Glabrezu have Greater Dispel Magic at will, you should know this its kind of basic) have telepathy. While he reforming you have plenty of time to drop some more runes (no need to Time Stop this time) and summon another Glabrezu (that's 3 9th level spells for those keeping track at home). Once Cthulhu ressurecets you once again detonate the runes as a readied action this time. Its not hard to get immunity from Unspeakable Presence. Do I really need to list how to get immunity to fear?

Also @ Ipslore the Red: I'm being nice. If Cthulhu wants to play that game he's going to end up on the end of countless Snowcone Cthulhu's that have *all* brought their own Starspawn. Escalation does not end well for Cthulhu.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, there's this line from the Abjuration spells description.

PRD wrote:
If one abjuration spell is active within 10 feet of another for 24 hours or more, the magical fields interfere with each other and create barely visible energy fluctuations. The DC to find such spells with the Perception skill drops by 4.

So 700 explosive runes within 10 feet of each other have a -2796 penalty to the DC to be seen with perception, letting people see them from about 5 miles away.

That's not including your minion dying of fright (I'd love to hear how your Glabrezu get immunity to fear/death effects), whoever puts the paper ball next to Cthulhu dying of fright (Telekinesis might be enough here?), some of your explosive runes being at lower caster level/before you have spell penetration/greater spell penetration/etc., and then, if you kill him, he creates a cloud that nauseates all your Glabrezu (not a poison effect) and blocks Line of Sight, reforms, leaves (gate/greater teleport), and sends you nightmares for the rest of your life.


Bob Bob Bob wrote:
Well, there's this line from the Abjuration spells description.
PRD wrote:
If one abjuration spell is active within 10 feet of another for 24 hours or more, the magical fields interfere with each other and create barely visible energy fluctuations. The DC to find such spells with the Perception skill drops by 4.

So 700 explosive runes within 10 feet of each other have a -2796 penalty to the DC to be seen with perception, letting people see them from about 5 miles away.

That's not including your minion dying of fright (I'd love to hear how your Glabrezu get immunity to fear/death effects), whoever puts the paper ball next to Cthulhu dying of fright (Telekinesis might be enough here?), some of your explosive runes being at lower caster level/before you have spell penetration/greater spell penetration/etc., and then, if you kill him, he creates a cloud that nauseates all your Glabrezu (not a poison effect) and blocks Line of Sight, reforms, leaves (gate/greater teleport), and sends you nightmares for the rest of your life.

Your post makes me question if you are actually following along.

Well, first of all... the runes aren't being read. So their visibility or lack thereof is irrelevant. How to get immunity to Fear? Simple Greater Heroism is always on my list of daily buffs (seriously, I should really start making people do research so they gain some system mastery, rather then spoon-feeding it). You yourself are the one dropping the stack of runes while Time Stop is in effect. You cast your Time Stop as a Swift action, so once it ends you'll still have a move and a standard left at the end. Also if you'd bother to actually read all of my posts, I was already writing off the first Glabrezu as dead. Now while Cthulhu is dead, you drop the explosive runes on his location again (from above no sense getting clouded), and summoning a second Glabrezu. Order the Glabrezu to ready an action to detonate the runes when Cthulhu resurrects. Cthulhu will resurrect, trigger the readied action and promptly die again without getting to do much of anything.

And keep in mind I'm not even being mean about this and using Simulacrum Glabrezus, or worse Simulacrum Cthulhus.

Shadow Lodge

Icyshadow wrote:

If it has stats, it can be killed.

Sorry, but that's just how it works around here.

Except Great Old Ones are a specific exception. Anything you do to "kill" them can only ever mildly inconvenience them.


Eh... once he's killed once, my casters would arrange to make him resurrecting again a waste of time.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starbuck_II wrote:

Not how it ended in canon.

In the books, a Steamboat decimated him. He reforms, but he realized if we can take him that easily he should give up.

You show a complete lack of understanding of the source material. Assuming you've ever read it.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as FAQ candidate. 3 people marked this as a favorite.
Starbuck_II wrote:
He got beat by a Steamboat. And I'll note the dude never went insane or died.

Yup. Never read the story, confirmed.


AlaskaRPGer wrote:
Claxon wrote:
You're not actually supposed to win against Cthulu.

+1

You're supposed to prevent his coming, not fight him.

Then why did they waste paper giving him statistics? If he's nothing but a plot device, he needs no numbers.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

He needs numbers so he can get beaten down so many times his geometry become euclidean.

1 to 50 of 444 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Cthulhu's unspeakable presence question. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.