Does Silken Ceremonial Armor count as clothing?


Rules Questions


Source: UC

Description: Used for ceremonial displays or occasionally worn (albeit with no additional benefit) over heavier armor, these robes consist of several layers of cloth and an outer layer of silk intricately woven with gold brocade designs and covered with metal studs.

Basically, cost is 30g, weight is 4lbs, AC: +1

I am playing on a low strength character, and am trying to sort out the 'accounting' involved in his encumberance. I compare this to the Harimaki (3g, 1lbs, +1 AC), and am supposing that the cost and weight was decided in this way to replace an outfit.

Would you have a problem, as a GM, if I were wearing this armor but not wearing any other clothing?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Your base clothing is generally not factored into your encumbrance, so it's generally not an issue. Just how far down are you dumping your strength anyway?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is to my understanding that this is an old rule from another system that is not specifically listed anywhere in Paizo's material.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Fearspect wrote:
It is to my understanding that this is an old rule from another system that is not specifically listed anywhere in Paizo's material.

Do you see underwear listed in the equipment lists? Spoiler alert: the answer is no you don't. That doesn't mean that everyone in the world is going commando. Like I said, how far down are you driving your strength that this question becomes so critical?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All I was saying was that Paizo has not stated anywhere that "Clothing does not count toward your encumbrance".

The character I am building is a level 1 Wizard at 7 Strength (23lbs light load). Even at 8 or 9 (26-29lbs light load) a 5+lbs encumbrance for wearing clothes and a Harimaki is quite significant.

I think that my current solution is to simply have all of my survival gear (bedroll, rope, rations, etc) will be in a sack that I can drop at the beginning of combat.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

To answer your original question: No, as a GM I would not have any problem. The NPC's you encounter may have their own reactions depending on where you are. In the middle of the Mwambi Expanse where the natives don't wear a significant amount of clothing, it's irrelevant. In a social function in Taldor, the reaction might be ...... different.


I'd say it should be able to replace the tunic, shirt or robe but not a full outfit. As the silken ceremonial armor is eastern I'd suggest just adding a monk's outfit (2 lbs) and asking your GM if he's willing to drop some of the weight for not wearing the loose shirt. I MIGHT allow you to reduce it by 0.5 lbs while still being (more or less) properly dressed.

RAW a kilt for 1 lbs might be enough but it would look strange because a kilt and silk armor doesn't mix well.

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Pick up a set of Sleeves of Many Garments. IIRC they only weigh 1 lb, and can transform into any set of mundane clothing that you wish.

So you could wear your Silken Robes to cover most of your body, and use the sleeves to "fill in the gaps".


Nefreet wrote:

Pick up a set of Sleeves of Many Garments. IIRC they only weigh 1 lb, and can transform into any set of mundane clothing that you wish.

So you could wear your Silken Robes to cover most of your body, and use the sleeves to "fill in the gaps".

I love Sleeves of Many Garments, and I add my own recommendation to yours for the OP. But, strictly speaking, the SoMG do not themselves transform into anything. They Transform the clothes you are wearing into the clothes you want to be wearing.

This is academic, since your mundane clothes do not add to your encumberance.

For extra light armor, have a look at the Darkleaf Cloth material. I like my Wizards to gain a level in something with armor proficiency, take Arcane Armor Training, and wear Darkleaf Cloth Lamellar Leather Armor. But if that is too heavy for you, it still might be worth looking at different versions of armor that can be made of Darkleaf Cloth and get away with even heavier armor.

To the list of aids for the feeble backpacker, I recommend looking at the Muleback Cords and the Handy Haversack. Both are inexpensive magic items, 1000 and 2000gp respectively. Bearing that in mind, encumberance is really more of a low level character problem.

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Unfortunately, in Pathfinder, any clothing you are wearing does count towards your encumbrance.

The rule you're thinking of existed in 3.5 and was not transferred over to PF.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Each character begins play with a number of gold pieces that he can spend on weapons, armor, and other equipment. As a character adventures, he accumulates more wealth that can be spent on better gear and magic items. Table: Starting Character Wealth lists the starting gold piece values by class. In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less. For characters above 1st level, see Table: Character Wealth by Level.

This is pretty much all you get for free in Pathfinder. Clothes still count against your encumbrance, sadly.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

Each character begins play with a number of gold pieces that he can spend on weapons, armor, and other equipment. As a character adventures, he accumulates more wealth that can be spent on better gear and magic items. Table: Starting Character Wealth lists the starting gold piece values by class. In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less. For characters above 1st level, see Table: Character Wealth by Level.

This is pretty much all you get for free in Pathfinder. Clothes still count against your encumbrance, sadly.

An outfit... i.e. clothes.


LazarX wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

Each character begins play with a number of gold pieces that he can spend on weapons, armor, and other equipment. As a character adventures, he accumulates more wealth that can be spent on better gear and magic items. Table: Starting Character Wealth lists the starting gold piece values by class. In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less. For characters above 1st level, see Table: Character Wealth by Level.

This is pretty much all you get for free in Pathfinder. Clothes still count against your encumbrance, sadly.

An outfit... i.e. clothes.

the cost of the outfit is free (provided its 10gp or less) but it still counts as wt against your carry cap.

perhaps the underwear that was brought up has a negligible weight like flasks.

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

None of my characters bother to wear underwear.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nefreet wrote:
None of my characters bother to wear underwear.

You're staying BELOW me on ladders. :)

Scarab Sages

LazarX wrote:
Fearspect wrote:
It is to my understanding that this is an old rule from another system that is not specifically listed anywhere in Paizo's material.
Do you see underwear listed in the equipment lists? Spoiler alert: the answer is no you don't. That doesn't mean that everyone in the world is going commando. Like I said, how far down are you driving your strength that this question becomes so critical?

PFS has officially ruled that you count the weight of your clothing.


It just seems weird to me when you compare these items:

Harimaki: 3g 1lbs +1 AC
SC Robes: 30g 4lbs +1 AC

Why would they ever be used unless they were an outfit?

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Because I don't like the idea of my Witch wearing a metal plate around his waist. And imagine if he was a she, instead O.O


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

But the silken ceremonial robe should work fine if all you are worried about is being decently covered -- and since it is "ceremonial", it might even be considered as slightly more formal than standard clothing in some settings.

With a haramaki plus a kilt, you would be considered decently covered in ancient Egypt, but not in too many other places.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Artanthos wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Fearspect wrote:
It is to my understanding that this is an old rule from another system that is not specifically listed anywhere in Paizo's material.
Do you see underwear listed in the equipment lists? Spoiler alert: the answer is no you don't. That doesn't mean that everyone in the world is going commando. Like I said, how far down are you driving your strength that this question becomes so critical?
PFS has officially ruled that you count the weight of your clothing.

You all can now officially report me on the fact that when I audit characters, I don't look for underwear in the equipment list.


Fearspect wrote:

It just seems weird to me when you compare these items:

Harimaki: 3g 1lbs +1 AC
SC Robes: 30g 4lbs +1 AC

Why would they ever be used unless they were an outfit?

It is strange that a silk and cloth robe weighs more than a chainmail and leather belly belt. You would think more silk would still be lighter than less metal and leather.

Also the Japanese Haramaki "Belly Warmer" was more like a full front breast plate that covered the chest, and belly (but not much else). So that could technically cover a character (plus undergarments).

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

@LazarX: I don't see why anyone would, since underwear doesn't exist in Pathfinder.


LazarX wrote:
Artanthos wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Fearspect wrote:
It is to my understanding that this is an old rule from another system that is not specifically listed anywhere in Paizo's material.
Do you see underwear listed in the equipment lists? Spoiler alert: the answer is no you don't. That doesn't mean that everyone in the world is going commando. Like I said, how far down are you driving your strength that this question becomes so critical?
PFS has officially ruled that you count the weight of your clothing.
You all can now officially report me on the fact that when I audit characters, I don't look for underwear in the equipment list.

Its not funny or clever and no one cares. Stop trolling my post.


gourry187 wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

Each character begins play with a number of gold pieces that he can spend on weapons, armor, and other equipment. As a character adventures, he accumulates more wealth that can be spent on better gear and magic items. Table: Starting Character Wealth lists the starting gold piece values by class. In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less. For characters above 1st level, see Table: Character Wealth by Level.

This is pretty much all you get for free in Pathfinder. Clothes still count against your encumbrance, sadly.

An outfit... i.e. clothes.

the cost of the outfit is free (provided its 10gp or less) but it still counts as wt against your carry cap.

perhaps the underwear that was brought up has a negligible weight like flasks.

Maybe you could wear an outfit made up solely of flasks...you'd clink, but you could call yourself 'milk-bottleman'. :P

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Does Silken Ceremonial Armor count as clothing? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.