Thesis on pen and paper role playing games and education


Gamer Life General Discussion

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Greetings oh wise and all-powerful messageboard. I come to you seeking aid. The grandmasters of the University, in which I am studying the art of teaching the glorious language that is English, have entrusted me with a quest of the greatest importance. To write the thesis of all theses, one thesis to rule them all, to boldly thesis where no thesis has thesised before! Through long and arduous contemplation and consultation with my mentor, we have agreed that the topic shall be the implementation of joyous activities involving presuming the roles of creatures and persona other than oneself through the media that is the quill and parchment in the process of transferring the knowledge of the English language. Here is where I require aid! If any of the good souls that dwell upon this place has any ethereal connectors to a scroll or tome of ancient knowledge or research regarding the said topic, I would be eternally grateful to anyone who provides me with the materials I need.

the tl;dr/wtf are you talking about version:
I'm writing a thesis on the application of PnPRPGs in teaching English, and would be thankful for any possible research material in any way connected to the topic. Anything related in any way helps :)

Sovereign Court

Worry not, brave scribe! For I shall aid you to the best of my abilities!

The task you have been given, is indeed a most challenging one. But I will do all that I can. I would say that to begin with, complicated rules and terminologies must be avoided to prevent individuals from becoming overloaded with information that may be hard and translate. And it is of the utmost importance that you keep them entertained at all times, as people learn far more quickly and easily when they are having fun. Finally, I recommend that you start with children as they are able to learn far quicker than adults.

I pray that I have been useful to you and your endeavours. :-)

Sovereign Court

I ment hard "to" translate.


Check out some psychology articles. People are often uncomfortable in social settings but being able to mentally (or physically in the case of LARP) step into an later ego and pretend to be brave and heroic without the risk has led to more boldness in the class room to participate.


on PnPs in general
one

two

three

Related PnPs to education

one

two

three

PnPs do inspire the player and GM to learn the proper vernacular for the setting which does require a greater mastery of English. Adventure Path scene descriptions are full of upper-level vocab that can be read off to the players when describing a room.

Dark Archive

I wrote a similar paper for Sociology about the benefits of games in general. This was a few years ago, I will look for some things. This is one URL I used. We were allowed to cite .org,.gov or .edu for our papers. This is a .org.
History of Games @ Learning

Grand Lodge

The thesis isn't due for more than a year, but this will require a lot of work and preparation, so I decided to get a head start. Anything and everything related in any way to the topic is welcome, from links to theses. In case anyone is wondering, my first language is Croatian, but the thesis itself will be in English.

Thanks for everything so far, as I said, anything and everything related to the topic in any way will be helpful :)

Sovereign Court

In all seriousness, Morgrym, you have very good English. :-)


Nimon wrote:


I wrote a similar paper for Sociology about the benefits of games in general. This was a few years ago, I will look for some things. This is one URL I used. We were allowed to cite .org,.gov or .edu for our papers. This is a .org.
History of Games @ Learning

Really? .org is readily purchasable. That rule seems to come from someone who has disdain of technology because they personally don't know anything about it. They should look into this thing called "peer review."


Morgrym, the Servant of Torag wrote:

The thesis isn't due for more than a year, but this will require a lot of work and preparation, so I decided to get a head start. Anything and everything related in any way to the topic is welcome, from links to theses. In case anyone is wondering, my first language is Croatian, but the thesis itself will be in English.

Thanks for everything so far, as I said, anything and everything related to the topic in any way will be helpful :)

My mom just retired after 20 years of ESL education. She spent the last 10 years instructing 6th and 7th grade English immersion Science classes at an international newcomer academy. I'm sure she has lots of personal experience with using games to teach English, though I doubt much in the way of RPG's. If you are looking for primary sources for interview PM me and I can get you two in touch.


http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt2jc38f this one has a section on EFL instruction and story-telling.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt2tt7jh this one has an article on imaginative play and language learning.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2253638 This one is about games and language.


BigDTBone wrote:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt2jc38f this one has a section on EFL instruction and story-telling.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt2tt7jh this one has an article on imaginative play and language learning.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2253638 This one is about games and language.

It seems like someone asked a similar question before but all that could really be found on the subject was tangentially related. The more difficult task in from of you is going to be taking existing information on RPG's and showing how it lines up with positive and established practices for language learning. In essence, your paper will really be making a theoretical case for why RPG's should be used in language education rather than why RPG's are good at language education.

Dark Archive

BigDTBone wrote:
Nimon wrote:


I wrote a similar paper for Sociology about the benefits of games in general. This was a few years ago, I will look for some things. This is one URL I used. We were allowed to cite .org,.gov or .edu for our papers. This is a .org.
History of Games @ Learning
Really? .org is readily purchasable. That rule seems to come from someone who has disdain of technology because they personally don't know anything about it. They should look into this thing called "peer review."

I think .orgs are considered slightly more credible. Did you not just list 3 .orgs yourself?


Nimon wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
Nimon wrote:


I wrote a similar paper for Sociology about the benefits of games in general. This was a few years ago, I will look for some things. This is one URL I used. We were allowed to cite .org,.gov or .edu for our papers. This is a .org.
History of Games @ Learning
Really? .org is readily purchasable. That rule seems to come from someone who has disdain of technology because they personally don't know anything about it. They should look into this thing called "peer review."
I think .orgs are considered slightly more credible. Did you not just list 3 .orgs yourself?

Jstor is a .org that doesn't mean that I can't buy one and put whatever the hell I want on it. And it certainly isn't more credible than a .com or .net

You should judge each site on its own merits, not its domain extension.

http://theflatearthsociety.org

Dark Archive

BigDTBone wrote:
Nimon wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
Nimon wrote:


I wrote a similar paper for Sociology about the benefits of games in general. This was a few years ago, I will look for some things. This is one URL I used. We were allowed to cite .org,.gov or .edu for our papers. This is a .org.
History of Games @ Learning
Really? .org is readily purchasable. That rule seems to come from someone who has disdain of technology because they personally don't know anything about it. They should look into this thing called "peer review."
I think .orgs are considered slightly more credible. Did you not just list 3 .orgs yourself?

Jstor is a .org that doesn't mean that I can't buy one and put whatever the hell I want on it. And it certainly isn't more credible than a .com or .net

You should judge each site on its own merits, not its domain extension.

http://theflatearthsociety.org

True, I guess an organization could purchase a domain just to put out false information, but I think that as a general rule they are more credible than a .com or .net, but hell it wasn't my rule I was just giving some context as to why I used it. I guess if it really bothers you, you can send an email to PPCC about their citing policies.

Grand Lodge

Jurassic Bard wrote:
In all seriousness, Morgrym, you have very good English. :-)

After so many years of learning, it damn well better be ;)

BigDTBone wrote:
http://theflatearthsociety.org

Found out that thing existed just a week ago. I excremented building material.

_______________

Seeing as how this is getting quite the attention, I thought I'd elaborate on what I'll be trying to do with the thesis. In one of my classes we mentioned something called the Multiple Intelligences Theory (http://bit.ly/1jP5GKd) and the way in which adhering to as many aspects of intelligence can greatly influence the learning process.
The first thing that came to mind that had most, if not all, intelligences wrapped in a neat package were role playing games. I could go on about PnPRPGs are connected with each, but then I'll leave that for when i start writing. This sparked the initial idea for the thesis, and I just started building up from there. This was then followed by Rebecca Oxford's taxonomy of language learning strategies, which does make sense, since the two do go hand in hand.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is still very much in its initial phase, but I'm hoping to do as much of the reading as I can as soon as possible, because the thesis isn't going to base itself completely on theory. The hardest, but possibly the most fun, aspect of it will be the experimental part. My mentor and I agreed that we need to test the theory. I'll get two groups of English learners, all of the same proficiency level and age (hopefully), and have one group learn English the classical way, and the other the PnPRPG way. My initial idea is 12 to 15 year-olds, because I think they would be proficient enough to use the language to a certain extent, while still having a lot to learn. I'm still at odds with myself on whether they should only be learning English through the games, or if I should use them as a supplement. I'll probably end up with a bit of both, explaining what needs to be explained the old-school way, and using the game for examples, practice and revision.

I'll do my best to answer any questions anyone has, even if I am a day or two late. If people are interested enough, I'll find a way to document how things are going when we start the experimental part, and of course, I'm open to any advice/criticism anyone has. I'm still thinking of a way to progressively track the learners progress, probably through some kind of a questionnaire. Also, in case anyone was wondering, my first language is Croatian, but the thesis itself will be in English. This is all still highly theoretical, and I'm aware that a lot of people might be skeptical, but I do firmly believe there is a lot of sense behind what I'm trying to do here.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

imho, playing games should never be seen as "enough" to replace actual study, so I'd suggest treating p&p rpg as such. Like music and film, it has the benefit of capturing the interest of people, thus making the learning of the language less of a chore. It also helps with the vocabulary due to introducing you to events that require differnt words than those learned in early classes.

in respect to your original question: there's a thread of these boards, concerning Gary Gygax's thoughts on what makes a good roleplayer. That might be an extremely good read.


I'm writing my thesis on teamwork and group mechanics in enterprises and its parallels in rpgs, i wish you the best luck xD.


The thesis makes sense, at least from my personal experience, as I've learned basic English mostly from cartoons, and expanded my vocabulary greatly from reading PHB 3e in high school, and to completely switching to reading in English. I agree with what Snorri said, it shouldn't completely replace study.

Morgrym, the Servant of Torag wrote:
In case anyone is wondering, my first language is Croatian, but the thesis itself will be in English.

Odakle si?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For the most part, roleplaying games don't by themselves help in teaching the language any more than any other form of casual immersion does. If anything, it may confuse the issue due to the concentration of gamer-specific slang which isn't used in general life. If you're looking for examples of people intentionally structuring games to facilitate language learning, that's going to require casting a much tighter net.


The rules themselves are not that helpful, as you say, it's specific slang, and repetitive. But the descriptive prose, either from the rulebooks, and even better campaign settings and adventures, certainly helps. When we play, we converse in our native language (which is in my case the same as OP's, Croatian), but we constantly use game terms, read aloud rule descriptions or descriptive passages from adventures, and it sometimes helps in roleplay if you speak in english.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
necromental wrote:
The rules themselves are not that helpful, as you say, it's specific slang, and repetitive. But the descriptive prose, either from the rulebooks, and even better campaign settings and adventures, certainly helps. When we play, we converse in our native language (which is in my case the same as OP's, Croatian), but we constantly use game terms, read aloud rule descriptions or descriptive passages from adventures, and it sometimes helps in roleplay if you speak in english.

Quite frankly however, you'll get more immersion, visual aids, and more general education in casual English from a night of watching movies.


In terms of understanding, probably. like I said, I learned english mostly from Cartoon Network. In terms of talking in english, just watching is not that effective. I know many people who understand most of english, but cannot speak a word of it (one example is my grandma, who also understands enough of spanish, and lately has been learning turkish, thanks to soap operas). Gaming, as an interaction, helps in expression.

Grand Lodge

Morgrym, the Servant of Torag wrote:
Jurassic Bard wrote:
In all seriousness, Morgrym, you have very good English. :-)

After so many years of learning, it damn well better be ;)

BigDTBone wrote:
http://theflatearthsociety.org

Found out that thing existed just a week ago. I excremented building material.

_______________

Seeing as how this is getting quite the attention, I thought I'd elaborate on what I'll be trying to do with the thesis. In one of my classes we mentioned something called the Multiple Intelligences Theory (http://bit.ly/1jP5GKd) and the way in which adhering to as many aspects of intelligence can greatly influence the learning process.
The first thing that came to mind that had most, if not all, intelligences wrapped in a neat package were role playing games. I could go on about PnPRPGs are connected with each, but then I'll leave that for when i start writing. This sparked the initial idea for the thesis, and I just started building up from there. This was then followed by Rebecca Oxford's taxonomy of language learning strategies, which does make sense, since the two do go hand in hand.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is still very much in its initial phase, but I'm hoping to do as much of the reading as I can as soon as possible, because the thesis isn't going to base itself completely on theory. The hardest, but possibly the most fun, aspect of it will be the experimental part. My mentor and I agreed that we need to test the theory. I'll get two groups of English learners, all of the same proficiency level and age (hopefully), and have one group learn English the classical way, and the other the PnPRPG way. My initial idea is 12 to 15 year-olds, because I think they would be proficient enough to use the language to a certain extent, while still having a lot to learn. I'm still at odds with myself on whether they should only be learning English through the games, or if I should use them as a supplement. I'll probably end up with a bit of both, explaining what needs to be explained the...

The multiple intelligence theory is largely outdated and has shown to have no effect on test scores. We all have all of the intelligences listed there (and the new ones they keep adding) to some degree.

The basis for MI, though, is that of "engagement". The more students are engaged, the more they learn, apply that knowledge and recall it later. Try the "Gamification of the education and instruction". Your experiment could include aspects of this idea and possibly increase engagement, thus learning. Just my 2cents. I've incorporated these techniques with varying success in my classrooms. One thing for sure, gaming/fantasy language increases vocabulary and RPG's are great for higher level thinking - you need to read, understand, apply, synthesize, judge results, re-read, research, apply math, creativity... good luck and good planning!!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
necromental wrote:
In terms of understanding, probably. like I said, I learned english mostly from Cartoon Network. In terms of talking in english, just watching is not that effective. I know many people who understand most of english, but cannot speak a word of it (one example is my grandma, who also understands enough of spanish, and lately has been learning turkish, thanks to soap operas). Gaming, as an interaction, helps in expression.

Your basic problem is that you were watching Cartoon network. You should have been watching popular live action movies instead. The most effective method of language teaching involves a lot of immersion, and most pathfinder sessions aren't nearly as immersive as live action movies.

To be fair to Cartoon Network, I'd still say it's a lot more effective watching a cartoon episode than the same time spent huddling over game boards and working out small unit tactics again and again.

If your argument for gaming relies on the value of the game master reading descriptive text, you'd get a lot more mileage from listening to an audio book of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, or Stephen King's The Stand, the latter work would be much more valuable if the intent is to learn modern spoken English, while having a print copy in front of you.


What, cartoons don't have enough dialogue? I agree for tom&jerry or maybe looney tunes, but most common were flintstones, jetsons and scooby doo which were pretty dialogue driven. And I learned alot from live action movies too: sh.t! son-of-a-b! and stuff like that :D (joking aside, I watched a lot of live action movies, too, so that's not the point)

I still think you undervalue interaction for speaking (not understanding) a foreign language. I was exposed to almost the same amount to italian language (also cartoons and movies), but since I didn't interact with anybody, I can barely speak it. I sang songs in english with my friends, LARPed action movies (american ninja and lethal weapon being the favorites), and did none of that for italian (although i studied them both at school).

And, look here I am debating learning english with you because of gaming, ha!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
necromental wrote:

What, cartoons don't have enough dialogue? I agree for tom&jerry or maybe looney tunes, but most common were flintstones, jetsons and scooby doo which were pretty dialogue driven. And I learned alot from live action movies too: sh.t! son-of-a-b! and stuff like that :D (joking aside, I watched a lot of live action movies, too, so that's not the point)

I still think you undervalue interaction for speaking (not understanding) a foreign language. I was exposed to almost the same amount to italian language (also cartoons and movies), but since I didn't interact with anybody, I can barely speak it. I sang songs in english with my friends, LARPed action movies (american ninja and lethal weapon being the favorites), and did none of that for italian (although i studied them both at school).

And, look here I am debating learning english with you because of gaming, ha!

What I'm saying here is that you're not going to get much thesis material from the boards on this topic, because you're going to find it hard to find someone who intentionally chose gaming as a language teaching aid compared to other means of interaction, or self teaching through means such as Rosetta Stone.

You may find people who used gaming to teach group interaction, but that's starting with the common communication skills i.e. language and grammar to begin with.


Magician - An RPG that teaches you Korean.

It's an RPG designed specifically around the goal of teaching you a language, while still being an actual RPG. It uses a magic system built off language, which is a pretty common theme in fantasy literature. You build spells by speaking phrases/sentences. Mind you, my knowledge of this game is purely second-hand, so I don't know specifics, but I figure it's probably right up your alley.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You may also want to mention the fact that RPG's like pathfinder also tend to use more complicated language in their descriptions of things. The game mastery guide has an entire page dedicated to words you should know to help you describe things in new and better ways. There are some fairly seldom used words in there. Also with all of the content drawn from mythology a lot of odd words come up that help to expand the vocabulary (like the Jabberwock's whiffling and burble abilities).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:
necromental wrote:

What, cartoons don't have enough dialogue? I agree for tom&jerry or maybe looney tunes, but most common were flintstones, jetsons and scooby doo which were pretty dialogue driven. And I learned alot from live action movies too: sh.t! son-of-a-b! and stuff like that :D (joking aside, I watched a lot of live action movies, too, so that's not the point)

I still think you undervalue interaction for speaking (not understanding) a foreign language. I was exposed to almost the same amount to italian language (also cartoons and movies), but since I didn't interact with anybody, I can barely speak it. I sang songs in english with my friends, LARPed action movies (american ninja and lethal weapon being the favorites), and did none of that for italian (although i studied them both at school).

And, look here I am debating learning english with you because of gaming, ha!

What I'm saying here is that you're not going to get much thesis material from the boards on this topic, because you're going to find it hard to find someone who intentionally chose gaming as a language teaching aid compared to other means of interaction, or self teaching through means such as Rosetta Stone.

You may find people who used gaming to teach group interaction, but that's starting with the common communication skills i.e. language and grammar to begin with.

In this thread I've seen several studies posted and I have personally offered to connect him with someone in the language education field with multiple years of experience using games as a language tool. What more could someone posting in a random thread on the internet hope to get for their thesis?

Also, immersion doesn't mean what you think it means.

Also Also, you should read threads before making blind judgements about what you think you will find in them. Your lead off sentence is patently false. It was false before you wrote it.

Liberty's Edge

Morgrym, I know that the Defense Language Institute uses a lot of games and a lot of roleplaying (though not a lot of roleplaying games) in their teaching of language. You might check with them to see if they have any materials available for scholarly review.

There's also the Center for the Advanced Study of Language (CASL).

Both organization focus on promoting fluency in very short time frames. Both use a lot of "role playing" as a form of linguistic interaction. DLI, at least, does a lot of "story-telling" which could easily be applied to RPGs.

Good luck!

Grand Lodge

Snorri Nosebiter wrote:

imho, playing games should never be seen as "enough" to replace actual study, so I'd suggest treating p&p rpg as such. Like music and film, it has the benefit of capturing the interest of people, thus making the learning of the language less of a chore. It also helps with the vocabulary due to introducing you to events that require differnt words than those learned in early classes.

in respect to your original question: there's a thread of these boards, concerning Gary Gygax's thoughts on what makes a good roleplayer. That might be an extremely good read.

As I said, I'd probably end up using it as a supplement. I'll try to dig out the threat, thanks :)

necromental wrote:
Odakle si?

Osijek :D

D20DM wrote:

The multiple intelligence theory is largely outdated and has shown to have no effect on test scores. We all have all of the intelligences listed there (and the new ones they keep adding) to some degree.

The basis for MI, though, is that of "engagement". The more students are engaged, the more they learn, apply that knowledge and recall it later. Try the "Gamification of the education and instruction". Your experiment could include aspects of this idea and possibly increase engagement, thus learning. Just my 2cents. I've incorporated these techniques with varying success in my classrooms. One thing for sure, gaming/fantasy language increases vocabulary and RPG's are great for higher level thinking - you need to read, understand, apply, synthesize, judge results, re-read, research, apply math, creativity... good luck and good planning!!

I didn't go into much detail there, but that's what I'm actually aiming for, since pretty much every intelligence can be applied in some way if you're creative enough, it'll make learning more engaging and thus increase the interest to learn. The focus of the MI aspect of it is exactly what you're saying - different people are more/less interested in different things, and RPGs can cover a lot of ground here. I'll see what I can do about the book.. It's highly unlikely I'll be able to get it from the local library :P

LazarX wrote:

What I'm saying here is that you're not going to get much thesis material from the boards on this topic, because you're going to find it hard to find someone who intentionally chose gaming as a language teaching aid compared to other means of interaction, or self teaching through means such as Rosetta Stone.

You may find people who used gaming to teach group interaction, but that's starting with the common communication skills i.e. language and grammar to begin with.

You'd be surprised how much I already got from here ;) As well as from /rpg, /TEFL, /education on reddit. Regarding your debate with necromental; whatever floats your boat man. It's as simple as that, as long as something is keeping you interested, and you're paying attention, both can be good enough. I actually started with English the exact same way. I watched CN for hours on end, and I'd say it got me pretty far :P For kids you want things to be flashy and colorful, while adults will prefer something more serious. Also, regarding what you mentioned earlier:

Quote:
For the most part, roleplaying games don't by themselves help in teaching the language any more than any other form of casual immersion does. If anything, it may confuse the issue due to the concentration of gamer-specific slang which isn't used in general life. If you're looking for examples of people intentionally structuring games to facilitate language learning, that's going to require casting a much tighter net.

You're forgetting about the communicative aspect, problem solving, social interaction, possible cultural aspects, etc. These are all invaluable when it comes to teaching and learning a language. If a word or phrase is too complicated for the age/proficiency level, I'm pretty sure I can allow myself the lenience to do without it ;) Also, just because I'm posting on a Pathfinder forum, doesn't mean I'm only focusing on fantasy. The title is PnPRPGs, not fantasy PnPRPGs. This replies to what Christopher Van Horn said as well :)

Irontruth wrote:

Magician - An RPG that teaches you Korean.

It's an RPG designed specifically around the goal of teaching you a language, while still being an actual RPG. It uses a magic system built off language, which is a pretty common theme in fantasy literature. You build spells by speaking phrases/sentences. Mind you, my knowledge of this game is purely second-hand, so I don't know specifics, but I figure it's probably right up your alley.

Already go that tip from someone on reddit, but thanks, I'll definitely look into it.

BigDTBone wrote:

In this thread I've seen several studies posted and I have personally offered to connect him with someone in the language education field with multiple years of experience using games as a language tool. What more could someone posting in a random thread on the internet hope to get for their thesis?

Also, immersion doesn't mean what you think it means.

Also Also, you should read threads before making blind judgements about what you think you will find in them. Your lead off sentence is patently false. It was false before you wrote it.

And I'll make sure I let you know if I do take up the offer :3 If nothing else it might be some sort of questionnaire, but we'll see when the time comes. My main focus for now is gathering resource material.

The Shining Fool wrote:

Morgrym, I know that the Defense Language Institute uses a lot of games and a lot of roleplaying (though not a lot of roleplaying games) in their teaching of language. You might check with them to see if they have any materials available for scholarly review.

There's also the Center for the Advanced Study of Language (CASL).

Both organization focus on promoting fluency in very short time frames. Both use a lot of "role playing" as a form of linguistic interaction. DLI, at least, does a lot of "story-telling" which could easily be applied to RPGs.

Good luck!

This is a new one for me, thanks! The problem I have with the traditional roleplaying used in classrooms is that I always found it stale, unimaginative, highly artificial, and lacking any real involvement (the ones found in books at least). This is from my days as a learner of course.

____________

In case anyone's interested, here are the links to the reddit discussions

Spoiler:

http://redd.it/2ayr2u
http://redd.it/2alfua
http://redd.it/2ayoub

Also, please, if you know anyone that might be in any way interested or could contribute, do let them know, every bit of info helps :) Thanks everyone!


Morgrym, the Servant of Torag wrote:


necromental wrote:
Odakle si?
Osijek :D

Daleko...Supetar, Brač, igran u Splitu. Guštaj :D


I don't really have anything definitive to offer as source material for your project.
I do, however, think it is excellent of you to take on this "quest" simply because it helps to elevate the reputation of roleplaying games as not only a positive influence on youth but also as a legitimate educational resource.

Good luck!

(Actually... allow me to revise. My wife has written a story set in a dystopian future. The central character IS a roleplayer and his roleplaying experience IS central to his character development and the story. One of the tag-lines for the story is, "What could you gain from gaming?"
Rather than link here in a manner that might be regarded as "hijacking" or "spam," I'll instead invite you to check my profile for details on where to find it free-to-read online. Various entries of her accompanying blog also have a number of researched insights that could be relevant and the story itself might offer you some other creative perspectives. Perhaps that could be helpful?)

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
SeeDarkly_X wrote:

I don't really have anything definitive to offer as source material for your project.

I do, however, think it is excellent of you to take on this "quest" simply because it helps to elevate the reputation of roleplaying games as not only a positive influence on youth but also as a legitimate educational resource.

Good luck!

(Actually... allow me to revise. My wife has written a story set in a dystopian future. The central character IS a roleplayer and his roleplaying experience IS central to his character development and the story. One of the tag-lines for the story is, "What could you gain from gaming?"
Rather than link here in a manner that might be regarded as "hijacking" or "spam," I'll instead invite you to check my profile for details on where to find it free-to-read online. Various entries of her accompanying blog also have a number of researched insights that could be relevant and the story itself might offer you some other creative perspectives. Perhaps that could be helpful?)

Thanks, I'll certainly look into it :D

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Thesis on pen and paper role playing games and education All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion