Should starfall hexes be FFA?


Pathfinder Online

201 to 250 of 623 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Goblin Squad Member

I don't think we will see much segregation of PvP or PvE. People will intermingle. Playstyles will integrate. Each of us can interact to arrange for cooperative ventures utilizing those inclined one way to support one another.

Goblin Squad Member

Audoucet wrote:

A few months ago, Valkenr proposed a "stand your ground" option. It would be a good idea : SYG if you want to keep the ressources for yourself, or accept that some people will mine too.

I really don't see why you should be a free target when you are mining 30 pounds of sky metal, but not if you are transporting 10 000 pounds from settlement A, to settlement B.

Interesting and valid points.

Goblin Squad Member

Areks, lets say I'm harvesting a node, and I see you coming. I then run, because I can't handle that fight and I know it. You then finish harvesting the node.

It doesn't matter *who* harvested the node, only that it was harvested. Unless you are saying that you would deliberately not harvest nodes in order to increase rarity?

Goblin Squad Member

Aet Areks Kel'Goran wrote:
Crash_00 wrote:

That is incredibly unlikely. Whoever is most successful in the hex is going to get those resources, or at least 75% of those resources. There is no other purpose for the PvP to occur.

No one is going to go to a high resource hex and PvP "to keep resources rare." They're going to go PvP in a high resource hex to prevent others from getting the resources. Only an idiot would then leave the resources there when they leave.

What would actually happen, assuming logically minded people are involved, would be a group moving in an denying access to the faucet "to other people" and filling their own canteens.

It doesn't make the resource rarer than it was. It makes the resource rarer to other people.

This will all happen without making a zone FFA. It will just happen less frequently. People will have to actually make meaningful decisions over which groups they attack to get control of the faucet rather than just "gank everyone coming in."

Meaningful decisions are supposed to be a part of the game. Randomly gank everyone situations are not supposed to part of the game.

How does that work, you know filling your canteen while being stabbed repeated in the back with a bastard sword? Oh, that's right. You die, unless you stop filling your canteen long enough to defend yourself. But then you aren't harvesting.

I'm not saying any resources are going to get left. That's absurd. I am saying that time spent defending yourself leads to less time harvesting. 75% of a rare resource is less than 100% thus making it resource rarer.

Because face stabbing only lasts for so long before someone is dead. At which point to the victor go the spoils. There will not be uninterrupted, constant PvP nor enough to prevent the nodes from being harvested. PvP skirmishes will be just that, skirmishes - not constant, unending pvp. Unless these nodes take an hour to harvest, there will be more than ample time to scoop them up.

Goblin Squad Member

Aet Areks Kel'Goran wrote:
Crash_00 wrote:

That is incredibly unlikely. Whoever is most successful in the hex is going to get those resources, or at least 75% of those resources. There is no other purpose for the PvP to occur.

No one is going to go to a high resource hex and PvP "to keep resources rare." They're going to go PvP in a high resource hex to prevent others from getting the resources. Only an idiot would then leave the resources there when they leave.

What would actually happen, assuming logically minded people are involved, would be a group moving in an denying access to the faucet "to other people" and filling their own canteens.

It doesn't make the resource rarer than it was. It makes the resource rarer to other people.

This will all happen without making a zone FFA. It will just happen less frequently. People will have to actually make meaningful decisions over which groups they attack to get control of the faucet rather than just "gank everyone coming in."

Meaningful decisions are supposed to be a part of the game. Randomly gank everyone situations are not supposed to part of the game.

How does that work, you know filling your canteen while being stabbed repeated in the back with a bastard sword? Oh, that's right. You die, unless you stop filling your canteen long enough to defend yourself. But then you aren't harvesting.

I'm not saying any resources are going to get left. That's absurd. I am saying that time spent defending yourself leads to less time harvesting. 75% of a rare resource is less than 100% thus making it resource rarer.

Well if you bothered to think for a moment, you'd see that the analogy is the people fill their canteen after gutting everyone else (denying access).

You seem to be of the assumption that Tier 3 resources spawn fast enough that time spent defending yourself is a major factor. I haven't seen anything to support that. If the starmetal is on a respawn timer of say 48 hours, that five minutes defending yourself is not making things rarer.

As for the 75% is less. I already addressed that. If you're worried that it needs to be rarer, petition the devs to make it rarer. Don't try to throw away the system that makes PvP meaningful.

Goblinworks Executive Founder

Thing is, the threat of getting killed is just as meaningful as actually getting killed. If skymetal is worth a reputation hit, then simply posturing will be sufficient.

If skymetal isn't worth the rep hit, then it isn't both rare and valuable.


Aet Areks Kel'Goran wrote:
Being wrote:
Steelwing wrote:
Personally I would far prefer that rather than making starmetal hexes FFA that they actually increase the rep and alignment penalties for PVP my at least 2 or 3 fold maybe even more
Fascinating. What would that look like, and have you thought of a rationale?

The more harvesters you kill the higher your rep gains become. That actually increases ten fold if you kill folks trying to avoid PvP and 20 fold if you do it while they are quelling an escalation.

That way if you crash your rep by PKing everywhere else, you can go to a skymetal hex and fix it real fast so you can get back to training all the skills needed to ruin the game for other people since they all think that is your intent anyway.

/sarcasm

Hmm did I not explain well or did people skim read assuming they knew what I was going to say

some numbers ( made up :) )

kill a gatherer anywhere without feud etc....lose 100 rep and move 100 towards evil

kill a gatherer in the same situation but in a star metal hex I would like to see the rep loss being at least 300 and the slide towards evil being at least 300

I certainly was not proposing that killing the gatherers increased your rep

Goblin Squad Member

Aet Areks Kel'Goran wrote:


Again, in the interest of rare materials actually being RARE. I would think that the most common distance to a skymetal hex would not be 1 hex distance.

It has been requested that you cite ONE instance where sky metal is 1 hex from a settlement. Other threads have talked that many settlements will not be able to capture the ring of towers one hex from settlements. There are no sky metal hexes in these ringes, BY DESGIN! In many cases the sky metal is one hex further.

1 + 1 = 1 (AeT math)

We have not seen how common these drops will be. We have not seen the much higher challenges that PvE as proposed to be here. There is now a proposal to solve a problem which has yet to be seen.

People are so keen to have consequent free PvP because they do not want reputation hits. On with the gank fest.

It seems you want to reserve these sites to PvP players! Ok, I can see arguing for what is best for you. Just don't assert it is noble and wise that you do. Merely in self interest. Be honest about that. You want to own this 24/7. If others stay away and there is no PvP -- GREAT! More goodies for your team!!


Bringslite of Fidelis wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Bringslite, it's pretty obvious that less will. Not because less that is mined reaches the market—bandits gotta sell that stuff, too—but because fewer gatherers will use a higher-risk venue. Gatherers like Li'l Cal's friends will head elsewhere for their moneys rather than risk consequence-free PvP.
I am not sure why you are being rude toward Caldeathe

Look, when someone has a name that can be easily made into a Homestuck reference, I take advantage.

I apologize to Caldeathe if he read this as an insult, but I'm a bit upset that you would immediately assume I'm trying to insult people.

This thread seemed like it had an interesting idea that might deserve some discussion, but too much emotion is being crammed into it. PvPers are insisting they're being nerfed, gatherers are insisting they're being attacked, and the people who just want to talk get drowned out.

On the bright side, we had steak for dinner last night, so I'm just eating the leftovers for lunch. It's pretty tasty.

Goblin Squad Member

Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Bringslite of Fidelis wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Bringslite, it's pretty obvious that less will. Not because less that is mined reaches the market—bandits gotta sell that stuff, too—but because fewer gatherers will use a higher-risk venue. Gatherers like Li'l Cal's friends will head elsewhere for their moneys rather than risk consequence-free PvP.
I am not sure why you are being rude toward Caldeathe

Look, when someone has a name that can be easily made into a Homestuck reference, I take advantage.

I apologize to Caldeathe if he read this as an insult, but I'm a bit upset that you would immediately assume I'm trying to insult people.

This thread seemed like it had an interesting idea that might deserve some discussion, but too much emotion is being crammed into it. PvPers are insisting they're being nerfed, gatherers are insisting they're being attacked, and the people who just want to talk get drowned out.

On the bright side, we had steak for dinner last night, so I'm just eating the leftovers for lunch. It's pretty tasty.

Very well Mr. Cleaver*. I apologize for writing that. It was an assumption.

*was trying to stay out of here now but this is worthy of one more post

Goblin Squad Member

I'd never heard of Homestuck, and after reading several pages of the wiki, I still don't know anything. Lord, I must be old.

Goblin Squad Member

In general, I will never use a diminutive of a stranger's name unless I'm being deliberately rude. I am not familiar with Homestuck, have no intention of doing so, and did take it as rude, but not so rude as to be worth pouring more fuel on an already burning fire.

(Cut the rest of overly long message)

Goblin Squad Member

I neither agree or disagree with Guurzak's idea, I think it has merit, but I can see the cons of the system, that have already been mentioned by a few people. I will say that there is one aspect no one has mentioned, which to me sounded fairly surprising.

Without a FFA system in star metal, you are incentivizing low rep CE.

If there is the rep system in place, and there's a fair amount of competition such that it would make it near impossible to feud or be at war with everyone at once realistically given influence cost, then you have made low rep CE the single best alignment to be in this situation.

People will hire low rep CE killers to do their dirty work for them, because people hire low rep CE killers, the job looks fairly lucrative. Since the job looks fairly lucrative, more people adopt a low rep CE stance, because people adopt a low rep CE stance, there are now more CE people, then we start back at step 1.

Yes CE will suck, but you get enough CE people and your tier 3 won't beat their tier 1, and they will create their own FFA zone with the backing of organizations that don't want to dirty their hands.

I don't have a particular problem with that, it seems like meaningful human interaction to me, but that is the consequence of not going with Guurzak's idea, you will make CE more beneficial.


Nah, that's a common reaction. Homestuck is one of those things that either bores or fascinates people.

To put it simply, it's an online webcomic/flash animation series about four precocious kids who play a game that destroys the world. They end up allying with an array of equally eccentric characters from other universes and timelines, and eventually find they must defeat a universe-traveling demon. It's a coming-of-age sort of story that blends metahumor with slapstick with horror with drama with romance, with a fair bit of text-based adventure game parodying thrown in.

There's also a creepy puppet named Li'l Cal (possibly a reference to the name of a major villain, Caliborn, who somewhat resembles Cal and is very fond of the puppet).


Caldeathe Baequiannia wrote:
In general, I will never use a diminutive of a stranger's name unless I'm being deliberately rude.

I will keep this in mind, and avoid shortening your name in the future.

Goblin Squad Member

If everyone is CE, then the resource becomes useless. Tier 3 gear needs tier 3 training to be very effective. Tier 3 training requires a high rep. CE is pretty much the result of low rep and evil.

I don't think CE is going to be a very bad threat. CE isn't just unattractive, it sucks horribly. You get stuck with the lowest training and, what are you going to be spending you gains on?

I don't think this gives anymore incentive than any other location in the game does. I mean ganking Tier 3 wearing characters is going to be very lucrative as well, but that can happen anywhere.


Okay, pet peeve time.

Chaotic is not low rep.

Evil is not low rep.

Freevale and Aragon are chaotic settlements, both with their evil sides. We both fully intend on being High Rep (though I can't quite speak for Aragon, I'm pretty sure it's their plan).

Chaotic Evil is often the result of griefer play, but it doesn't go both ways. Almost all griefers will be Chaotic Evil, but not all Chaotic Evil people will be griefers.

I will be very annoyed with Goblinworks if they make alignment a redundant system by basically synching it up with Reputation.

Goblin Squad Member

The resource doesn't become useless, it still holds the same amount of value, you are not hiring them to go and gather the resource for you, and they would have little interest in using the resource themselves. You are hiring them to kill for you, so that you can gather the resource yourself, or so that they will trade you what they get. It's extremely lucrative for them and for the person that hires them.

If you are making the argument that there is nothing for a low rep CE person to spend their blood money on then fair enough. I can't say with any certainty whether that will be the case, but I will say that if they can't then the economy would be fairly odd and very wonky if the only thing that is worth buying is tier 3 stuff.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Almost all griefers will be Chaotic Evil, but not all Chaotic Evil people will be griefers.

At the same time, I believe Chaotic Evil characters will need to be prepared to say--a lot--"no, I'm not one of *them*". Probably in multiple languages.

Simultaneously.


I think a lot of Chaotic Evil characters will keep their alignment a pretty closely-guarded secret, yeah. ;D

Goblin Squad Member

Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Almost all griefers will be Chaotic Evil, but not all Chaotic Evil people will be griefers.

How about "almost all" Chaotic Evil people will be griefers? Or maybe just "the vast majority"?

I worry that a lot of griefers will try to use the argument that it's hypothetically possible they're not griefers as a shield.

Goblin Squad Member

Murderhobos are going to be limited to Tier 1 training and support fairly quickly. Since gear's primary boost at Tier 2 and 3 are increased keywords (that you need Tier 2 and 3 training to make use of), gear higher than Tier 1 simply isn't that big of a deal to someone that only has Tier 1 training.

Without being able to get higher training or benefit from better gear, I just don't see what use they have for the money.

That's the issue. You can try to hire them, sure, but why would they take the job when they don't need the money? They could do the same thing and get the same effective benefit from murderhoboing in much safer areas.

So, then what happens? You have to go kill people yourself. That shifts you toward murderhoboville status, which limits your training, which limits your benefit from higher tier gear. Sure you slaughter everyone and get your gear, but then the gear isn't worth as much because you can't train (or get support) to keep your skill up.

The rep system and tier systems both fully support not becoming a murderhobo. What you need the resources for require you to not be a murderhobo to benefit from them.


Nihimon wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Almost all griefers will be Chaotic Evil, but not all Chaotic Evil people will be griefers.
How about "almost all" Chaotic Evil people will be griefers? Or maybe just "the vast majority"?

I think there are enough people confusing Reputation and Alignment without us making it easier.

In the demo room, I heard a guy talking to the Goblinworkers for a bit as they explained the system to him. It annoyed me, because he clearly got the impression that, as he roughly put it, "So, if you're evil, you won't be able to train stuff."

I wanted to correct him, but didn't want to interrupt, so he left still with that opinion.

You say you're worried "griefers will try to use the argument that it's hypothetically possible they're not griefers as a shield". That reeks of a "guilty-until-proven-innocent" mindset, so I hope you can clarify it for me.

Goblin Squad Member

Kobold Cleaver wrote:
You say you're worried "griefers will try to use the argument that it's hypothetically possible they're not griefers as a shield". That reeks of a "guilty-until-proven-innocent" mindset, so I hope you can clarify it for me.

I don't think you need to worry about "guilty until proven innocent". We can't see Alignment at a glance. We'll judge folks by their Reputation directly, not through the proxy of Alignment.

If you're High Reputation Chaotic Evil, you're just High Reputation for the sake of how other players will generally react to you. Likewise, if you're Low Reputation Lawful Good, you're just Low Reputation. I mean, not all Lawful Good players will be High Reputation...


Alright. What's this referencing, though?

Nihimon wrote:
I worry that a lot of griefers will try to use the argument that it's hypothetically possible they're not griefers as a shield.

Goblin Squad Member

Fair enough, I don't have a retort to discredit that argument since I don't know what good gold is for at the moment. I will however clarify that because of the thread system if the only thing of value is tier 2 or tier 3 gear, then the economy will be very wonky and gold will be less valuable as a whole regardless of alignment or rep.

Most people will not use tier 3 because of the time and effort to gather mats, they will save that for big battles and not small everyday time. Most guilds will default to tier 2 then, and will have an utter surplus that such a settlement will require by default to maintain day to day operations of keeping poi's defended or expanding territory etc.

So if tier 3 is rarely used and tier 2 is fairly plentiful for the large guilds, and the only thing worth spending money on is those two things that guilds already have, what is the point of money then?

Goblin Squad Member

Recipes, training, taxes, bulk supplies, repairs. There are plenty of ways the economy can and will work with the system they have in place. Gear doesn't last forever.

It's not that there isn't anything else to spend money on. It's more about what there is to spend money on as a low rep character. Training gets capped fast. Settlements that take you are likely extremely simple with less need of bulk supplies due to rep restrictions on buildings and tiers. Reparis will be cheap for Tier 1 gear and likewise, tier 1 recipes are likely to be cheap.

@Kobold Cleaver
I look at what Ryan said about Chaotic Evil Characters.
"It is doubtful to me if it will be possible to play a Chaotic Evil character Chaotically and Evilly without getting a crippled character as a result."

I was thinking the same way before I saw that he was thinking that way though. Chaotic Evil characters action should fall in line with those actions that lower your rep. If they aren't, you're not actually playing CE, you just have it on the sheet.


Hm. And shortly after—

Ryan Dancey wrote:

@Proxima Sin - you appear to be proceeding from a false premise. I have no intention of making a game where people who want to play Chaotic Evil characters will be happy with their experience. One of the design goals of this game is not "Let people play every alignment option in rough balance with all the others". In fact the exact opposite is true: we're intentionally and publicly stating we have a bias and we'll intentionally sacrifice an alignment for the purpose of overall community quality.

I find this...stupid. Perhaps Goblinworks, in its rush to protect the Lawful, Neutral and Good parts of the playerbase, has made it too easy to PvP without alignment hits.

Or perhaps this is just not the game I was assuming it was. That's also pretty possible. I'm not saying I don't like the game it is, but I'm pretty bummed out by this right now.


Regardless, it doesn't hurt my playstyle, as I'm playing a CN graverobber, but I'm bummed that anybody who wants to play a non-lawful bad guy is going to have to keep their actual nonlawful behavior to out-of-game roleplay.

Goblin Squad Member

I don't see it that way at all. I see it as them protecting the CE alignment. CE characters are those rat-bastards. They are the bad guys. Not the subtle bad guys, the blatant bad guys. If you want to play the blatant bad guy, you have to act accordingly, and take the penalties that come with it.

Goblin Squad Member

Recipes are learned forever, training is still capped with xp so it won't be a daily thing, and we haven't seen if there will be a gold sink to training or not, or if that just pays back into additional taxes. Bulk supplies will still be needed by any settlement, and given that poi's create said bulk supplies, and that attacking outposts is an alignment shift sometimes [When it's made illegal] and not a rep hit, most places will attack rather then spend money, or do whichever is easier and less costly.

Taxes generally go to pay repairs so they kind of cancel each other out, and we don't know how expensive tier 2 is to repair. It could be a fairly moderate cost, and not something that makes a large gold sink.

The only thing we know about that will for sure be a good gold sink is things that are rare or difficult to obtain like the star metal, which large settlements will want lots of to store in reserves for rainy days. There's also the Emerald Spire which might be rare if there is a cd on when someone else can reattempt and the loot was decent or novel. Aside from that I'm not seeing where anyone would reasonably spend loads of money regardless of alignment or rep, right now we're not seeing a cost to training.

Perhaps potions? Those would be used in vast quantities, that would be a decent gold sink that everyone would need loads of on a daily basis.

Actually thinking about it, we already have a really good gold sink for everyone including low rep CE that sort of brings it all together. Subscription time paid for with in game money.


How is penalizing an alignment protecting it? If your idea of "protecting" is putting it in a glass case so it can never be used...

The whole reason Chaotic Evil is despicable is because the only disadvantage is that everyone hates you. You're the Joffrey, the orc raider, the Gamzee Makara. In a system where your power is limited by Reputation, you gain a second disadvantage in that you can't be very powerful.

Reputation isn't a realistic mechanic, it's a necessary one. And apparently one that removes the most dangerous sort of villain from viable play.

Goblin Squad Member

Kobold Cleaver wrote:

Alright. What's this referencing, though?

Nihimon wrote:
I worry that a lot of griefers will try to use the argument that it's hypothetically possible they're not griefers as a shield.

Alright, maybe I misunderstood.

In-game, you won't have to worry about it. On the forums, I think it's going to come down to the fullest view we have. Declaring yourself CE isn't enough to make me think you are a griefer. However, it might make other folks.

The key is that it's okay if some people conflate Chaotic Evil with Low Reputation. It (almost certainly) will be correlated most of the time.

As for "guilty until proven innocent", does it actually matter in the forums where no one can actually execute their judgment on you?


If reputation is purely character based (assumed at this point) then hiring low rep CE characters will not really be necessary. My current understanding of Reputation and Alignment suggests there will be a dichotomy of low rep activity not a real reduction. People will have high rep main character(s) and separate low rep character(s) to do the dirty work. IMO

I would envision that most of the loot bandits and murderhobos get will be quickly shifted to their high rep main character to use / trade / stockpile. Having starmetal hexes as FFA does not seem necessary, pvp will occur and it will take a group effort to acquire it by gathering or looting. A party that provided cover for the high lvl gatherer to mine the node is not going to send the gatherer back to town alone.

Goblinworks Executive Founder

Most dangerous ? The most stupid, the most psychopath, the one who will kill you just 'cause.

The exact definition of what we don't want in this game. Even on tabletop, it is not advised, to play this alignment.

Goblin Squad Member

Correct Loki, I'm not saying Guurzak's idea is good one way or another because of that reason and a few others, merely that it makes low rep CE even more useful in this specific situation. The only thing FFA would do is make low rep CE less useful and special.


"Most dangerous" in that the Chaotic Evil guy is the most likely to incur a high body count, not in that he's most dangerous to you. He's the guy who tends to miss.

Anyways, I'd rather not hijack this thread. Feel free to go back to the matter at hand.

Goblin Squad Member

TEO Alexander Damocles wrote:

Areks, lets say I'm harvesting a node, and I see you coming. I then run, because I can't handle that fight and I know it. You then finish harvesting the node.

It doesn't matter *who* harvested the node, only that it was harvested. Unless you are saying that you would deliberately not harvest nodes in order to increase rarity?

Say you don't run and choose to aid in your groups defense. That is time that you did not spend harvesting. Where potential resources could be coming from the faucet and weren't.

It doesn't matter who harvests what node under whichever circumstances.

1 hour of harvesting will yield more resources than 50 minutes of harvesting, or 40 minutes, or 30 minutes. How do you stop someone from harvesting? You attack them.

It does not matter who is harvesting. If less time is spent harvesting less resources are gathered. If less resources are gathered, those resources are more valuable.

If you presume that everyone will run, then my reasoning is flawed, but I assume some people will actually fight for what they want, bring guards, do some prior planning, etc. in which case, they wouldn't run. They would stand and fight... and maybe keep harvesting if they are so equipped.

But... if you kill that harvester, do you automatically start harvesting? No, half their team is still there fighting back. You clear the area, secure it, and start harvesting. That's a few minutes off the clock.

They come back with wizards. They start dropping cones and AoEs on the harvest area. Your harvesters stop harvesting and get to safety. Another few minutes off the clock.

You fend them off and your harvesters come back to harvesting.

In that amount of time, less resources have been pulled from the node, than would have been pulled without conflict.

Will this scenario happen anyway? Yes. Will it be more likely to happen with lessened PvP restrictions? Yes.

The resource is a utilized node that produces something of value. The less time people have to utilized it, the less value it produces.

Goblin Squad Member

Aet Areks Kel'Goran wrote:


1 hour of harvesting will yield more resources than 50 minutes of harvesting, or 40 minutes, or 30 minutes. How do you stop someone from harvesting? You attack them.

But five hours does not produce more than three hours if there are only two hours worth of harvestable resource. Your argument only holds validity in a system where the spawn rate is greater than the harvest rate.

Goblin Squad Member

Areks, I think you are under the assumption that starmetal nodes will be able to be farmed continuously in these hexes. I find it more likely that there will be a small number of nodes, that spawn randomly, and a lot of dead time between nodes. If there is only 20 minutes worth of mineable starmetal per hour, and you drive a group off, you have plenty of time to harvest it. Your theory only works if there is an unlimited amount of starmetal, and that there will be enough to go around for all the crafters who wander by.

I think the devs would lower the number of nodes until it becomes a serious fight for each and every node. That maximizes meaningful human interaction.

Goblinworks Executive Founder

If there were enough that spending a small amount of time not gathering diminishes the return on overall time, there is so much that more people can gather without conflict.


Steelwing wrote:
Personally I would far prefer that rather than making starmetal hexes FFA that they actually increase the rep and alignment penalties for PVP my at least 2 or 3 fold maybe even more

This would serve to promote the reputation mechanic and highlight how naughty it is of people to kill those not flagged for PvP to you. Surely a good thing for all.

Of course, it would make rogues using the SAD mechanic a much desired commodity also.

Goblin Squad Member

disclaimer: I have not read every post in this thread so I am sorry if I repeat anything but I have an idea I want to present to the community.

Ok it seems most community members do not want a 24/7 pvp flagged hex for many reasons. Other members argue pvp would add many factors to the player interaction in those hexes related to harvesting starmetal.

What if the hex was not pvp flagged BUT carrying / transporting raw star metal gives you some kind of (limited) pvp flag. Think of the possibilities this could lead to! The logistical problems related to transporting star metal goes through the roof and would intensify player interaction.

This is just off the top of my head and I thought it was interesting enough to throw out to you all to chew on. Enjoy!

Goblin Squad Member

There are fewer Starmetal hexes than any other type. That fact alone will mean a near-constant war at all of them.

Do we need something beyond "near-constant war"?

Goblin Squad Member

Multi-planar near constant war?

Goblin Squad Member

Awesome Mordred!! That's an outstanding idea... I hadn't even thought of that but it doesn't meet my intent.

Scarab Sages Goblinworks Executive Founder

Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Regardless, it doesn't hurt my playstyle, as I'm playing a CN graverobber, but I'm bummed that anybody who wants to play a non-lawful bad guy is going to have to keep their actual nonlawful behavior to out-of-game roleplay.

Re-derail, just for a sec. :P

What about the NE folks who skirt the line of chaos and law? You can be non-lawful evil without being chaotic. You just pick and choose the laws you want to follow rather then trying to not follow any.

Goblin Squad Member

I'm not sure it makes sense for you to mystically sense that someone is carrying skymetal - seems like the sort of thing you'd want scouts and/or divining experts to determine.

A high value target is a high value target - determining just how good of a target they are is up to the hunter.

Goblin Squad Member

Or another use for the "Observe" skill. The ones harvesting and transporting would get the "Being Observed" debuff indicator. =)

Goblin Squad Member

In general I support the diversification of required skills, so absolutely. Hah.

201 to 250 of 623 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Digital Games / Pathfinder Online / Should starfall hexes be FFA? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.