Paizo News: Paizo Launches Worldwide Organized Play Program for the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game General Discussion

51 to 74 of 74 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
The Exchange

In PFSACG, how I make sure that my local store follow the good steps to register to get the scenario each week, since the store appears in the paizo.com/retailers.

I ask my VL and he isn't even sure. It would help also for the store to know which Class Deck to preorder for the players that will manifest their interest to get involve in the OP.

If a scenario came out in the store and I will organize the game, can I use those scenario in a local convention where the store will have a stand in the gaming section of this convention?

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Is it still the case the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Organized play scenarios are set to be 1 hour of game play?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

dragonvan,

If your store is listed on our retailer locator, they were sent an email on Friday telling them about the program, and instructing them to update their listing, and—most importantly—checking the box that says they're interested in PFSACG Organized Play.

As for which class deck to preorder, there's no right answer—all of them are valid choices for PFSACG play. If you already know which one you want, let them know!

VCs, VLs and stores that have access to the scenarios can use them at conventions as well.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dragnmoon,

PFSACG scenarios should take about the same time to play as non-OP scenarios, but we recommend setting aside a 2-hour block—this allows time for setup before play and deck adjustments after play.

Grand Lodge Global Organized Play Coordinator

WilliamD763 wrote:
Andrew K wrote:
Is it normal that I emailed Mike Brock about being a VO on June 26, and a follow-up in July 10, and haven't gotten a reply? As we get closer, I'm getting more concerned I haven't heard anything back.

It appears to be normal, as I've had the same experience, sent initial email on June 26, a follow-up on July 9 asking did you receive my previous e-mail. Still haven't heard anything.

I can understand that they wanted to get e-mail from interested people before they were ready to announce all the details. But not responding with at least a 'we got your e-mail, we will be in touch' means that they run the risk of some people getting left out since they can't know that their e-mail didn't get through.

I have received and replied to every email, even with the busy time of PaizoCon and my vacation the week afterward. Please check your spam filter. If you emailed without going through the closest VC, my reply was to please work with that person to send in your request since you will be working directly with that VC for prize support for regional and local conventions.

We are waiting until we have the NDA in place, rewards for VLs set up, etc... to proceed with appointments of VLs.

Sovereign Court

Michael Brock wrote:
WilliamD763 wrote:
Andrew K wrote:
Is it normal that I emailed Mike Brock about being a VO on June 26, and a follow-up in July 10, and haven't gotten a reply? As we get closer, I'm getting more concerned I haven't heard anything back.

It appears to be normal, as I've had the same experience, sent initial email on June 26, a follow-up on July 9 asking did you receive my previous e-mail. Still haven't heard anything.

I can understand that they wanted to get e-mail from interested people before they were ready to announce all the details. But not responding with at least a 'we got your e-mail, we will be in touch' means that they run the risk of some people getting left out since they can't know that their e-mail didn't get through.

I have received and replied to every email, even with the busy time of PaizoCon and my vacation the week afterward. Please check your spam filter. If you emailed without going through the closest VC, my reply was to please work with that person to send in your request since you will be working directly with that VC for prize support for regional and local conventions.

We are waiting until we have the NDA in place, rewards for VLs set up, etc... to proceed with appointments of VLs.

Weird, I just double checked, and nothing. Never came up on my phone which I always have set to show every email from every folder including Junk at the same time. I don't mean to sound pushy, and I think it's awesome that even with PaizoCon you were still handling emails for PACG, I just don't have a response anywhere in my email and was getting concerned so close to release.

I talked my VC back in April, and all I really got from it was that I could do it and to check with my FLGS that it was OK. No information about what anything actually entailed.

Oh, and uhhh... rewards for VLs you say?


Sir Barnick wrote:

And since some people will find the organized play as defined helpful then I guess it's better than nothing (although a PDF is just some bits on a computer... so that's as close to nothing as you can get).

You of all people should know it's not the channel of distribution but the content created that's distributed that takes the effort.

All that code you're toiling away writing... it's just bits on a computer, as close to nothing as you can get.

The Exchange

Vic Wertz wrote:

dragonvan,

If your store is listed on our retailer locator, they were sent an email on Friday telling them about the program, and instructing them to update their listing, and—most importantly—checking the box that says they're interested in PFSACG Organized Play.

As for which class deck to preorder, there's no right answer—all of them are valid choices for PFSACG play. If you already know which one you want, let them know!

VCs, VLs and stores that have access to the scenarios can use them at conventions as well.

Thanks!

The store follows the step that you wrote.

At least, I know that my local store can ask for the players to pre-order one or more of the Class Deck.

Do we still need to get in touch with the local VC or it isn't necessary at the moment of the schedule?


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
I have received and replied to every email, even with the busy time of PaizoCon and my vacation the week afterward.

This is great news, thanks for the effort.

Michael Brock wrote:

Please check your spam filter. If you emailed without going through the closest VC, my reply was to please work with that person to send in your request since you will be working directly with that VC for prize support for regional and local conventions.

There is nothing caught by my spam filter that is from Paizo or Mike. Since at least two people have the same problem, perhaps Paizo's spam filter is tossing messages.

I also tried sending e-mail to the local VC, but the reply I got was "I don't think I've gotten the details on that but I'll see what's available." But I've not heard back in 3 weeks. I'll hit him up again though. I also got the local retailer to sign up over two weeks ago, but they've not heard anything either. And for some reason they still aren't on the retailer list...
So I figured there must not be any news.

Hopefully the local VC can help.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
WilliamD763 wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
I have received and replied to every email, even with the busy time of PaizoCon and my vacation the week afterward.

This is great news, thanks for the effort.

Michael Brock wrote:
Please check your spam filter. If you emailed without going through the closest VC, my reply was to please work with that person to send in your request since you will be working directly with that VC for prize support for regional and local conventions.
There is nothing caught by my spam filter that is from Paizo or Mike. Since at least two people have the same problem, perhaps Paizo's spam filter is tossing messages.

I also sent Mike an email over the weekend based on this post from Vic to express my interest in being a Venture Officer for the PACG in my area and requesting a little more information on if there might be some differences responsibility wise compared to the RPG officers. I also haven't gotten a response, but It was just two days ago when I sent mine. It would be nice to know if it at least made it to its destination. Thank you for all of your hard work and I can't wait for more information to come out about the card game OP!

Grand Lodge Global Organized Play Coordinator

I've resent the following email to everyone I have received emails from expressing an interest, You should have received it. Here it is:

We are still nailing down requirements for the card game VL position, what support and rewards will be available, etc... Also, you will need to work with whichever VC is closest to you regionally as they will be completing convention support requests for physical product as prize support. If you have not already done so, please email them to get the ball rolling on that end.

I am currently in England and won't be back in the office until Aug. 4. Once I'm there, I will see if any decisions have been finalized and approved. Please keep in mind that it will be two weeks before Gen Con and official appointments of VLs may not be made until after.

Sovereign Court

That one I got, thanks a lot Mike! I'll check in with my VC and see if he has any more information than 3 months ago. Other than that, I guess it's back to playing the waiting game.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I also got that email. Thank you for the heads up. I sent an email to the two VCs closest to me just in case. I'll try to wait patiently for more information as it comes.


Just dropping into the convo with a couple of quick questions. I'm in the Utica, NY area - I see that I have venture officers in Albany (about an hour and change away to the east) and in Syracuse (45 min to an hour to the west). We do not have a participating store that I could locate between Albany and Syracuse.

Traveling to either in order to participate is unlikely due to my work schedule and children... Getting out for a couple of hour event with 90 - 120 minute round trip drive isn't feasible. At least not on a weekly or even bi-weekly basis.

So, that all being said. I know that I will be able to play at home and report the results from home play, but I am a little anxious with prize support starting to be mentioned and all that.

For those of us without participating stores within a reasonable distance, is it possible to get further organization so that we can play the same way it would anywhere else with the same support? Is an hour either way enough distance to justify me possibly becoming a VO for the Utica area and running a group here? Should I just email Mike and the VC in Syracuse and go from there?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
JBiggs78 wrote:

Just dropping into the convo with a couple of quick questions. I'm in the Utica, NY area - I see that I have venture officers in Albany (about an hour and change away to the east) and in Syracuse (45 min to an hour to the west). We do not have a participating store that I could locate between Albany and Syracuse.

For those of us without participating stores within a reasonable distance, is it possible to get further organization so that we can play the same way it would anywhere else with the same support? Is an hour either way enough distance to justify me possibly becoming a VO for the Utica area and running a group here? Should I just email Mike and the VC in Syracuse and go from there?

JBiggs,

I'm nobody official, but here's my understanding on the VO system based on how the PFS RPG works in my area. A Venture Captain (VC) will be responsible for some geographic area, and he or she will have Venture-Lieutenants in subdivisions of that area. Looking at the list, I am supposing that your closest Venture Captain is the one in Albany, and that the Syracuse VL likely reports to the VC in Albany. That doesn't meant that any play would happen strictly in the city limits of those areas, of course.

Is there a game store that is near you that *could* be participating? You could talk to them and see if they'd have any interest partnering with Paizo in some capacity. I'm sure the VOs near you would have some guidance in approaching a store or other venue if you were to email them and ask.


First World Bard wrote:
JBiggs78 wrote:

Just dropping into the convo with a couple of quick questions. I'm in the Utica, NY area - I see that I have venture officers in Albany (about an hour and change away to the east) and in Syracuse (45 min to an hour to the west). We do not have a participating store that I could locate between Albany and Syracuse.

For those of us without participating stores within a reasonable distance, is it possible to get further organization so that we can play the same way it would anywhere else with the same support? Is an hour either way enough distance to justify me possibly becoming a VO for the Utica area and running a group here? Should I just email Mike and the VC in Syracuse and go from there?

JBiggs,

I'm nobody official, but here's my understanding on the VO system based on how the PFS RPG works in my area. A Venture Captain (VC) will be responsible for some geographic area, and he or she will have Venture-Lieutenants in subdivisions of that area. Looking at the list, I am supposing that your closest Venture Captain is the one in Albany, and that the Syracuse VL likely reports to the VC in Albany. That doesn't meant that any play would happen strictly in the city limits of those areas, of course.

Is there a game store that is near you that *could* be participating? You could talk to them and see if they'd have any interest partnering with Paizo in some capacity. I'm sure the VOs near you would have some guidance in approaching a store or other venue if you were to email them and ask.

Thanks man... there is nothing that I'm aware of in my immediate area. Usually any of my gaming needs either get satisfied online or on trips out to Syracuse. I did have the privilege of seeing a great store the last time I visited my sister in Rochester... eh... but I digress. I'll reach out to Albany and Syracuse and see what I can do for the Utica area.

Appreciate the response.


Vic Wertz wrote:

Dragnmoon,

PFSACG scenarios should take about the same time to play as non-OP scenarios, but we recommend setting aside a 2-hour block—this allows time for setup before play and deck adjustments after play.

Vic,

I made the rounds yesterday in my local area and got one store to sign up for the retailer list, and two others to commit to doing so. Since the emails went out last Friday, is there going to be another push to retailers about this, or is there another resource I can point my FLGSs to?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

I'll be sending another email to retailers within a week or so.

Please tell your retailer to keep an eye out for an envelope labeled "Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Organized Play Announcement and Promo Cards." It should be arriving from their distributor along with Paizo's July releases.


Vic Wertz wrote:

I'll be sending another email to retailers within a week or so.

Please tell your retailer to keep an eye out for an envelope labeled "Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Organized Play Announcement and Promo Cards." It should be arriving from their distributor along with Paizo's July releases.

Perrrrrrfect. Thanks!


One of the local PFS guys talked to me about this for one of our local stores. I may be interested in being a coordinator for the Bellingham WA area if there is a need, but I need a little more info on what that would require of my time before I commit. Anyway... setting that out there is you need some folks in NE Wa state.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
Also, you will need to work with whichever VC is closest to you regionally as they will be completing convention support requests for physical product as prize support. If you have not already done so, please email them to get the ball rolling on that end.

So like I said before, I contacted two closest VCs to me. I wasn't sure if the closest VC (the only one in New Mexico) was still active, so I also contacted the VC for Phoenix AZ. He's been helping me out, but he said that he probably won't be able to provide VC support, that he doesn't have any influence outside of Arizona. If that's true and if I never hear back from the New Mexico VC, what would my options be at that point?

Sovereign Court

pluvia33 wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
Also, you will need to work with whichever VC is closest to you regionally as they will be completing convention support requests for physical product as prize support. If you have not already done so, please email them to get the ball rolling on that end.
So like I said before, I contacted two closest VCs to me. I wasn't sure if the closest VC (the only one in New Mexico) was still active, so I also contacted the VC for Phoenix AZ. He's been helping me out, but he said that he probably won't be able to provide VC support, that he doesn't have any influence outside of Arizona. If that's true and if I never hear back from the New Mexico VC, what would my options be at that point?

You're always welcome to make the drive to southern Arizona where I'll be running it at the local game shop :)


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Andrew K wrote:
You're always welcome to make the drive to southern Arizona where I'll be running it at the local game shop :)

Haha! Thanks, I'm sure the shop is great, but that's not really my issue. I have a local store right here in town and I plan on running the OP there, I'm just told that I need VC support for prizes and stuff. I'm kind of curious to know if I can just go straight to being a card game only Venture Captain myself, but I'll probably have to wait until the complete OP guide for the card game is released to know that.

The Exchange

pluvia33 wrote:
Haha! Thanks, I'm sure the shop is great, but that's not really my issue. I have a local store right here in town and I plan on running the OP there, I'm just told that I need VC support for prizes and stuff. I'm kind of curious to know if I can just go straight to being a card game only Venture Captain myself, but I'll probably have to wait until the complete OP guide for the card game is released to know that.

The "Prize Support" that Mike was talking about was door prizes for convention-level play. For PFSRPG the minimum is 15 tables over three days, I doubt they have yet nailed down what the card game minimum will be. Generally the RPG prizes are special chronicles to give a minor boon to a character though larger conventions may get some print material. Conventions with a large PACG presence will probably get some promo cards and maybe a class deck or two. (Just speculation, of course.) There is no direct prize support for normal game days.

If your local store is signed up as a retailer of the PACG with Paizo (http://paizo.com/paizo/about/retailers) they will get all the scenarios, promotional cards, and other store goodies automatically. You don't need to be a VL to run a game day, anyone can register an event. A Venture-Officer is usually more responsible for coordinating large swathes of game days and conventions than one store.

The other 'support':
There is a separate "support" issue being worked on as well. Paizo is looking at how to ensure that either the store or a player has the necessary base sets and expansions. (If six people show up all going "I don't have the box, do you have a box?" that's not so good.) One possible solution would be to provide the VLs with the materials and scenarios, but that would put the onus on them to be at every store that wouldn't supply its own.

So if you are interested in growing PFACG beyond your local store, by all means sign up to be a VL! At the moment it's simply easier to coordinate everything through the existing PFSRPG structure. But even without Venture-Officers, local game days can still go forward. If you still haven't heard back from your VC after GenCon you can try contacting Mike directly. Right now is insanity (convention) season, it won't be until September that Paizo staff have a chance to breathe.

51 to 74 of 74 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Card Game / General Discussion / Paizo News: Paizo Launches Worldwide Organized Play Program for the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion