[Community Project] Wayfinder #12 Call for Submissions


Community Use

151 to 200 of 370 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Going to try and get some articles written up before the deadline. School time table has moved up from September to next Monday, and I've still got to job hunt :(

I'll do the best I can.


Er... I suppose now would be a good time to ask.

Do these fiction shorts need to have an actual ending, or can they end with cliff-hangers?

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

Artemis Moonstar wrote:

Er... I suppose now would be a good time to ask.

Do these fiction shorts need to have an actual ending, or can they end with cliff-hangers?

What a short story should be is contained....cliffhangers end on something really unanswered that the reader REALLY REALLY wants to know. The end of a book that you KNOW you will pick up the next one...that can have a cliffhanger. A short 2 page story...not so much.

I would prefer a vignette...a short scene or sketch that is (or can be) part of something bigger. At 1500 or 750 words, it works well, and lays the groundwork for a bigger story that the reader will want to know more about (if you want to tell them). I recommend you download some of our past issues, and read some of the fiction pieces, to get a feel for what others have done with the word count limits.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Uh oh - now starts to wonder if his twist is going to be considered a cliff hanger... cry >.<

*whistles innocently while twiddling fingers behind his back*

*move along now, this is not the cliff hanger you think it is*

Liberty's Edge Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Anthony Adam wrote:

Uh oh - now starts to wonder if his twist is going to be considered a cliff hanger... cry >.<

*whistles innocently while twiddling fingers behind his back*

*move along now, this is not the cliff hanger you think it is*

I would say that twists or similar questions left at the end of a story are risky, but not grounds for automatic disqualification. For example, Todd Steward's "Xaos Night" story from #11 leaves you wondering who the main character really is and what she's going to do. But there's enough story prior to the end that it doesn't feel like it has to have a follow-on story in order to be complete.

That's really the difference. Don't put us in a position where your submission would make us feel obligated to publish something in a future issue or direct people to a different place in order to complete your story. (Full Disclosure: I was guilty of this in one of the earlier Wayfinder issues. I've since learned that this method just doesn't work well.)


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Cool, I think I'm safe on that score then, my ending has both a satisfying and ending ending - it doesn't force any follow up/sequel in any way - that was the mistake I made in #11 submissions >.<.

The twist at the end is more of the sort of twist that smacks you between the shoulder-blades after sneaking up on you like an assassin leaping from the shadows ;)

One more submission... sigh, come on muse, wake up - we still have time to do one more before deadline.


Fired off a PM to Timitius about it...

CLiff-hanger was misused... Twist fits it much more easily.

Along with the issue of whether or not it's like Marvel and "good guys must always win, no exceptions" or if failure's an option.


Hero's Hoard and Bestiary entries submitted!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Nice one Garret!

Come on peeps, lets get those submissions in and get that submission count up to where it should be :)

Grand Lodge

Short story in revision.
Weal and Woe article in rough draft.

I may still have another piece coming.


I'm trying to pound a couple of short stories into submission, but they are not cooperating.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Sounds like we're going to be fiction-heavy. I too am trying to finish off a short story I promised Tim.

Contributor

Ack, yeah I have 2 stories and 1 Weal and Woe all finished and was going to send tonight....hmmm maybe I'll scrap one.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I will have a beastie shortly! It just came to me, so it will be ready soon. . . not what I was planning to write originally.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

And its away.

Contributor

w0ot! Just submitted my 3.

I apologize Tim, I wasn't really sure what I should label the last article I sent in as? (The Ruins of Aruk article) I labeled it short fiction, but is a short fiction about a location that ends with a magic item.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Neil Spicer wrote:
Sounds like we're going to be fiction-heavy. I too am trying to finish off a short story I promised Tim.

My first thought - Awesome - Neil's contributing a story...

immediately followed with

Noooooooooo, Neil's contributing a story to compete for story slots >.<

Grin.

Hmmm, not many beasties mentioned, so I might just have to do another one as my third submission :)

Scarab Sages

Sorry I've been off the radar, due to school holidays, and having to repair a broken shower cubicle, which I can't do when I've an incontinent kid dancing round me, needing it 12 hours a day. Guhhhh.

I do have an idea, but aren't sure the best way to present it.

When you have an idea for expanding a class, which is already designed to be highly customisable, with a buffet of talents/powers/tricks/deeds, etc, what is the deciding factor that justifies the creation of an archetype? And when should it just be extra options on the smorgasbord list?

Grand Lodge

Fiction piece #1 submitted. Working on Weal & Woe (which is related to Fiction #1 but is a standalone piece) and possibly an adventure hook article.

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jeffrey Swank wrote:

w0ot! Just submitted my 3.

I apologize Tim, I wasn't really sure what I should label the last article I sent in as? (The Ruins of Aruk article) I labeled it short fiction, but is a short fiction about a location that ends with a magic item.

Sounds kind of like a fluff article then.

Yes, those are terms we use....

I should actually let everyone know our categories that we use!

Adventure - our 3000+ word side trek adventures
Advice - GMing advice and ideas
Bestiary
Class - articles dealing with archetypes, PrCs, new classes, and new class features
Crunch - rules-heavy articles. Feats, spells, new rule variants, equipment, etc.
Fiction
Fluff - articles that describe the campaign setting...rules light. Our Gazetteer articles are here, as well as articles on notable NPCS and such.
Magic items - our Heroes' Hoard articles and such.
Poetry - also songs!
Realm - realm building articles
Side Treks - our shorter side trek seeds.
Weal or Woe

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

Update....20 articles received.

Bestiary - 6
Class - 3
Crunch - 2
Fiction - 3
Fluff - 2
Magic Items - 2
Side Trek - 1
WoW - 1

A good balance right now, but I'm really hoping to see 50+ submissions by the deadline....

I am also considering opening up another Open Call for Art Submissions to fill the pages, in the event that we do not get enough articles.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

What category is the Gazetteer considered? Realm?

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

theheadkase wrote:
What category is the Gazetteer considered? Realm?

Fluff - articles that describe the campaign setting...rules light. Our Gazetteer articles are here, as well as articles on notable NPCS and such.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

Doh! *Forehead smack* Thanks, not sure why I couldn't see that!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Snorter wrote:

Sorry I've been off the radar, due to school holidays, and having to repair a broken shower cubicle, which I can't do when I've an incontinent kid dancing round me, needing it 12 hours a day. Guhhhh.

I do have an idea, but aren't sure the best way to present it.

When you have an idea for expanding a class, which is already designed to be highly customisable, with a buffet of talents/powers/tricks/deeds, etc, what is the deciding factor that justifies the creation of an archetype? And when should it just be extra options on the smorgasbord list?

If you are adding to an existing menu of selections, I guess it's not going to be an archetype. However, once you start comparing relative power of those selections, you might find that you want to start saying "At third level.... This replaces Xyz" - at that point it has become an archetype.

I would seriously consider going the archetype route simply because you can use the templates from RPG Superstar archetype rounds as a good starter for formatting and presentation and at the same time provide good focus on all the various parts you need to be complete :)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I'd say it becomes an archetype when its an all or nothing choice-- does your type of thing take X instead of this Rogue talent, Y instead of that one and Z in place of another ability?

Or are you adding X, Y, and Z as new rogue talents that any rogue could take in place of any of their rogue talents?

(Or deeds, or rage powers, ect.)

Scarab Sages

Thanks for the comments.

I've been reading the chapter on class design in the ACG, to see if it was covered there (it isn't).

I will probably try the archetype route, to invert the rationale behind prestige classes. Huh?
Well, a PrC is explicitly something that should only be accessible later in one's career, while I'm envisioning a career, and social caste that would be trained from an early age, which not only ensures it should be available at level 1, but could also lock out the uninitiated, even if they are members of the same base class.

Aha! I get the answer I need, by deciding what it's not, and doing the opposite.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Another way of thinking about archetypes is this...

Usually, when you design a number of new powers/abilities/etc, there will be a theme or core ideology behind the design.

So all you need to do is ask yourself whether you want the theme diluted by allowing free selection as a mix with existing powers/abilities etc.

If you are happy with that, then they can be additional options added to existing character shopping lists, but if the summation of the new design gives an over arching theme you don't want diluted, then archetypes (or prestige) is the way to go.

Scarab Sages

Been through the ACG, and seen several abilities from other classes or archetypes to pinch that fit the theme, I'll check the APG & UM later, then decide what to drop in exchange for what.

I'll limit the bleed-through into the general class population, by not making them universal class options, but making them 'hidden practices', accessible via an archetype.

Sovereign Court

Article on Osirion tomb curses about 200 words shy of completion.

Board / Tile game is almost done as well (think of a cross between senet and dominoes ... kinda) ... includes both the article and the tile and board design.

Grand Lodge

Article on gender in Osirion is being researched
Weal or Woe article is about 400 words from done


I have a Weal or Woe ready and just under 1500 words. Just want to have some friends give it an editing pass.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Working on a weal or woe still. I have the stat blocks done, just need to finish the writeup.

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

9 people marked this as a favorite.

You know....I love this community.

I get sort of nervous a couple of weeks out from our submission deadline, always because I get concerned at how few we have in hand. It makes me wonder, then, if Wayfinder has peaked, and that the fanzine is no longer of interest to fans.

To be honest, I do a LOT of this kind of thing after each release, too. We get one good week of buzz, and then...nothing. It always feels like a flash in the pan sort of deal.

But, as the deadline gets closer, I see more and more people excited about their submissions, and, sure enough, the inbox starts filling up with articles. Artists start impatiently emailing about assignments. Volunteers contact me to know if they can help edit.

This fanzine is exactly that...a FAN magazine. Without all of you being interested in doing this, then....well, we wouldn't HAVE a fanzine, would we? So, I'm glad you are all still out there, interested in Wayfinder.

And with that...keep those submissions coming in! Eleven days left!

Let's do this thing!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Glad to hear that stuff is picking up, as we rush to beat the deadline!

Anyone who wants to bang ideas off of me in PMs, please feel free. The only thing I like more than my own ideas is other people's ideas!

Honestly, I'm shocked that more people don't just contribute just to get free art for their own favorite concepts. :)


Is a Weal or Woe allowed to be built from NPCs who are named in a Paizo product, but not fleshed out? The NPCs who are just described as "Bob, the level 3 commoner who owns the tavern in Sothis", but don't have anything more than that. Or are they 'off-limits' because Paizo might have something planned for them down the line?

Scarab Sages

Set wrote:

Honestly, I'm shocked that more people don't just contribute just to get free art for their own favorite concepts. :)

How do you know we don't?

Scarab Sages

Kittyburger wrote:

Article on gender in Osirion is being researched

Weal or Woe article is about 400 words from done

Which part are you short on?

I'm assuming both statblocks are complete, and the extra verbiage is required on the backstory or plot hook?

Grand Lodge

Snorter wrote:
Kittyburger wrote:

Article on gender in Osirion is being researched

Weal or Woe article is about 400 words from done

Which part are you short on?

I'm assuming both statblocks are complete, and the extra verbiage is required on the backstory or plot hook?

Pretty much. Stat blocks are complete, I'm just working on the plot hooks.


Paizo style – numerals vs spelled-out-numbers.

I've read through a lot of material, including some style guides, and most of what I see about numerals vs words talks about stats, time periods, weights, and numbers 10 or greater.

Within prose, relating to mechanics, but not a stat, and not starting a sentence, should I use "10" or "ten"?

Here's a couple examples taken from an item I'm working on, modified to maintain suspense:

"Adorned with ten rubies, this __ grants __" or "Adorned with 10 rubies, this __ grants __" ?

"When all ten rubies have shattered, the __ does __" or "When all 10 rubies have shattered, the __ does __" ?

My gut tells me it's "10".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ignotus Advenium wrote:

Paizo style – numerals vs spelled-out-numbers.

I've read through a lot of material, including some style guides, and most of what I see about numerals vs words talks about stats, time periods, weights, and numbers 10 or greater.

Within prose, relating to mechanics, but not a stat, and not starting a sentence, should I use "10" or "ten"?

Here's a couple examples taken from an item I'm working on, modified to maintain suspense:

"Adorned with ten rubies, this __ grants __" or "Adorned with ten rubies, this __ grants __"

"When all ten rubies have shattered, the __ does __" or "When all 10 rubies have shattered, the __ does __" ?

My gut tells me it's "10".

It's 10. Spell out 0-9 in non-rules text when not talking about measurements.

ie. "Adorned with 10 rubies, this 5-foot-tall umbrella illustrated with five elephants grants a +5 circumstance bonus to dancing"


Garrett Guillotte wrote:

It's 10. Spell out 0-9 in non-rules text when not talking about measurements.

ie. "Adorned with 10 rubies, this 5-foot-tall umbrella illustrated with five elephants grants a +5 circumstance bonus to dancing"

Thanks Garret. That's a nice concise answer, and your example sentence illustrates it perfectly. How did you guess my item?

;)


Two submissions, 1 bestiary and 1 flavor/light crunch, emailed!


Heroes' Hoard submitted.


Ok Tim, my WoW is finrally really and truly submitted. I apologize for sending it three times; I kept on finding minor errors and ways to improve the flavor text. Phew...


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I think I am only going to be able to get two done by the deadline. . . this article I am working on is turning out to be much more work than expected, a lot of research and cross referencing and I am afraid I''m going to blow way past word count if I don't do some cuts since its 999 already, eek.

Sovereign Court PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

Griffid wrote:
Is a Weal or Woe allowed to be built from NPCs who are named in a Paizo product, but not fleshed out? The NPCs who are just described as "Bob, the level 3 commoner who owns the tavern in Sothis", but don't have anything more than that. Or are they 'off-limits' because Paizo might have something planned for them down the line?

Wow. Missed this one....

A Weal or Woe can be built from named NPCs, yes. But, the key to writing a successful WoW article is the underlying story between the two NPCs. I like to think of the Weal or Woe articles as a way to stick the PCs into the middle of an ongoing conflict...caught in the crossfire, so to speak.

There have been many WoW submissions that fail to "connect" the two NPCs, and those aren't usually picked. So, consider that, as well.

Tim


Timitius wrote:
Griffid wrote:
Is a Weal or Woe allowed to be built from NPCs who are named in a Paizo product, but not fleshed out? The NPCs who are just described as "Bob, the level 3 commoner who owns the tavern in Sothis", but don't have anything more than that. Or are they 'off-limits' because Paizo might have something planned for them down the line?

Wow. Missed this one....

A Weal or Woe can be built from named NPCs, yes. But, the key to writing a successful WoW article is the underlying story between the two NPCs. I like to think of the Weal or Woe articles as a way to stick the PCs into the middle of an ongoing conflict...caught in the crossfire, so to speak.

There have been many WoW submissions that fail to "connect" the two NPCs, and those aren't usually picked. So, consider that, as well.

Tim

Thanks Tim. That all makes sense.


One more WoW question:

One of the NPCs I'm using is a level 8 commoner. The guidelines say level 7th or lower. Since a level 8 NPC class is CR 6, I'm hoping that makes the cut. (Sadly, I can't just lower their level, since they show up in a product).

Is a level 8 common ok to use?

Thanks.

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Griffid wrote:

One more WoW question:

One of the NPCs I'm using is a level 8 commoner. The guidelines say level 7th or lower. Since a level 8 NPC class is CR 6, I'm hoping that makes the cut. (Sadly, I can't just lower their level, since they show up in a product).

Is a level 8 common ok to use?

Thanks.

Hey, Griffid. Since we're talking about a commoner, whose stat block isn't going to be full of spells, special abilities and important equipment, it may be possible for such a character to fit.

That said, I don't encourage stepping out of the guidelines, because when we start making exceptions for special cases, then we run the risk of giving everyone the opportunity to argue that their situation is a special case.

My advice would be to consider if the stat block for a level 8 commoner really contributes to a GM's game. If there's something meaty there that you think is truly valuable, then perhaps it's worth taking the chance and submitting it. Otherwise, you may want to consider using a different character.

151 to 200 of 370 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Community Use / [Community Project] Wayfinder #12 Call for Submissions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.