Bling


Pathfinder Society

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Society often seems about economy of resources. In my short time here I have seed many posts on "How should I spend my money" and "How should I spend my prestige."

So the question I have is what have you bought that does not give you a character advantage other than RP? Patron of the arts and buy a painting? Did you spend extra to have your life story engraved on your armor? Start an animal sanctuary or just hire an executive chef. I'm curious.

Myself, I am planning the life story on the armor thing. I'm thinking to spend double the Masterworking cost with no effect other than aesthetics.

Sovereign Court

As a noble of the house of Lebeda, I have spent money on a Noble's Outfit, with the appropriate jewelry, as well as purchasing a silken reversible cloak and a signet ring. For a grand total of 280gp, on a 2nd level character, nearly 10% of the character's total wealth

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

If it doesn't provide a mechanical bonus generally you can just say you did it and you have.

My Roguey druid once spent 50 GP for emergency dog sitting services for the rabid dog that one of the bad guys was using as an attack animal, but he convinced to switch sides.

The wild empathy focused druid has a few unusual purchases, like a 50 gp "craft services" bill for catering for the bullette and the Roc that followed her home.

Shadow Lodge 5/5

I hired a chronicler to write about all my amazing exploits so I don't have to waste my time doing so.

It also helps to have written proof on who the most powerful mage in all of Absalom truly is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My Pirate Captain Killian Jones is gonna buy himself a nice Ship with his PP in his next game does that count?

As I thought a ship was TOO much fluff without anything to back it up I made his backstory for the first few levels that he had lost his ship and that was his main reason for joining the Pathfinders, money and the chance to travel on someone else dime for now!

He has funnily though played through three different scenarios with ships in them, all of which he claimed. I have assumed in all three cases that he had to begrudgingly part with them when asked by the venture captains. But the last one he confiscated will have just been examined for evidence and will be returned to him (at a cost of 10pp).

He is looking forward to this :)

Grand Lodge 5/5

I buyed choklit cuz its yummy.

Grand Lodge 5/5

And a tattoo of the dragon I kilt.

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber

My Shoanti pays for a tattoo to commemorate every scenario.

My Taldan buys jewelry after every scenario.

My Vudrani bought a basket and a tiny viper for Profession (snake charmer).

Many of my characters purchase extra food and assorted alcohols and expend them during scenarios.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Starfinder Superscriber

If my character isn't purely beasticky, I will often purchase a journal, ink, and an inkpen at first level. Seems like something Pathfinders ought to carry around.

Wayfinders are often more bling than mechanical utility. My alchemist paid several PP to make his Wayfinder do spark instead of light because he loves fire, and thought his Wayfinder should do that kind of thing.

Then there's always the dwarf with the hip flask and the whiskey. That's pretty important. I've done that once or twice, and have seen other players do it as well.

Scarab Sages

CathalFM wrote:

My Pirate Captain Killian Jones is gonna buy himself a nice Ship with his PP in his next game does that count?

As I thought a ship was TOO much fluff without anything to back it up I made his backstory for the first few levels that he had lost his ship and that was his main reason for joining the Pathfinders, money and the chance to travel on someone else dime for now!

He has funnily though played through three different scenarios with ships in them, all of which he claimed. I have assumed in all three cases that he had to begrudgingly part with them when asked by the venture captains. But the last one he confiscated will have just been examined for evidence and will be returned to him (at a cost of 10pp).

He is looking forward to this :)

Just an FYI - there is an adventure path where you can get the ship vanity without spending 10PP or any PP if you got a few sessions in

Just saying

Shadow Lodge

Dhjika wrote:
CathalFM wrote:

My Pirate Captain Killian Jones is gonna buy himself a nice Ship with his PP in his next game does that count?

As I thought a ship was TOO much fluff without anything to back it up I made his backstory for the first few levels that he had lost his ship and that was his main reason for joining the Pathfinders, money and the chance to travel on someone else dime for now!

He has funnily though played through three different scenarios with ships in them, all of which he claimed. I have assumed in all three cases that he had to begrudgingly part with them when asked by the venture captains. But the last one he confiscated will have just been examined for evidence and will be returned to him (at a cost of 10pp).

He is looking forward to this :)

Just an FYI - there is an adventure path where you can get the ship vanity without spending 10PP or any PP if you got a few sessions in

Just saying

It's even appropriate for a pirate.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My alchemist paid triple the normal cost for a cart, so he could get it totally pimped out. He also spent 5 PP on a porter just to pull him around in it. Meanwhile my monk spent 5 PP on a porter to serve as his monastic trainee, and he just carries a 300 pound log everywhere we go.

The Exchange

Does it count dat oi bought sleeves av many garments cos oi didn't want people ter be able ter knuk me 'at, an' lay-ra on oi got a mechanical benefit?

Translation to Regular English Dialect:Does it count that I bought Sleeves of Many Garments because I didn't want my Hat to be stolen, then later on I got a mechanical benefit from it?

Scarab Sages

More explosives. There is no problem so significant that an "appropriate" amount of explosives cannot "resolve" it.

Sovereign Court Owner - Enchanted Grounds, President/Owner - Enchanted Grounds

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Khal'dun, my dwarven Risen Guard (two-handed melee, using a dorn durgar) has glamoured armor and a hat of disguise. Purely role playing items. The glamoured armor because he always wants to look nice, even though he has no idea what "nice" means in terms of fashion. And the hat because the man he works for (Amenopheus) has the Best Hat on the Planet, and he equates awesome hats with power. So what better hat to have than a hat that can be any hat you want it to be?

Interestingly, the combination of those two items (and each of them individually) have saved his and the party's bacon on multiple occasions. Those two items even got people to think that he was, in fact, his personal hero: Eando Kline. The greatest day in Khal'dun's life was when he fought in the very same arena as Eando Kline had in the past, with all the orcs in the spectator stands thinking he WAS Eando Kline, and he was able to win the day in the same exact way Eando Kline had years past.

Pretty bling-y, if I do say so myself.

5/5

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

My pacifist Life Oracle wears a Varisian Scarf from something that happened in a particular module. Long story short, she talked an angry mob down from killing a child and got the scarf as a gift from the child's mother. On the chronicle the item is magical but isn't of any use to me and takes up a critical belt slot. So I just wear the scarf over the belt. She also has a charm bracelet that has tiny holy symbols of all the gods she prays to. They don't have any mechanical effect though, it doesn't matter as she's an oracle and doesn't need them.

Silver Crusade 2/5

Drogon wrote:

Khal'dun, my dwarven Risen Guard (two-handed melee, using a dorn durgar) has glamoured armor and a hat of disguise. Purely role playing items. The glamoured armor because he always wants to look nice, even though he has no idea what "nice" means in terms of fashion. And the hat because the man he works for (Amenopheus) has the Best Hat on the Planet, and he equates awesome hats with power. So what better hat to have than a hat that can be any hat you want it to be?

Interestingly, the combination of those two items (and each of them individually) have saved his and the party's bacon on multiple occasions. Those two items even got people to think that he was, in fact, his personal hero: Eando Kline. The greatest day in Khal'dun's life was when he fought in the very same arena as Eando Kline had in the past, with all the orcs in the spectator stands thinking he WAS Eando Kline, and he was able to win the day in the same exact way Eando Kline had years past.

Pretty bling-y, if I do say so myself.

Jaegermonster Khal'dun, my hero!

Silver Crusade 3/5

Well my halfling druid enjoys the simple pleasures of life e.g. food and drinks. Thus, she has much more food with her than the simple trail rations that everyone usually buys when characters have to travel. Every morning in the camp starts with waffles and coffee when she comes along.

The amount of money this takes is kinda trivial though.

Silver Crusade 5/5

I'm thinking that my -10 character that I'm working on building is going to be in love with Pharasma. He was going to be Osirion so he could pay 8 PP so he could go visit Pharasma and chat her up in between one of his missions. He wasn't going to wait to die to join the Risen Guard, he was going to have somebody off him as soon as he was able to pay the prestige for the vanity. I may have to try and get him started before August so I can get the PP to get Risen Guard before the Osirion faction becomes the Scarab Seekers.

5/5

My sommelier of a sorcerer bought several varieties of wine (even the cheap Chelish wine)and a Blood Crystal decanter and serving set.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Washington—Seattle aka The Great Rinaldo!

The Great Rinaldo (bard/cavalier) bought a courtier's outfit for his riding dog so that he could come to tea at the Chelish embassy with him. (Rinaldo is a halfling, and was working for Andoran, so was nervous at the invitation ...)

My wife and I have elven dancers who glamered their armor and bought sleeves of many garments so that they could change their outfits at a moment's notice.

My half-orc chef has a cold iron skillet. Just in case he ever needs to fry a fairy.


My barbarian alchemist I took the trait pesh addict. You start with half of your gold.

Dark Archive

Bob, "I spent a cool 1k on clothes jewelry and furs to walk around in luxury. It provides nothing more than ..."

Ogre, "you spent 1k gold to look like a pimp. Which you're not, because I'm not a hooker."

Bob responds, "we all do it for money Ogre...even if I'm the only one collecting."

Ogre, "You're such a weasel Bob."

Bob smiles, "go get pretty Ogre, another fight will start soon..can't have my star looking like a Hobo."

Ogre grumbles something about Summoner's and getting their just desserts in Hell.

Bob mumbles something about having lots of friends already there or on their way.

Liberty's Edge

My Andoran Cavalier bought:
-Red Dragon Hide Full Plate the moment he got it on a chronicle because order of the dragon. No thoughts of ever getting fire resist.
-All of the Andoran Eagle Knight Ranks.
-A Farm in Bellis where he brews mead and keeps all of his previous animal companions, now a horse, a choco-erm-axebeak, and a griffon.
-Silver Holy Symbol of Sarenrea.
-Always has a keg of mead available in every adventure, actually came up once in a scenario!
-Ink, pen, and paper (he writes field reports after a scenario, to report back to Almas). Keeps copies, which in real life is a journal of his discoveries, knowledges and such. This was started well before I found out there's a boon for this...kinda silly really. A lot of GM's I know allow me to full round action retrieve a field report, and inform for use against a monster if someone does not know it. The reports were much more prevalent in the Krune story arc for recording information learned through the scenarios and to review with the team before heading out on the next mission, or deciphering puzzles. My Lore Warden and Cavalier both do this. Others, such as Selen, my life oracle, do not since it does not fit their character.

Selen is another matter (Life Oracle, Haunted):
- Dancing Lantern, cause the spirits hold her lantern for her.
- Staff of Courage, this was a puzzler. While not amazing seeming, I originally threw the 19200gp down because I loved the aesthetics of it. I have found afterwards though the mechanical benefits are so over the top good for a oracle. Bad on paper, amazing in practice.
- Priest Robes, shes a shrine maiden of Qi-Zhong and the ancestors.
- Harrow Deck, she enjoys letting the spirits help her predict the future.
- Holy Symbol of Qi-Zhong. She already has a birthmark, the holy symbol fit though.
- Incense sticks, lots of incense stick, so much incense sticks. Important for communicating with the spirits. Because Incense.
- Pavilion Tent. Because Oracles don't need gold. I buy super frivolous things.
- Refuses armor of any kind (cause AC 12 at level 8 is awesome). Shrine priests and priestess do not use it.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Bling All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.