>>Ask *Mark Seifter* All Your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

4,251 to 4,300 of 6,818 << first < prev | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | next > last >>

Mark Seifter wrote:
The NPC wrote:

Mr. Mark Seifter,

Another Transformational question. In the past class or prestige class progression has allowed characters to change creature type. Examples: Planar Oracle, Empyreal Knight, Knight of the Sepulcher, etc. and 3.5 has a bit of larger history.

If instead of class/prestige class progression, what if an overlay system ala mythic was used or an exchange for feats like Variant Multiclassing?

Which would you prefer and what, if any, thoughts come to mind to implement this system?

I think that a VMCish overlay is a promising way to do prestige classes in general, and have thought so since working on Unchained. It might not give a lot of those transformations though as they tend to be capstones of the class, which don't translate well to granting via VMC in a game where feats vs VMC are both possible, so for transformation in particular, an overlay where everyone gets it is probably a better bet.

An important question: Which route for character creature type change do you prefer, the class/prestige class route or the hypothetical overlay route?


Hey Mark,

Me and 242 others are wondering if the Bardic Masterpiece FAQ request has made it onto the radar of the FAQ team. We are totally patient and willing to wait for a well thought out answer rather than anything rushed, but a few people are curious where the request stands. Thanks for any info you can give that I.


May I ask you the same questions I just asked Tacticslion and James Jacobs? What is a question? How do you know when you have seen a question? Why are questions overpowered? Why aren't questions overpowered? Is this sentence a question? Are you going to make posts that aren't questions for yourself? Are you going to make posts that are questions for yourself? Why is everyone asking so many questions? Are we still in character? Will you answer my question if I answer yours? Why is nobody answering anyone's questions? Was that enough questions? Was that too many questions? Would doves cry?


Maneuvermoose wrote:
May I ask you the same questions I just asked Tacticslion and James Jacobs? What is a question? How do you know when you have seen a question? Why are questions overpowered? Why aren't questions overpowered? Is this sentence a question? Are you going to make posts that aren't questions for yourself? Are you going to make posts that are questions for yourself? Why is everyone asking so many questions? Are we still in character? Will you answer my question if I answer yours? Why is nobody answering anyone's questions? Was that enough questions? Was that too many questions? Would doves cry?

Why, hello there Noober!


Mark, I would like to some insight on this post I made regarding spell combat and two weapon fighting. Please check it out when you've got the time.


Hi Mark,
My question is:

Archmage Seance Boon is applicable on multiple darts like magic missile? (Example: 2 darts, 1d4+1+2, 1d4+1+2) or Fiery Shuriken on the same/multiple target?

Dark Archive

Hey Mark,

I am trying to gain some clarity on "wielding" in regards to the kineticist.
Could you tell me if my interpretation is RAW?

The kineticist is not wielding a kinetic blast.

Quote:
"Kinetic blasts count as a type of weapon for the purpose of feats such as Weapon Focus. The kineticist is never considered to be wielding or gripping the kinetic blast (regardless of effects from form infusions; see Infusion), and she can't use Vital Strike feats with kinetic blasts."

With kinetic blade, you are using an SLA to create a weapon in your hand that deals altered damage and damage type. You are not wielding a blast. The blast was the creation of the blade. You are now wielding a weapon (ie a light weapon) for the duration of the SLA, which is why you can use feats like weapon finesse and piranha strike.

Quote:
"You form a weapon using your kinetic abilities. You create a nonreach, light or one-handed weapon in your hand formed of pure energy or elemental matter. "

Kinetic blade doesn't work with spellstrike since spellstrike is a full round action and not a full-attack.

Quote:
"You can use this form infusion once as part of an attack action, a charge action, or a full-attack action in order to make melee attacks with your kinetic blade. "

Kinetic blade doesn't work with weapon versatility, since the feat affects the damage type that your weapon deals, and kinetic blade already alters the weapon's damage and damage type to that of your kinetic blast. (kinetic blast doesn't work either, since you can't grip or wield a blast)

Quote:
"When wielding a weapon with which you have Weapon Focus, you can shift your grip as a swift action so that your weapon deals bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage instead of the damage type normally dealt by that weapon."

I appreciate any insight.

Thank you,
Phoenicopter

The Exchange

Hi Mark,
My question is:

Dose the shadow subtype eidolons(form blood of shadows page 11) get access to natural attack evolution such as bite,claws,sting and gore?the book didn't mention this.


Mark Seifter wrote:
MusicAddict wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:
MusicAddict wrote:
Was that a "Mounted Fury" archetype that I spotted when you were showing off the magical child picture?
Good eye! Yes, it's basically Zorro.
I will also admit that just now, in an attempt to get a really nice screenie of the magical child artwork to just point out how much it reminds me of a certain time manipulating magical girl to my pathfinder skype group, I actually got a fairly clear screenshot of a good chunk of the two pages. Without saying what it can do, that familiar actually seems fairly impressive.
It's pretty impressive. Much like with Chosen One (the previous magical girl-ish paladin archetype), Luna can be a silvanshee now; I mean clearly she isn't just a regular cat!

Isn't Luna lawful god? Now Artemis I can see as a silvanshee (assuming they can have white fur). Sailor Venus would probably be a better fit for Golarion anyway given how dark the place can get.

Speaking of getting dark, with the upcoming Curse of the Crimson Throne hardcover, have you given any thought to PCs based on these four? I'm sure it'd be...breathtaking.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Saw this on the UI Errata thread and it was an interesting question so I figured I'd repost here.

JoelF847 wrote:
p. 9, 11-12 - does the vigilante ability dual identity, and social talents quick change and immediate change allow for switching to the vigilante identity including donning or removing armor which is part of that identity? If so, does this mean the vigilante can don or remove their armor faster than the normal rules allow? In particular, how does this interact with heavy armor, which can only be hastily donned without assistance, since the vigilante must be out of sight from other creatures to preserve the vigilante's secret. While the standard vigilante doesn't have heavy armor proficiency, the heavy training vigilante talent grants the proficiency.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paizo Employee Designer

Here's the next FAQ!

FAQ wrote:

Skald: The skald class says “If the skald has rage powers from another source, he (but not his allies) can use those rage powers during an inspired rage,” what exactly does it mean by “another source”?

Another source means any source other than the rage powers gained at 3rd level and every 3 levels thereafter. A few examples of other sources are rage powers gained from multiclassing in barbarian, rage powers gained from Extra Rage Power, and rage powers gained from a magic item.


Mark Seifter wrote:

Here's the next FAQ!

FAQ wrote:

Skald: The skald class says “If the skald has rage powers from another source, he (but not his allies) can use those rage powers during an inspired rage,” what exactly does it mean by “another source”?

Another source means any source other than the rage powers gained at 3rd level and every 3 levels thereafter. A few examples of other sources are rage powers gained from multiclassing in barbarian, rage powers gained from Extra Rage Power, and rage powers gained from a magic item.

Yay! Another FAQ Friday!


Mark, this came up in another thread.

A Morningstar is a Piercing and Bludgeoning weapon so it can't be used just as a Bludgeoning weapon or just as a Piercing weapon.

UE wrote:
Some weapons deal damage of multiple types. If a weapon causes two types of damage, the type it deals is not half one type and half another; rather, all damage caused is considered to be of both types. Therefore, a creature would have to be immune to both types of damage to ignore any of the damage caused by such a weapon.

The rules for underwater combat tell us that Piercing weapons (which this is) use their normal 'to hit' scores and deal damage normally. The rules also tell us that Bludgeoning weapons (which this is) suffer a -2 penalty 'to hit' and only deal half damage. (I'm assuming the cases where the character isn't using Freedom of Movement but is standing with firm footing or swimming.)

For a Kunai, which is Piercing or Bludgeoning, I think this could be resolved by having the player declare which sort of damage she wanted to deal. But the Morningstar doesn't offer that choice. I'm pretty sure this is too rare a situation to justify a FAQ, so I was wondering how you might go about resolving the contradiction.


Mark Seifter wrote:

Here's the next FAQ!

FAQ wrote:

Skald: The skald class says “If the skald has rage powers from another source, he (but not his allies) can use those rage powers during an inspired rage,” what exactly does it mean by “another source”?

Another source means any source other than the rage powers gained at 3rd level and every 3 levels thereafter. A few examples of other sources are rage powers gained from multiclassing in barbarian, rage powers gained from Extra Rage Power, and rage powers gained from a magic item.

Cutting out rage powers from Extra Rage Power is a bit of a bummer, but fair -- I'm glad I finished the adventure where I played a skald who picked up Extra Rage Power as every feat (after 3rd level) is already done, heh heh.


Mr. Mark Seifter,

Would you allow a companion creature such as an eidolon or Promethean alchemist's homunculus to exchange feats for the variable multi class option?


Hey Mark. Hoping I could get your thoughts on a matter concerning undercasting, learning new spells, and "replacing" spells.

The details: I'm building an NPC for a game who is a sorcerer with the psychic bloodline. They are 9th level, finalizing their list of spells known. But the interaction between Undercasting Prodigy (from the psychic bloodline) and the mechanics of learning undercasting spells has got me caught on a snag.

Psychic Bloodline wrote:
Undercasting Prodigy (Sp): Starting at 9th level, whenever you gain a new level of spells, you automatically replace any psychic bloodline spells that can be undercast with the highest-level version you can cast in your list of spells known. For example, at 9th level, you would replace mind thrust I, id insinuation I, and ego whip I with mind thrust IV, id insinuation III, and ego whip II, respectively, as spells known.
Undercasting Spells wrote:
Whenever a spontaneous spellcaster adds a spell to his list of spells known that can be undercast, he can immediately learn a spell in place of each lower-level version of that spell he knows. In essence, he loses each earlier version and can replace it with another spell of the same level that is on his spell list.

When Undercasting Prodigy comes into play, do I gain the ability to replace previously-known, undercast, psychic-bloodline bonus-spells with alternative spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list?


FAQ today?

Paizo Employee Designer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Oops, looks like I feinted you guys before this FAQ, so you were caught unprepared!

FAQ wrote:

Greater Feint: Greater Feint says the target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC until the beginning of my next turn in addition to against my next attack. Is that just against my attacks, which probably won’t be more than just my next attack until my next turn, or is it against my allies as well?

Greater Feint makes the target lose its Dexterity bonus against all melee attacks by anyone until the start of your next turn, not just you. Unless a feint ability specifically mentions ranged attacks (like the Ranged Feint feat), it always denies Dexterity bonus against melee attacks.

Sovereign Court

Looks like I will need to break out my Greater Fainting Rogue 11 sometime swoon.

Contributor

Mark Seifter wrote:

Oops, looks like I feinted you guys before this FAQ, so you were caught unprepared!

FAQ wrote:

Greater Feint: Greater Feint says the target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC until the beginning of my next turn in addition to against my next attack. Is that just against my attacks, which probably won’t be more than just my next attack until my next turn, or is it against my allies as well?

Greater Feint makes the target lose its Dexterity bonus against all melee attacks by anyone until the start of your next turn, not just you. Unless a feint ability specifically mentions ranged attacks (like the Ranged Feint feat), it always denies Dexterity bonus against melee attacks.

Chalk another one up for, "Easy questions with easy answers that still needed to be said never the less."

Victory for everyone!

Paizo Employee Designer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Alexander Augunas wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:

Oops, looks like I feinted you guys before this FAQ, so you were caught unprepared!

FAQ wrote:

Greater Feint: Greater Feint says the target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC until the beginning of my next turn in addition to against my next attack. Is that just against my attacks, which probably won’t be more than just my next attack until my next turn, or is it against my allies as well?

Greater Feint makes the target lose its Dexterity bonus against all melee attacks by anyone until the start of your next turn, not just you. Unless a feint ability specifically mentions ranged attacks (like the Ranged Feint feat), it always denies Dexterity bonus against melee attacks.

Chalk another one up for, "Easy questions with easy answers that still needed to be said never the less."

Victory for everyone!

There were a variety of reasonable people who thought it didn't apply to others' attacks. Personally, this is how I've always assumed it worked, but that doesn't mean other perspectives weren't possible given the wording.


So, Greater Feint (Mythic) is now kind of strange then.

Paizo Employee Designer

Ian Bell wrote:
So, Greater Feint (Mythic) is now kind of strange then.

I'm not aware that this exists. Can you cite?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Owen wrote it for 3PP, is what I find.


Ah, yes, the problem is I can't read source footnotes apparently. Still kind of strange, but not a Pathfinder issue per se.


Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:

Oops, looks like I feinted you guys before this FAQ, so you were caught unprepared!

FAQ wrote:

Greater Feint: Greater Feint says the target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC until the beginning of my next turn in addition to against my next attack. Is that just against my attacks, which probably won’t be more than just my next attack until my next turn, or is it against my allies as well?

Greater Feint makes the target lose its Dexterity bonus against all melee attacks by anyone until the start of your next turn, not just you. Unless a feint ability specifically mentions ranged attacks (like the Ranged Feint feat), it always denies Dexterity bonus against melee attacks.

Chalk another one up for, "Easy questions with easy answers that still needed to be said never the less."

Victory for everyone!

There were a variety of reasonable people who thought it didn't apply to others' attacks. Personally, this is how I've always assumed it worked, but that doesn't mean other perspectives weren't possible given the wording.

Huh, okay. I've always wanted to play this way but I've been told that your attacks only was the proper interpretation. Having it not work on ranged attacks is a little strange, but a fine compromise.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:
So, Greater Feint (Mythic) is now kind of strange then.
I'm not aware that this exists. Can you cite?

It's from the Mythic Hero's Handbook which came out of the Mythic Mania Kickstarter.

Quote:

Greater Feint (Combat, Mythic)

Your ability to confuse a foe in combat is legendary. Prerequisites: Greater Feint.
Benefit: When you successfully feint a foe, in addition to losing his Dexterity to AC against every attack you make until the beginning of your next turn, he also loses it against the first attack made by each creature that attacks him before the beginning of your next turn.

Additionally, the target is so distracted that until the beginning of your next turn creatures that do not attack or interact with the target may make stealth checks to escape his atten- tion, even if they are in bright light or in his direct line of sight.

Definitely something hinky with the first paragraph, though I'd be inclined to say that it allows denial of Dex to AC against the first ranged attack any creature makes, as well as against any melee attacks made by any creature. Not sure if it needs to go further, really. Second paragraph is still awesome, though: successful feint = quick, everyone hide while he's checking his pants are still up!

The Exchange Owner - D20 Hobbies

There seems to be confusing on this FAQ:
FAQ on when you count as having a class feature

Some believe that this doesn't cover things such as a Monk 2 / Ninja 2 where Monk isn't high enough to gain a Ki Pool. They believe that the fact they will gain a Ki Pool next level, they still stack with Ninja's Ki Pool.

True? False?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Let's talk pets.

What was your favorite pet as a kid.

Do you have pets now.

If you could have one exotic pet, no questions asked, what would it be.

Did you ever hear the band Pet.

What's your favorite, or least favorite, as the case may be,, Pet Shop Boys song.

And finally, how would you rate the movie Little Shop of Horrors.


Mark while I FAQ'ing a topic another poster brought up the fact that the CRB says that for every 2 points by which an ability score increases that ability score gets a +1 bonus.
The FAQ says that temporary increases to ability scores effect the same stats and rolls as a permanent increases.

Because ability score increases normally come in multiples of 2 such as belts of giant strength this is normally a nonfactor.

However inherent bonuses to an ability score could increase your temporary strength from 13 to a 14. If 24 hours has not passed you now have a temp score of 14, but you are not getting a +2 modifier because the ability increase was did not go up by 2. 24 hours later. I understand that 14 will be permanent, but that means the FAQ saying temporary and permanent ability scores are not affecting stats and rolls in the same way is not accurate.
Can you look into this on your end or do I have to FAQ thr FAQ?

Scarab Sages

Mark,

I'm playing my first Arcanist in PFS, and I'm trying to figure a few things out. I see in this thread where you've previously said Runestones and Spell Lattices are what an Arcanist uses to add spell slots and prepared spells. When you run things, how do you address these questions?

Can an Arcanist use a Ring of Spell Knowledge to add a prepared spell?

Can an Arcanist use a Mnemonic Vestment to cast a spell as if it was prepared?

And, most importantly, how many actions does it take to use Quick Study in combat? The Exploit says the Arcanist needs access to her spell book. Does that mean she would need to spend a move action to take out her spell book, then a full round action to use Quick Study (effectively making it a two round ability)? Or is it just a single full round action as long as she has her spell book on her person?

Thanks!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
wraithstrike wrote:

Mark while I FAQ'ing a topic another poster brought up the fact that the CRB says that for every 2 points by which an ability score increases that ability score gets a +1 bonus.

The FAQ says that temporary increases to ability scores effect the same stats and rolls as a permanent increases.

Because ability score increases normally come in multiples of 2 such as belts of giant strength this is normally a nonfactor.

However inherent bonuses to an ability score could increase your temporary strength from 13 to a 14. If 24 hours has not passed you now have a temp score of 14, but you are not getting a +2 modifier because the ability increase was did not go up by 2. 24 hours later. I understand that 14 will be permanent, but that means the FAQ saying temporary and permanent ability scores are not affecting stats and rolls in the same way is not accurate.
Can you look into this on your end or do I have to FAQ thr FAQ?

Small problem with this: inherent is a bonus type. Unfortunately it's not very well documented, and then there's the ability score increases from levelling, which are a whole different story. My personal belief is that levelling increases and inherent bonuses both immediately apply a permanent bonus modifier to the ability score, without having to wait the 24 hours (see the wish spell, inherent bonuses are instantaneous).

Technically a case can be made that an inherent ability bonus doesn't actually modify the ability score permanently until after 24 hours have passed, but there's a strong case that since the duration (instantaneous) is less than 24 hours, inherent bonuses never become permanent. Which seems unlikely since they contain the odd-numbered bonuses lacking elsewhere in the game. Far easier to work with them being instantaneous permanent ability score bonuses.


Chemlak wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:

Mark while I FAQ'ing a topic another poster brought up the fact that the CRB says that for every 2 points by which an ability score increases that ability score gets a +1 bonus.

The FAQ says that temporary increases to ability scores effect the same stats and rolls as a permanent increases.

Because ability score increases normally come in multiples of 2 such as belts of giant strength this is normally a nonfactor.

However inherent bonuses to an ability score could increase your temporary strength from 13 to a 14. If 24 hours has not passed you now have a temp score of 14, but you are not getting a +2 modifier because the ability increase was did not go up by 2. 24 hours later. I understand that 14 will be permanent, but that means the FAQ saying temporary and permanent ability scores are not affecting stats and rolls in the same way is not accurate.
Can you look into this on your end or do I have to FAQ thr FAQ?

Small problem with this: inherent is a bonus type. Unfortunately it's not very well documented, and then there's the ability score increases from levelling, which are a whole different story. My personal belief is that levelling increases and inherent bonuses both immediately apply a permanent bonus modifier to the ability score, without having to wait the 24 hours (see the wish spell, inherent bonuses are instantaneous).

Technically a case can be made that an inherent ability bonus doesn't actually modify the ability score permanently until after 24 hours have passed, but there's a strong case that since the duration (instantaneous) is less than 24 hours, inherent bonuses never become permanent. Which seems unlikely since they contain the odd-numbered bonuses lacking elsewhere in the game. Far easier to work with them being instantaneous permanent ability score bonuses.

I agree with you 100%, that the inherent score is meant to be a permanent bonus immediately, but using the FAQ as a rules source does give someone a fair argument against it.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

It seems to be a common house rule to assume that PCs are "always" taking 10 on certain skills in appropriate settings, i.e., Perception when traveling, Sense Motive when dealing with NPCs, etc., and to ask for a roll only in response to certain trigger events.

This bugs me from a logical point of view, because it means that a PC can be dramatically worse at a skill when they're specifically trying to invoke it than when they're multitasking. My preferred method is to assume the PCs are "taking 1" unless they have a good reason to be Perceptive or Sensing Motive; that insures they can't possibly do worse by trying.

Do you think this is reasonable, or can you persuade me that Passive skill use as Taking 10 makes more sense than I think it does? (The other alternative, I suppose, is to use the PC's Take 10 result if they roll lower than 10, but then you might as well just be rolling a d10 and giving them a +10 bonus.)


Joana wrote:

It seems to be a common house rule to assume that PCs are "always" taking 10 on certain skills in appropriate settings, i.e., Perception when traveling, Sense Motive when dealing with NPCs, etc., and to ask for a roll only in response to certain trigger events.

This bugs me from a logical point of view, because it means that a PC can be dramatically worse at a skill when they're specifically trying to invoke it than when they're multitasking. My preferred method is to assume the PCs are "taking 1" unless they have a good reason to be Perceptive or Sensing Motive; that insures they can't possibly do worse by trying.

Do you think this is reasonable, or can you persuade me that Passive skill use as Taking 10 makes more sense than I think it does? (The other alternative, I suppose, is to use the PC's Take 10 result if they roll lower than 10, but then you might as well just be rolling a d10 and giving them a +10 bonus.)

I have never seen this house rule. As for perception(just an example) even though technically it is used to noticed everything to include grass on the ground, I just havewave it until it matters. If everything is done by the numbers(assuming no GM added circumstance bonuses) you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky. It's easier to assume the rules are only in play when they matter, thant to assume they are always in play because they really don't model reality well for a lot of things.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.

To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.

I don't even have a good counter for that.

Tels 1
Wraithstrike 0


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.

There was a thread where the math was done. Something like, stealth modifier is -1 million, but the DC is 1 billion.

The take away is that even with the bonus to see, the penalty for distance is big enough to not care.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
Chess Pwn wrote:
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.

There was a thread where the math was done. Something like, stealth modifier is -1 million, but the DC is 1 billion.

The take away is that even with the bonus to see, the penalty for distance is big enough to not care.

LOL - let's expand on such logic derived from linear math that does not account for the infinity limit value of a function, in regards to a heavenly body.

1. It doesn't have hide in plain sight, so it can't hide and you automatically see it because it's so large and from your point of view, a tiny object in the sky.

2. Its Dex is 0, so it's unconscious and can't attempt regular stealth checks either.

3. You can even know it's there even though it has total cover behind the planet, as it radiates light over the horizon. Even when it's unconscious. How dare it??? :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
Chess Pwn wrote:
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.

There was a thread where the math was done. Something like, stealth modifier is -1 million, but the DC is 1 billion.

The take away is that even with the bonus to see, the penalty for distance is big enough to not care.

LOL - let's expand on such logic derived from linear math that does not account for the infinity limit value of a function, in regards to a heavenly body.

1. It doesn't have hide in plain sight, so it can't hide and you automatically see it because it's so large and from your point of view, a tiny object in the sky.

2. Its Dex is 0, so it's unconscious and can't attempt regular stealth checks either.

3. You can even know it's there even though it has total cover behind the planet, as it radiates light over the horizon. Even when it's unconscious. How dare it??? :P

Entire thread about this. Your arguments were already brought up and refuted. Don't derail the thread


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.

New size category: Planetary, size bonus +1,000/-1,000


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigP4nda wrote:
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.
New size category: Planetary, size bonus +1,000/-1,000

Useful if you run across this guy or this guy.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
Chess Pwn wrote:
Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
Chess Pwn wrote:
Tels wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
you can't see the sun, moon, or stars in the sky.
To be fair, I'm sure the Sun/Moon/Stars have terrible stealth modifiers.

There was a thread where the math was done. Something like, stealth modifier is -1 million, but the DC is 1 billion.

The take away is that even with the bonus to see, the penalty for distance is big enough to not care.

LOL - let's expand on such logic derived from linear math that does not account for the infinity limit value of a function, in regards to a heavenly body.

1. It doesn't have hide in plain sight, so it can't hide and you automatically see it because it's so large and from your point of view, a tiny object in the sky.

2. Its Dex is 0, so it's unconscious and can't attempt regular stealth checks either.

3. You can even know it's there even though it has total cover behind the planet, as it radiates light over the horizon. Even when it's unconscious. How dare it??? :P

Entire thread about this. Your arguments were already brought up and refuted. Don't derail the thread

The irony is staggering, Mr. Moderator! ;)

Paizo Employee Designer

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:
Sammy T wrote:
Quote:
As a standard action, the kineticist can unleash a kinetic blast at a single target up to a range of 30 feet. She must have at least one hand free to aim the blast (or one prehensile appendage, if she doesn't have hands).
Would a werebat-kin Skinwalker be able to use their kinetic blast in bat shape? Bat's wings are literally their hands.
Linda is a big fan of bats and we have a bat book and some other bat references. Looking it up, it appears their wings aren't prehensile, so seems like no.

or one prehensile appendage, if she doesn't have hands

The feet would work.

The bat in the video is certainly very cute, but that still doesn't make the bat's feet prehensile, at least according to my current bat knowledge. I believe the fossil bat Onychonycteris finneyi was thought to have prehensile feet, distinct from modern bats in that regard. The term "prehensile" has been a bit oddly used in the scientific community, and in general with regards to feet it mainly refers to primate feet.

Paizo Employee Designer

David Neilson wrote:
Silly question, you can not stealth during a Spring Attack can you? I thought there was a FAQ for that, but I can not find it for the life of me. Hope you are doing well.

I think you don't have the correct action economy for it, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm not thrilled about the discrepancy, but Flyby Attack is worded differently and might have a stronger case, since it's a standard action embedded during a move action, rather than a special full-round action that does particular things.

Paizo Employee Designer

Luthorne wrote:
Hey, Mark, I was looking at the metamorph, which I really wanted to play, and I noticed that it doesn't seem to trade away Brew Potion, but since you don't have extracts to use it with, it seems pretty unhelpful to have unless you're multiclassing, since you can't use Spellcraft to bypass spell prerequisites for potions. Any suggestions as to how to handle this?

For now, it's pretty useful as a tag-team if you have any casters on the team who want to craft with you in tandem, and you can potentially use it for other archetypes if that doesn't seem useful.

Paizo Employee Designer

Kudaku wrote:

Hi Mark! I have two quick questions about Automatic Bonus Progression and how it interacts with abilities that grant weapon enhancement bonuses such as Spell Warrior's Enhance Weapons song or the Magic Weapon spell line.

1. What happens if an attuned weapon that has an effective enhancement bonus of +0 (say, a flaming scimitar attuned to a level 6 character) is targeted by a Magic Weapon spell? Does it become a +1 flaming scimitar, or the bonus overlap with the "attunement bonus"?

2. Assuming the enhancement bonus stacks, what happens if an attuned weapon that has an effective enhancement bonus of "-1"* (say, a flaming burst scimitar attuned to a level 6 character) is targeted by a Magic Weapon spell? Does the bonus come into play, or is it effectively "consumed" by the weapon?

Given the automatic attunement by level, it might be a good idea to just remove MW and GMW entirely. Similarly, there's less need for spells like barkskin and shield of faith as well. Class features should probably work like they would for a normal magic weapon, so skald wouldn't stack while magus arcane pool would.

Paizo Employee Designer

David knott 242 wrote:

Can a Spirit Dancer Medium take the Spirit Focus and Legendary Influence feats?

If so, do they work as well for them as they would for standard Mediums?

I think they could take them, and Spirit Focus would be quite useful, while Legendary Influence would probably be a bit less useful since they'd have to make the decision of paying for the feat on a spirit by spirit basis (since their ability tells them to make all decisions as if contacting 6 spirits).

Paizo Employee Designer

The NPC wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:
The NPC wrote:

Mr. Mark Seifter,

Another Transformational question. In the past class or prestige class progression has allowed characters to change creature type. Examples: Planar Oracle, Empyreal Knight, Knight of the Sepulcher, etc. and 3.5 has a bit of larger history.

If instead of class/prestige class progression, what if an overlay system ala mythic was used or an exchange for feats like Variant Multiclassing?

Which would you prefer and what, if any, thoughts come to mind to implement this system?

I think that a VMCish overlay is a promising way to do prestige classes in general, and have thought so since working on Unchained. It might not give a lot of those transformations though as they tend to be capstones of the class, which don't translate well to granting via VMC in a game where feats vs VMC are both possible, so for transformation in particular, an overlay where everyone gets it is probably a better bet.
An important question: Which route for character creature type change do you prefer, the class/prestige class route or the hypothetical overlay route?

Probably an overlay that everyone gets, with the challenges of the game balanced to compensate, is most equitable, since with the prestige class, you give up on the other aspects of your class to get the abilities, and then the transformation winds up in a balancing war with class features that it has difficulty winning for spellcasters. In that regard, you might want to check out Corruptions from Horror when it hits.

Paizo Employee Designer

Lab_Rat wrote:

Hey Mark,

Me and 242 others are wondering if the Bardic Masterpiece FAQ request has made it onto the radar of the FAQ team. We are totally patient and willing to wait for a well thought out answer rather than anything rushed, but a few people are curious where the request stands. Thanks for any info you can give that I.

As I think I've mentioned in the thread, it's on our radar. As the thread reveals, there's more than just the stated question to answer, though, tied together with other things about bards (some of these are in the thread).

4,251 to 4,300 of 6,818 << first < prev | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *Mark Seifter* All Your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.