>>Ask *Mark Seifter* All Your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

5,051 to 5,100 of 6,818 << first < prev | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | next > last >>

Rysky wrote:
Tels wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Tels wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Tels wrote:

So... Horror Adventures is out in people's hands...

Lets just say I murdered an orphanage full of children and then raised them all for my undead army. Once done, as a wizard, I then cast Protection from Evil... say 5 times, using up 2nd level slots, just to be sure.

What alignment am I?

B!!$+~! Crazy.

I ask, because it seems they hard coded in rules for how spells with an alignment descriptor affect the caster. 2 evil spells makes you non-good, and 3 evil spells in a short enough time period makes you evil. Apparently, the opposite is true. So cast 3 good spells and become good.

I have to wonder, what's the whole point of the redemption theme in Wrath of the Righteous again? I mean, these rules are better than a Catholic confession because you don't have to list every sin.

Because maybe the people needing the redemption rules don't have access to spells that forcefully change your alignment?
Buy a wand and go to town activating it. It's not like it will explode if you fail.

*shrugs*

You can do that, but not everyone probably would. Just like his in RL most people are hesitant to use medication that affects their mindset even if they're in a better state if they do so.

Question then: are good/evil clerics good/evil because they are? Or is it because they cast good/evil spells?

I mean, theoretically, divine casters may not have their natural alignment. What if peek only worship Sarenrae because they cast a number of good spells and now they're good? What if the only thing keeping them good are the repeated casting of good spells?

This rule plays so much Mary havoc with alignment, morality, intentions and actions it's ridiculous. The idea that casting 3 first level spells can instantly swap my alignment after spending decades serving the forces of good are utterly preposterous.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Tels wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Tels wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Tels wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Tels wrote:

So... Horror Adventures is out in people's hands...

Lets just say I murdered an orphanage full of children and then raised them all for my undead army. Once done, as a wizard, I then cast Protection from Evil... say 5 times, using up 2nd level slots, just to be sure.

What alignment am I?

B!!$+~! Crazy.

I ask, because it seems they hard coded in rules for how spells with an alignment descriptor affect the caster. 2 evil spells makes you non-good, and 3 evil spells in a short enough time period makes you evil. Apparently, the opposite is true. So cast 3 good spells and become good.

I have to wonder, what's the whole point of the redemption theme in Wrath of the Righteous again? I mean, these rules are better than a Catholic confession because you don't have to list every sin.

Because maybe the people needing the redemption rules don't have access to spells that forcefully change your alignment?
Buy a wand and go to town activating it. It's not like it will explode if you fail.

*shrugs*

You can do that, but not everyone probably would. Just like his in RL most people are hesitant to use medication that affects their mindset even if they're in a better state if they do so.

Question then: are good/evil clerics good/evil because they are? Or is it because they cast good/evil spells?

I mean, theoretically, divine casters may not have their natural alignment. What if peek only worship Sarenrae because they cast a number of good spells and now they're good? What if the only thing keeping them good are the repeated casting of good spells?

This rule plays so much Mary havoc with alignment, morality, intentions and actions it's ridiculous. The idea that casting 3 first level spells can instantly swap my alignment after spending decades serving the forces of good are utterly preposterous.

If you spent decades serving the forces of Good you wouldn't want to cast that 1st level spell in the first place.

But that does bring up an interesting situation, is there any difference between someone of a natural alignment and another who chose to be magically altered into that Alignmnet (as opposed to someone forced into that Alignmnet outside there control)? Let loose the philosophers of theorycrafting!


Hell, this rule makes it nearly impossible to be a neutral caster. You have to go out of your way to cast evil spells or commit evil deeds to counteract the castings of Protection from Evil you put on the party because some ghouls showed up. I mean, this rule can make lawful neutral or chaotic neutral druids fall because they lost their alignment.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Tels wrote:
Hell, this rule makes it nearly impossible to be a neutral caster. You have to go out of your way to cast evil spells or commit evil deeds to counteract the castings of Protection from Evil you put on the party because some ghouls showed up. I mean, this rule can make lawful neutral or chaotic neutral druids fall because they lost their alignment.

Yes, Neutrals will have to be careful with what they cast.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
If you spent decades serving the forces of Good you wouldn't want to cast that 1st level spell in the first place.

Dunno, my good aligned sorcerer can probably come up with a dozen reasons to want to cast infernal healing or even protection from good in certain situations.

In a session not long ago she cast infernal healing three times to save three dying men after a caravan had been raided by bandits. So I guess saving their lives is enough to completely corrupt her mind and soul or something?

Would the 'good' action in this scenario have been to watch them die instead?

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Squiggit wrote:
Rysky wrote:
If you spent decades serving the forces of Good you wouldn't want to cast that 1st level spell in the first place.

Dunno, my good aligned sorcerer can probably come up with a dozen reasons to want to cast infernal healing or even protection from good in certain situations.

In a session not long ago she cast infernal healing three times to save three dying men after a caravan had been raided by bandits. So I guess saving their lives is enough to completely corrupt her mind and soul or something?

Hmm, dark powers be tempting and insidious? Interesting...

Something something Road to Hell is paved something something.

More seriously the sidebar in Horror Adventures does SPECIFICALLY call out how actions can outweigh each I.e. the alignment of your actions isn't determined solely by the first action you do, but by all of them. So casting infernal healing = evil, saving someone's life = good.

(Don't know why'd you need PfG up honestly if you're not evil)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Can we let Mark Seifter answer these questions and take the debate to another thread...? I mean, I also think it's a leading question, but I don't think we need to clog up this thread arguing about it.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Sorry.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:


(Don't know why'd you need PfG up honestly if you're not evil)

I've occasionally come into conflict with other good aligned characters, usually because of misunderstanding or extenuating circumstances. Can be handy if you can't end a conflict quickly.

Though actually if it works both ways this seems like it'd be more of an issue for evil characters, because using anti-evil spells against other evil people is pretty common from my experience.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi Mark, hope you are having fun at GenCon and travel and such worked out for you. Have any pleasant surprises out there yet?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

In fantasy fiction of various stripes, the archetype of the everyman (or at least someone not steeped in occult lore or power) with unshakable will and determination is pretty common.

On the flip side, supernatural horror that deals with insanity often has the archetype of the mad scholar or cultist: Someone who digs too deep for dark truths their mind isn't ready for or was too willing to embrace eldritch forces they can't comprehend or are simply unable to resist dark temptations.

So I'm curious what thought process went into reversing those concepts for Horror Adventures. Instead the outsider, like a fighter or rogue, is all but guaranteed to lose their mind while a sorcerer or wizard instead has a mind like a fortress.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Remembertodrinklotsofwaterandcaffiene.

Iamacoffeepersonmyself, whatisyourpreference?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

What are your favorite time travel movies.

And, what are your least favorite time travel movies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There are a lot of captain yesterdays. Is there at least one captain today? Or tomorrow?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Can I use oversized one-handed firearm?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Squiggit wrote:
There are a lot of captain yesterdays. Is there at least one captain today? Or tomorrow?

Not quite, but...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Pretty close.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Okay seriously, stop that. There needs to be a limit on alternate accounts.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

If there is, I will find it.

How's about a race to 500?

Edit: besides, Wibbly Wobbly was made 120 some aliases ago, try to keep up. :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mark.

Maaaaaaarrrrrk

Super-serious series of questions*:

* Nnnnnnope.

If you could have 1d4 ⇒ 4 different super-powers, what would they be and why?
(Assume corollary powers required to make a given power work are part of it; i.e. Since you'd need super tensile strength/durability to, you know, not-die when you made use of your super-strength power, you get them both when you say "super strength" as a singular option.)
Why?

If, instead, you could be a gestalt of 1d2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 super heroes, who would you gestalt to be yourself? Why? Which comic universe would you run around in? Would you prefer to be in that one, or this one?

On the other hand: BAM! You just gained 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 4, 2) + 2 = 12 levels in a Pathfinder class (or classes)! Which class(es) do you pick, and why? Incidentally, if you could spontaneously switch races, would you? And if so, to which?

Similarly, you won the super-lottery, and gained mythic tiers! 3d3 + 1 ⇒ (3, 3, 3) + 1 = 10 of 'em! (And you gain class levels to match; please feel free to change your previous answer if this does so for some reason.) What path do you take? (Alternate option: substitute a single tier for a simple mythic template.)

Yet another query: you monster. Specifically, you CR: 1d30 ⇒ 30 (or less) monster! Which are you?! ... and would this have been your first choice? If not, which would be?

But the wheels of fate-time have spun again, and your everything has been transposed into that of someone else! You've just become a prepublished NPC from an official source! Which prepublished NPC is it?

What campaign setting do you run around in? Why?

As a final thing: blend any and/or all of the above questions into a single ginormous question: an optional blend of a prepublished NPC, monster, and some superheroes all walk into a bar... and out comes you, as a gestalt of those guys, the race you choose, some extra superpowers, and have extra class levels and mythic tiers on top! What are you?! (Other than "awesome" - naturally.)

Equipment is a non-issue (like adjunct super-powers; what you need to do <X> is assumed). Also note that any significant others can be brought with you.

"Official" and "Pre-published" are loose terms, but general expect something that has a solid publishing company and identifiable map/world/conceits behind it (like WotC for Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, etc; or Green Ronin for Blue Rose, but not "True20"; or Paizo for Golarion, or the Maelstrom, or the upcoming Starfinder; but not "the Bestiaries" or "the Planes" or things like that - basically things that people can find and nerd out about with you). Similarly, if it has a solid AP out for it, that, too, is acceptable (like Legendary Planet; or any of Paizo's APs). It should probably be a d20 variant, but it can be whatever you like of those many variants (True20, Blue Rose, Paizo, 3.5, 3rd; etc.). That said, if a Homebrew or otherwise "weak" entry just needs to be there due to compelling reasons... okay. Similarly other systems. Let us know why! Computer and video game translations of such (Neverwinter Nights and/or expansions/sequels; PFO; etc) are acceptable as interpretations as well.

Similarly, for comics, it needs to be superheroes that people can reasonsonably be expected to come across - "that one I made up with my cousin as a kid" is an awesome answer, and worth noting and why, but prrrrooooobabaly isn't the best choice, unless it's just so powerful that you've GOT to. In which case: sure, but bring us along for the ride! Related, the super need not come from one of the "big two" in comics, so long as the people and world is both recognizes me and accessible - choosing The Incredibles world is valid, as is Spawn (blech); you're not just limited to Marvel or DC. Similarly "standard" powers need not apply - so long as it is clearly communicable, it's fine (even if all the field specifics aren't clear, that's okay - knowing you're powered by our yellow star is fine; you don't need to know this, but it's acceptable if you do).

Finally, presume you have the basics necessary for a happy life. Your spouse, best friend, and so on, can all be considered to "come with you" (should they choose to do so) wherever it is that you go.

Oh, and one more thing: if you lived through a Legend of Zelda (as one of the Links); which would it be, and why?

Thanks! Enjoy!

EDIT: coding. Sorry for typos. On a phone. That said, I should probably copy/paste this to others... And again for typos. I think I got the last your/you're mistake, but, uh... can't be sure. Sorry! Tired for clarity...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Mark,

Shouldn't multiple account syndrome have been an insanity in Horror Adventures?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
Hell, this rule makes it nearly impossible to be a neutral caster. You have to go out of your way to cast evil spells or commit evil deeds to counteract the castings of Protection from Evil you put on the party because some ghouls showed up. I mean, this rule can make lawful neutral or chaotic neutral druids fall because they lost their alignment.

Are there many (any?) low-level druid spells with alignment discriptors? The usual examples of Protection From alignment and Detect alignment aren't on the Druid list, and the only examples I can think of are high level (and so less likely to be spammable for alignment-changing purposes). I can think of a couple low-level examples in 3.5 (with Magic Fang arguably being the best for the purpose you describe, since it is only 2nd level and can be your choice of [Evil], [Good], [Chaos] or [Law], and you don't even have to decide which it is ahead of time!) I'm not sure if there is something similar in Pathfinder, but I'll admit I haven't kept up with all the Paizo splatbooks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In a semi recent FAQ it was clarified that magical conjured weapons do not count as manufactured. Two questions:

1) Do weaponlike spell/supernatural effects that specifically call out weapon type also not count as manufactured? Flame Blade specifically calls out that you wield it as a scimitar, so would it count as manufactured because scimitars are or does the FAQ still apply? Likewise for the Mindblade magus, which is less specific but lets you create a weapon of your choice. Would a mind rapier count as manufactured because rapiers are, or not because even though it's like a rapier it's still a magical effect?

2) Was it intended in this FAQ that weaponlike supernatural/spell effects created this way no longer benefit from effects like Haste? Haste specifically calls out manufactured or natural weapons and per this FAQ, things like a Warlock's Mystic Bolts or a Kineticist's Kinetic Blade aren't necessarily either.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mr. Mark Seifter,

What do you call that feeling you get when you realize that you set up a situation in game that if things get fubared enough or if the players try hard enough they could literally change the face of the planet and kill millions of people... Or worse?

On a related note: What effect would Avistan suddenly disappearing have on the rest of the planet?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

How do psychics not have telekinetic volley on their spell list? Levitating a bunch of objects to fling at enemies seems like such a classic psychic thing.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The NPC wrote:

Mr. Mark Seifter,

What do you call that feeling you get when you realize that you set up a situation in game that if things get fubared enough or if the players try hard enough they could literally change the face of the planet and kill millions of people... Or worse?

On a related note: What effect would Avistan suddenly disappearing have on the rest of the planet?

Heh.

Oh, sorry, this is a place to ask Mark stuff.

*ahem*

Heh?

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Hi Mark!
I have questions about serveral occult class.

Mindblade is one of magus archetypes in OA.
MindBlade can create a melee weapon of her choice using psychic energy.In PFS, If one of players got a chronicle which allow her to buy a non-magical timeworn technological melee weapon with serveral charges, was she able to create that technological weapon as her psychic weapon ?

And Battle Host, archetype of Occultist,can gain a weapon or a armor at 1st level. If a player got a chronicle which allow her to buy a non-magical timeworn technological weapon with serveral charges, was she able to just gain a level of battle host and get that weapon?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What happens if someone with an anti magic field has a Wall of Suppresion placed on top of them?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi Mark!

You mentioned that part of your Karzoug tactics involved using undead anatomy IV to assume the form of an incoporeal undead. Which undead do you favor taking the form of when using undead anatomy IV?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mr. Mark Seifter,

If a player asked to play an Occultist, but instead of normal implements, they asked if the character could use parts of their body as their implements would you allow it?

I ask because I have this idea for a character who is undergoing the Hive corruption and channels his psychic magic through his newly mutated parts. For instance using Living Armor as an abjuration implement and Living Weapon for a transmutation implement.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mr. Mark Seifter,

In your estimation which archetype of spiritualist would best represent a character who is half-ghost? (Or maybe normal spiritualist?)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

there's a new archetype, exciter I think, where the ghost doesn't manifest but gives it bonuses to the spiritualist. And the Ectoplasmatist might also fit.

Paizo Employee Designer

5 people marked this as a favorite.

FAQ Friday returns after GenCon!

FAQ wrote:

Bodyguard: The Bodyguard feat says that I can spend one of my attacks of opportunity to use aid another to increase the AC of an adjacent ally, but it doesn’t say one way or the other whether this removes other restrictions on aid another? Particularly, do I need to threaten the attacking enemy? Also, has that enemy provoked an attack of opportunity from me?

You still need to fulfill all requirements of aid another, including threatening the attacking enemy. Bodyguard uses up one of your attacks of opportunity for the round, but the enemy hasn’t provoked an attack of opportunity from you, nor are you making one (which is relevant for abilities like Paired Opportunist).

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Aww

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mark Seifter wrote:

FAQ Friday returns after GenCon!

FAQ wrote:

Bodyguard: The Bodyguard feat says that I can spend one of my attacks of opportunity to use aid another to increase the AC of an adjacent ally, but it doesn’t say one way or the other whether this removes other restrictions on aid another? Particularly, do I need to threaten the attacking enemy? Also, has that enemy provoked an attack of opportunity from me?

You still need to fulfill all requirements of aid another, including threatening the attacking enemy. Bodyguard uses up one of your attacks of opportunity for the round, but the enemy hasn’t provoked an attack of opportunity from you, nor are you making one (which is relevant for abilities like Paired Opportunist).

There's something that feels really wrong about Bodyguard not working against ranged attacks (it makes the feat and the idea behind it much weaker), but I guess we can all hope for an eventual errata to change that...

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Lukas Stariha wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:

FAQ Friday returns after GenCon!

FAQ wrote:

Bodyguard: The Bodyguard feat says that I can spend one of my attacks of opportunity to use aid another to increase the AC of an adjacent ally, but it doesn’t say one way or the other whether this removes other restrictions on aid another? Particularly, do I need to threaten the attacking enemy? Also, has that enemy provoked an attack of opportunity from me?

You still need to fulfill all requirements of aid another, including threatening the attacking enemy. Bodyguard uses up one of your attacks of opportunity for the round, but the enemy hasn’t provoked an attack of opportunity from you, nor are you making one (which is relevant for abilities like Paired Opportunist).
There's something that feels really wrong about Bodyguard not working against ranged attacks, but I guess we can all hope for an eventual errata to change that...

Or reach.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That too, but a bodyguard who can't protect his ward from arrows is pretty pathetic, especially since he can't really leave their side to kill said archers. (This is what I mean by the idea behind it being weaker, the character concept that would want it essentially breaks down.)

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Hmm, maybe the FaQ means we make an Intimidate check to satisfy the "threatening" part, which actually makes a lot of sense for a bodyguard!

"Touch her and I'll play hopscotch in your ribcage!" :3


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey Mark, glad to see you chimed in over here: Hallowed Necromancer Questions

If possible, would you be willing to give a weigh-in with my first question, or would you need to ask whoever wrote the archetype?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yay! FAQ Friday!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

How does Vanguard Style(PPC:AMH) and the Order of the Dragon's Aid Allies(APG) work?

Both of them let you use aid another to improve an ally's saving throws, but I can't find any description in any of the rules that actually say how you do that. The normal rules for aid another only tell you how they work for attack rolls, AC and skill checks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Questions about working at Paizo:

1. Who's the nicest person you work with? Why?

2. Who smells the best?

3. Who sings in the office (there is always one)? Are they good?

4. Who has the most pictures of family?

5. Does anyone say those horrible, awful, cheesy office phrases, like "somebody has a case of the Mondays", "working hard or hardly working", or worst of all, "are we having fun yet?"

6. Do you guys have those corporate motivational posters? You know the ones I'm talking about. There's something scenic and a word like "persistence" and like...a balloon on a mountain too or something like that.

7. Who has a cool voice? Like "this person should do narration" or something.

8. How is the coffee?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

Hmm, maybe the FaQ means we make an Intimidate check to satisfy the "threatening" part, which actually makes a lot of sense for a bodyguard!

"Touch her and I'll play hopscotch in your ribcage!" :3

Tammy wants to play Ribcage Hopscotch.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tammy the Lich wrote:
Rysky wrote:

Hmm, maybe the FaQ means we make an Intimidate check to satisfy the "threatening" part, which actually makes a lot of sense for a bodyguard!

"Touch her and I'll play hopscotch in your ribcage!" :3

Tammy wants to play Ribcage Hopscotch.

I'll help.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In the exciter archetype for the spiritualist it's referencing the bloodrage instead of rage, any particular reason for this? I find it odd that it's not referencing a core mechanic when it easily could.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mark how do spells that boost skill checks work with checks that are delayed such as with linguistics forgery checks.

linguistics wrote:
The Linguistics check is made secretly, so that you're not sure how good your forgery is. As with Disguise, you don't make a check until someone examines the work.

What happens with spells that boost skill checks whose duration expires between when the forgery is made and when the check is made?

Can instantaneous spells be used to boost these checks, such as burst of insight? If so when is the spell cast? At forgery creation or much later when the check is made? If it is much later, do you have to know the check is being made in order to use burst of insight?

Would bonuses apply to every time that forgery is examined or just the first time, or just during the duration of the spell?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That is... a strange rule. Seems like it'd be a lot more intuitive if you made the check when you create the forgery/disguise and just set the number aside as the DC to pierce it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Squiggit wrote:
That is... a strange rule. Seems like it'd be a lot more intuitive if you made the check when you create the forgery/disguise and just set the number aside as the DC to pierce it.

That is my gut feeling too, but I am curious as to Mark's thoughts. I'm planning a character for an upcoming campaign and I have been trying to wrap my brain around it.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

HI Mark, I want to make a higher level Haste Spell with 3 changes
the spell level would increase to 5th level the spell duration would increase to either minutes per level or Hours per level and in the text of the spell would change from a full attack action to an attack action
the rest of the spell would remain the same.

for a level 5 spell do you think that would be too powerful? What spell level do think would be right for the spell with the above changes?

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

HI Mark, same questions
1 Can Hunter let Animal Companion choose Skirmisher's Hunter's Tricks "Bolster Companion"?
2 Can Hunter choose feat “Monstrous Mount”?

5,051 to 5,100 of 6,818 << first < prev | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *Mark Seifter* All Your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.