Mythic Sneak Attack damage


Rules Questions

Liberty's Edge

Is there a Mythic Ability that does for Sneak Attack damage what the Life Current mythic ability does for clerics?

"When casting a cure or inflict spell or use a class feature that uses positive or negative energy (such as channel energy or lay on hands), treat any natural 1s on the dice rolled to heal or deal damage as 2s. You can select this ability up to four times. The second time you select it, treat natural 1s and 2s as 3s. The third time you select it, treat natural 1s, 2s, and 3s as 4s. The fourth time, treat natural 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s as 5s."


Don't know about Mythic Abilities, but the Powerful Sneak rogue talent does that. And there's an advanced rogue talent that bumps up the 1s and 2s to 3s called Deadly Sneak. Both are in the Advanced Player's Guide.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Wow, that's a somewhat lame ability for Mythic. The Trickster's Fickle Attack path ability is much better. But you do have to be 3rd-tier to take it (oh, looks like Life Current is a 3rd-tier ability, too, so yeah):

Fickle Attack (Ex): Whenever you roll damage for a melee or ranged attack with a weapon or alchemical item, you can treat any natural 1s on the damage dice as if they were the highest possible number on those dice. You can select this ability up to three times. The second time you select it, treat 1s and 2s as the highest value. The third time, treat 1s, 2s, and 3s as the highest value.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
pluvia33 wrote:

Wow, that's a somewhat lame ability for Mythic. The Trickster's Fickle Attack path ability is much better. But you do have to be 3rd-tier to take it (oh, looks like Life Current is a 3rd-tier ability, too, so yeah):

Fickle Attack (Ex): Whenever you roll damage for a melee or ranged attack with a weapon or alchemical item, you can treat any natural 1s on the damage dice as if they were the highest possible number on those dice. You can select this ability up to three times. The second time you select it, treat 1s and 2s as the highest value. The third time, treat 1s, 2s, and 3s as the highest value.

Keep in mind that those cure, inflict, or class features, unlike sneak attacks can be AOE effects as well. And using them is far less conditional than getting sneak attack damage.

Liberty's Edge

Thanks!

I'm trying to help my friend create a rogue or ninja who can compete with the more martial characters in his damage output.

Do you think Fickle Attack would apply to ranged touch spells where sneak attack can be added to the damage? Probably not.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
LazarX wrote:
Keep in mind that those cure, inflict, or class features, unlike sneak attacks can be AOE effects as well. And using them is far less conditional than getting sneak attack damage.

Yes, if you could only utilize fickle attack for sneak attack damage, it would be conditional, but it applies to all weapon and alchemical item damage dice.

casiel wrote:
Do you think Fickle Attack would apply to ranged touch spells where sneak attack can be added to the damage? Probably not.

I would say it'd be a GM call. Personally, I'd say no. There are times when rays are considered to be treated like weapons (like in the opening text for Weapon Focus), but since the ability specifically calls out weapons and alchemical items when damage dealing alchemical items are typically already considered weapons in a similar way, I'd say those are the only types of "weapons" other than traditional manufactured weapons that this ability is meant to work with.


If it uses a ray yes. Otherwise no because not all ranged touch attacks are rays, and taking this won't make your damage considerably higher so it would be waste of feats.

Let's say you roll 10d6 and the normal average is 35 points of damage.

Now you take this 2 times so that the lowest number you can roll is a 3
Let's say you roll 10d6 again. The average is now 45 points of damage.

However that is before you factor in the monster's AC and your ability to hit the monster. Then both of those number drop.

You will not compete with the martials that are well built for damage output as a rogue/ninja.
Well you can go with nonlethal damage and double your sneak attack die, but some creatures are immune to nonlethal damage.

Unless you the rogue/ninja has a class ability you need, you may want to consider multiclassing or going a different route with your concept.

Silver Crusade

I would say if the ranged touch attack was from a ray spell, Fickle Attack would most certainly apply, since rays are considered weapons.

As a GM, I would also let it apply to other weapon-like spells, although the RAW on those is less clear.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Mythic Sneak Attack damage All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.