Games publisher attempts to patent RPG mechanics


Pathfinder Online

Goblin Squad Member

Games publisher attempts to patent RPG mechanics

by Andrew Girdwood on June 18, 2014 in Tabletop RPGs
The American patent system is well known among techies – and not for good reasons. This is the entity that granted Amazon a patent for taking photos against a white background.

Right now the US Patent and Trademark Office is considering giving a small publisher the patent protected rights to convert entities (PCs, Monsters, NPCs, stats, weapons, etc) from one genre to another.

For example, moving your Beyond the Supernatural character to Rifts would become a patent protected right. Exploring universes in Monte Cook’s The Strange might also come under the patent. The list goes on.

The issue came to light during a Q&A session on Dan Davenport’s #rpgnet channel. It was then blogged by Bedroom Wall Press. The full transcript of the conversation can be found at GM Shoe but here’s a relevant snippet.

[20:54] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> So far we have about 800+ original artworks, 4 Registered TMs, and a patent for changing genres. We hope to be here a long time!
[20:54] <+xyphoid> A patent on a rpg mechanic? Can you tell us more about that?
[20:56] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> Not in a few mins… also, it get to be law-speak gibberish very quickly.
[20:56] <~Dan> What (if any) game systems inspired you?
[20:57] <+AJofUniversalHorizons> IN essence, it’s a process patent for paper and online applications for transferring virtual entities from one genre to another.

AJ Schmidt isn’t telling tall tales. You can find the application for the patent at the US PTO.

Object? Worried? There’s instructions for a third-party comment here and the official form here.

In theory the patent office might block it. Bedroom Wall Press are sceptical this will happen. I am as well. There’s too much history against the USPTO for anyone to be hopeful.

Whereas gamers and publishers may have reason to be concerned I note there’s been some hostile comments to Universal Horizons. That’s hardly the way forward either. Writing in a Facebook update this morning the publisher said;

The patent issue: I will respond, but will continue to delete negative, derogatory, or flaming comments. This is our FB page. We cannot shut down anyone’s favorite game or redefining water as was earlier suggested. The sky is not falling, designers are free to create very dynamic RPGs and systems. Please read and understand:

We are a small company that invented a very specific process for shifting characters through genres, and we want to protect it using a patent. We consulted a lawyer who confirmed the same and encouraged a process patent. We want to protect the process we invented.

Many are commenting on the abstract that uses abstract language. The details of a patent are referred to within the cited definitions and the main book. This does not affect any previous publications or any other future publications that do not copy our process.

In a comment on the same thread, Universal Horizons indicated they won’t sue other publishers should they win the patent.

We witnessed the craziness of copyright infringement with Gygax and many smaller companies from larger game companies. We sought the consult of a copyright/ patent attorney. He informed us patent law protects better than copyright law. After his research, he informed us our method of character conversion was unique enough to the patented. Thus we sought the patent to protect our idea. Your insight is right-on. To be clear: we will not attack, sue, or investigate previous/ current game systems for infringement.

The desire to protect your ideas and avoid being ripped off is understandable. The question is whether the patent approach is the right way to go. What do you think?

Update: It would be useful if a patent expert/lawyer popped up with some insight. In particular: does is patent exclusive to or inclusive of the role of a computer?

Image credit: Patent Troll by McNeil

You might also like

Superhero Week: The naked truth underneath female superhero costumes
(this site)

If Disney designed Daenerys Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea
(this site)

Drawing the impossible? Fully dressed Superheroines
(this site)

The sexy My Little Pony Transformer cosplay body paint mashup
(this site)

Overlored – Final Fantasy: Nova Fabula Crystalis
(Ready Up)
Recommended by


This thread really upsets me.

Quote:
If Disney designed Daenerys Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea

You forgot to include the link!

Goblin Squad Member

if someone wants to see that facebook, it is here Universal horizons

Goblin Squad Member

I'm clicking for sexy My Little Pony Transformers mashups but nothing is happening! D:

Goblin Squad Member

Hey Bludd - any reason this is in the PFOnline forum? I think it might get more traction in General Discussion…

Also yes - no links at the bottom to the content you are referring to…

[EDIT - never mind on the links - obviously c+p error there…[/EDIT]

Goblin Squad Member

So, first off original article. This appears primarily to be a patent on software to move characters from one format to another. And reading the actual claims in the application, looks like nothing more than a bit of basic database ETL via mapping template. I'd like to say there's no way this goes through, but.... I've seen the USPTO at work. On the plus side, if it does, no court will ever uphold it (unless it's in East Texas). Of course, that just means it ends up in front of the CAFC, who are so IP expansionist it's nauseating.

Goblin Squad Member

Oceanshieldwolf wrote:
Hey Bludd - any reason this is in the PFOnline forum? I think it might get more traction in General Discussion…

There are non PFOnline forums? Surely you jest....

Goblin Squad Member

Caldeathe Baequiannia wrote:
Oceanshieldwolf wrote:
Hey Bludd - any reason this is in the PFOnline forum? I think it might get more traction in General Discussion…
There are non PFOnline forums? Surely you jest....

Usually I do Cal, usually I do...

Goblin Squad Member

Oceanshieldwolf wrote:
Hey Bludd - any reason this is in the PFOnline forum? I think it might get more traction in General Discussion…

Yeah, I chose not to put it in a section of the forums I almost never go to.

Goblin Squad Member

I am going to have to write things down. About a decade ago, after class in Design Patterns(Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides), I had an idea of a utility that would keep information about characters, items, buildings (dimension, resistance, ….). It would track changes (experience, equipment, possibly even track location of discarded or lost equipment) and generate the character instances (print out of computer display) based upon game system (d20, Harn, Gurps, Swords Path to Glory, Earthdawn, House Rules mods, …). After another training in Mole Based System Engineering, two years ago, I again considered this, but my skills have rusted.

It seemed to be a lot of work and no obvious market. I am not that great, and I did think of this. I imagine there are some out there that did more.

I am not saying I am great. I am saying this is not very novel. To the extent that others have copies of what they did do, and there are probably thousands, it speaks to the lack of novelty and amour of prior art.

If you have records, step up.

Goblin Squad Member

Lam wrote:

I am going to have to write things down. About a decade ago, after class in Design Patterns(Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides), I had an idea of a utility that would keep information about characters, items, buildings (dimension, resistance, ….). It would track changes (experience, equipment, possibly even track location of discarded or lost equipment) and generate the character instances (print out of computer display) based upon game system (d20, Harn, Gurps, Swords Path to Glory, Earthdawn, House Rules mods, …). After another training in Mole Based System Engineering, two years ago, I again considered this, but my skills have rusted.

It seemed to be a lot of work and no obvious market. I am not that great, and I did think of this. I imagine there are some out there that did more.

I am not saying I am great. I am saying this is not very novel. To the extent that others have copies of what they did do, and there are probably thousands, it speaks to the lack of novelty and amour of prior art.

If you have records, step up.

This sounds similar to hero labs.

I believe they've even come up with a campaign tracker as well.

Goblinworks Executive Founder

So, a computer program that accepts data from one context and outputs data in a different context? The general case of that has prior art that predates transistors.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Digital Games / Pathfinder Online / Games publisher attempts to patent RPG mechanics All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Online