Worldwound Walker Feat


Rules Questions


10 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

Does this feat counter Smiting? Would a Paladin with this feat be immune from being Smited?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Source?


Source is Champion of Purity. And no, it protects good creatures from the spell effects of evil spells designed to harm good creatures specifically.

It allows you to count as neutral instead of good for spells that have differing effects based on alignment. As smite is not a spell, it is unaffected.


Claxon wrote:

Source is Champion of Purity. And no, it protects good creatures from the spell effects of evil spells designed to harm good creatures specifically.

It allows you to count as neutral instead of good for spells that have differing effects based on alignment. As smite is not a spell, it is unaffected.

Actually, it says "Spells AND Effects" not "Spell Effects". So it makes a paladin immune to Smite Good and Unholy weapons as well.

Worldwound Walker:
Your purity always remains a blessing, even when you’re surrounded by creatures that despise it.

Prerequisites: 5 or more Hit Dice, good alignment.

Benefit: You can alter the essence of your being to lessen the effects of spells designed to harm good creatures. When affected by spells and effects that behave differently according to alignment (such as unholy word or protection from good), you can choose whether you are considered good or neutral. This ability does not actually change your alignment or fool divinations, nor does it permit you to overcome alignment requirements for the use of magic items, class abilities, and so on.


@Matrix
Actually it does say 'spell effects'.

Quote:
You can alter the essence of your being to lessen the effects of spells designed to harm good creatures.


a shadow wrote:

@Matrix

Actually it does say 'spell effects'.
Quote:
You can alter the essence of your being to lessen the effects of spells designed to harm good creatures.

And the following sentence says this:

"When affected by spells and effects that behave differently according to alignment..."

Scarab Sages

Contradicting rules text in the feat. That's about right. FAQing for clarification.


Is Smite Good a spell or an effect that behaves differently according to alignment?

To me, it looks like Smite Good is a Supernatural Ability that ONLY affects good alignments and doesn't say anything about behaving differently according to alignment.

What would happen if a paladin Smited Evil on a neutral or good character? Absolutely nothing (i.e. there's no difference in behavior).

Quote:

Smite Good (Su): Once per day, an antipaladin can call out to the dark powers to crush the forces of good. As a swift action, the antipaladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is good, the antipaladin adds his Charisma bonus (if any) on his attack rolls and adds his antipaladin level on all damage rolls made against the target of his smite. If the target of smite good is an outsider with the good subtype, a good-aligned dragon, or a good creature with levels of cleric or paladin, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the antipaladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite good attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

In addition, while smite good is in effect, the antipaladin gains a deflection bonus equal to his Charisma modifier (if any) to his AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the antipaladin targets a creature that is not good, the smite is wasted with no effect.

The smite good effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the antipaladin rests and regains his uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the antipaladin may smite good one additional time per day, as indicated on Table 2–13, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level.


Matrix Dragon wrote:
Claxon wrote:

Source is Champion of Purity. And no, it protects good creatures from the spell effects of evil spells designed to harm good creatures specifically.

It allows you to count as neutral instead of good for spells that have differing effects based on alignment. As smite is not a spell, it is unaffected.

Actually, it says "Spells AND Effects" not "Spell Effects". So it makes a paladin immune to Smite Good and Unholy weapons as well.

** spoiler omitted **

Wow, my mind totally omitted the and. Which means...

Imbicatus wrote:
Contradicting rules text in the feat. That's about right. FAQing for clarification.

That this is totally correct. It is in fact, completely contradictory within itself. The first line says spells only, the second line says "spells and effects" which are two different things.

The first excludes smite, the second would probably include smite. Though later wording in the feat might make it invalid, as "A Shaodw" points out. I'm not 100% on that.

In either event, this seems to require an FAQ.


a shadow wrote:

Is Smite Good a spell or an effect that behaves differently according to alignment?

To me, it looks like Smite Good is a Supernatural Ability that ONLY affects good alignments and doesn't say anything about behaving differently according to alignment.

What would happen if a paladin Smited Evil on a neutral or good character? Absolutely nothing (i.e. there's no difference in behavior).

I don't see the distinction you're making; by definition, only effecting certain alignments is behaving differently according to alignment. Smite Good even specifies its different behavior vs non-good alignments.

Quote:
If the antipaladin targets a creature that is not good, the smite is wasted with no effect.

Compare to the definition of Protection from Good, which the feat specifically calls out as working against.

Protection from Good wrote:
This spell functions like protection from evil, except that the deflection and resistance bonuses apply to attacks made by good creatures. The target receives a new saving throw against control by good creatures and good summoned creatures cannot touch the target.
Protection from Evil wrote:

This spell wards a creature from attacks by evil creatures, from mental control, and from summoned creatures. It creates a magical barrier around the subject at a distance of 1 foot. The barrier moves with the subject and has three major effects.

First, the subject gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves. Both these bonuses apply against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.

Second, the subject immediately receives another saving throw (if one was allowed to begin with) against any spells or effects that possess or exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment [charm] effects and enchantment [compulsion] effects, such as charm person, command, and dominate person). This saving throw is made with a +2 morale bonus, using the same DC as the original effect. If successful, such effects are suppressed for the duration of this spell. The effects resume when the duration of this spell expires. While under the effects of this spell, the target is immune to any new attempts to possess or exercise mental control over the target. This spell does not expel a controlling life force (such as a ghost or spellcaster using magic jar), but it does prevent them from controlling the target. This second effect only functions against spells and effects created by evil creatures or objects, subject to GM discretion.

Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by evil summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Summoned creatures that are not evil are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell Resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.


I'm definitely interested in how this turns out.
How and where do FAQs get answered? And is Paizo pretty good with clarifying questions?


Imbicatus wrote:
Contradicting rules text in the feat. That's about right. FAQing for clarification.

Ugh. More editing issues.

The intro does indeed say spells, however the second line, which describes what the rule does, reads `spells and effects.

While it is unclear, I would go with the `spells and effects` until clarified. At PFS tables, YMMV.

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

People... calm down. They're inclusive.

Sentence 1: You're protected from spells.
Sentence 2: You're protected from spells and effects.

Ok. So you're protected from spells and effects. Got it.

Just because it's not stated twice that you're protected from effects, doesn't mean that it doesn't say you're protected from effects. There is zero ambiguity here.


First sentence seems to be fluff misplaced and badly written.

It's sad this feat doesn't use a wording as clear as the one in the angelskin special material.


Smite [alignment] is definitely an "effect" that behaves differently depending on alignment.


HectorVivis wrote:

First sentence seems to be fluff misplaced and badly written.

It's sad this feat doesn't use a wording as clear as the one in the angelskin special material.

I think that this is the issue, anyway i also FAQed it.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Worldwound Walker Feat All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.