Forest hexes in the mountain level hexes


Pathfinder Online

Goblin Squad Member

OK, everyone thinks I am crazy.

They are right and woe unto the settlement that takes me in -- but numbers count.

In the first map . There were seemingly forest hexes on most mountain elevation hexes. Was that real?

Did that change? In the later maps these are all shown as mountain terrain, not forest at mountain elevation. And subsequent maps do not show the early difference.

AA and AB and other mountain elevation hexes, which were forest and no longer are, have important influence on the risks of those sites.

So, Lee were you right the first time or the second time with the terrain types of these level two hexes. It is not fair to the land rush for these to have such an uncertainty. If you say the first map is right, I loose my leverage of my preference, but the community is better off.

Nothing is worse that being right and all suffer because no one believed me!

Goblin Squad Member

Not to say about those specific hexes but I do recall it being said that dual terrain hexes did exist.

Goblin Squad Member

Actually I can cite many examptes that still indicate that (consider forests next to A and B). This is more a call to ask what is real terrain.

Goblin Squad Member

They are exactly what they look like. They are forest hexes surrounded by mountain hexes. There's no great mystery here. You do not need to go through a "pass" to get to them.

Rushing the Land

"Lee Hammock" wrote:
If you see a hex of a terrain level surrounded by hexes of a different terrain level, such as a woodlands hex surrounded by cropland hexes or mountain hexes, you don’t need a pass to go between those hexes.

Goblin Squad Member

Well in the first map Forest+Mountains was its own distinct color from forest or mountains. It's the reason for this discussion.

Goblinworks Lead Game Designer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

In some older versions of the map we had a Forested Mountains hex type, but mechanically that ended up being really ugly to balance (either you got enough of wood and metal resources that you could cover both easily, or you didn't get enough and the hexes were pointless), so we turned them into flat mountain hexes. The map icons didn't get updated as quickly as the balance math, so they showed up in some of the maps until recently.

Goblin Squad Member

Lee Hammock wrote:
In some older versions of the map we had a Forested Mountains hex type, but mechanically that ended up being really ugly to balance (either you got enough of wood and metal resources that you could cover both easily, or you didn't get enough and the hexes were pointless), so we turned them into flat mountain hexes. The map icons didn't get updated as quickly as the balance math, so they showed up in some of the maps until recently.

Thanks for giving us a clear, official statement to refer back to :)

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

But it is still a very pretty and readable map, once you see it in PDF.

Nihimon wrote:
Lee Hammock wrote:
In some older versions of the map we had a Forested Mountains hex type, but mechanically that ended up being really ugly to balance (either you got enough of wood and metal resources that you could cover both easily, or you didn't get enough and the hexes were pointless), so we turned them into flat mountain hexes. The map icons didn't get updated as quickly as the balance math, so they showed up in some of the maps until recently.

Thanks for giving us a clear, official statement to refer back to :)

Goblin Squad Member

Yes, it is very readable, but why was it so different. Some think these mountain hexes can sustain a community and generate lots of IRON and Stone along with essences, some mineral chemicals, a few herbs, iron/silver/platinum, gems.

There is a five letter word.

Goblin Squad Member

Lam wrote:

Yes, it is very readable, but why was it so different. Some think these mountain hexes can sustain a community and generate lots of IRON and Stone along with essences, some mineral chemicals, a few herbs, iron/silver/platinum, gems.

There is a five letter word.

Well, if you mean sustain a community as in that community being able to support itself without outside assistance, then I have yet to see anyone make that statement. I have seen members of the KotC say that mountain based settlements will be able to survive by trading for goods they need from other settlements.

Also five letter word?

Goblin Squad Member

Yes, If you are in an area with a lot o stone and Iron that you need to sell for food and trade good which are locally rare, How much does it matter that there is very little stone or ore 20 hexes away. THis is Alaska mine fields!

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ChaiGuy wrote:
Also five letter word?

"Trade" perhaps?

Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Digital Games / Pathfinder Online / Forest hexes in the mountain level hexes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Online