just trying to understand some encounter stuff.


Rules Questions and Gameplay Discussion

Sovereign Court

Okay I'm sure the answers are scattered around the board but I read the rulebook and FAQ and this still isn't clear to me so I thought I'd ask them all at once. I've been playing 2 player with a friend as lem while he plays valeros and I just am not sure about this stiff

During an encounter with a bane, can I use a weapon and an attack spell? Like when lem is in combat can he use a heavy crossbow and cast holy light to use both a dex die+divine die+2d6+1d10?

When an ally in the same location as me is making a check, can I cast an attack spell to aid them, I'm not sure if that counts as modifying the skill used for the check or not, obviously strength can be cast when someone is making a melee attack and a blessing can be used to add a die, but can I as lem cast holy light when valeros is attacking a ghost?

When a blessing adds die to something that you are getting multiple die to do you choose which die to multiply or do you use the base die, i.e. one blessing lets you add two die to a ranged combat check, and the crossbow lets me use my dex die plus a d10, my dex die is a d8, so do I use 3d8+1d10 or can I use 1d8+3d10?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

During a check, you can only use one card that defines the skill for the check. A weapon like heavy crossbow and a spell line holy light both define the skill for a combat check, because they say "For your combat check do X". So Lem can't play both of them on the same check.

No, Lem can't cast holy light to help Valeros. Holy Light says "your combat check" and if you are Lem that isn't you're combat check.

You add the die associated with the skill being used for the check. So Lem would get extra D8s in your example.

FYI: Not all attack spells say "For your combat check". Check out toxic cloud and swipe. Toxic cloud isn't even played as part of the check (it is pay of the encounter, but not part of the check). So those you could Platt with a weapon or to help Valeros.

You might find this helpful.

Good luck on your adventure.

Sovereign Court

Hawkmoon269 wrote:

During a check, you can only use one card that defines the skill for the check. A weapon like heavy crossbow and a spell line holy light both define the skill for a combat check, because they say "For your combat check do X". So Lem can't play both of them on the same check.

No, Lem can't cast holy light to help Valeros. Holy Light says "your combat check" and if you are Lem that isn't you're combat check.

You add the die associated with the skill being used for the check. So Lem would get extra D8s in your example.

FYI: Not all attack spells say "For your combat check". Check out toxic cloud and swipe. Toxic cloud isn't even played as part of the check (it is pay of the encounter, but not part of the check). So those you could Platt with a weapon or to help Valeros.

You might find this helpful.

Good luck on your adventure.

Heya thanks for the responses, I kinda thought that made sense the way you answered everything but for the life of me I couldn't find it definitively stated in the rulebook anywhere, was it there and I just missed it? I did read the line that says you can't play spells unless they modify the check, but I didn't find a good definition of what exactly defined modifying the check. I wasn't involved in the playtest and haven't been on the boards in ages, but I'm a pretty good rules master in general so it was frustrating that I was either not seeing it or it wasn't there. As to your download I was going to get it once I got on my home computer.

Same thing with the add a die thing where is that defined in the rules, I believe it should be that way that's how I was guessing it was supposed to go, but I just couldn't find it anywhere.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

The limit on one card defining the check is on page 11 of the rulebook as the first step in the Attempting a Check sequence.

Rulebook v3 p11 wrote:

Determine Which Die You’re Using. Cards that require a check specify the skill or skills you can use to attempt the check. Each check to defeat or acquire a card lists one or more skills; you may choose any of the listed skills for your check...

Most monsters and some barriers call for a combat check. Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat check; if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee skill. (A few cards that can be used on checks don’t use any of your skills; they instead specify the exact dice you need to roll or the result of your die roll.)
Some cards may allow you to replace the required skill for a check with a different one; as part of this action, you may play only 1 card or use only 1 power that defines the skill you are going to use. When you play a card that does this, add that card’s traits to the check; for example, revealing the weapon Longsword +1 for your combat check adds the Sword, Melee, Slashing, and Magic traits to the check.

That last paragraph there is the one that limits you to either Heavy Crossbow or Holy Light for your combat check.

Once you determine which skill you are using, then cards that affect the check are played a few steps later in the sequence:

Rulebook v3 p11 wrote:

Play Cards and Use Powers That Affect the Check (Optional). Players may now play cards or use powers that affect the check. Players may not do things that modify a skill unless you’re using that skill, and players may not do things that affect combat unless you’re attempting a combat check. Do not add traits from these cards to the check; for example, playing the spell Guidance on a check does not give the check the Divine trait.

Some cards and powers affect only specific types of checks, such as Dexterity checks, Acrobatics checks, or noncombat checks. If, on your character card, the skill you’re using refers to another skill, both skills count for the purpose of determining the type of check. For example, if you’re using the Arcane skill on a combat check, and your character card says that your Arcane skill is Intelligence +2, the check counts as both a combat Arcane check and a combat Intelligence check. Traits also determine the type of check; for example, if you’re attempting a combat check and you played a weapon that added the Ranged trait, it counts as a Ranged combat check.

So to affect the check it has to match with the skill or trait or type of check. So if someone is using the Heavy Crossbow, no one can play the Strength spell because that isn't the skill being used (unless you are Weapon Master Valeros, but don't worry about that for now.) You also couldn't play a Blessing of Calistra to add 2 dice to a non-combat Dexterity check because you are making a combat check. Someone else could discard a shortbow to add 1d4 to a combat check at another location for you, but only if they are at another location.

The blessing die is on page 16

Rulebook v3 p16 wrote:
Blessing: Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location. The dice added are normally of the type associated with the skill the character is using for the check; if a card instead specifies the exact dice to roll for the check, the added dice are of the type specified by that card. For example, if Lem is making a Strength check with his Strength of d4+1, Blessing of the Gods adds a d4.

I hope that all helps.

SIDE NOTE: Man, auto correct destroyed my first post in this thread.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I've learned that Hawkmoon is every PACG player's best friend on these boards. I hear in the next printing of the game, they're just going to do away with the rulebook and include a clone of him/her in every box. The box will be a big bigger, and it will cost $150 instead of $60, but it'll be totally worth it. :)

Sovereign Court

So we're about to finish AP 1 and get AP 2, when we finish AP 1 do we put all the AP 1 cards back in the box (other than those in our character decks) and play only with core set and AP 2 cards or do we leave the AP 1 cards in the mix and just add the AP 2 cards to all the other cards?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Leave them in and keep adding new decks. The rule by which cards are removed is on the adventure path card.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Doug Maynard wrote:
I've learned that Hawkmoon is every PACG player's best friend on these boards. I hear in the next printing of the game, they're just going to do away with the rulebook and include a clone of him/her in every box. The box will be a big bigger, and it will cost $150 instead of $60, but it'll be totally worth it. :)

Unfortunately, the cost of shipping his clones would be nearly as high as the cost of making those clones.


Vic Wertz wrote:
Doug Maynard wrote:
I've learned that Hawkmoon is every PACG player's best friend on these boards. I hear in the next printing of the game, they're just going to do away with the rulebook and include a clone of him/her in every box. The box will be a big bigger, and it will cost $150 instead of $60, but it'll be totally worth it. :)
Unfortunately, the cost of shipping his clones would be nearly as high as the cost of making those clones.

Not if you dehydrate them and add a 'just add water' sticker to the package.

Grand Lodge

Firedale2002 wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Doug Maynard wrote:
I've learned that Hawkmoon is every PACG player's best friend on these boards. I hear in the next printing of the game, they're just going to do away with the rulebook and include a clone of him/her in every box. The box will be a bit bigger, and it will cost $150 instead of $60, but it'll be totally worth it. :)
Unfortunately, the cost of shipping his clones would be nearly as high as the cost of making those clones.
Not if you dehydrate them and add a 'just add water' sticker to the package.

Ooh, like Marvin the Martian used in that Looney Tunes cartoon? Cool!


And there's no need for him to be full size. It will just cost you more to feed him. How about something along the lines of a Hawkmoon Lego minifig or action figure?

Sovereign Court

Pixel Hunter wrote:
And there's no need for him to be full size. It will just cost you more to feed him. How about something along the lines of a Hawkmoon Lego minifig or action figure?

http://brickstorms.com/products/hawkman-instructions-download

Have your own Hawkmoon today!!!

Sovereign Court

ok i thought i read somewhere that you can't use thieves tools on another players check even though the card doesn't clarify it, but I couldn't find it in the faq so am i missing something cause the way the card words it you should be able to defeat any barrier not even in your location just like a blessing can be played from anywhere. was the wording corrected?

also is amulet of life really supposed to be basic? i also couldn't find that in the faq


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
lastknightleft wrote:

ok i thought i read somewhere that you can't use thieves tools on another players check even though the card doesn't clarify it, but I couldn't find it in the faq so am i missing something cause the way the card words it you should be able to defeat any barrier not even in your location just like a blessing can be played from anywhere. was the wording corrected?

also is amulet of life really supposed to be basic? i also couldn't find that in the faq

I don't have the rules in front of me, but here's how I understand it:

Only the player who encounters a card can defeat, acquire, or evade it. Therefore, other players cannot play cards that 'defeat' a barrier/monster/etc. because they are not the one who encountered it, and therefore cannot defeat it.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

That is correct. Only the player that encounters a card may defeat, acquire, or evade it.

Rulebook v3 p22 wrote:
No One Else Can Take Your Turn for You. Whenever you encounter a card or make a check, you—and only you—must resolve it. No other character can evade it, defeat it, acquire it, close it, decide what to do with it, or fail at doing any of those things. If Sajan encounters a monster, Merisiel can’t evade it for him. If Kyra encounters a Ghoul, Seoni can’t attempt the check to defeat it. If Amiri encounters a Battered Chest, Lini cannot use Thieves’ Tools against it. If Valeros encounters a Spyglass, Harsk can’t attempt the check to acquire it. If Ezren defeats a henchman at the Sandpoint Cathedral, Seelah can’t discard a blessing to close the location. If the game tells you to do something, you have to do it.

See this post from Vic for more.

And Amulet of Life is correct as printed.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Card Game / Rules Questions and Gameplay Discussion / just trying to understand some encounter stuff. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Questions and Gameplay Discussion