Inner sea Gods, Evangelist Prestige class


Lost Omens Products

Grand Lodge

Aligned Class (Ex)::
Evangelists come from many
different backgrounds, and they show an unusual range of
diversity. At 2nd level, the evangelist must choose a class
she belonged to before adding the prestige class to be her
aligned class. She gains all the class features for this class,
essentially adding every evangelist level beyond 1st to her
aligned class to determine what class features she gains.
She still retains the Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saving
throw bonuses, and skill ranks of the prestige class, but
gains all other class features of her aligned class as well as
those of the evangelist prestige class.

the chosen class can it be a prestige class?


Doubtful. Which prestige class were you thinking?

Scarab Sages

Yes it can.

The definition of class includes prestige classes.

The current debate is on using Evangelist to extend prestige classes beyond 10th level. Looks like the answer is no, baring DM fiat.


I dont think so

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Why wouldn't it?

Scarab Sages

Heaggles wrote:

I dont think so

Core Rules wrote:
Character Level: The total level of the character, which is the sum of all class levels held by that character.

Now: do you want to put forth the argument that prestige class =/= class?

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

I would say it absolutely does apply to PrCs per the RAW. It definitely shouldn't progress them beyond 10th level (as Pathfinder doesn't actually have a solid rules set for progressing classes beyond their listed caps, particularly Prestige Classes), but it does progress them. I, personally, would not allow it in a home game, because I think the ability to advance one Prestige class while getting all of the goodies from another is just too strong, but that's a call I'm making as a GM in my home games, not a decision supported by the RAW.


Ssalarn wrote:
I would say it absolutely does apply to PrCs per the RAW. It definitely shouldn't progress them beyond 10th level (as Pathfinder doesn't actually have a solid rules set for progressing classes beyond their listed caps, particularly Prestige Classes), but it does progress them. I, personally, would not allow it in a home game, because I think the ability to advance one Prestige class while getting all of the goodies from another is just too strong, but that's a call I'm making as a GM in my home games, not a decision supported by the RAW.

They have no caps. The charts just stop at 20. In the going beyond 20th level in the gamemastering chapter of the CRB it lays out that you keep extrapolating the next set of values off the existing patterns in those charts. The same is true for prestige classes. Just because they stop at level 10 doesn't mean that's a cap. You just gain no new class abilities.


This would make a great FAQ.

Personally I just think it was something the designer overlooked.

Contributor

John Kretzer wrote:

This would make a great FAQ.

Personally I just think it was something the designer overlooked.

Perhaps, but the fact remains that allowing Evangelist to stack with Prestige Classes allows for some incredibly flavorful character builds. For example, being an Assassin who is the divine servant of Norgorber.


CRB wrote:
Class: Classes represent chosen professions taken by characters and some other creatures. Classes give a host of bonuses and allow characters to take actions that they otherwise could not, such as casting spells or changing shape. As a creature gains levels in a given class, it gains new, more powerful abilities. Most PCs gain levels in the core classes or prestige classes, since these are the most powerful. Most NPCs gain levels in NPC classes, which are less powerful (see Creating NPCs).

Per this definition in the CRB, class means either core class, prestige class, or NPC class.


Alexander Augunas wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:

This would make a great FAQ.

Personally I just think it was something the designer overlooked.

Perhaps, but the fact remains that allowing Evangelist to stack with Prestige Classes allows for some incredibly flavorful character builds. For example, being an Assassin who is the divine servant of Norgorber.

Personally I don't think I would have a problem with it. What you get from Evangelist in the grand scheme of things is rather very minor.


If im being honest, i feel like allowing evangelist to progress another prc(to its maximum level, i dont believe for a second in that mystic theurge 11th level stuff) is, if anything, less problematic thab it stacking with a base class. It does grant some nice extra incentive to prc users.


I can't really see much of an issue with Evangelists taking a PrC as their aligned class. PrCs do not have the same power level they once did. delaying the features you get from the PrC more than balances taking Evangelist to advance a PrC. In fact, many PrCs that considered weak are often partially because of getting their features too slowly. If Aligned Class starts getting the opportunities to level the PrC past it's max amount of levels (usually 10, but there are others, like sphere walker, that go to 5, etc), the solutions are pretty simple, just use the guidelines for past 20 leveling in the CRB or simply say there's no further benefit.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / Lost Omens Products / Inner sea Gods, Evangelist Prestige class All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Lost Omens Products