Using Huge sized Wand of Inflict Wounds as reach weapon


Rules Questions


I mean its ridiculous, but since wand is not a weapon you can use it as improvised. Since it look like spear can one cast from it and then jab with the end as touch attack? From what i know nowere in the rules it says that can touch with wand instead of hand, but:

Quote:
To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for non-humanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area.

Shadow Lodge

so basically you want to wield a wand that is the size of a magic staff. so get a staff.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

If you're using it as a wand, you have no reach (beyond 5') because it's not a reach weapon. If you're using it as an improvised weapon, you're not using it as a wand, i.e. you don't get to cast the spell. Instead, you'd use stats for something of similar size and shape, such as a Medium quarterstaff.

However, as per RAW, wands are always (roughly) the same size regardless of the creator's size:

"Physical Description: A wand is 6 to 12 inches long, 1/4 inch thick, and weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone, metal, or even crystal. A typical wand has Armor Class 7, 5 hit points, hardness 5, and a break DC of 16."

So as per RAW, there are no Huge wands.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

A wand is not a reach weapon, so it doesn't become one as it gets larger. You seem to be treating a Medium creature's wand as a light weapon, which I think is right. A Huge creature's version would then be a two-handed weapon, most similar to a quarterstaff or greatclub. A Gargantuan wand would be too large for a human to wield (like a fence post).

You could ask your GM if you can enchant a masterwork 10-foot pole as a wand.


Even if it would work (as others stated that's at least problematic) you would attack with it at -8 (-4 improvised, 2x-2 for wrong size) so hitting something would be hard.


Another thing is that reach is based on the wielder's size not the size of the creature the weapon was made for, so if you are a medium sized creature with a large weapon your reach is still 5 ft.


Hmm, so it seems improvised weapons can not possibly get special properties (like "reach" "brace" or "trip") by RAW ?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DarkPhoenixx wrote:
Hmm, so it seems improvised weapons can not possibly get special properties (like "reach" "brace" or "trip") by RAW ?

No. Those are properties tied to actual weapons, not something you can just add on by saying it is improvised and appying a -4 penalty. An improvised weapon is not an actual weapon. It is just used as one.

Weapons in the game are things designed to harm people not random items that can hurt people.

Grand Lodge

DarkPhoenixx wrote:
Hmm, so it seems improvised weapons can not possibly get special properties (like "reach" "brace" or "trip") by RAW ?

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion from anything said in this thread. The "Equipment" chapter doesn't say whether an improvised weapon can have special qualities appropriate to its size and potential use, so a GM could rule that a particular item does.

A wand is not of an appropriate size or shape to have the reach special quality.

The Exchange

I see no reason the Craft Wand feat couldn't be used to enchant a differently shaped or sized object - after all, there's nothing (aside from Freudian imagery) particularly special about a rod shape that's 6 to 12 inches long. But it does open the door to a certain potential for silliness.

Next we'll have somebody swinging his viper familiar by the head to transmit a shared touch spell through the tip of its tail. People sure love reach!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's not the same flavor you're looking for but the spell 'spectral hand' or the feat 'lunge' might help you accomplish it, mechanically.

It has been brought up many times before that the reach quality (or lack of) is static to the weapon / weapon-like object. So a tiny sized longspear can strike foes at greater reach than a huge sized greatsword, given the same wielder. Ta-da!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Folks are getting distracted by a bit of a false assumption.

You do not use the wand to deliver the spell.
You use the wand to cast the spell.... you still have to touch them in the normal manner for delivering touch spells (which for the most part, does not include using reach weapons)

Doesn't matter how big the wand is, or if you've made a wand out of a polearm.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Lincoln Hills wrote:

I see no reason the Craft Wand feat couldn't be used to enchant a differently shaped or sized object - after all, there's nothing (aside from Freudian imagery) particularly special about a rod shape that's 6 to 12 inches long. But it does open the door to a certain potential for silliness.

Next we'll have somebody swinging his viper familiar by the head to transmit a shared touch spell through the tip of its tail. People sure love reach!

True that! The rules were mostly written with Medium and Small creatures in mind, so if a character wants to craft a bigger or smaller wand, the GM can houserule/handwave the restriction into oblivion.

But of course, regardless, Huge wands would still not be reach weapons as has been pointed out.

The Exchange

Indeed. Good call, EvilMinion!


EvilMinion wrote:

Folks are getting distracted by a bit of a false assumption.

You do not use the wand to deliver the spell.
You use the wand to cast the spell.... you still have to touch them in the normal manner for delivering touch spells (which for the most part, does not include using reach weapons)

Doesn't matter how big the wand is, or if you've made a wand out of a polearm.

This.

Given the above, let's try an alternate example. The wand is now a wand of shocking grasp, and the wielder is a magus with the spellstrike class ability. Could the magus activate the wand, then deliver the charge treating the wand as an improvised weapon?


Uhhmmm... wandweapon longspear?

Maybe one could stack a spell storing weapon and weaponwand to hit with two spells? Could be fun. :)

Wait... weaponwand doesn't specify melee. Would it work on a bow? On a spell storing bow?


Te'Shen wrote:

Uhhmmm... wandweapon longspear?

Maybe one could stack a spell storing weapon and weaponwand to hit with two spells? Could be fun. :)

Wait... weaponwand doesn't specify melee. Would it work on a bow? On a spell storing bow?

Awesome, this spell is just what i wanted.

Dark Archive

I need to look up this stuff about attacking with a wand. Do we really need two hands to attack with a wand? One to activate the wand and another free hand to attack? I am Hoping that is not right.


Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
Raymond Lambert wrote:
I need to look up this stuff about attacking with a wand. Do we really need two hands to attack with a wand? One to activate the wand and another free hand to attack? I am Hoping that is not right.

Depends on the spell and your DMs house rules.

If you're casting something like Produce Flame, you need your other hand free for the spell effect to appear in.

A common house rule is that when using something like a wand of cure light wounds that the wand user touches the target with the wand, but that's not specified in the rules.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Using Huge sized Wand of Inflict Wounds as reach weapon All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.