Let the Cards tell you their stories


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game General Discussion

Dark Archive

Pg 22 of the rulebook, reminds us all; "Don’t force the cards to fit your story; let the cards tell you their stories."

In another thread on scenario / flavor text it came up as to stories told from the cards so thought I would start a new thread.

I'll start with a quick one. My current adventure group of my kids and I, playing Valeros, Harsk, Lini, and Amiri were working our way through the Burnt Offernings Scenario and Amiri managed to come across a Bunyip in the General Store. We came to the conclusion that the store owner must have had a small Bunyip in an aquarium that had just outgrown that home...


That's a great take on it. I take things from a less literal viewpoint. In our case the general store owner tells us the stuff we asked for hasn't arrived. The ship meant to deliver the goods won't approach because its sailors spotted a bunyip, which they took as a bad omen. If we wanted our stuff, we needed to take care of the bunyip.


Wow, both of these are pretty interesting takes on the same occurrence.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I envision it as this:

General Store Owner: "Welcome to my store. Be sure to check out all our goods."
Player: "Thanks, I will."
General Store Owner: (As player reaches for an item on the shelf.) "Oh, and did I mention this store is built over top of an ancient lake that has dark, evil monsters living in it?"
Player: "Wha..." (Bunyip crashes up through floor boards interrupting player.)
General Store Owner: "Hey, when you are done with that Bunyip, if clean up that mess it made, you are welcome to keep looking through that aisle." (i.e. explore again).


I need to work a little on my DM-ing skills. Speaking of which, do all of you find that you are the DM of the group, and explain encounters? I have started doing that a little more in my group, which is really adding to the flavor.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

We don't actually bother. We just get caught up in playing. The most we'll do is go "Oh man! An enchanter!" So for us it is much more of just a card game than an RPG. We feel the RPG-ness of it. But on the "card game/RPG" spectrum we are must closer to the card game end.

Not that I wouldn't like a bit more story. I've love a "story book" I could download for $5 to $10 that would give me some more info about what led to the scenario and who the villain is when i encounter him.


Erixian wrote:
I need to work a little on my DM-ing skills. Speaking of which, do all of you find that you are the DM of the group, and explain encounters? I have started doing that a little more in my group, which is really adding to the flavor.

I am the DM for our RPG group and I am the owner of the card game so I think there is a bit of an overlap, sure.

I am also the only one who knows the ROTRL story from the RPG so I do often end up explaining certain bits or grabbing the AP books off the shelf at particularly exciting moments (to show off Nualia's womb scars for instance). But I wouldn't say I 'DM' the game in the usual sense.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
KidDangerous wrote:
Erixian wrote:
I need to work a little on my DM-ing skills. Speaking of which, do all of you find that you are the DM of the group, and explain encounters? I have started doing that a little more in my group, which is really adding to the flavor.

I am the DM for our RPG group and I am the owner of the card game so I think there is a bit of an overlap, sure.

I am also the only one who knows the ROTRL story from the RPG so I do often end up explaining certain bits or grabbing the AP books off the shelf at particularly exciting moments (to show off Nualia's womb scars for instance). But I wouldn't say I 'DM' the game in the usual sense.

Yeah, see, that is the problem for us. None of us have ever played RotR the RPG. So no one has the book or anything. One guy has the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and Bestiaries. He thinks he might have played RotR a long time ago but isn't sure. And he's the only guy in the group that has played an RPG in the last 15 years. So we don't have anywhere to go for more info.

Dark Archive

Hawkmoon269 wrote:
KidDangerous wrote:
Erixian wrote:
I need to work a little on my DM-ing skills. Speaking of which, do all of you find that you are the DM of the group, and explain encounters? I have started doing that a little more in my group, which is really adding to the flavor.

I am the DM for our RPG group and I am the owner of the card game so I think there is a bit of an overlap, sure.

I am also the only one who knows the ROTRL story from the RPG so I do often end up explaining certain bits or grabbing the AP books off the shelf at particularly exciting moments (to show off Nualia's womb scars for instance). But I wouldn't say I 'DM' the game in the usual sense.
Yeah, see, that is the problem for us. None of us have ever played RotR the RPG. So no one has the book or anything. One guy has the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and Bestiaries. He thinks he might have played RotR a long time ago but isn't sure. And he's the only guy in the group that has played an RPG in the last 15 years. So we don't have anywhere to go for more info.

Our gaming group has just started the ROTR RPG path. Tonight they are trying the PACG with my kids and I. So far I'm typically playing with my three kids (11, 9, 7). The 11yo plays in our RPG group, but this has become an intro to RPG for the younger too. I throw story elements in (or sometimes they are starting to) so that we all kind of act as GM and really forge the story together.


What is the connection between TSUTO KAIJITSU the henchman and

AMEIKO KAIJITSU the ally in the game if there is any Thanks Kevin


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Kevin Moore 322 wrote:

What is the connection between TSUTO KAIJITSU the henchman and

AMEIKO KAIJITSU the ally in the game if there is any Thanks Kevin

They are siblings.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Hawkmoon269 wrote:
Kevin Moore 322 wrote:

What is the connection between TSUTO KAIJITSU the henchman and

AMEIKO KAIJITSU the ally in the game if there is any Thanks Kevin

They are siblings.

Half-siblings, really

Dark Archive

This last Friday we started a new campaign through Brigandoom, and in it our friendly yet grounded Paladin Sheelah had managed to acquire a pet dog. They visited the farmhouse and while exploring, Berry (the dog), didn't make it and sadly had to bury Berry at the farmhouse. We failed to complete the scenario, and on our second run Berry survived and is now a traveling companion of Amiri.

Sad note, failing the first scenario stunk though I blame it on random chance....we had Ezren, Sheelah, Amiri, and Kyra in the party. Kyra got stuck by a cave-in at the Prison for a while and that slowed progression down greatly.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Card Game / General Discussion / Let the Cards tell you their stories All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion