Character Creation During EE


Pathfinder Online

1 to 50 of 65 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Has any information been released for character creation during EE. Specifically I'm interested in what will happen to existing characters once new racial and role options become available.

At this stage my character concept revolves around playing a half-elf from the Mordant Spire who is interested in taking skills as both a Wizard and a Druid.

Would I have to create an Elf and then be given the option of changing it to a half elf, or will I need to create a new character once that race becomes available.

Also if I want to have Druid skills and abilities should I choose cleric and then swap or will I either need to start fresh or just add those skills onto my existing character.

Thanks for any and all help

Goblin Squad Member

For the races, I think I remember reading that you'll have an option to change to that race. I don't recall anything about classes. Most likely you'll just be adding those skills in.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

@Ravening

Skills do not reset or transfer, to my knowledge. I think it was in a blog or post somewhere (here let me try this out... casts summon Nihimon I: heh)

I think it is just when they open a new skill tree you can start training with it. So you keep the skills you had before and everyone starts on an equal base for the new ones. This is not exactly the most desireable outcome for us EE types, but I find it perfectly acceptable. We knew we weren't getting the "full product" when we signed up, and this is just a facet. I'm just glad we can hop in and help make the game.

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Some sort of standard answer might be needed in a faq when closer to EE and this question multiplies more than it has done already.

There's a few clues though nothing standard in these responses from the devs:

roles/classes:

I will say we're explicitly not going to try and make future development backwards compatible with how people have approximated various classes from the tabletop game.

We just cannot make that kind of commitment. If we open that door, every time we add a new feature that doesn't exactly match people's expectations on how something would or should work, we'll face a tsunami of people wanting respecs, XP refunds, and monetary refunds. It always ends up with bad feelings all around.

If you want to play a class of some kind and that role is not implemented in the game, you should either wait to make that character, or expect that when the role is added (if it is ever added) it will likely not work like you imagined it would. That way you won't have to confront the difference between your expectations and the reality.

Frankly, I think it is likely that crowdforging will move us away from implementing roles outside the core book. We could add generalized features and abilities that many characters could potentially use, or we could make something very specialized that only a few would use. The burden will be on the community to convince a lot of other people to support their niche at the expense of stuff more broadly useable, and that will be a tough pitch.

Importantly, all the martial classes already have a decent amount of overlap between their keywords for implements. That is, a Fighter using a Rogue Kit is already better at it than he would be using a Spellbook. So, like in tabletop, it's really the caster/caster and caster/martial multiclasses that need help.

Wizards and Sorcerers should have a lot of crossover on their cantrips for arcane weapons (and I believe we've set it up so those crossover abilities key off of both Int and Cha) and a few other features. They'll have different sets of specific role feats, for which there will not be a lot of overlap (but there might be some for feats that make sense for any arcane user but not for martial characters).

It's uncertain at this time how much overlap Bards will have with Wizards and Sorcerers. In tabletop, they don't use attack cantrips and bloodline/school attacks the way primary arcane casters do, so I suspect we'll focus them more on picking up cool bard feats that can go on martial weapons than on using wands and staves.

And on prestige classes

And on race change:

race:
You will be able to change any character created before a core race is added to that core race when it is added. You can make this change once per character. There will likely be a sunset provision which means that there will be a window for making the change; it will not be something you can wait 5 years and then do.

And similarly,

No non-core races will get a free change. The only change is, per character, one time, you can change from a race already in the game to a core race added to the game after you created that character. And that option will be sunset.

It's obviously still a bit nebulous and pushed off into the future and also no specific reference to any particular role provided. More generalities.

Druids seem to fall into a similar category to Monks ie a more divergent concept driving them (eg martial-arts animations for Monks and Druids if they have a pet system or wild shape similarly). Hope that helps, in the meantime before the devs have a standard answer provided.

Goblin Squad Member

BrotherZael wrote:

@Ravening

Skills do not reset or transfer, to my knowledge. I think it was in a blog or post somewhere (here let me try this out... casts summon Nihimon I: heh)

I think it is just when they open a new skill tree you can start training with it. So you keep the skills you had before and everyone starts on an equal base for the new ones. This is not exactly the most desireable outcome for us EE types, but I find it perfectly acceptable. We knew we weren't getting the "full product" when we signed up, and this is just a facet. I'm just glad we can hop in and help make the game.

In most MMO's that I have played, people do start on the same footing when new races or skill trees/role paths are added. It has been written that we will have a single chance to change a race with a "window" of opportunity to do so. It has been written that some skills might be useful in new role paths, but that some may not.

I am sure that I will be corrected if I have that wrong.

Goblin Squad Member

Races can be changed to another core race once, yes (as AvenaOats' post shows)

Specifically Skill trees... not so much.

Goblin Squad Member

BrotherZael wrote:
Races can be changed to another core race once, yes (as AvenaOats' post shows)

It's actually "from" another Core Race.


so my zen archer should I go ranger or monk?

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BrotherZael wrote:

@Ravening

Skills do not reset or transfer, to my knowledge. I think it was in a blog or post somewhere (here let me try this out... casts summon Nihimon I: heh)

IT WORKED!!!

0.0

Goblin Squad Member

monk. Zen is wis based, and monks are sexc anyways.

Goblin Squad Member

Dazyk wrote:
BrotherZael wrote:

@Ravening

Skills do not reset or transfer, to my knowledge. I think it was in a blog or post somewhere (here let me try this out... casts summon Nihimon I: heh)

IT WORKED!!!

0.0

It mostly worked, AvenaOats picked up the slack :)

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nihimon wrote:
Dazyk wrote:
BrotherZael wrote:

@Ravening

Skills do not reset or transfer, to my knowledge. I think it was in a blog or post somewhere (here let me try this out... casts summon Nihimon I: heh)

IT WORKED!!!

0.0

It mostly worked, AvenaOats picked up the slack :)

But you still came. You. Still. Came.

...Magic....

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

just live in the woods until the skill tree for your class 'grows' ?

Goblin Squad Member

Dazyk wrote:
Nihimon wrote:
Dazyk wrote:
BrotherZael wrote:

@Ravening

Skills do not reset or transfer, to my knowledge. I think it was in a blog or post somewhere (here let me try this out... casts summon Nihimon I: heh)

IT WORKED!!!

0.0

It mostly worked, AvenaOats picked up the slack :)

But you still came. You. Still. Came.

...Magic....

:)

Goblin Squad Member

Bows

I'll admit I didn't expect it to work, but I am glad it did. Apparently nihimon is able to be called by everyone.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BrotherZael wrote:
Apparently nihimon is able to be called by everyone.

Call me, call me any- any-time, but please remember to Capitalize my Name :)

Goblin Squad Member

Nihimon wrote:
BrotherZael wrote:
Apparently nihimon is able to be called by everyone.

Call me, call me any- any-time, but please remember to Capitalize my Name :)

A lesser Man would be annoyed that "the spell" was public knowledge. :)

Goblin Squad Member

would it surprise you to learn that I intentionally leave off the caps in peoples names sometimes to mess with them?

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BrotherZael wrote:
would it surprise you to learn that I intentionally leave off the caps in peoples names sometimes to mess with them?

Nope.


BrotherZael wrote:
would it surprise you to learn that I intentionally leave off the caps in peoples names sometimes to mess with them?

Don't tick him off. And quick, before he goes, see if he'll grant you three wishes.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for all the help it's much clearer now. I can choose Elf for my initial race then change to Half-Elf once its released.

Pinosaur wrote:
just live in the woods until the skill tree for your class 'grows' ?

In relation to the skills I figured I'd have to invest in skills until Druid becomes available. So as Pinosaur I'll invest in Wizard skills and other skills that will fit in with my character concept.

Thank you everyone for clearing this up for me and thank you brother Zael for summoning the oracle of quotes and knowledge.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

no problem. I can also teach you "summon wall of text II" if you'd like?

Goblin Squad Member

Pinosaur wrote:
just live in the woods until the skill tree for your class 'grows' ?

It's hard to be a woodland druid without a tree of your own.

Then again, EE druids will be there from the planting the seed to seeing the skill tree grow tall and strong, and guarding and nurturing it along the way. What could be more druidy than that?

Goblin Squad Member

3 people marked this as a favorite.
BrotherZael wrote:
no problem. I can also teach you "summon wall of text II" if you'd like?

Did someone mention my name?

Oh here's one: A Buddhist monk approaches a hot dog stand and says 'make me one with everything'.

Goblin Squad Member

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Being wrote:
A Buddhist monk approaches a hot dog stand and says 'make me one with everything'.

On a slightly related note, I heard a story the other day that will be very interesting to those who are, like me, fascinated by language.

A professor was explaining double-negatives to his class and remarked that in some languages, such as English, a double-negative actually conveyed the meaning of a positive. In other languages, such as Russian, a double-negative still conveyed the meaning of a negative. But there were no languages in which a double-positive conveyed the meaning of a negative.

A student in the back replied "yeah, right".

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hmm. Isn't that just sarcasm though? A sarcastic tone on any positive will convey a negative ('sure it will'). The phrase, 'yeah, right' used 'straight' is a positive, it's just that we tend to use it sarcastically nowadays.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nihimon wrote:

A professor was explaining double-negatives to his class and remarked that in some languages, such as English, a double-negative actually conveyed the meaning of a positive. In other languages, such as Russian, a double-negative still conveyed the meaning of a negative. But there were no languages in which a double-positive conveyed the meaning of a negative.

A student in the back replied "yeah, right".

I chuckled. :)

Goblin Squad Member

Should we count sarcasm, or attitude, then a part of speech?

Goblin Squad Member

Nihimon wrote:
Being wrote:
A Buddhist monk approaches a hot dog stand and says 'make me one with everything'.

On a slightly related note, I heard a story the other day that will be very interesting to those who are, like me, fascinated by language.

A professor was explaining double-negatives to his class and remarked that in some languages, such as English, a double-negative actually conveyed the meaning of a positive. In other languages, such as Russian, a double-negative still conveyed the meaning of a negative. But there were no languages in which a double-positive conveyed the meaning of a negative.

A student in the back replied "yeah, right".

LOL, I saw the on Facebook.

Goblin Squad Member

T7V Avari wrote:
Nihimon wrote:
Being wrote:
A Buddhist monk approaches a hot dog stand and says 'make me one with everything'.

On a slightly related note, I heard a story the other day that will be very interesting to those who are, like me, fascinated by language.

A professor was explaining double-negatives to his class and remarked that in some languages, such as English, a double-negative actually conveyed the meaning of a positive. In other languages, such as Russian, a double-negative still conveyed the meaning of a negative. But there were no languages in which a double-positive conveyed the meaning of a negative.

A student in the back replied "yeah, right".

LOL, I saw the on Facebook.

I confess I did not make it up.

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

What's the difference between a comma and cheetah?

Goblin Squad Member

Drakhan Valane wrote:
What's the difference between a comma and cheetah?

I'll bite... What is the difference between a comma and a cheetah?

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drakhan Valane wrote:
One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.

-.-

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Nihimon wrote:
Drakhan Valane wrote:
One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.

-.-

=^.^=

Scarab Sages

Sadurian wrote:
Hmm. Isn't that just sarcasm though? A sarcastic tone on any positive will convey a negative ('sure it will'). The phrase, 'yeah, right' used 'straight' is a positive, it's just that we tend to use it sarcastically nowadays.

You'll also notice that to convey that sarcasm in text form, you had to use a double positive (sure, it will) to do so. Perhaps the double positive itself forms the negative and we call that sarcasm?

Maybe the sarcastic tone is even a subconscious effort to make the meaning of the double positive apparent to those we're communicating with.

Yeah, right, sure...because that's possible, isn't it?

Goblin Squad Member

Drakhan Valane wrote:
One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.

brutal. Absolutely brutal.

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

Sarcasm can easily make a single positive into a negative.

Goblin Squad Member

Drakhan Valane wrote:
Nihimon wrote:
Drakhan Valane wrote:
One is a pause at the end of a clause, the other has claws at the end of its paws.

-.-

=^.^=

Haha! I like it!

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Let's get back on Topic of Character Creation During EE please

Scarab Sages

I'm not to the point of creating a character, but I would like feedback on how character ideas I have may fit into the structure of PFO's EE.

My main is probably going to be Zeraius, a lawful-good Cleric/Fighter with a big sword that is likely to be a part of a religious organization and work to help the poor and needy, protecting caravans and settlements as per the organization or guild's orders.

My secondary idea is based off of the character Kios, who I use every once in a while while trying to bring stories I come up with together into one cohesive plot. He's an early evolution of man who finds he cannot age at some point and becomes afraid of death, building upon experiences he's had to strengthen his resolve. To mirror this, I thought an Elven (or perhaps just human) Monk/Bard would be most fitting, though that is a build which would mean either equally distributed or extreme stats.

Goblin Squad Member

For the first, highly viable. Again, see TEO or at least look into Brighthaven initially.

For the second, sounds entirely plausible. Checkout Kobold's company (bards, newspapers, etc.) or T7V.

if you cannot find any specific group, I guess Pax works :I or you can join the Viridian Circle... but that seems kind of not what you want at all xD.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kios wrote:
Yeah, right, sure...because that's possible, isn't it?

Like that's going to ever happen, right?

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Being wrote:
BrotherZael wrote:
no problem. I can also teach you "summon wall of text II" if you'd like?

Did someone mention my name?

Oh here's one: A Buddhist monk approaches a hot dog stand and says 'make me one with everything'.

A Bluddhist monk approaches a hot dog stand and demands 30% of the hot dogs with everything, or risk being ganked!!

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

A Teoist monk steps in upon seeing the injustice perpetrated against the innocent vendor and defends her!

Goblin Squad Member

Ravening wrote:
Also if I want to have Druid skills and abilities should I choose cleric and then swap or will I either need to start fresh or just add those skills onto my existing character.

As an addendum to this last part:

if you want to become a druid once those skills are released, something you can do in the meantime is train up the stats which druids use so that once it is released you can train druid more quickly. For instance, you could train perception, heal skill (if that's a thing), and cleric powers, which would all increase your Wisdom score. That would in turn make further Wisdom training quicker.

Of course, as your concept is a little different as a Wizard/Druid, I'd say you should just fill out the Wizard part first and add druid later, as you concluded yourself. :)

It all just depends on how exactly you want to play your character.

Goblin Squad Member

My aim is to push Cleric (Animal and Plant Domain if we have that option) abilities, tie in some Wizardry, and dip into Rogue for some interesting options.

The alternative is to not start the primary character concept until the Witch and Druid are released. I see no advantage to doing this, although perhaps the bonus for dedicated 'class' might be worth aiming for if I were to look at either Druid or Witch in isolation.

We don't know how the abilities will pan out, of course, so it is possible that I could just about manage to keep it all on course for a single 'class' bonus after all.

CEO, Goblinworks

9 people marked this as a favorite.

The only advantage to waiting for a role to be added is that you may have the idea of a "pure" build for Roleplaying reasons that you don't want to sully. Otherwise you sacrifice nothing by playing as soon as you can, and just starting down the path you want to play when it is added to the game with an older, more experienced character that already does other things.

Goblin Squad Member

Ryan Dancey wrote:
The only advantage to waiting for a role to be added is that you may have the idea of a "pure" build for Roleplaying reasons that you don't want to sully. Otherwise you sacrifice nothing by playing as soon as you can, and just starting down the path you want to play when it is added to the game with an older, more experienced character that already does other things.

So what you're saying is that there won't be a way to "hold" your experience until a new role is released and then spend all the experience at once? (that idea has been forwarded a few times, and I'm not sure if it's been denied as possible yet)

I guess what I'm asking is how exactly experience is gained and spent.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pax Shane Gifford wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is how exactly experience is gained and spent.

Mu understanding is that XP are gained simply by time's passage, and one spends them only when one chooses. Unless there's a cap on XP storage, I expect one could hold onto a big slug until the right time.

1 to 50 of 65 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Digital Games / Pathfinder Online / Character Creation During EE All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.