pala-trolls


Website Feedback


The boards have been infested by new posters who seemingly all have morality issues with paladins. For some reason- much like the squirrels in the park despite the signs telling you not to- many posters can't stop feeding them. ("But they are sooo cute!!")

They are easy to spot. They have a new ID, they start a thread on something like paladins eating goblin babies- and that's their first thread ever, and they have maybe a handful of posts.

I report them, but?

I do like how some veteran posters are posting silliness instead of morality debates.

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Paladins eat goblin babies - Is there a special Licktoad sauce with that?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:

The boards have been infested by new posters who seemingly all have morality issues with paladins. For some reason- much like the squirrels in the park despite the signs telling you not to- many posters can't stop feeding them. ("But they are sooo cute!!")

They are easy to spot. They have a new ID, they start a thread on something like paladins eating goblin babies- and that's their first thread ever, and they have maybe a handful of posts.

I report them, but?

I do like how some veteran posters are posting silliness instead of morality debates.

If they are easy to spot, how about just ignoring them? If they are "trolls" than creating a thread to complain about them is pretty much feeding them, something you criticize others in doing.


What if it's a kobold baby?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*raises casting hand* Yez, vhat if it IZ a kobold baby? I am very curiouz about zhis anzwer.

Scarab Sages

IS that before it hatches from its shell or after? I think the answer differs


And if it's a kobold egg, rather than a kobold baby, do Erastil and Iomedae differ on whether it should be poached or scrambled?


pennywit wrote:
And if it's a kobold egg, rather than a kobold baby, do Erastil and Iomedae differ on whether it should be poached or scrambled?

Over-easy.


MMCJawa wrote:
DrDeth wrote:

The boards have been infested by new posters who seemingly all have morality issues with paladins. For some reason- much like the squirrels in the park despite the signs telling you not to- many posters can't stop feeding them. ("But they are sooo cute!!")

They are easy to spot. They have a new ID, they start a thread on something like paladins eating goblin babies- and that's their first thread ever, and they have maybe a handful of posts.

I report them, but?

I do like how some veteran posters are posting silliness instead of morality debates.

If they are easy to spot, how about just ignoring them? If they are "trolls" than creating a thread to complain about them is pretty much feeding them, something you criticize others in doing.

Yes, but you see, if one person ignore them, and 99 jump in and post, one person doing the right thing and ignoring doesn't do any good. Which is why i posted here for advice.


DrDeth wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
DrDeth wrote:

The boards have been infested by new posters who seemingly all have morality issues with paladins. For some reason- much like the squirrels in the park despite the signs telling you not to- many posters can't stop feeding them. ("But they are sooo cute!!")

They are easy to spot. They have a new ID, they start a thread on something like paladins eating goblin babies- and that's their first thread ever, and they have maybe a handful of posts.

I report them, but?

I do like how some veteran posters are posting silliness instead of morality debates.

If they are easy to spot, how about just ignoring them? If they are "trolls" than creating a thread to complain about them is pretty much feeding them, something you criticize others in doing.

Yes, but you see, if one person ignore them, and 99 jump in and post, one person doing the right thing and ignoring doesn't do any good. Which is why i posted here for advice.

Aaaah, but that one person will save themselves the stress, no? If you ignore them then you won't feel compelled to start threads complaining about what other folks seem to enjoy talking about. Then you can go back to telling folks about how the rules in print are perfect except for the ones you want changed.


BigDTBone wrote:
Then you can go back to telling folks about how the rules in print are perfect except for the ones you want changed.

I have never said or even implied the rules are perfect in any way shape or form. Better than the rest? yes. Company is really trying? Yes. Do I like the way Paizo treats it's customers? Yes.

But not perfect, no.

The corner exception for pole-arms is a example of a bad call, for example.

Digital Products Assistant

Removed a post. Personal jabs are not helpful. If you have concerns about specific posters trolling (or specific posters in general), the best way to communicate this is by utilizing the flagging system or emailing webmaster@paizo.com to explain the situation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:

The boards have been infested by new posters who seemingly all have morality issues with paladins. For some reason- much like the squirrels in the park despite the signs telling you not to- many posters can't stop feeding them. ("But they are sooo cute!!")

They are easy to spot. They have a new ID, they start a thread on something like paladins eating goblin babies- and that's their first thread ever, and they have maybe a handful of posts.

I report them, but?

I do like how some veteran posters are posting silliness instead of morality debates.

Why do you care? let people discuss whatever they want to discuss.

If the thread remain civil then there is zero reason to report it.

If you thing the topic is over talked or something then do not participate in it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't see why you care that they talk about it?

As long as they are not hijacking other threads not related to the subject matter, it should be fine. It's easy enough to avoid and I think really hasn't impacted Paizo or the board all that much.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because I have seen boards destroyed by trolls before.

It's like saying just because the graffiti isn't on my building I shouldn't care. I should care, because it's my community.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

where some see graffiti... others see street art. Not that i dont entirely disagree, but what are the boards for if not discusion? I dont pay attention to most the things people talk about, especially the 'hot' topics (by that i mean the ones that always seem to sow arguments) that doesnt mean i think they should go away. But thats my opinion of course...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not sure why people keep mistaking what Dr. Deth is talking about. Legitimate inquiries from newcomers, and "sock-puppets" starting controversial threads just to kindle angst are two very different things.

While it might not be possible for site users to definitively distinguish the two, an admin with access to IP logs could identify some of the less tech-savvy ways one might do this. Hence ye olde mantra to flag it or email the webmaster.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that DrDeth was a Paizo admin and would have access to that information... ... ... Maybe the lack of Paizo bling next to his user name confused me. If he's an admin and knows they are sock puppets then why bother with the this thread? Why not just delete them?

Hmmmm..... Maybe he is just heckling new comers and people interested in those topics?


man what


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Funny, I don't recall implying that Dr Deth would have any such clairvoyance. In fact, in re-reading my post I pretty much stated that users not only lacked such divinatory abilities, but should also flag or email about new threads that set off their Sense Motive BS-detector.


What are you looking at?

Sovereign Court

DrDeth wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
DrDeth wrote:

The boards have been infested by new posters who seemingly all have morality issues with paladins. For some reason- much like the squirrels in the park despite the signs telling you not to- many posters can't stop feeding them. ("But they are sooo cute!!")

They are easy to spot. They have a new ID, they start a thread on something like paladins eating goblin babies- and that's their first thread ever, and they have maybe a handful of posts.

I report them, but?

I do like how some veteran posters are posting silliness instead of morality debates.

If they are easy to spot, how about just ignoring them? If they are "trolls" than creating a thread to complain about them is pretty much feeding them, something you criticize others in doing.

Yes, but you see, if one person ignore them, and 99 jump in and post, one person doing the right thing and ignoring doesn't do any good. Which is why i posted here for advice.

Who cares if a thread goes on that you have no interest in?


Laithoron wrote:

Funny, I don't recall implying that Dr Deth would have any such clairvoyance. In fact, in re-reading my post I pretty much stated that users not only lacked such divinatory abilities, but should also flag or email about new threads that set off their Sense Motive BS-detector.

I do flag them. "I report them, but?"

Rarely is anything done about the flag. Thus, this thread in "website feedback". It's...(drumroll please)... feedback about the website.

My hope is that other posters may either also report or- maybe not open their 50# bag of Purina Troll Chow and start shoveling it in the cage.

Really, if it's a posters first post ever and it's about paladins and goblin babies etc, what's the chance of it being legit?


Pan wrote:


Who cares if a thread goes on that you have no interest in?

Because I have seen boards destroyed by trolls before.

It's like saying just because the graffiti isn't on my building I shouldn't care. I should care, because it's my community.


Maybe there isn't a problem with trolls but with the mechanics of the paladin? Just saying...

Sovereign Court

DrDeth wrote:
Pan wrote:


Who cares if a thread goes on that you have no interest in?

Because I have seen boards destroyed by trolls before.

It's like saying just because the graffiti isn't on my building I shouldn't care. I should care, because it's my community.

I think your fears are overstated. Paladin threads have been going on for years and the community is doing just fine.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
If they are easy to spot, how about just ignoring them? If they are "trolls" than creating a thread to complain about them is pretty much feeding them, something you criticize others in doing.
Yes, but you see, if one person ignore them, and 99 jump in and post, one person doing the right thing and ignoring doesn't do any good. Which is why i posted here for advice.

If this is what's going on, then I'd query whether the action of the one person is really "doing the right thing". I dont mean that it's wrong, but maybe the one person doesnt want to see yet another thread but the other 99 do (or just enjoy making fun of paladin threads).

It seems to me that this is ultimately about supply and demand - if there's no interest in the topic, the "troll's" thread will just disappear.

I dont have a lot to say about the issues, but it seems to me that there are a lot of regular community members who like arguing endlessly about alignment, paladins, caster-martial discrepancies, rogues, monks, roleplaying-vs-rollplaying, science-fantasy's place in Golarion,.... etcetera. To my mind, it doesnt really matter if someone starts a new thread just for kicks if some of the regulars then get involved - that shows there's something there for them, no matter what the motivation of the OP.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:

Because I have seen boards destroyed by trolls before.

Then stop using regular wooden boards. Maybe ironwood boards? Or use a greenwood board so that it will repair itself after the trolls are done with them.

Just be careful about the trolls taking the boards and using them as improvised clubs.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:

Because I have seen boards destroyed by trolls before.

It's like saying just because the graffiti isn't on my building I shouldn't care. I should care, because it's my community.

I think you are exagerating a lot, and a policy of locking thread just because there is a chance that the op is troling would be actually hurtful for the forum.

Scarab Sages

maybe we could get back to the topic... Im afraid trolls would be frightening paladins... imagine all those cool pally abilities mixed with that regeneration? I call no fair!

All joking aside, I do see your point doc, i just think that in itself is a slippery slope. It leads to people making judgements that could be wrong... and In modern society having an opinion, especially a strong one is often construed as an evil evil bad thing. I wish 'Laissez-faire' was the operating system the world worked under but its often not.

Liberty's Edge

When it's all said and done though one can ignore threads so many threads that I avoid. I still think posters if following the rules should post as they want to. I also play other RPGs as well. Some of those companies say they want to hear all kinds of feedback. When on reality they and their more hardcore loyal fans want to hear only praise and nothing else. Even she it's "constructive criticism" as they put it. I may not like everything Paizo does. I REALLY don't want this for to turn into one huge praise filled validation echo chamber.


What happens if someone casts Raise Thread on a thread complaining about paladin threads? Does the paladin fall?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Are the paladins stealing your milk without asking or something?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was looking forward to Paladin Trolls and some funky RP explanation.

This thread failed to deliver :(

Community / Forums / Paizo / Website Feedback / pala-trolls All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Website Feedback
Broken gameplay thread