Buying several "once per day" items


Rules Questions


Hello,

I was wondering if it was legal to buy several items that you can only use once per day.
I'm especially interested in using the Quick Runner's Shirt which seems stupidly powerful to set up charges for example.

Thanks in advance for answering ;)

Faskill


Why wouldnt it be?


I don't know, seems cheesy :p


There may be some inconvience in having to shange shorts after every battle. But aside from that i cannot se how it should be illegal.
Edit: shirt not shorts.


I think that is some kind of grey area. Because on the one hand you can say that the effect is some sort of special effect the item can cast on its bearer once per day, if you see it that way then it is possible and allowed to use it more than one time per day(thinking of you as the game master). But one the other hand most of those item need to be worn 24-hours before they can be used effeciently. You also think of them as item which give the user the ability to cause the wanted effect. In that case i would say that even if you do have more than one item of the same kind, that it would not work.

But as alway if you are not sure(and not the GM) ask your GM.
If you are the GM think about if it will destroy their fun playing the game because it is too over powered. If you think that you can still lead a game, without too many trouble caused by that item. Why not let them use it.


Is it technically legal? Yes.

Should a GM allow you to purchase and change out multiple quick runner shirts? HELL NO!

Having multiple of once per day items is generally reasonable, but certain items are just too powerful to allow it more than once per day, even if that limit is per item. The quick runner's shirt is one of them.

Now, if you had a once per day feather fall item, as a GM I wouldn't care if you changed that out after every fall. Though I don't think such an item exists.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

As a DM, I don't have any issue players purchasing multiples of the same item if that is how they want to spend their gold.

In the Jade Regent game we just finished half the party had multiple Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier. Once they use the ability to prevent a critical or a sneak attack, they would slip on another one. Hey, they would have used their gold on some other item so why not on this and they were extremely thematic to boot!

No rule against it and unless the DM vetoes it, go ahead!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Obligatory PFS note:
Just FYI, in Pathfinder Society, the Quick Runner's Shirt is (and always has been) banned.

Otherwise, I'm with Claxon.


As a side note, I added house rules to my games specifically to prevent this sort of thing.

Quote:
Non consumable (one time use) magical items take 1 minute to attune to you normally before you can use them. An item can only be unbonded from you after a 1 hour ritual followed by 8 hours of rest.

Dark Archive

I sometimes wonder if this was a goof they will not admit to in errata. I find it highly suspicious that it was almost if not instantly banned in PFS, same as 3 of the only 4 good items in the recent magical market place book. Even worse, I sometimes wonder if some of these items are released only to get power gamers to buy them and then take the carpet out from underneath them with errata or PFS ban.

I strongly believe this item should have had a requirement to be worn 24 hours before it gives you the chance to use it. Either that or they were giving a nice thing to the martial. Since martial cannot have nice things, I doubt that was the case, hahah!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Faskill wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if it was legal to buy several items that you can only use once per day.
I'm especially interested in using the Quick Runner's Shirt which seems stupidly powerful to set up charges for example.

Thanks in advance for answering ;)

Faskill

Legal is what's determined by your home GM, not the rulebook.

In my campaigns 1/day items that take a slot have to be worn for one sunrise and one sunset to attune to the user. If they are removed for longer than one hour, the attunement is broken and has to be done all over again. Also such items can only be attuned to one person at a time.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
LazarX wrote:
Faskill wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if it was legal to buy several items that you can only use once per day.
I'm especially interested in using the Quick Runner's Shirt which seems stupidly powerful to set up charges for example.

Thanks in advance for answering ;)

Faskill

Legal is what's determined by your home GM, not the rulebook.

In my campaigns 1/day items that take a slot have to be worn for one sunrise and one sunset to attune to the user. If they are removed for longer than one hour, the attunement is broken and has to be done all over again. Also such items can only be attuned to one person at a time.

True and not True LazarX, in that every DM has the final say in their game so what you say and do is true. However, if Faskill wanted a ruling that lines up with the rules, then there is no limit on how many once per day magic items you can own and possibly swap out as the day goes on and uses get used.

I actually think it works in the DM's favor sometimes. If the fighter wants to take the time to take off his armor, remove the shirt and put on a new one and then replace his armor, go ahead. I am rolling for random encounters during that portion of time and it would be a crime to be caught with your armor half off and useless.

So, the rules do allow it but any DM can prohibit it.

Note: I make no mention of PFS as the original post did not and I for one can care less what the PFS does or does not like...

Dark Archive

Out of curiosity, what action would it be to remove a shirt and put on a new one? I know that donning a chain shirt (armor) takes 1 minute. I have a feeling that donning a normal shirt is a 1 full-round action and most likely generates an attack of opportunity at the minimum.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Happler wrote:

Out of curiosity, what action would it be to remove a shirt and put on a new one? I know that donning a chain shirt (armor) takes 1 minute. I have a feeling that donning a normal shirt is a 1 full-round action and most likely generates an attack of opportunity at the minimum.

Given that the shirt is worn UNDER armor, that would mean that you'd have to take that off first.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Hendelbolaf wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Faskill wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if it was legal to buy several items that you can only use once per day.
I'm especially interested in using the Quick Runner's Shirt which seems stupidly powerful to set up charges for example.

Thanks in advance for answering ;)

Faskill

Legal is what's determined by your home GM, not the rulebook.

In my campaigns 1/day items that take a slot have to be worn for one sunrise and one sunset to attune to the user. If they are removed for longer than one hour, the attunement is broken and has to be done all over again. Also such items can only be attuned to one person at a time.

True and not True LazarX, in that every DM has the final say in their game so what you say and do is true. However, if Faskill wanted a ruling that lines up with the rules, then there is no limit on how many once per day magic items you can own and possibly swap out as the day goes on and uses get used.

I actually think it works in the DM's favor sometimes. If the fighter wants to take the time to take off his armor, remove the shirt and put on a new one and then replace his armor, go ahead. I am rolling for random encounters during that portion of time and it would be a crime to be caught with your armor half off and useless.

So, the rules do allow it but any DM can prohibit it.

Note: I make no mention of PFS as the original post did not and I for one can care less what the PFS does or does not like...

Rules don't allow anything. They're just text printed on a page until someone decides to enact and enforce them... In this case, that person is the Judge or Game master.

The rules weren't built under the assumption that you'd buy racks of the same item. Again, your GM's cheese tolerance will vary. Just because the rules allow you to cheese by RAW text does not mandate that the GM has to go along with it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I didn't disagree with you and one man's cheese is another man's gold so who are we to judge?

I would disagree with your idea that the rules "don't allow anything" as the rules do allow for things.

The rules allow for you to purchase magic items. A DM could chose not to allow for that and that is fine.

The rules do allow you to equip certain magic items in certain slots. A DM could chose not to allow those slots and that is fine.

The rules allow for a caster to learn a certain spell. A DM could chose not to allow them to cast that that spell and that is fine.

So, the rules do allow for things but as always, and I agree 100% with you on this, the DM can rule however he wants and the players are free to stay or go. Again, I am not arguing with you, but I think we may have a slightly different way at looking at rules and such.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Hendelbolaf wrote:

I didn't disagree with you and one man's cheese is another man's gold so who are we to judge?

I would disagree with your idea that the rules "don't allow anything" as the rules do allow for things.

The rules allow for you to purchase magic items. A DM could chose not to allow for that and that is fine.

The rules do allow you to equip certain magic items in certain slots. A DM could chose not to allow those slots and that is fine.

The rules allow for a caster to learn a certain spell. A DM could chose not to allow them to cast that that spell and that is fine.

So, the rules do allow for things but as always, and I agree 100% with you on this, the DM can rule however he wants and the players are free to stay or go. Again, I am not arguing with you, but I think we may have a slightly different way at looking at rules and such.

Yes we do. I look at rules as a toolbox. Which means they do nothing unless a DM desides to use them. Not every tool in a toolbox is appropriate for any given task. Some campaigns are quite fitting for Magic Marts, others would have the concept very inappropriate.


LazarX wrote:
The rules weren't built under the assumption that you'd buy racks of the same item.

Scrolls, wands, pearls of power, etc. It's clear the game was made with the assumption that some items would be bought in bulk. Your quibble is whether this specific item is one of those. But anway, why is it wrong to use something in a way besides what the designer expected? Are we obligated to only do things the designers thought of in advance?

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Buying several "once per day" items All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.