Inquisitor with Animal and Terrain Domains?


Rules Questions


10 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

Hopefully a simple question.

Can an Inquisitor take the animal or terrain domains that a druid has access to take?

Does it matter if the PC if for PFS or not? (I haven't decided where I will play it)


An inquisitor may take any domain/subdomain that their diety has access to. PFS is a different story as you'll have to look through the added resource list for what they deem legal for play.

Lantern Lodge

Revolving Door Alternate wrote:

Hopefully a simple question.

Can an Inquisitor take the animal or terrain domains that a druid has access to take?

Does it matter if the PC if for PFS or not? (I haven't decided where I will play it)

While you are restricted to the Domains and Inquisitions allowed by your deity (I don't believe any of them allow for the Druidic Animal/Terrain domains), you can speak to your GM (home games only, no PFS):

"With the GM’s approval, an inquisitor can be devoted to an ideal instead of a deity, selecting one domain to represent her personal inclination and abilities."


Gozreh has the Animal domain, so that would work


Gpzreh was the one I was planning on anyway.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I had to look at my Herolab(tm) file...

Sharish, my Nagaji Inquisitor has Aspu as a god, and took Scalykind as her domain. That is one that is more unusual than Animal.


Any nature focused pc may take animal and terrain domains. An inquisitor of gozreh does qualify.

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

The animal/terrain Domains are not legal for Inquisitors or Clerics in PFS, but I'd certainly allow it in a home game.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Huh? Where does it say that?

I just looked on the chart in the Core Rulebook, under Gozreh, and there it is, listed with the rest of them...

"Domains...

  • Air, Animal,Plant,Water,Weather"

Is there something in the guide that disallows it?


I can't speak for PFS. But here is what allows it for other games:

Quote:
Other nature-themed classes with access to domains may select an animal or terrain domain in place of a regular domain.


Nefreet wrote:
The animal/terrain Domains are not legal for Inquisitors or Clerics in PFS, ...

It would not surprise me, but do you have a source for that ruling?

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber
thaX wrote:

Huh? Where does it say that?

I just looked on the chart in the Core Rulebook, under Gozreh, and there it is, listed with the rest of them...

"Domains...

  • Air, Animal,Plant,Water,Weather"

Is there something in the guide that disallows it?

You're looking in the wrong book.

The animal/terrain Domains (not the "Animal Domain") are found in Ultimate Magic.

Lantern Lodge

thaX wrote:

Huh? Where does it say that?

I just looked on the chart in the Core Rulebook, under Gozreh, and there it is, listed with the rest of them...

"Domains...

  • Air, Animal,Plant,Water,Weather"

Is there something in the guide that disallows it?

We're not talking about the "Animal Domain", but rather the "Animal and Terrain Domains", which are:

Aquatic Domain
Arctic Domain
Badlands Domain
Cave Domain
Crocodile Domain
Desert Domain
Eagle Domain
Frog Domain
Jungle Domain
Monkey Domain
Mountain Domain
Panther Domain
Plains Domain
Serpent Domain
Swamp Domain
Vulture Domain
Wolf Domain

These are available to Druids. I don't think any deity actually gives any of these domains, but I could be wrong.

Lantern Lodge

Umbranus wrote:
Any nature focused pc may take animal and terrain domains. An inquisitor of gozreh does qualify.

I quoted the exact text above:

"With the GM’s approval, an inquisitor can be devoted to an ideal instead of a deity, selecting one domain to represent her personal inclination and abilities."

Specially calls out "GM's approval", so ask your GM. All the GMs I play with would probably allow it if you made a half-way decent case.


What you quoted, Captain, is from the Inquisitor. What I wrote was from the page about the animal and terrain domains.
I have to admit that I quoted the d20pfsrd in the hope that it is correct.
And according to what's written there it just depends on whether an Inquisitor of gozreh is a nature themed pc. And I'd say yes.


Revolving Door Alternate wrote:

Hopefully a simple question.

Can an Inquisitor take the animal or terrain domains that a druid has access to take?

Does it matter if the PC if for PFS or not? (I haven't decided where I will play it)

YES !

Familiars are cool as is tremor sense !


4 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

The ruling here is NOT dependent on the following line: ""With the GM’s approval, an inquisitor can be devoted to an ideal instead of a deity"

It is dependent on this line, associated with the various Animal Species/Terrain Domains:
"Other nature-themed classes with access to domains may select an animal or terrain domain in place of a regular domain."

The question then, is What is a nature-themed class?
Does a class deriving it's powers from worship of a nature-themed deity qualify you? How do you know what deities qualify?
Do you actually need to have other class abilities that count as "nature-themed"? What distinguishes those?
The above rule is applicable to PFS, but it isn't specific enough that it's 100% clear how to apply it.
But since the issue is just with the standard RAW functionality, it should be answered by Paizo's Rules FAQ team.

Hit FAQ, folks.


Quandary wrote:

...

The above rule is applicable to PFS, but it isn't specific enough that it's 100% clear how to apply it.
But since the issue is just with the standard RAW functionality, it should be answered by Paizo's Rules FAQ team.

Hit FAQ, folks.

Agreed. I originally posted here because I had been told it was specifically not allowed in PFS. I was attempting to confirm this specific PFS ruling but found there was not one. It is just murky enough that I don't want to chance it with my PC.

Sczarni

Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Revolving Door Alternate wrote:
I originally posted here because I had been told it was specifically not allowed in PFS. I was attempting to confirm this specific PFS ruling but found there was not one. It is just murky enough that I don't want to chance it with my PC.

There is no PFS-specific rule that explicitly states that Inquisitors may not choose an animal/terrain Domain, but Inquisitors in PFS cannot select them none-the-less.

Inquisitors in PFS must choose a deity, and no deities grant access to the animal/terrain Domains found in Ultimate Magic.

You wouldn't be "chancing it", you'd be intentionally making an illegal character. It's that simple.

Lantern Lodge

Quandary wrote:
The ruling here is NOT dependent on the following line: ""With the GM’s approval, an inquisitor can be devoted to an ideal instead of a deity"

You can also argue about the number of angels that fit on the head of a needle too, but in the end, it's GM's approval. As YOU pointed out "nature-themed" class is not defined, so in the end, your GM is going to have to agree with your choice. when you try to argue that an Inquisitor is a nature-themed class.

If you're in a home game and your GM approves, you are golden.

If you're playing PFS, good luck with table variation.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nefreet wrote:
Inquisitors in PFS must choose a deity, and no deities grant access to the animal/terrain Domains found in Ultimate Magic.

The Domains associated with each Deity normally define Domain access for Clerics and Inquisitors.

"Other nature-themed classes with access to domains may select an animal or terrain domain in place of a regular domain."

This rule allows an additional legal set of Domain choices for A) classes with Domains B) that count as nature-themed.
Assuming both of those are fulfilled, then said rule allows legal access to these Domains.

The question is, what is the definition of "nature-themed class"?
The rule has no reason to exist if there is no such possible class outside of Druid. Clearly the rule forsees some other class or classes as qualifying.
So what classes or class options is it implicating?
If the Deity has any normal Druid Domains does that count? If the fluff talks about wild animals, plants, or weather?
If the Class has Survival or Know(Nature) as Class Skills? If they have Wild Empathy?

The rule in question has to mean SOMETHING, saying it has the same effect as if no such line existed is ridiculous.


Captain Zoom wrote:
If you're playing PFS, good luck with table variation.

Yes, that's exactly what the OP doesn't want to deal with and thus wants to have a concrete answer for PFS purposes.

It seems reasonable to believe that there IS an actual specific intent behind the RAW wording, so learning that is one outcome of this thread.
If there is no actual intent for what that rule concretely means,
which is pretty strange given it doesn't just say "GMs may allow other classes per fiat" as several other cases of RAW explicitly treat GM fiat issues,
then that leaves it an issue for PFS,
because the rule does exist, so they can make the fiat ruling re: what it concretely means for the sake of table consistency.


Nefreet wrote:
Revolving Door Alternate wrote:
I originally posted here because I had been told it was specifically not allowed in PFS. I was attempting to confirm this specific PFS ruling but found there was not one. It is just murky enough that I don't want to chance it with my PC.

There is no PFS-specific rule that explicitly states that Inquisitors may not choose an animal/terrain Domain, but Inquisitors in PFS cannot select them none-the-less.

Inquisitors in PFS must choose a deity, and no deities grant access to the animal/terrain Domains found in Ultimate Magic.

You wouldn't be "chancing it", you'd be intentionally making an illegal character. It's that simple.

No. It is not that simple. You seem to be intentionally insulting when there is no need or justification.

I have never once said I would not take a deity even though you keep saying that. I specifically said I was planning on Gozreh.

Between the responses on this thread and all the GM's I have spoken with, about 2 out of 3 say that taking a nature deity would qualify as "nature themed." Therefore it would be allowed.

But as I have also said repeatedly, I don't want to start big long discussions at the table on game day. So I won't build the character that way. I will take eldritch heritage for a monkey familiar even though that isn't the way I wanted this PC to go.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Inquisitor with Animal and Terrain Domains? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.