Level 1 newbie gets a boon... re-rolling for advantage. Suggestions?


Pathfinder Society

Dark Archive

I played an Investigator during Virtual Table Top day... and received a Boon at the end of the game for a +1 or +2 ranged weapon enchantment... and I can purchase +1 enchantment pieces of ammunition in quantities of 10.

2 questions.

1. I'm still learning how to play as a newbie and want to re-roll for a basic class since I'm still level 1. Which class could make best use of the Boon?

2. Why would the Boon say (+1 or +2 Ranged weapon enchantment)? +2 is always better... right?

*****

BucketheadBaptist wrote:
1. I'm still learning how to play as a newbie and want to re-roll for a basic class since I'm still level 1. Which class could make best use of the Boon?

Any archer, really. Zen Archer (monk archetype), or Ranger (archery focus), or any number of other options.

Quote:
2. Why would the Boon say (+1 or +2 Ranged weapon enchantment)? +2 is always better... right?

+1 is cheaper. :)

****

Using the boon on +1 Arrows would be a waste, as you'd essentially be getting a cheaper supply of +1 arrows, when you'd better off with oils of magic weapon or simply a +1 bow when you can afford it.

Seeking, Bane (Human), Bane (evil outsider) are all popular +2 arrows, with +2 probably being the best.

As Patrick said, any Archery focused character can get a lot of milage out of this boon. Any bow user could really use a few seeking arrows to negate concealment, and bane make you incredibly bursty against a certain type of foe.

Dark Archive

Thanks!

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Agent, United Kingdom—England—Manchester aka Merisal The Risen

I was thinking it was either +1 or +2 ammunition only myself until I reread the boon. It is actually +1 ammunition with a +1 or +2 enhancement bonus added. (I assuming the boon is a Season 5 player boon #1)

So glad I did look at this aggain +2 arrows in batches of ten did not appeal that much. But now i am thinking and pondering possibilities...

Sczarni ***** ⦵⦵

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Is it just arrows? Or ammunition? I've only ever heard of the boon before, but batches of ten +2 paper cartridges in the hands of a gunslinger would be amazing.

(or, even stranger, +2 alchemist fires or +2 acid flasks, for those launching crossbows out there!)

Grand Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

Shuriken are treated as ammunition and would be valid for Flurry of Stars-using ninjas.

Dark Archive

Merisal The Risen wrote:

I was thinking it was either +1 or +2 ammunition only myself until I reread the boon. It is actually +1 ammunition with a +1 or +2 enhancement bonus added. (I assuming the boon is a Season 5 player boon #1)

So glad I did look at this aggain +2 arrows in batches of ten did not appeal that much. But now i am thinking and pondering possibilities...

Yes...

Season 5 Spoiler:
Season 5 Player Boon #1.

Here's the text:

"Custom Order: You have a special contract with an ammunition crafter, and you are able to order small batches of specialty ammunition as a result. Choose either a +1 or +2 ranged weapon enchantment. You may purchase +1(enchantment) pieces of ammunition in sets of 10 instead of sets of 50. Once you choose the weapon enchantment, you may only change the enchantment type by spending 4 Presitge Points."

I read that as I can buy +1 ammunition AND get a +1 or +2 Ranged weapon enchant.


oooohhhh... Ninja... nice suggestion.

However... I've already invested an hour or so in learning Rangers.

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

No, it only affects ammunition purchase, not a weapon purchase.

You choose a specific ranged weapon enhancement that has a +1 or +2 bonus cost, like Seeking, Bane (x), or Holy, as examples.

You can now purchase lots of only 10 (arrows) with that enhancement, rather than in the standard lots of 50 (arrows).

It significantly lowers the cost of the ammunition, and probably leaves you with enough for your needs without having an overabundance.

Example:
+1 Bane (Evil Outsider) arrows
+2 equivalent, 50 would cost 8,301 gp.
10, using the boon, would cost 830 gp, 1 sp.

At a later date, you decide you want to stock a few Holy arrows, so you spenbd 4 PP to change the enchantment type.

+1 Holy arrows
+3 equivalent, so 18,301 gp for 50.
10, using the boon, would cost 1,830 gp, 1 sp.

There are many base classes that can be built as archers, either stock (Fighter or Ranger) or using archetypes (Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue). Each build has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Agent, United Kingdom—England—Manchester aka Merisal The Risen

kinevon wrote:

No, it only affects ammunition purchase, not a weapon purchase.

You choose a specific ranged weapon enhancement that has a +1 or +2 bonus cost, like Seeking, Bane (x), or Holy, as examples.

You can now purchase lots of only 10 (arrows) with that enhancement, rather than in the standard lots of 50 (arrows).

It significantly lowers the cost of the ammunition, and probably leaves you with enough for your needs without having an overabundance.

Example:
+1 Bane (Evil Outsider) arrows
+2 equivalent, 50 would cost 8,301 gp.
10, using the boon, would cost 830 gp, 1 sp.

At a later date, you decide you want to stock a few Holy arrows, so you spenbd 4 PP to change the enchantment type.

+1 Holy arrows
+3 equivalent, so 18,301 gp for 50.
10, using the boon, would cost 1,830 gp, 1 sp.

There are many base classes that can be built as archers, either stock (Fighter or Ranger) or using archetypes (Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue). Each build has its own advantages and disadvantages.

The prices for 10 (or 20 per cent of 50 arrows) should be 1660 gp 2sp for the bane 3660gp 2sp for the holy but other than that no arguments from me

Dark Archive

kinevon wrote:

No, it only affects ammunition purchase, not a weapon purchase.

Mmmm... Ok.

Good thing I asked.

Thanks very much!!

Silver Crusade *

Combine this with a wand of endless ammunition and you are in business. I think I have one of these boons somewhere from CONtraflow last year if I could only find it and apply it to my gunslinger. You guys think +1 seeking or +1 xxx bane would be the better purchase?

Ohhhhhhh...what about +1 reliable alchemical paper cartridges?

***** ⦵⦵⦵

I don't think endless ammunition is a spell. Abundant ammunition (i think thats what you mean) doesn't work on magical ammunition.

Silver Crusade *

Yes I meant abundant ammunition, and I knew I should have re-read the spell before posting. Can someone come along and nuke my previous post so I'm not giving out bad information?

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Level 1 newbie gets a boon... re-rolling for advantage. Suggestions? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.