Just got an Ifrit boon and was looking for advice


Pathfinder Society


Still new to pathfinder and am planning on using it for my third character (I won it in a Christmas raffle my lodge was holding). Looking for advice on any class that would not necessarily be broken, but would be fun to play with an ifrit. Thanks for any help i receive.

Sovereign Court

First thing that comes to mind is a Wishcrafter Sorcerer since it's an Ifrit only Archetype. Immolator (Inquisitor) isn't very good. Also, Fire affinity dovetails well with a Elemental Fire blaster Sorcerer, though less with Fire Domain Clerics due to the Wisdom penalty. Beyond that, there are plenty of classes that would do well with a Dex/Cha race. Some ideas: Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger, Thug Rogue, Fire Mystery Oracle.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

When I get special boons, I typically try not to go with the obvious metagame uber optimize choice or the cliche rp choice. My Ifrit is a Fighter (two weapon--fighting fans) / rogue (poisoner). He's tons of fun to play. Although I did kinda go the optimized cliche route with my grippli in making him a ninja. I refused to go bard and name him Kermit though.

Grand Lodge

Andrew Christian wrote:
I refused to go bard and name him Kermit though.

And for that, I thank you.

I gave my Ifrit a single level of Diviner before going into Gunslinger to be a quickdraw shooter.

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

Andrew Christian wrote:
my grippli in making him a ninja.

I'm imagining him as a teenager with a vestigial arm...

Liberty's Edge 5/5

James Risner wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
my grippli in making him a ninja.
I'm imagining him as a teenager with a vestigial arm...

No, I actually created this character seriously. While there are comedic moments with him, because I took the Agile Tongue feat, he is a serious character that actually has survived both Bonekeep 1 and 2.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Andrew Christian wrote:
James Risner wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
my grippli in making him a ninja.
I'm imagining him as a teenager with a vestigial arm...
No, I actually created this character seriously. While there are comedic moments with him, because I took the Agile Tongue feat, he is a serious character that actually has survived both Bonekeep 1 and 2.

ME EAT BONEKEEPS TOO

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

To be fair, Master Garble only survived that terrible place because his companions were so well prepared. I would go as far to say that they survived despite traveling with a goblin.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northwest aka WalterGM

Gunslinger Ifrit are quite quick if they take the alternate favored class bonus, as well as wildfire heart.

Silver Crusade

I've got an Ifrit Swashbuckler in Dragon's Demand that is a ton of fun. Oh, and by the way: Go with the Enlarge Person option; Enlarging an ally as a standard action is fantastic, while burning hands is pretty meh.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

Alex McGuire wrote:
I've got an Ifrit Swashbuckler in Dragon's Demand that is a ton of fun. Oh, and by the way: Go with the Enlarge Person option; Enlarging an ally as a standard action is fantastic, while burning hands is pretty meh.

Casting Enlarge Person is a Full Round action even when you do it as a spell-like ability.

Edit

Hmmmm...then again...maybe not.

PRD wrote:
spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A constant spell-like ability or one that can be used at will has no use limit; unless otherwise stated, a creature can only use a constant spell-like ability on itself. Reactivating a constant spell-like ability is a swift action. Using all other spell-like abilities is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so provokes attacks of opportunity.

Could have sworn I read somewhere they still used the spell casting time. Guess those Demons summoning in other Demons with spell-like abilities just got nastier.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento aka FLite

I'm waiting for the full Advanced Class Guide before I build my scimitar wielding Ifrit Swashbuckler. It just seems so in character. I am thinking I may hold onto my fire resistance so I can get fire ink tattoos. Purely for the cool effect.


Ifrit make good Charisma based casters(Bard/Oracle/Sorcerer) and Dervish Dancers/Dexterity based martials(Bard/Swashbuckler/Gunslinger). The hit to wisdom is bleh, but +4 racial to initiative is amazing. They can be pretty flavorful, even trade out the SLA for a bonus to craft and saves.

Wishcrafter is pretty bleh, imo. Heart's desire looks awesome and great for RP, but the actual abilities are bleh and replacing your bonus spells with bonus spells you can't cast on yourself from your own list is both a nerf and extra bookkeeping.

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

Buckleswasher!

Shadow Lodge 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Winter witch!

Sovereign Court 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
zefig wrote:
Winter witch!

You joke, but I have been seriously planning out a crossblooded sorcerer/winter oracle ifrit that has really cool snowball blasts. I just need to nail down a build at this point, but it looks sweet.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento aka FLite

Shouldn't that be "really cold snowball blasts?"

5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka Yiroep

Ifrit make excellent oracles, with having +cha and a fantastic alternate oracle favored class bonus. I've pondered a flame mystery oracle that has higher dex than charisma and getting an agile amulet of mighty fists and beat things with my slam attacks as a fire elemental since being a fire elemental gives you even more dex. Not to mention you'll have awesome initiative as a result (definitely take the +4 initiative alternate racial trait).

Shadow Lodge 5/5

James McTeague wrote:
zefig wrote:
Winter witch!
You joke, but I have been seriously planning out a crossblooded sorcerer/winter oracle ifrit that has really cool snowball blasts. I just need to nail down a build at this point, but it looks sweet.

Only half kidding...nothing screams winter witch about ifrit, but nothing's really BAD eather. I've considered it myself, but I think now I'm likely to be going archer paladin with my own ifrit boon. Just not sure which deity yet.


Thanks this is all really helpful. I was considering oracle or sorcerer because it seems like the most fun for me. ( I have a bard he is the worlds most beautiful man)


Bakutaku wrote:
Thanks this is all really helpful. I was considering oracle or sorcerer because it seems like the most fun for me. ( I have a bard he is the worlds most beautiful man)

With an Ifrit you could play the worlds hottest man...


I was considering making mine an ex-Qadiran slave turned Andoran ninja. He'd keep the cultural trappings of a Keleshite while adopting a more freedom and equality based world-view. And quietly kill folks who don't approve of 'Murica.. I mean Andoran.

I've also toyed with the notion of partnering him up with the as-yet-uncreated character for a buddy to play: any race alchemist with smoke bombs. Of course, I'd have Firesight feat (possibly Moonlight Stalker, too!) to really stick it to 'em, especially if I went all TWF...

OK, I'll calm down, now. It's just that Firesight is a really awesome feat for sneaky types.

Scarab Sages

If I had an Ifrit boon, I might well choose to be a Wishcrafter, as RtrnofdMax first suggested - but here's something out of left field: How about a Cavalier? They benefit from a good Charisma, some Orders (such as Cockatrice, Lion, and Star) more than others. You could have a nice (pretty vicious, actually) character you could simply describe as a "Knave" if you dovetailed an Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier with at least 3 levels or Rogue or Ninja - and if you do, the Animal Archive offers a feat that allows your Mount to progress to an extent in spite of your straying from the path of the Cavalier. Summoner is, of course, another sound possibility, and they have enough fire spells in their repertoire (with a little advancement, at least) for you to favor.

Liberty's Edge 3/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

My Boon is being saved for my Erol Flynn wannabe Swashbuckler, hehehe he should be great fun

Shadow Lodge

Tower Shield Fighter

Scarab Sages 2/5

Paladin / Dawnflower combo.
Take the flagbearer feat (party will like you even more)
Dump wisdom and Int, 18 Cha and Dex. (level 2 pally will more than compensate for saves, even with a 5 wisdom)
With just 1 level of bard, you get 11 rounds of dance a day (including trait)
The dance stacks with the flag bearer feat.

at lvl 2, scimitar 1d8 damage (18-20 crit), (+7 hit and dam) +4 for dex, +1 flag, +2 dance
level 3 take power attack or the heat weapons line.
1 bard / 1 pally ...take pally the rest of the way.

Just started this character, so I'll see how it goes.
He's essentially a self consumed, brooding ifrit dedicated to Sarenrae

Scarab Sages

I really enjoy my ifrit inquisitor of Sarenrae [flame].

I did not choose the imolator archetype, because bane is more versatile then the flaming ability. She is a dervish dancer.

Ifrit is by far not the best choice for inquisitor. However, i still have lots of fun with her none the less. She can also do considerable amounts of damage with the proper buffs.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Missouri—Cape Girardeau aka Arnim Thayer

Andrew Christian wrote:
When I get special boons, I typically try not to go with the obvious metagame uber optimize choice or the cliche rp choice. My Ifrit is a Fighter (two weapon--fighting fans) / rogue (poisoner). He's tons of fun to play. Although I did kinda go the optimized cliche route with my grippli in making him a ninja. I refused to go bard and name him Kermit though.

I, on the other hand, did exactly that... in hopes of playing for full irritation effect at one of Seth's Egypt Wars tables in 2014. LOL!

5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka Yiroep

I always thought that Immolator inquisitor would be a great intimidator with Blistering Invective.

Ifrit would also make a great Gunslinger/Shieldmarshal.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

Cascade wrote:

Paladin / Dawnflower combo.

Take the flagbearer feat (party will like you even more)
Dump wisdom and Int, 18 Cha and Dex. (level 2 pally will more than compensate for saves, even with a 5 wisdom)
With just 1 level of bard, you get 11 rounds of dance a day (including trait)
The dance stacks with the flag bearer feat.

at lvl 2, scimitar 1d8 damage (18-20 crit), (+7 hit and dam) +4 for dex, +1 flag, +2 dance
level 3 take power attack or the heat weapons line.
1 bard / 1 pally ...take pally the rest of the way.

Just started this character, so I'll see how it goes.
He's essentially a self consumed, brooding ifrit dedicated to Sarenrae

Don't you have to have your off-hand empty to use the Dervish Dance ability?

Shadow Lodge

Diviner Wizard. You know why? Because combine it with greensting scorpion familiar, improved initiative feat, 18Dex, reactionary, and wildfire heart racial trait. ALWAYS GO FIRST! (You are looking at a +19 at first level, a +21 at 6th level, and a +27 Initiative at 12th level before you buy a dex belt). Don't know what you will do the first round, but you are a wizard, so you have plenty of options.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

ArmouredMonk13 wrote:
Diviner Wizard. You know why? Because combine it with greensting scorpion familiar, improved initiative feat, 18Dex, reactionary, and wildfire heart racial trait. ALWAYS GO FIRST! (You are looking at a +19 at first level, a +21 at 6th level, and a +27 Initiative at 12th level before you buy a dex belt). Don't know what you will do the first round, but you are a wizard, so you have plenty of options.

What's his Int going to be, though?

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

I've been toying with building an Immolator Inquisitor of Moloch and flavoring the burnt offering ability as conscripting souls to fight in Hell's armies. It wont come together until 5th level or so, but it sounds like a hoot to play. :)

If you want a build that will make your allies hate you, try Ninja, grab Fire Sight, and use smoke bombs liberally. You'll be able to see, but pretty much no one else (including the other PCs) will :)

Scarab Sages 2/5

kinevon wrote:
Cascade wrote:

Paladin / Dawnflower combo.

Take the flagbearer feat (party will like you even more)
Dump wisdom and Int, 18 Cha and Dex. (level 2 pally will more than compensate for saves, even with a 5 wisdom)
With just 1 level of bard, you get 11 rounds of dance a day (including trait)
The dance stacks with the flag bearer feat.

at lvl 2, scimitar 1d8 damage (18-20 crit), (+7 hit and dam) +4 for dex, +1 flag, +2 dance
level 3 take power attack or the heat weapons line.
1 bard / 1 pally ...take pally the rest of the way.

Just started this character, so I'll see how it goes.
He's essentially a self consumed, brooding ifrit dedicated to Sarenrae

Don't you have to have your off-hand empty to use the Dervish Dance ability?

Dervish Dance (Combat)

You have learned to turn your speed into power, even with
a heavier blade.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse, Perform
(dance) 2 ranks, proficient with scimitar.
Benefit: When wielding a scimitar with one hand, you
can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength
modifier on melee attack and damage rolls. You treat the
scimitar as a one-handed piercing weapon for all feats and
class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a duelist’s
precise strike ability). The scimitar must be for a creature
of your size. You cannot use this feat if you are carrying a
weapon or shield in your off hand.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northwest aka WalterGM

Andrew Roberts wrote:

I always thought that Immolator inquisitor would be a great intimidator with Blistering Invective.

Ifrit would also make a great Gunslinger/Shieldmarshal.

This is what Sir Knight Captain Thorne, First Sheriff of the Grand Duchy of Alkenstar is -- with a splash of inquisitor for flavor.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Just got an Ifrit boon and was looking for advice All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.