Locking down a teleporter


Advice


I've been wondering, what's the most effective way to lock down a teleporter? In one of my games we've been facing a particularly annoying drow that teleports away. While that is very appropriate for the enemy to do, I still want to stop them.

The "easiest" way is with dimensional anchor, but since that requires going through spell resistance (in my case), it is highly irritating. Any more effective ways?

Dark Archive

Not knowing your level and what spells you have animate rope might be able to help you as it can entangle the drow and he does not get his SR. You do have to make a ranged touch attack when you throw the rope.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Grapple him and stuff him in a Bag of Holding? Can't TP out of an extra dimensional space...


The problem is, we are a caster-heavy party (me (magus), a summoner, a bard, a druid & a sorcerer), none of which know dimensional anchor... Not that they cant, they simply decide to not learn it. We're level 9. We've used scrolls of dimensional anchor before, but against SR we've wasted quite a few.


Silence spell.
Chokehold.
Spells that increase his encumbrance above max load or Strength penalties until he is over-encumbered. Can't teleport above max load.
Energy drain away his spell slots before he realizes how quickly they're disappearing.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

Ready a dispel magic for the moment he tries to leave and use that to counter his spell. Also, silence rocks can be fun. If your caster doesn't want to do stuff like that, you can ready a nice arrow to the face... Concentration checks put a cramp in folks' style.


A lot of the methods proposed could work... but have their issues;

for one, the readied action assumes we know when they are going to cast, and generally they have enough minions attacking for us to be able to spare a member of the team.

Silence will cramp ALL our styles, since we are all casters; me & the summoner's eidolon are the frontliners, though the bard can be decent in the frontline.

I could start using frostbite on them to lower their strength, though again, there is still the SR problem.


Have you considered that the GM doesn't want him to not teleport away? What if he turns out to be REALLY powerful, and you were supposed to wait 5 levels to kill him?


Maybe so. We have defeated the enemy before, but we decided to be merciful. I'm starting to regret it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Get a scroll of planar binding or two. Then call up some Cerberi.
Dimension door yourself and the Cerberi right next to the drow. Or have the summoner do it.


If he is not flying create pit stop teleport.


Phase Locking quality on a weapon (Say a bow) would be useful, functions as a dimensional anchor, 1 round, but doesn't trigger SR in the same way. Just need to keep hitting the thing first each new round before it gets to act.


The best counterspell in high level pathfinder is a high damage spell, preferably one that doesn't require SR. The best debuff is death. Perhaps you should just set up to burst him down before he can do anything? Maybe delay actions strategically so that he goes either before all of you or after all of you? After all you can't teleport if dead/unconscious.


A deadly poison that you have the only antidote for. He will come to you.

I'm not terribly well versed in Pathfinder spells so I'm giving myself a crash course in the topic them I'll get back to you.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
williamoak wrote:

I've been wondering, what's the most effective way to lock down a teleporter? In one of my games we've been facing a particularly annoying drow that teleports away. While that is very appropriate for the enemy to do, I still want to stop them.

The "easiest" way is with dimensional anchor, but since that requires going through spell resistance (in my case), it is highly irritating. Any more effective ways?

Killing them always works. Otherwise what you want is an Anti-Magic field.


You have a level 9 druid that can't just transform into a dire tiger, charge the drow elf and use it's pounce ability to get all three attacks (some argue it's 5, but anyway), with each attack having the +grab ability, and get him grappled? Once you grapple him (hard to cast), just pin him the next round (makes it virtually impossible to cast).

What kind of level 9 druid is playing with you?

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Pick up some Dweomer's Essence and/or Piercing Spell to get past that SR with Dimensional Anchor.


Moondragon Starshadow wrote:

You have a level 9 druid that can't just transform into a dire tiger, charge the drow elf and use it's pounce ability to get all three attacks (some argue it's 5, but anyway), with each attack having the +grab ability, and get him grappled? Once you grapple him (hard to cast), just pin him the next round (makes it virtually impossible to cast).

What kind of level 9 druid is playing with you?

Our druid is a coward... he likes to turn into an elemental, hide in the scenery, and summon critters to do his work. He's a funny character, but his usefulness in combat is limited.

I will pick up some dweomer essence though. Would that work even if the spell is cast from a scroll?


LazarX wrote:
williamoak wrote:

I've been wondering, what's the most effective way to lock down a teleporter? In one of my games we've been facing a particularly annoying drow that teleports away. While that is very appropriate for the enemy to do, I still want to stop them.

The "easiest" way is with dimensional anchor, but since that requires going through spell resistance (in my case), it is highly irritating. Any more effective ways?

Killing them always works. Otherwise what you want is an Anti-Magic field.

This. There's no metamagic feat for casting while dead.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Locking down a teleporter All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.