Mass Effect 4: About?


Video Games

1 to 50 of 103 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

What are you thinking it will be about? Or what would you like it to be about?

I had the idea that maybe the main villains would be a raise from one of the previous cycles that tried to do like Javik and the protheans and sleep out the reapers but in this case they actually succeed. They got the wake up call when the reapers were dealt with and now they are rising to retake the galaxy. Throw in some dealing with the fallout from the last war and it could work.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mass Effect 4: The Quest for Money.

Sovereign Court

without relays wouldn't it be mass effect 4000 years later.....


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Have they said its going to be 4000 years in the future? Also, as I recall the fix of the ending shows the relays to be repairable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mass Effect 4: Turns out the Reapers had it right after all!

You play the role of an inanimate toaster determined to disconnect from the Synthetic master race.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I demand Shepard's blue-skinned descendants be playable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is a rumor doing the rounds about some focus group testing being run regarding Mass Effect, with the individual posting the information claiming that it seemed EA/Bioware understood that most people were looking for a sequel series (and that the focus group overwhelmingly chose a sequel series over other options).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

That's too bad. I'd like to see them do 'something else' in the setting. Something that didn't involve the main Shepard plot.

But then again, I also like non-jedi stories in my Star Wars, so I think my opinions are invalid anyway. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm going to assume red ending is the canon one, as it preserves the status quo most.

Blue ending Shepard becoming the machine god of the galaxy and ushering a new age of posthuman science and peace. It would be a very different galaxy to play in.

Post-green ending would just confuse everyone.


Slaunyeh wrote:
That's too bad. I'd like to see them do 'something else' in the setting. Something that didn't involve the main Shepard plot.

I doubt very much that it will continue the Shepard plot. I think the word "sequel" here merely refers to the universe's chronology, with the new series taking place after Mass Effect 3, rather than before the first game or alongside the first series.

Sovereign Court

Awww, that sucks. First contact war would have been awesome.


Scott Betts wrote:
I doubt very much that it will continue the Shepard plot. I think the word "sequel" here merely refers to the universe's chronology, with the new series taking place after Mass Effect 3, rather than before the first game or alongside the first series.

By "Shepard plot" I mean continuing the current storyline. I thought they had initially made statements that they had no plans to do that (I don't have a source, alas). Of course, plans can change.

Still, too bad, if they go that route. I would have liked something to further explore the setting we know from the ME games, rather than something dealing with the fallout of the ME3 ending. I think the setting is strong enough to tell more stories in it.

That said, it would rather amuse me if the ME4 plot was "they were right. Without the reapers, Synthetics eventually destroyed all life in the galaxy. You're an AI seeking allies as you rise up in rebellion against the omnipotent God-Machine."

I'd play that. :)


That would be awesome. A giant plot to find an isolated enclave of reapers to protect us all from Skynet.


All that I have heard about ME4 is that it will not star shepherd...which doesnt really help it could be a sequel, prequel, or takes place at the same time with different characters (what ever that is called)

Myself I hope it is a sequel, part of another trilogy, and that you can create you own character (and choose diffrent races)


Oooooooh I could finally play a blueberry!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

With the Relays getting repaired at the end of 3, my fervent hope is that ME4 will pick up some years after the events of 3 with the main goal being exploration beyond a previously dark relay.

Since the relays served as the carrier for whichever effect you chose at the end of 3, it stands to reason that dark relays and the regions beyond might not have been affected. I'm not looking for another heinous extra-galactic threat to fight, but rather a blank canvas that can still allow for your decisions in the first trilogy to determine the initial setting and the Prologue.

Did you save the Geth and doom the Quarians? You can have a Geth member on your crew but not a Quarian. Did you choose Destroy? Errr - guess you can't have that Geth crew member after all! Did you please the Salarian Dalatrass and screw the Krogan? Maybe you can have a Salarian on your crew. Or access to Salarian equipment or class trees for your hero. I just can't express how much this game would excite me if they run in this direction (or one similar to it at least).

I'd love to get a vessel and crew and be sent through a dark relay only to get stranded on the other side. The first game in the ME series had such a sense of wonder, discovery, and exploration about it. The second and third installations got away from that a bit and I'd really enjoy returning to that spirit and theme.

Sovereign Court

I wouldn't mind a game that takes place during Shepard's death in ME2. I think it would be neat to become archangel as Garris, an info dealer as liara, Tali back with the migrant fleet. You could even have Jacob and Miranda stories in there. Just an idea I think would be fun.

Where is this "relays can be patched up" stuff coming from I think I missed it.


Pan wrote:
Where is this "relays can be patched up" stuff coming from I think I missed it.

It was showed in a clip during the Extended Cut DLC for ME3's ending. And besides, if the relays weren't repairable, that'd leave how many fleets and species basically stranded in Earth's solar system? That'd be a death sentence for, like... everyone!


Maybe a prequel set during the Turian Wars.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mikaze wrote:
I demand Shepard's blue-skinned descendants be playable.

You mean his adopted children with Tali, right?

Sovereign Court

Dal Selpher wrote:
Pan wrote:
Where is this "relays can be patched up" stuff coming from I think I missed it.
It was showed in a clip during the Extended Cut DLC for ME3's ending. And besides, if the relays weren't repairable, that'd leave how many fleets and species basically stranded in Earth's solar system? That'd be a death sentence for, like... everyone!

What was shown? It has been at least a year since I played ME3 so I am rusty on the endings.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
magnuskn wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
I demand Shepard's blue-skinned descendants be playable.
You mean his adopted children with Tali, right?

What are you two talking about? Shepard is a woman!


Slaunyeh wrote:
Scott Betts wrote:
I doubt very much that it will continue the Shepard plot. I think the word "sequel" here merely refers to the universe's chronology, with the new series taking place after Mass Effect 3, rather than before the first game or alongside the first series.

By "Shepard plot" I mean continuing the current storyline. I thought they had initially made statements that they had no plans to do that (I don't have a source, alas). Of course, plans can change.

Still, too bad, if they go that route. I would have liked something to further explore the setting we know from the ME games, rather than something dealing with the fallout of the ME3 ending. I think the setting is strong enough to tell more stories in it.

My expectation is that we will be exploring the setting we know from the first ME games. Certain things will be a bit different, perhaps (likely no Geth, and people may still be putting out the fires left over from the war, and who knows what the state of the Citadel will be), but by and large this should still be the Mass Effect universe we spent the first three games in.


Pan wrote:
I wouldn't mind a game that takes place during Shepard's death in ME2. I think it would be neat to become archangel as Garris, an info dealer as liara, Tali back with the migrant fleet. You could even have Jacob and Miranda stories in there. Just an idea I think would be fun.

While there is some wiggle room here, some of these stories have already been fleshed out in novel form.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
I demand Shepard's blue-skinned descendants be playable.
You mean his adopted children with Tali, right?
What are you two talking about? Shepard is a woman!

You're damn right she is. And I want to be able to play as her blue-skinned descendant.


The strongest indications to date have been a prequel. Originally the Rachni Wars were mooted as a setting, and I think have a game with no humans at all in it would have been fascinating. However, they seem to backed away from that and a game set during the First Contact War has been most heavily rumoured recently.

The idea of a sequel is potentially controversial: BioWare would have to pick one ending from ME3 and declare that canonical, which would rankle with fans who were told their choices had consequence and MASS EFFECT was their story. BioWare turning around and saying, "Hey, 'Synthesis' is what really happened, tough luck to everyone who preferred something else," seems counter to that idea.

Then again, everyone and their uncle either simply replayed the ending 3 times to get all the endings or watched them on YouTube, so maybe it doesn't matter.

As for the relays:

Spoiler:
IIRC, 'Synthesis' and 'Control' both show the relays surviving, albeit heavily damaged and repairable. 'Synthesis' I think was also the only one to show the Citadel surviving, which is why I think that's the most likely ending to be declared canon.

In any case, whilst the mass relays massively speed FTL travel from cluster to cluster, there is - I believe - still a standard FTL drive which allows travel from system to system at a much slower rate.


Freehold DM wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
I demand Shepard's blue-skinned descendants be playable.
You mean his adopted children with Tali, right?
What are you two talking about? Shepard is a woman!

He is and she isn't. This whole non canonical gender thing is complicated...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
MrSin wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
I demand Shepard's blue-skinned descendants be playable.
You mean his adopted children with Tali, right?
What are you two talking about? Shepard is a woman!
He is and she isn't. This whole non canonical gender thing is complicated...

Although I recognize that many people like FemShep, I got to tout the advantages of BroShep. You get to be with Tali and Garrus is the best bro ever in the history of games. Team Dextro FTW! Also, I love Mark Meer's understated (but layered) performance as Shepard.

Sovereign Court

Dunno. Even though I am MaleShep all the way, Mark Meer's performance falls a little flat. Only time he actually does well is in emotional scenes.

Liara FTW.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
magnuskn wrote:
You get to be with Tali and Garrus is the best bro ever in the history of games. Team Dextro FTW! Also, I love Mark Meer's understated (but layered) performance as Shepard.

I connected with Thane more than Garrus, personally, but I still agree with this. The conversation between Garrus and BroShep before the final push was intensely great. I do have to disagree on romancing Tali though. For some reason, I immediately developed a younger sister vibe with her from the outset, so the idea of my Shepard pursuing her romantically is a bit jarring. Liara started to get my attention with the Shadowbroker DLC, but in the end I stuck with Ash. There was something about the tough girl who loves poetry that won out over the exotic alien researcher turned espionage queen.

I too enjoyed Mark's performance as Shepard. I think he navigated the shades between Paragon and Renegade really, really well. Loved his performance.

If the next game is a sequel, I'd be tickled if you get to find holorecordings either of Shepard or ones he deliberately recorded.


AS I understand it the most recent word is chronological sequel.


I connected with Ash in ME1, but I found the relationship with Tali just a bit more heartening, so I stuck with her in ME2 and ME3. Liara's friendship worked better for me than her romance. But going back to Ash was good too. Really, is there a wrong option from those presented for romance?

Me, I still want to see BroShep and Tali's descendants. That whole thing with retaking Rannoch ("beachfront property") and going on alone to the Citadel tore my heart,so I'm all for seeing Tali's kids down the road. Plot? Meh. They'll figure something out, I want to just see how my team worked out their issues :)


I'd like to see a new team of characters. Perhaps an Elcor navigator who sits in a pit on the ship surrounded by monitors and biotic controlled equipment.

Heading beyond a previously dark relay sounds good. new planets and adventures without the baggage of the trilogy.

Sovereign Court

Werthead wrote:

The strongest indications to date have been a prequel. Originally the Rachni Wars were mooted as a setting, and I think have a game with no humans at all in it would have been fascinating. However, they seem to backed away from that and a game set during the First Contact War has been most heavily rumoured recently.

The idea of a sequel is potentially controversial: BioWare would have to pick one ending from ME3 and declare that canonical, which would rankle with fans who were told their choices had consequence and MASS EFFECT was their story. BioWare turning around and saying, "Hey, 'Synthesis' is what really happened, tough luck to everyone who preferred something else," seems counter to that idea.

Then again, everyone and their uncle either simply replayed the ending 3 times to get all the endings or watched them on YouTube, so maybe it doesn't matter.

As for the relays:

** spoiler omitted **

They were not afraid to railroad before, I am sure they are not afraid now to pick an ending. They are kind of damned if they do with ME in a lot of ways. The movie already has 50% of folks crying about shep not being bro/fem. So I agree that it ultimately doesn't matter.

One thing I continue to struggle with is the repairable relays. Not sure I get the point of shutting them down if within a lifetime they can be turned back on. I think it would be neat to see what happens if they could not be repaired. Geth wouldn't mind much they could survive the trip home. The other races are just the military but would still need to find a base or new home. Would stress things out a lot in the Sol system. Sounds like a great story to me.

Sovereign Court

The movie? Links please!

Sovereign Court

Hama wrote:
The movie? Links please!

It's still in early development I think they are writing the script. Unless they do something really drastic like make Shep a hermaphrodite they will have no choice but to choose a fem/bro shep.


I am not sure I see the problem there. Every save game has the look of Shepard stored, so images can still be done if necessary, with the standard (probably, though it irks me) bro-shep as the default if no saved game exists. Also not much of a problem is the ending chosen... generally. Assume Destroy, then if someone has a Control or Synthesis game, what would really be the problem? London still gets rebuilt. Synthesis makes people's eyes and skin a bit weird, but nothing major otherwise. Control also shouldn't matter too much, because God-shepard is out doing... something... and the reapers are helping it do that. EDI should at most be a cameo role, and I am sure they could add some little optional mission that features a geth if Destroy wasn't chosen. In short, I really don't see the big problem here.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
I am not sure I see the problem there. Every save game has the look of Shepard stored, so images can still be done if necessary, with the standard (probably, though it irks me) bro-shep as the default if no saved game exists. Also not much of a problem is the ending chosen... generally. Assume Destroy, then if someone has a Control or Synthesis game, what would really be the problem? London still gets rebuilt. Synthesis makes people's eyes and skin a bit weird, but nothing major otherwise. Control also shouldn't matter too much, because God-shepard is out doing... something... and the reapers are helping it do that. EDI should at most be a cameo role, and I am sure they could add some little optional mission that features a geth if Destroy wasn't chosen. In short, I really don't see the big problem here.

If you think people were upset about their actions being supposedly nullified the first time around, wait until you tell them that the galaxy-shaking decision that you made at the end of the first trilogy amounts to nothing more than giving everyone glowy skin.


Scott Betts wrote:

If you think people were upset about their actions being supposedly nullified the first time around, wait until you tell them that the galaxy-shaking decision that you made at the end of the first trilogy amounts to nothing more than giving everyone glowy skin.

This is one of the reasons why I think going through a previously dark relay would work so well. You basically have the Prologue shaped by all the previous trilogy's decisions and then more of a blank slate on the other side of the relay. Similar-ish to Dragon Age: Origins' multiple origin stories based on your chosen race and class.

Thing is, I think the prologue portion would need to be of rather decent length and I imagine building such varied versions of the introductory chapter would be a crap ton of work.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

There's no way that Synthesis will be the standard ending, unless they manage to retcon the whole "circuit skin" thing. At the very least, the story implications make it pretty much a no-go, too. Control... maybe, but unlikely, if they want to make a clean break with Shepard. So, Destroy it is.

Did I mention that all three endings suck, because each one makes you into a monster? Aside from the myriad of other BS stuff around the endings, but that particular piece of "FU!" from the writers still stands out to me.


Circuit skin is easy to add to templates. Honestly... to most people, things would work just the same whether the galaxy gets red, green or blue. And no, the rage about different colours was because it's an ENDING. With a new BEGINNING, especially if what was changed in the three endings is accounted for, things will be different.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't think that a Synthesis story would be very relatable to a mass audience, which is what they are shooting for.


It doesn't have to be. It just has to be relatable to the sod who chose the synthesis-ended save game to import. See? Just because you don't play Shepard in ME4 doesn't mean you can't import stuff off a save.

Liberty's Edge

I doubt there will be any import since there's almost no chance it will come out for PS3 or 360, so accessing old saves will be close to impossible.


Quote:
Did I mention that all three endings suck, because each one makes you into a monster? Aside from the myriad of other BS stuff around the endings, but that particular piece of "FU!" from the writers still stands out to me.

I'm guessing you don't believe in the Kobayashi Maru? ;)


Actually I doubt it wouldn't be on 360. Not sure about ps3. xb1 has too much bad press to make it an exclusive for that system.


Quote:
I doubt there will be any import since there's almost no chance it will come out for PS3 or 360, so accessing old saves will be close to impossible.

There'll probably be a variant of the 'story so far' thing they used in the previous games so people can make the important decisions quickly for the game without a save. PC players, I presume, can directly import their saves across.

But yeah, this is another reason why I think they were initially preferring a prequel as the way to go.

Sovereign Court

360 is a dead console. I think that no new games will be coming out for it very soon.

Liberty's Edge

That's exactly what I said.

The Exchange

Unless of course they make a cross paltform version of Dragon Age Keep for Mass Effect (which I think is part of what they want it to do otherwise why not just use Origins cloud storage.)

1 to 50 of 103 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Video Games / Mass Effect 4: About? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.